Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT- Best Rock n Roll pianist ever?
Posted by: aliceinseattle ()
Date: November 3, 2015 15:45

I see some very. very good players mentioned. I'll go with Chuck Leavell and Bill Payne from Little Feat.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 3, 2015 15:54

Beethoven

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:07

StonedAsia
Johnnie Johnson. Without him, no Chuck Berry. No Chuck Berry, no Keith Richards. Ok, it is a stretch but...

I don't think it's that much of a stretch - I'm sure Keith would admit as much. In fact you could almost call Johnnie Johnson one of the great rock'n'roll guitarists - ok, now maybe that IS a stretch.

For me it's Johnnie Johnson who's the greatest but for sheer exuberance and rock'n'roll spirit, Jerry Lee and Little Richard. They're all awesome!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:28

Kind of depends how you define 'best'.

From a pure excitement and breaking new ground perspective, Jerry Lee Lewis would seem to have to be the man. Little Richard may be a close 2nd.

From a technical perspective you have a much more broad range of folks to choose from. Keith Emerson comes to mind.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:39

Rattle and Hum Hum here! Ray Manzarek ffs...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:40

Johnnie Johnson
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Roy Bittan
Ian Stewart
Nicky Hopkins
Stevie Wonder
Billy Joel
Elton John
Billy Preston

Posted by: MrBobMartini ()
Date: November 3, 2015 17:03

I know it's not necessarily Rock 'n Roll, but Dr. John was always one of my favorites. Stu, Nicky, Johnnie Johnson, Little Richard, and Ian McLagan are all right up there.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 3, 2015 17:11

I love this clip with the great playing, especially Johnnie Johnson and Chuck Berry.
On second thoughts they all played damn well. thumbs up

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-03 20:16 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: November 3, 2015 17:20

JohnnyBGoode
I've just discovered the band Stuff. Listening to the debut album, Foots and Do You Want Some Of This, holy smoke!
Stuff were great! Check out their Live at Montreux album. Fantastic!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 3, 2015 17:27

Claude Russell Bridges aka

Leon Russell

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 3, 2015 17:34

Johnnie Johnson

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 3, 2015 17:36

Ray Charles? More R&B, than R&R, but then so are some others mentioned.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:02

latebloomer
Ray Charles? More R&B, than R&R, but then so are some others mentioned.
Mess Around is a GREAT rock'n'roll number.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:06

stones2000
Who would you say was/is the greatest rock n roll piano player in history? I think of people like Little Richard and Fats Domino. There are so many to choose from. Maybe Chuck Leavell? Hopefully this will be an interesting topic

WHAT!!!!!!!???????? How anyone could say Chuck Leavell and "best rock'n'roll pianist ever" in the same universe is out of their minds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Jerry Lee Lewis, of course. The only one that comes close is Little Richard.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:16

GasLightStreet
stones2000
Who would you say was/is the greatest rock n roll piano player in history? I think of people like Little Richard and Fats Domino. There are so many to choose from. Maybe Chuck Leavell? Hopefully this will be an interesting topic

WHAT!!!!!!!???????? How anyone could say Chuck Leavell and "best rock'n'roll pianist ever" in the same universe is out of their minds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Jerry Lee Lewis, of course. The only one that comes close is Little Richard.

Fats Domino also comes close

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:23

I'd put Johnnie Johnson, Little Richard & Jerry Lee Lewis at the top of the pile in a tie for 0 place. Meaning that the three of them are understood to be above all others and thus "excluded from competition" and making room for others to have a chance.

At the 1st place level I'd mention people like Nicky Hopkins, Leon Russell, Dr. John & Billy Payne (Little Feat) possibly including Billy Joel and Elton John. Remember: we (at a Stones web forum) may not care much for Elton & Billy Joel but that doesn't take away from the fact that both were/are monster piano players.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:33

True Mr DJA.
I'm not a huge fan of Elton, but no denying he has some great songs that were all over the radio in the '70s (and a few decent ones in the '80s's).
I took my wife to see him last year in Hawaii, and along with all the big hits, there were some moments where he played some intense virtuoso piano.
From classical to boogie woogie, and everything in between - it was a showcase of the highest calibur.

With that said, he's not even on my top 10 list of greatest piano players. grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:36

Whilst maybe not technically brilliant I love the feeling of the piano work on Lennons Imagine album. John and Nicky Hopkins, I recall.
Also Leon Russell on Dylans Watching the river flow and the piano work on the 1970 New Morning album.
Also Randy Newman.....though I guess he isnt really rock n roll.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:38

That depends on the definition of rock 'n' roll.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:59

Hairball
True Mr DJA.
I'm not a huge fan of Elton, but no denying he has some great songs that were all over the radio in the '70s (and a few decent ones in the '80s's).
I took my wife to see him last year in Hawaii, and along with all the big hits, there were some moments where he played some intense virtuoso piano.
From classical to boogie woogie, and everything in between - it was a showcase of the highest calibur.

With that said, he's not even on my top 10 list of greatest piano players. grinning smiley

Won't get much argument from me about EJ not being top 10... I listed 7 guys before even bringing him up and I left people like Fats, Wakeman, Emerson and Richard Wright off the list.

In the grand scheme of things, I really can't argue much at all in this topic as I really don't have the "keyboard knowledge" to determine what would make one better than the other. Fun discussion none the less!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 3, 2015 19:14

mr_dja
Hairball
True Mr DJA.

Won't get much argument from me about EJ not being top 10... I listed 7 guys before even bringing him up and I left people like Fats, Wakeman, Emerson and Richard Wright off the list.

In the grand scheme of things, I really can't argue much at all in this topic as I really don't have the "keyboard knowledge" to determine what would make one better than the other. Fun discussion none the less!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Same here regarding "keyboard knowledge".
Even though some of them might play 'technically better' (as in reading music, classically trained, etc), it all comes down to personal preference.

I'd add Steve Winwood if not mentioned already.
And Jon Lord (Deep Purple), but now I suppose we're veering into 'best keyboardist' territory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-03 19:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 19:33

NICKY

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: November 3, 2015 19:44

Don't konw if they are the best, but my favorites

Mike Garson
Nicky Hopkins
Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: November 3, 2015 19:46

GasLightStreet
stones2000

What if I said "Chuck Leavell definitely is NOT the best rock'n'roll pianist ever"? Could I do that GLS? winking smiley

And I'm going with Nicky.

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 3, 2015 21:12

jlowe
Whilst maybe not technically brilliant I love the feeling of the piano work on Lennons Imagine album. John and Nicky Hopkins, I recall.
Also Leon Russell on Dylans Watching the river flow and the piano work on the 1970 New Morning album.
Also Randy Newman.....though I guess he isnt really rock n roll.

thumbs up

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 3, 2015 22:22

Turner68
Johnnie Johnson
Yes and Bill Payne

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2015 01:36

I'd go with Nicky if just for Loving Cup.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 02:29

treaclefingers
I'd go with Nicky if just for Loving Cup.

He is definitely the best pianist to perform Loving Cup, if that's what you mean.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 4, 2015 02:51

Great topic and lots of agreement on the greats here. My views pretty much are in line with many others here, all these guys deserve mention. The order is as close as I dare to rate them although I could change my mind hourly with this group of greats.

Leon Russell
Billy Payne
Stevie Winwood
Nicky Hopkins
Stevie Wonder
Ray Charles
Elton John
Billy Preston
Bruce Hornsby
Jerry Lee Lewis
Johnnie Johnson
Fats domino
Little Richard

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 4, 2015 02:53

Got to be Chuck Leavell,l mean he is the music director and piano man for The greatest Rock and roll band in the world,so he must be the greatest also...winking smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2166
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home