Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17
Re: Is Bridges To Babylon a good album?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 8, 2017 18:05

No, never liked it..........I just played it after many years maybe I changed my mind but I still don't like it, there is something wrong with the vibe.....

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 8, 2017 18:25

Even the Blues Jams from 1982 are more interesting than Thief In The Night ;-)

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 8, 2017 18:37

those cymbols at the very end of it.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 9, 2017 03:33

HankM
keefriff99
HankM
BamaStone
Yep. Saw them opening night Chicago, when they first did OOC on stage for 1st time!

Me too ! Wasnt that fun!
That was before they dropped the cage Jagger broke out of...
and the first time they used the extendo ramp to middle stage.
It was also the first time I saw those industrial confetti shooting machines,
they kind of went overboard with those filling the whole place with 2 inch strips of floating fun

We happily missed the harmonica act opening the show as we tried to sell off our extra tickets (the best offer we got was $25.00)(I still have those tickets) grinning smiley But is was fun, a nice night to walk around outside Soldier Field checking the people and sight... like the mobile T-shirt screen printing press they had going full speed. Those were good times. It seems like 5-6 years ago.
I remember that VH-1 aired the first two songs from opening night at Soldier Field. I watched it in my dorm room with some friends. It must have been freezing that night and Mick was out of breath by the second song (IORR)...my buddies were all busting my chops, saying oh look, Mick's out of breath, he's too old to perform!

Cut to 20 years later... grinning smiley

Yeah, dummies have been saying they are too old since at least Steel Wheel chairs... maybe it has been a blessing and has given them stiff upper lips to prove all the dummies wrong and keep on rocking until all their fans have passed away... and they will still be ready to play.

I may have just been dressed right, but I remember the night in Chicago being quite nice, not cold at all.... and I know Chi-town can be cold and windy... I have been in Chicago when has been cold... cold cold cold Chicago niiiiight... but she was hot
Interesting...I seem to remember people saying it was quite chilly opening night.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: April 9, 2017 04:27

keefriff99
HankM
keefriff99
HankM
BamaStone
Yep. Saw them opening night Chicago, when they first did OOC on stage for 1st time!

Me too ! Wasnt that fun!
That was before they dropped the cage Jagger broke out of...
and the first time they used the extendo ramp to middle stage.
It was also the first time I saw those industrial confetti shooting machines,
they kind of went overboard with those filling the whole place with 2 inch strips of floating fun

We happily missed the harmonica act opening the show as we tried to sell off our extra tickets (the best offer we got was $25.00)(I still have those tickets) grinning smiley But is was fun, a nice night to walk around outside Soldier Field checking the people and sight... like the mobile T-shirt screen printing press they had going full speed. Those were good times. It seems like 5-6 years ago.
I remember that VH-1 aired the first two songs from opening night at Soldier Field. I watched it in my dorm room with some friends. It must have been freezing that night and Mick was out of breath by the second song (IORR)...my buddies were all busting my chops, saying oh look, Mick's out of breath, he's too old to perform!

Cut to 20 years later... grinning smiley

Yeah, dummies have been saying they are too old since at least Steel Wheel chairs... maybe it has been a blessing and has given them stiff upper lips to prove all the dummies wrong and keep on rocking until all their fans have passed away... and they will still be ready to play.

I may have just been dressed right, but I remember the night in Chicago being quite nice, not cold at all.... and I know Chi-town can be cold and windy... I have been in Chicago when has been cold... cold cold cold Chicago niiiiight... but she was hot
Interesting...I seem to remember people saying it was quite chilly opening night.

smiling smiley Well... the good news is we can check the data.
[weatherspark.com]

[www.highbeam.com]

According to those 2 sources it was 50-70 degrees in Chicago on September 23 1998.

50-70 degrees might be considered quite chilly by some folks...
but to me it is quite nice and confirms my memory (thankfully)... sometimes I wonder about thatgrinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-09 04:27 by HankM.

Re: ALBUM TALK: Bridges To Babylon
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: April 9, 2017 04:32

fwiw- on topic- I put BTB on today and I think half to 3/4ths of the songs are GREAT!!

Unlike a lot of folks around here I am not a mellow music lover and I think
it is the slow boring mellow songs are the weak ones... but the rockers on BTB kick ass!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 10, 2017 19:13

Any Stones album is better than DIRTY WORK - even one that has the horrible Gunface, Might As Well Get Juiced, Already Over Me and Always Suffering on it.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 10, 2017 21:28

GasLightStreet
Any Stones album is better than DIRTY WORK - even one that has the horrible Gunface, Might As Well Get Juiced, Already Over Me and Always Suffering on it.

Even if you remove the most horrible and useless songs (Always Suffering, Already Over Me, Saint Of Me, Out Of Control, Thief In The Night) B2B still wouldn´t be as good as DW is. Very enjoyable but not as good as DW.

Date: April 11, 2017 05:02

HMS
GasLightStreet

Even if you remove the most horrible and useless songs (Always Suffering, Already Over Me, Saint Of Me, Out Of Control, Thief In The Night) B2B still wouldn´t be as good as DW is. Very enjoyable but not as good as DW.

You sound like you really know crap, and that no one, you mean no one, knows crap more than you.

Bridges to Babylon
Posted by: voodoodrew ()
Date: June 30, 2018 05:41

Listening to the new pressing of BtoB. As far as the technical aspects of the pressing, I have nothing to compare it to other than my old CD and Spotify. From that aspect, this one sounds fine to me, but that’s not why I post tonight.

This is a great, underappreciated album. I like Voodoo and ABB, but bridges is something special, a worthy latter-day near masterpiece that plays in competition with Tattoo You, perhaps even Some Girls. I love it - you can hear the tensions among the band in the diversity of the songs, and the result is brilliant. I still wish they’d left off Always Suffering and Too Tight, but even those throwaways are worth coming back to 21 yrs later. Only a band with Exile and Sticky Fingers in its catalogue could let a recording like this become so forgotten. I’m about to play it again.

Re: Bridges to Babylon
Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: June 30, 2018 05:53

Underrated as Dirty Work, 90´s was a great era of the Stones (and all 60-70´s survivors), Hope some day they release a deluxe with outtakes.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: June 30, 2018 07:22

voodoodrew
Listening to the new pressing of BtoB. As far as the technical aspects of the pressing, I have nothing to compare it to other than my old CD and Spotify. From that aspect, this one sounds fine to me, but that’s not why I post tonight.

This is a great, underappreciated album. I like Voodoo and ABB, but bridges is something special, a worthy latter-day near masterpiece that plays in competition with Tattoo You, perhaps even Some Girls. I love it - you can hear the tensions among the band in the diversity of the songs, and the result is brilliant. I still wish they’d left off Always Suffering and Too Tight, but even those throwaways are worth coming back to 21 yrs later. Only a band with Exile and Sticky Fingers in its catalogue could let a recording like this become so forgotten. I’m about to play it again.

Great freekin album! loved it when it came out... I have loved it for the last... uhm... however many years (I dont wont believe it is 21)... and I still love it today. I love the kitty cat on the cover, the whole Babylon thing, the tour, the hits, the songs they played from it on the tour... the tour... did I mention that tour was killer!

I have nothing but GREAT memories of B2B.. from using the internet intensively for the first time to get my tour going... to meeting people online and then actually meeting them in Cleveland Columbus for that meetup... to seeing opening night in Chicago... to seeing 7 shows in 7 cities... to all the great songs on this album. It is GREAT!

I love Flip the Switch", I like "Anybody Seen My Baby?" I like "Low Down", "Gunface" is good... and then you have the what should be SMASH HITS, WAR HORSES PLAYED EVERY NIGHT "Out of Control" AND "Saint of Me"!

I could go on... but Im going to put this album on right now

Date: June 30, 2018 08:32

I rate it as an ok album. Out of control is one of their best songs though

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: June 30, 2018 08:57

Bridges To Babylon is one of the best albums IMO. I really love to hear it completely because it sounds great in one take. But not the album as itself but also the different songs are great: Already Over Me, Flip The Switch, How Can I Stop, Out If Control, Saint of Me.... Really great Songs!!!

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: June 30, 2018 10:09

A great CD Indeed .I got many great shows from this tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-30 10:10 by babyblue.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: June 30, 2018 10:46

Good album that would've been great if Gunface, Always Suffering and Thief in the Night were lost.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 30, 2018 11:19

Yes, I agree, it has stood the test of time. I liked it when it came out but at the time I thought Voodoo Lounge was stronger. But I listened to it for the first time in years as I drove to the Cardiff gig and I was blown away by it - I think it is a reallly strong album and indeed an under appreciated classic.

Also, like Leonid says, it holds special memories for me because I remember hearing about it (and indeed, discovering IORR) in the early days of the internet. I lived in Australia but booked tickets to see the Edmonton show in October 97. Great times, great album.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 30, 2018 13:03

Bridges to Babylon is a good album, the last ambitious one the Stones did. Of course I would have prefered more live recordings and less loops and samples on it; yet the concept works. The tour was great as well.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 30, 2018 13:47

2/3 of the album is really good.
Still listen to it quite often. And songs of BtB were highlights of that tour and many were played!
Of which other of their later albums you could say that?

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: June 30, 2018 16:29

Too Tight is one of their best songs in years, dont know why they dont play it live.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 30, 2018 16:53

I love "Lowdown". Great riff and Charlie's drumming is superb, in particular his fill just after Mick sings "I know that you won't lie to me...."

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: June 30, 2018 16:54

This album stands out of the latter era cause it was the only time they were ready for trying something knew. They were always great at adding actual influences to their own sound. This time they were not just trying to sound like the Stones. They were open for experimentation with some great results.

Tom

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 30, 2018 17:49

Loved it since it was released...picked it up the day it came out and it became the soundtrack of that summer for me. Went to the Texas Motor Speedyway show in the Fall. The show was more akin to a festival with Matchbox 20, Dave Mathews Band and the Smashing Pupkins on the bill..had gold lame confetti from the show in my truck until I traded it in a few years later.

The album has a few filler songs, but overall its a strong album...

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: June 30, 2018 17:52

Agreed. I also agree that Too Tight and Always Suffering are the two most lackluster tracks on the album that I usually skip.

Might as Well Get Juiced and Gun face get a lot of flack from purists, but I find both to be bold risks that pay off.

Date: June 30, 2018 17:53

And I never understood how Out of Control didn't become a live staple from 1997 on. I know they've played it a decent amount of the years, but it's great enough to be a latter-day warhorse...it just explodes live.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 30, 2018 17:58

keefriff99
And I never understood how Out of Control didn't become a live staple from 1997 on. I know they've played it a decent amount of the years, but it's great enough to be a latter-day warhorse...it just explodes live.
Agree.
Wonder if they consider it more effective for arena shows, with the lights etc.?
Great live song..

Date: June 30, 2018 18:07

MisterDDDD
keefriff99
Agree.
Wonder if they consider it more effective for arena shows, with the lights etc.?
Great live song..
Perhaps. When you consider how many damn shows they've played You Got Me Rockin' over the last 25 years...decent little throwaway rocker, but hardly worthy of the number of plays it's gotten.

I guess it's a quick and simple song to play, unlike OOC, which requires additional percussion and horns and Mick going all-out with his dance moves.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 30, 2018 19:30

A few nice songs with Saint of Me, Out of Control, and Thief in the Night ( all of which were elevated when played live), but the album as a whole is a bit disconnected.
Releasing Anybody Seen My Baby as the first single might not have been the best choice imo. The tour itself was better and more memorable than the album - the B-stage with the bridge extending out to it was a sight to behold, and the mini sets were usually always great. I recall the atmosphere of the crowd at Dodger stadium being quite tame in comparison to previous tours. It had a safe and friendly Disneyland vibe to it vs. the unpredictability and chaotic nature of previous tours I attended. Some have said this tour was beginning of the Vegas era, and for better or worse seems it was.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 30, 2018 19:45

A strong disappointment for me after Voodoo Lounge.
I almost never listen to this album.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 30, 2018 21:26

rogerriffin
Underrated as Dirty Work, 90´s was a great era of the Stones (and all 60-70´s survivors), Hope some day they release a deluxe with outtakes.

DW is overrated, not underrated. BTB is miles above DW. Even TSMR is miles above DW.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home