Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 17
Re: ALBUM TALK: Bridges To Babylon
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 18, 2015 22:57

Saint Of Me like Out Of Control are fantastic live songs and were favorites for a lot of crowds in 97/98. Hope to see Saint Of Me make a come back in 2016.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 19, 2015 10:21

The only song I ever play from this album is Already Over Me even though Jagger seems to be weeping through most of it. It could’ve been a classic if Mick dumped that pretentious chick (‘poverty is picturesque?!’) in Mexico instead of the other way around. Still love the song but have to chase it down with Under My Thumb and Stupid Girl.

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: October 19, 2015 11:26

Great album!Great singles.For me the best since Undercover.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 19, 2015 11:29

Swayed1967
The only song I ever play from this album is Already Over Me even though Jagger seems to be weeping through most of it. It could’ve been a classic if Mick dumped that pretentious chick (‘poverty is picturesque?!’) in Mexico instead of the other way around. Still love the song but have to chase it down with Under My Thumb and Stupid Girl.

Are your approach for BRIDGES TO BABYLON - only playing one song from it - your method to stay certain that you will avoid "sneaky good songs", in the way you expressed in another thread what had happened to you as to the song "Winning Ugly"? Because else you could risk eventually starting to like the album of this thread.

Swayed1967
HMS
How can DW be a "disaster" when Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight are "gems and great". These songs are gems indeed, but only the tip of the iceberg - DW has songs even better than HS & ST.

HMS - a ‘Dirty Work’ troll or one of those ‘it takes all kinds’ types? Whatever, this album was a rip-off.

Had it wichu and Fight are not cringeworthy in the way Hold Back, Back to Zero and Dirty Work are but they’re lame & Jurassic and together they add up to five very unnecessary songs, an entire side that offers no value whatsoever. That was unprecedented at the time. Give me half my money back, Mick, or preferably half of EVERYTHING YOU OWN! However, after nearly thirty years of loathing ‘Winning Ugly’ and lumping it with the cringeworthy songs abovementioned, I’m now of the opinion that it’s sneaky good, possibly the third strongest song on the album, and the reason I do not demand a full refund.

(To Mick & Keith & Ron: you're welcome but please no more 'sneaky good' songs, yeah?)

Date: October 19, 2015 11:38

There are very good songs on both Dirty Work and Bridges To Babylon, hence none of them are the «very poor» records that some posters suggest.

Both albums have 4-5 very good songs on them, and that amount of very good Stones tunes make them interesting, imo.

Sometimes I wonder why people bother to listen to the Stones, if they can't stomach Harlem Shuffle, One Hit, Out Of Control or How Can I Stop.

But to each his own.

Posted by: RobbedBlind ()
Date: October 19, 2015 11:51

DandelionPowderman
There are very good songs on both Dirty Work and Bridges To Babylon, hence none of them are the «very poor» records that some posters suggest.

Both albums have 4-5 very good songs on them, and that amount of very good Stones tunes make them interesting, imo.

Sometimes I wonder why people bother to listen to the Stones, if they can't stomach Harlem Shuffle, One Hit, Out Of Control or How Can I Stop.

But to each his own.

i think when most people say they are very poor, what they mean implicitly is "very poor for the stones".

i think both dirty work and bridges to babylon are very poor for the stones. i also think they're better than say 95% of what's out there. i think most of the people who criticize such albums feel the same way.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 19, 2015 11:53

Witness
Swayed1967

Are your approach for BRIDGES TO BABYLON - only playing one song from it - your method to stay certain that you will avoid "sneaky good songs", in the way you expressed in another thread what had happened to you as to the song "Winning Ugly"? Because else you could risk eventually starting to like the album of this thread.

Swayed1967
HMS
How can DW be a "disaster" when Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight are "gems and great". These songs are gems indeed, but only the tip of the iceberg - DW has songs even better than HS & ST.

HMS - a ‘Dirty Work’ troll or one of those ‘it takes all kinds’ types? Whatever, this album was a rip-off.

Had it wichu and Fight are not cringeworthy in the way Hold Back, Back to Zero and Dirty Work are but they’re lame & Jurassic and together they add up to five very unnecessary songs, an entire side that offers no value whatsoever. That was unprecedented at the time. Give me half my money back, Mick, or preferably half of EVERYTHING YOU OWN! However, after nearly thirty years of loathing ‘Winning Ugly’ and lumping it with the cringeworthy songs abovementioned, I’m now of the opinion that it’s sneaky good, possibly the third strongest song on the album, and the reason I do not demand a full refund.

(To Mick & Keith & Ron: you're welcome but please no more 'sneaky good' songs, yeah?)

LOL. You really do your homework. No, I don’t think I’d find any sneaky good songs on BtB. Winning Ugly was a song that I despised immediately after hearing it. It was only recently that I began to really listen to it. On the other hand, I’ve played all the songs on BtB ad nauseam. As I said the only one I make a habit of listening to these days is Already Over Me but there are a few other good ones (How Can I Stop, You Don’t Have To Mean It, Flip The Switch). There are also a few stinkbombs: Too Tight, Low Down and Always Suffering. The rest I find unexciting. Would rather hear k.d. lang cover classic Stones songs from the 70s.

Date: October 19, 2015 12:02

RobbedBlind
DandelionPowderman

But to each his own.

i think when most people say they are very poor, what they mean implicitly is "very poor for the stones".

i think both dirty work and bridges to babylon are very poor for the stones. i also think they're better than say 95% of what's out there. i think most of the people who criticize such albums feel the same way.

I wish that were true. Instead, people are claiming it is worse than anything ever released, unfortunately smiling smiley

Posted by: RobbedBlind ()
Date: October 19, 2015 12:12

DandelionPowderman
RobbedBlind
DandelionPowderman

But to each his own.

I wish that were true. Instead, people are claiming it is worse than anything ever released, unfortunately smiling smiley

that's ridiculous. modern science has proven irrevocably that this is the worst album ever released. it's an undisputed fact:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-19 12:14 by RobbedBlind.

Date: October 19, 2015 12:15

LOL grinning smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 19, 2015 12:33

Swayed1967
LOL. You really do your homework. No, I don’t think I’d find any sneaky good songs on BtB. Winning Ugly was a song that I despised immediately after hearing it. It was only recently that I began to really listen to it. On the other hand, I’ve played all the songs on BtB ad nauseam. As I said the only one I make a habit of listening to these days is Already Over Me but there are a few other good ones (How Can I Stop, You Don’t Have To Mean It, Flip The Switch). There are also a few stinkbombs: Too Tight, Low Down and Always Suffering. The rest I find unexciting. Would rather hear k.d. lang cover classic Stones songs from the 70s.

I'll give you a stern warning, though. Stay away from "Always Suffering". It is dangerous song. Much more sneaky good than "Winning Ugly. Before you know it, early impressions are brushed aside. So never let yourself be exposed to it. Advise anybody else to do likewise.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 19, 2015 13:12

DandelionPowderman
RobbedBlind
DandelionPowderman

But to each his own.

Well, in the case of Dirty Work (and it has that in common with Their Satanic Majesties Request), I think most people would agree that there are some good songs on it (One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, Sleep Tonight). The problem is that the other half is absolutely the most embarrassing bs they ever did. And even so, as Robbed Blind says, yes, it might even be better than most of the 80's rubbish (or 60's psychedelic rubbish) that was around at the same time, but from the Stones you would expect something better.

Anyway, Bridges to Babylon was a lot better, there is nothing downright embarrassing on it, although it lacks a bit in consistency. I would say it's their best post-Undercover album.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 19, 2015 15:32

Are there any outtakes of Thief in the night? Demos?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 19, 2015 17:08

matxil
DandelionPowderman
RobbedBlind
DandelionPowderman

But to each his own.

Well, in the case of Dirty Work (and it has that in common with Their Satanic Majesties Request), I think most people would agree that there are some good songs on it (One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, Sleep Tonight). The problem is that the other half is absolutely the most embarrassing bs they ever did. And even so, as Robbed Blind says, yes, it might even be better than most of the 80's rubbish (or 60's psychedelic rubbish) that was around at the same time, but from the Stones you would expect something better.

Anyway, Bridges to Babylon was a lot better, there is nothing downright embarrassing on it, although it lacks a bit in consistency. I would say it's their best post-Undercover album.

If not the best post-Undercover album then certainly the best post - Voodoo Lounge album.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 19, 2015 19:13

It is a good album in my opinion; the tour was also fantastic.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 19, 2015 19:37

A great album. I like this far better than Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and ABB. There was a lot of tension between Mick and keith, which I think helps add more menace and quality because they are competing. An interesting and eclectic body of music. And lots of it! Another double album and three Keith songs! And all three very good. Might As Well Get Juiced is the only clunker for me, but not terrible. Some great rock n' roll, gospel rock, reggae, rockabilly, R and B, and ballads.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: October 19, 2015 19:43

Love this album! Still listen to it regularly. I laugh that everybody thinks Too Tight is a filler track when I love that song and actually rehearsed it with my charity covers band recently. To each their own!

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: October 19, 2015 23:39

Plenty to enjoy on Bridges and a shame that so called stones fans give it a bad rap, like "one of the tracks is ok".
How Can I Stop emotionally moving as Wild Horses, think any serious music lover would dig it.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: October 20, 2015 00:28

Arguing non stop about DW and B2B?????????????????????????? Geez

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 20, 2015 01:04

Friday can't come quickly enough.... let's get on to the "Got Live if You Want It" Album talk in just 1 1/2 weeks (I hope).

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 20, 2015 09:15

loved the album ever since it came out and still,it has nyances,which ABB and steel wheels did not have at all,voodoo was somewhere between those,but sound was too retro.And the tour behind BTB album was fantastic,even Ronnie MIA in some of the shows,it was the last time Keith was in any kind of musical command,band was very well oiled then.Shows never been this good after 1997-1999.Been close couple of occasions,Licks was ok only beacuse of setlist on some shows,ABB was boring as hell.
If i have to pick best guitar tones,it would be
1997-1999

Date: October 20, 2015 10:06

marko
loved the album ever since it came out and still,it has nyances,which ABB and steel wheels did not have at all,voodoo was somewhere between those,but sound was too retro.And the tour behind BTB album was fantastic,even Ronnie MIA in some of the shows,it was the last time Keith was in any kind of musical command,band was very well oiled then.Shows never been this good after 1997-1999.Been close couple of occasions,Licks was ok only beacuse of setlist on some shows,ABB was boring as hell.
If i have to pick best guitar tones,it would be
1997-1999

I wouldn't go that far, but it was certainly the last tour where Keith was leading the band on larger portions of the set, and not only the warhorses, imo.

Posted by: z ()
Date: October 20, 2015 10:28

DandelionPowderman

BOTHER to listen to the Stones? Geez DP, can people just listen to whatever they like? A revolutionary concept, I know...

Date: October 20, 2015 10:57

z
DandelionPowderman

BOTHER to listen to the Stones? Geez DP, can people just listen to whatever they like? A revolutionary concept, I know...

Of course, but preferably WITHOUT dissing what I enjoy listening to repeatedly.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 20, 2015 11:46

I have to admit that I'm not the deeper kind of listener that knows for example what strings brands Keith used on his guitar for the 'Too Tight' recording...

A song is simply danceable or not for me...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 20, 2015 11:49

Come On
I have to admit that I'm not the deeper kind of listener that knows for example what strings brands Keith used on his guitar for the 'Too Tight' recording...

You should be happy you don't...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 20, 2015 12:07

DandelionPowderman
Come On

You should be happy you don't...

You know about what strings? Jazz people know exactly which tube-sheet to the nozzle Coltrane used on his recordings.
I wonder what that line actually means. Bing Translator has struck again. smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: October 20, 2015 12:18

His 5-string setup:

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 20, 2015 16:52

Great beginning with Keith's and Ronnie's guitar onslaught on Flip the Switch. Great heavy noise on Low Down. Too Tight is the last classic Stones rocker in my opinion. Weaker the rest of the album, particularly the arrangements of some (i.e. two) songs, especially the loop thing that ruins actually a good song. The ballads are average, and sorry, but too much Keith, Thief in the Night and How Can I Stop begin promising but end in a boring mess. They are too long. In general like Voodoo Lounge diversified and varied and a good album in the end.

Date: October 20, 2015 17:04

RobertJohnson
Great beginning with Keith's and Ronnie's guitar onslaught on Flip the Switch. Great heavy noise on Low Down. Too Tight is the last classic Stones rocker in my opinion. Weaker the rest of the album, particularly the arrangements of some (i.e. two) songs, especially the loop thing that ruins actually a good song. The ballads are average, and sorry, but too much Keith, Thief in the Night and How Can I Stop begin promising but end in a boring mess. They are too long. In general like Voodoo Lounge diversified and varied and a good album in the end.

Just out of curiousity, where do you hear Ronnie on Flip The Switch? I know he (and Waddy) is credited, but I haven't really found his (or Waddy's) part. All I hear is several Keith-guitars.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2214
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home