Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 17
Re: ALBUM TALK: Bridges To Babylon
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 17, 2015 17:03

emotionalbarbecue
I know tomatoes will be thrown at me....but...I think that Might As Well Get Juiced is one of the best efforts in Stones career in honestly being creative, risky and loyal to the roots. Blues is nowadays an old hat but ...who cares. When Keith talks about "the band wants to know how far they can reach" this song is a good example (and unique).

thumbs up

Date: October 17, 2015 17:08

bobo
Only 3 weak (boring) songs for me and that's Keith numbers.

I almlost do agree. You are right about two songs.
But the reggae-tune isnt boring.

Thief In The Night & How Can I stop are probably the most boring songs they ever recorded, to close the album with such sleeping pills is a crime.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 17, 2015 17:11

emotionalbarbecue
I know tomatoes will be thrown at me....but...I think that Might As Well Get Juiced is one of the best efforts in Stones career in honestly being creative, risky and loyal to the roots. Blues is nowadays an old hat but ...who cares. When Keith talks about "the band wants to know how far they can reach" this song is a good example (and unique).

RL Burnside made this Stones track sound like it was done by a bunch of 4 year olds.

Date: October 17, 2015 17:14

All 3 of Keith's tunes are stellar. How anyone can say they're boring isn't a fan of music.

What's boring - absolutely boring - is the driving the subway with eyes closed stagnant MAWGJuiced, the yawn captured in a photo Gunface, the sappy Already Over Me and even sappier Always Suffering. Remove those and the album improves drastically.

Date: October 17, 2015 17:23

Already Over Me & Always Suffering are damn boring too. At least these songs have a clear structure, but that doesnt save them from being as superfluous as Thief In The Night & How Can I Stop. Exclude them, exlude all four of them. Btw, the first two minutes of How Can I Stop are not bad, but after that the song is running out of gas and in the end it gets totally messed up.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 17, 2015 17:29

HMS
bobo
Only 3 weak (boring) songs for me and that's Keith numbers.

I almlost do agree. You are right about two songs.
But the reggae-tune isnt boring.

Thief In The Night & How Can I stop are probably the most boring songs they ever recorded, to close the album with such sleeping pills is a crime.
neither as bad as thru and thru zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Date: October 17, 2015 17:30

HMS
Already Over Me & Always Suffering are damn boring too.

Yep. Awful bad as well.

HMS
At least these songs have a clear structure, but that doesnt save them from being as superfluous as Thief In The Night & How Can I Stop. Exclude them, exlude all four of them. Btw, the first two minutes of How Can I Stop are not bad, but after that the song is running out of gas and in the end it gets totally messed up.

No. You've got too much DIRTY WORK on the brain, talking about how some songs at least have structure (which is irrelevant - a gazillion Stones songs lack structure) but excluding Keith's songs and calling them "superflous". How Can I Stop doesn't "run out of gas", it progresses. One must understand music and be a fan of music to get some things. You don't. Your DIRTY WORKed way of thinking has tainted your ability to understand.

Because of that, you have been disqualified.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 17, 2015 19:18

DandelionPowderman
Olly
I'm surprised at the dislike from some for 'Gunface', one of two great tracks on the album; the other one being 'Thief in the Night'.

The "melody", Mick's guitar sound and the too obvious, desperate try of sounding current and modern might be some of the reasons?

It's disconcerting how the Stones are routinely criticised for being off the pace or irrelevant, yet face the same fate for trying something new.

There isn't a single album by the Stones which hasn't tried to be 'current and modern'. They are musical chameleons.

Olly.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 17, 2015 19:35

Olly
DandelionPowderman
Olly
I'm surprised at the dislike from some for 'Gunface', one of two great tracks on the album; the other one being 'Thief in the Night'.

The "melody", Mick's guitar sound and the too obvious, desperate try of sounding current and modern might be some of the reasons?

It's disconcerting how the Stones are routinely criticised for being off the pace or irrelevant, yet face the same fate for trying something new.

There isn't a single album by the Stones which hasn't tried to be 'current and modern'. They are musical chameleons.

While I agree with you somewhat Olly, it's only when it works that they are above criticism. winking smiley And I would say that with some releases, like Beggars Banquet, they were not really trying to be current and modern but just following their muse. At this point I'd say retro is what works best for the Stones, not necessarily trying to hard to recreate their earlier masterpieces but a deeper delve into the roots music and simpler production that made their best work so good.

Date: October 17, 2015 20:07

Naturalust
Olly
DandelionPowderman
Olly

While I agree with you somewhat Olly, it's only when it works that they are above criticism. winking smiley And I would say that with some releases, like Beggars Banquet, they were not really trying to be current and modern but just following their muse. At this point I'd say retro is what works best for the Stones, not necessarily trying to hard to recreate their earlier masterpieces but a deeper delve into the roots music and simpler production that made their best work so good.

It's not the case of them "being off the pace or irrelevant, yet face the same fate for trying something new", it's down to one thing: is it good? Just because they do something different doesn't equate it being good. Take the four songs on BRIDGES that are "modern" and they're all over the map. Gunface is not good, regardless of the production. MAWGJuiced is not good but could it be? Maybe but it seems like something they do in their sleep. ASMB? is borderline good - I like it but it's not a classic by any means and live it was similar to Love Is Strong - it just doesn't work on stage. Saint Of Me is pretty good and it worked good live - with Keith playing on it live, of course. Would it could it have been better on the LP with Keith on it? I dunno. The same could be said for Sway and Moonlight Mile and I'm Not Signifying for all I know even though those three are great as they are. Would it have been better if it was a live track on the album instead of Charlie's sampled drums? The live album version says yes.

Thief In The Night is outstanding yet I don't get the impression it has any Dust Brothers tweaking on it.

So perhaps their being modern on BRIDGES didn't work out so well compared to other times they did things that worked pretty good, like songs on UNDERCOVER and SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE and BLACK AND BLUE and a few others possibly.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 17, 2015 20:10

GasLightStreet
So perhaps their being modern on BRIDGES didn't work out so well compared to other times they did things that worked pretty good, like songs on UNDERCOVER and SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE and BLACK AND BLUE and a few others possibly.

Is that down to the musical landscapes in which these albums are set, or the quality of the songwriting, performance, production?

Olly.

Date: October 17, 2015 20:21

Olly
GasLightStreet

Is that down to the musical landscapes in which these albums are set, or the quality of the songwriting, performance, production?

Considering the ways songs on those albums were modern/current at the time and the way they worked out I'd say it's the songwriting and performance more so than anything. Memory Motel would've worked just fine as a song with just acoustic guitars. Miss You would've worked just fine as all keyboards. Clearly there was a keeping up with trends thing going on back then that worked for them then. The slickness of the production on Miss You (and Emotional Rescue to a point) certainly helped boost the song's popularity. Can't say that for much else. Undercover Of The Night, which worked, is not exactly a classic song you hear on the radio like MY and ER are. So that one didn't grab the attention like the previous two did. Perhaps it was too much.

Can you imagine if Mick brought the Stones into the world of auto-tune and dubstep just to be trendy (and, as it was established on BRIDGES, late to the trend)?

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: October 17, 2015 22:06

GasLightStreet
All 3 of Keith's tunes are stellar. How anyone can say they're boring isn't a fan of music.

What's boring - absolutely boring - is the driving the subway with eyes closed stagnant MAWGJuiced, the yawn captured in a photo Gunface, the sappy Already Over Me and even sappier Always Suffering. Remove those and the album improves drastically.

I said they are boring for "me". Who are you to say I am not a fan of music? That's rude.

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: October 17, 2015 22:41

a mix of a Keith solo album and a Mick solo album with some songs they did together IMO. I quite like the album, but haven't listened to it a while. It could have been better I think. Some songs are cheesy (Always Suffering, Already Over Me) or are Stones by numbers (Too Tight) but in a strange way I like them. Might As Well Get Juiced is not my cup of tea, but at least they tried something new, not with succes I think.
A song like Gunface could have been left off, and ASMB is the band trying to be hip or modern, but they sound to clean. Which is on most of the songs,I like them dirty winking smiley
Still not a bad album, but a bit uneven in songs.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: October 18, 2015 02:04

Come On
eduardoacdc
Best album since voodoo lounge

You're skipping 'Stripped' then...

Oh! I forgot that one.

Yes, so it's the best album since stripped then.

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: October 18, 2015 03:01

"Btw, the first two minutes of How Can I Stop are not bad, but after that the song is running out of gas and in the end it gets totally messed up."

You're crazy man..."messed up"?? The ending of How Can I Stop is the coolest way to end that album, my favorite part of the song...the guitar part right before the sax solo, to me, reminds me of the ending to Moonlight Mile...I love how they both run together too (TITN and HCIS) has anyone ever noticed Ronnie laughing like around the 3rd verse? Nothing wrong with sitting back and listening to a couple of chilled out numbers...saying they're boring sorta just shows that you're a part of this "wham bam thank you ma'am, gotta have it now! Go-go, instant gratification" society thats overtaking teens and young adults...so sad. No Thief in the Night and How can I stop probably doesn't sound too good listening to it while you're playing video games or jogging...some tunes are written to be LISTENED to. Tr it sometime, you might be surprised at what you hear...

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: October 18, 2015 04:03

I've always loved Stones ballads. Almost Hear You Sigh was a highlight of SW and Out Of Tears was a highlight of Voodoo Lounge. I also loved Blinded By Rainbows from VL as well. I was really disappointed by both Always Suffering and Already Over Me on BTB. They weren't in the same league I felt. I thought the highlight of BTB was actually the first single. I just loved Anybody Seen My Baby. Actually thought the Stones might've had a hit with it, but as someone stated, it totally didn't work live (like Love Is Strong as well). Also similar to Midnight Rambler on Let It Bleed / Ya Yas, Out of Control is light years better live then the studio version as is Saint Of Me (though I'm not a big fan of that one, live or studio).

Date: October 18, 2015 12:25

aftergeography
"Btw, the first two minutes of How Can I Stop are not bad, but after that the song is running out of gas and in the end it gets totally messed up."

You're crazy man..."messed up"?? The ending of How Can I Stop is the coolest way to end that album, my favorite part of the song...the guitar part right before the sax solo, to me, reminds me of the ending to Moonlight Mile...I love how they both run together too (TITN and HCIS) has anyone ever noticed Ronnie laughing like around the 3rd verse? Nothing wrong with sitting back and listening to a couple of chilled out numbers...saying they're boring sorta just shows that you're a part of this "wham bam thank you ma'am, gotta have it now! Go-go, instant gratification" society thats overtaking teens and young adults...so sad. No Thief in the Night and How can I stop probably doesn't sound too good listening to it while you're playing video games or jogging...some tunes are written to be LISTENED to. Tr it sometime, you might be surprised at what you hear...

Stones-music is no background-noise for me, usually I listen to with headphones on. I really enjoy a great Stones-ballad like Wild Horses, Sister Morphine, Memory Motel etc, but Thief In The Night/How Can I Stop were never my cup of tea, although I took many sips, dont like the flavor I guess. Boring meandering music, totally destroyed by Shorter´s absolutely unbearable soprano-noodling.

Date: October 18, 2015 14:23

aftergeography

nothing to do With "wham bam bla bla...". I like a lot of ballads, these two just do it for me. That should be a fair case.

Date: October 18, 2015 15:27

bobo
GasLightStreet

I said they are boring for "me". Who are you to say I am not a fan of music? That's rude.

Whatever. If you find those boring there's something wrong.

Date: October 18, 2015 15:28

HMS
aftergeography

Stones-music is no background-noise for me, usually I listen to with headphones on. I really enjoy a great Stones-ballad like Wild Horses, Sister Morphine, Memory Motel etc, but Thief In The Night/How Can I Stop were never my cup of tea, although I took many sips, dont like the flavor I guess. Boring meandering music, totally destroyed by Shorter´s absolutely unbearable soprano-noodling.

Said by someone that praises DIRTY WORK as if it's in the same universe as EXILE.

Date: October 18, 2015 16:28

GasLightStreet
bobo
GasLightStreet

Typical response for people who don't understand that people can have different opinions, sad.

Date: October 18, 2015 16:34

bobo
GasLightStreet
bobo
GasLightStreet

Typical response for people who don't understand that people can have different opinions, sad.

I certainly do understand different opinions. I just can't stand wrong ones. Opinions aren't facts. How you hear those songs as boring is astounding. Those songs you find boring are fantastic works of music.

Date: October 18, 2015 16:52

GasLightStreet
bobo
GasLightStreet
bobo
GasLightStreet

I certainly do understand different opinions. I just can't stand wrong ones. Opinions aren't facts. How you hear those songs as boring is astounding. Those songs you find boring are fantastic works of music.

Good for you. Cheer upthumbs up

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 18, 2015 17:30

HMS
emotionalbarbecue

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs up

And it should be noted that it worked extremely well as the No Security show intro music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-19 02:48 by alimente.

Date: October 18, 2015 17:37

One of the coolest intros they've had.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 18, 2015 17:44

GasLightStreet
bobo
GasLightStreet
bobo
GasLightStreet

Most of us have subjective opinions and tastes, very, very few have it in them to establish canons that may grow to become basis for intersubjective standards.

Your views on "Always Suffering", GasLightStreet, is only one of some more points, where I would not trust you with setting up a canon of Rolling Stones music, even if you are wellinformed and very often have interesting views.

At first hearing at the time, also to me "Always Suffering" was a disappointment and appeared rather predictable. However, against all that and despite the incidences of a reborn innovativeness about the album that I adore, soon "Always Suffering" grew to be the album's dearest gem to me.

Date: October 18, 2015 21:33

GasLightStreet
Said by someone that praises DIRTY WORK as if it's in the same universe as EXILE.

But it IS!cool smiley
Exile is my 5th-favorite Stones-album, DW my 6th-favorite... and there is only a thin line between.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 18, 2015 22:32

never understood why so many people like saint of me, its the worst stones single ever,its embarrasing, even worse than mixed emotions. i was well gutted when saint of me was released as a single, its basically saying, were no trying any more and dont care and we know your stupid enough to pretend you like it that you will convince yourself one day that its good.

out of control is poor too, as is most of the album but saint of me and out of control seems to be what the vast majority of stones fans dig on the album. i just dont get what these people have for ears.mine obviously are different.

i agree with the chap who like me dislikes these 2 songs and likes gunface, i dont understand why so many hate gunface, its easily the best song on the album which has few good songs.

anybody seen my baby
already over me
flip the switch
you dont have to mean it

along with gunface make up the 5 good songs on the album, the rest is average, mediocre or just plain crap.

Date: October 18, 2015 22:54

Saint Of Me & Out Of Control belong to a Mick-solo-album, these songs shouldnt be on any Stones-album, both songs are horrible.

Everytime I hear Mick´s humming on Out Of Control and his awful affected singing I almost throw the Cd out of my window. Saint Of Me is nothing but a pain in ... you know where.

What I really like is Too Tight, one could rightfully say "Stones-by-numbers", but the song is very enjoyable, much like "Too Tough" or "All The Way Down" on Undercover, nothing special but refreshing and the Stones sounding like the Stones.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home