Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617
Current Page: 17 of 17
Re: ALBUM TALK: Bridges To Babylon
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2022 11:20

They should back out
Flip Da Switch and Scarlet back ta back ....

Man that'd be wild .... bolts flyin loose ... rattlin

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 1, 2022 11:42

yes that would be wonderfulsmiling smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 2, 2022 16:56

I know the catalog doesn't have much thereafter, but to me, this is their last masterpiece. Nearly a perfect album except for MAWGJ, which I always always ALWAYS skip. What a chunk of rubbish. But otherwise a superb album, NYC-ish for the 90's. Some Girls younger, half-sister, and it works phenomenally well.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 22, 2023 15:12

Kenny Aronoff and Don Was talk about “How Can I Stop” and other memories of B2B sessions on Kenny’s podcast:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 22, 2023 16:03

Great album IMO. The production/sound is lacking a bit and doesn't hold up over time. Flip the Switch for instance sounds flat and is lacking bass.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 22, 2023 17:45

Bridges is one of my favorite albums.It’s their last excellent album.IMO Bigger Bang is up there with Dirty Work as contender for their worst album.Sounds like the new album will be a return to excellence

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 22, 2023 17:54

MelBelli
Kenny Aronoff and Don Was talk about “How Can I Stop” and other memories of B2B sessions on Kenny’s podcast:

[youtu.be]

I like Don’s reference to “A Love Supreme” when talking about Charlie’s beautiful cymbal crescendo at the end of “How Can I Stop.”

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 22, 2023 18:16

Taylor1
Bridges is one of my favorite albums.It’s their last excellent album.IMO Bigger Bang is up there with Dirty Work as contender for their worst album.Sounds like the new album will be a return to excellence

Guess what? As much as I love Bridges, I consider both Dirty Work and Bang to be way better albums!

C

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 22, 2023 18:27

I was very excited about 'Bridges' at the time of its release and for many years after, though the excitement has wanned in recent years. It's still the best post-Wyman album though it's no longer far and away the best...just slightly. As was mentioned, the sound and production and (for me some of the songs) haven't held up as well on 'Bridges'. Funny enough, I've come to like 'Bigger Bang' more over the years, perhaps for its "fewer cooks in the kitchen" approach...though it's still below 'Babylon', it just got closer to it. 'Voodoo', for me, is the worst of the three and really has become my least favorite Stones album. I loved 'Voodoo' when it was released too (likely as I had just become a fan in '89 and it was exciting to see a new album coming out) but overtime it's rawkishness and lack of Wyman's "roll" have put it below even 'Dirty Work' for me.

All said though, I'll definitely spin 'Bridges' this weekend in honor of its anniversary.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2023 20:40

Wuudy
Great album IMO. The production/sound is lacking a bit and doesn't hold up over time. Flip the Switch for instance sounds flat and is lacking bass.

Lacking bass!!???

Are you out of your mind? The bass kills on that track!!!

One idea I had was to use an upright bassist (Jeff Sarli) on three tracks: Flip the Switch, Too Tight and on How Can I Stop. I wanted to get away from the dum, dum,dum dum, electric bass. I figured, Let's try to get some swing.
- Keith Richards, July 1997

Got this guy from Baltimore in, Jeff Sarli, plays like Willie Dixon. I didn't want that same electric bass texture. I wanted a little more roll to it, 'cause we've got enough rock. Whatever DID happen to the roll? Actually it probably lives in an upright bass.
- Keith Richards, September 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

I've been finding that BRIDGES has held up better than STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO and BANG combined: the production is miles above any of those three, the sound (and sounds) is exceptional and, for the most part, the songs are excellent to pretty damn good, especially in the modern (Wyman-less) context of 1994-2023.

Rain Fall Down and Laugh... would've fit perfectly on BRIDGES.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2023 20:41

MelBelli

[youtu.be]

Don can't remember Jeff Sarli's name!

Date: September 23, 2023 00:48

I also think that B2B is one of their very best albums. Certainly the best of the late era. They took it on the road and played the hell out of it too.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617
Current Page: 17 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home