Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 17
Re: ALBUM TALK: Bridges To Babylon
Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: August 21, 2018 04:35

There are outtakes of this Album???

Date: August 21, 2018 09:34

SomeGuy
I find it strange that they had to give kd lang credit for Anybody Seen when in fact it sounds nothing like her song Constant Craving except for three notes in the chorus, yet they had no problem with claiming Out Of Control (an obvious copy in more ways than one) as their own. Matter of fact I've never liked the latter song because its so obviously not the real thing.

Perhaps they knew that the song they nicked OOC off also was lifted from somewhere else? Not too unlikely, although I can't come up with any evidence here and now smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 21, 2018 11:51

The mighty Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong penned Papa Was
and first recorded it in 1971 with Motown act The Undisputed Truth ….

Then in 1972 Whitfield went to The Temptations and cut a 12 minute version
….. the single version was sliced back to around 7 mins .. but it is the Temps version of PWARS that is now remembered as the classic version ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 21, 2018 16:23

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
I find it strange that they had to give kd lang credit for Anybody Seen when in fact it sounds nothing like her song Constant Craving except for three notes in the chorus, yet they had no problem with claiming Out Of Control (an obvious copy in more ways than one) as their own. Matter of fact I've never liked the latter song because its so obviously not the real thing.

Perhaps they knew that the song they nicked OOC off also was lifted from somewhere else? Not too unlikely, although I can't come up with any evidence here and now smiling smiley
Which song that OOC was nicked from are you all referring to?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 21, 2018 18:36

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 21, 2018 21:30

Deltics
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy

[www.youtube.com]
Damn, that is seriously blatant. Never knew that...I'm amazed Mick and Keith didn't get nailed on this one too.

Posted by: DoctorStone ()
Date: September 10, 2018 02:31

i also asked this a couple of months ago (https://iorr.org/talk/read.php?2,2360277,2360277#msg-2360277). would be great to have a documentary as brew and stew for voodoo lounge. please let me know in case there is something available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-10 02:37 by DoctorStone.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: September 11, 2018 03:58

One of their worst albums.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 11, 2018 05:24

One of their best albums...
maybe the best modern albums... one of my favorites.
When it came I needed it... and the tour that followed was awesome!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 11, 2018 05:28

boogaloojef
One of their worst albums.

Definitely ranks at the bottom with all their other albums since Undercover - hard to say which one is the absolute worst.
Blue and Lonesome is a step in the right direction production-wise, now only if they can get some original tunes together.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 11, 2018 05:39

Leonioid

Agree. I rank this and VOODOO LOUNGE (and MAIN OFFENDER, WANDERING SPIRIT, and SLIDE ON THIS) very highly.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 11, 2018 05:49

Rocky Dijon
Leonioid

Agree. I rank this and VOODOO LOUNGE (and MAIN OFFENDER, WANDERING SPIRIT, and SLIDE ON THIS) very highly.

Right on!

Great album and a great tour with 3-5 news songs played per show.
(I better go look and make sure my memory is correct)... and it is smoking smiley

This was one of the eight shows I saw on that killer tour
Nov 11 1994 War Memorial Stadium, Little Rock, AR, USA

Voodoo Lounge Tour setlist [www.setlist.fm]
Not Fade Away
(The Crickets cover)

Tumbling Dice

You Got Me Rocking

Shattered

Rocks Off

Sparks Will Fly

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Beast of Burden

Far Away Eyes

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

Love Is Strong

It's All Over Now
(The Valentinos cover)

I Go Wild

Miss You

Honky Tonk Women

Before They Make Me Run
(Keith Richards on lead vocals)

The Worst
(Keith Richards on lead vocals)

Sympathy for the Devil

Monkey Man

Street Fighting Man

Start Me Up

It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)

Brown Sugar

Encore:
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-11 05:52 by Leonioid.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 11, 2018 06:54

I was at the Cleveland show. Not Fade Away, You Got Me Rocking, Shattered, Rocks Off, Sparks Will Fly, Beast of Burden, No Expectations, Memory Motel, All Down the Line, The Worst, Love is Strong, Monkey Man, and Street Fighting Man were all highlights for me. The only disappointment was I Can't Get Next To You as I wish they'd played The Temptations' arrangement which would have suited the band much better. Lenny Kravitz joined them for it. I didn't much care for the duet or his opening set that night, though I felt bad for him knowing he was playing to an audience that just wanted the Stones to come out. Comic relief of the night was I Go Wild as Mick sang "I get sick, lumps in my throat," a guy in our group did just that as a result of too much beer. It was also the first Stones show I went to where beer breaks and bathroom breaks occurred en masse. At Steel Wheels five years earlier, the audience was riveted. Still, there were many highlights for me.

Bridges to Babylon
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 24, 2018 18:49

I found this online:

The Rolling Stones "Bridges to Babylon"

Bridges to Babylon is the 21st British and 23rd American studio album by British rock band The Rolling Stones, released by Virgin Records on 29 September 1997. It would prove to be the band's final studio album of the 1990s and their last full-length release of new songs until 2005's A Bigger Bang. Released as a double album on vinyl and a single CD, the album was supported by the year-long worldwide Bridges to Babylon Tour that met with much success.

Following the Voodoo Lounge Tour, and Stripped projects of 1994/1995, the Stones afforded themselves a brief respite before Mick Jagger and Keith Richards began composing new songs together in the summer of 1996 with demos to follow as they met in New York in November and London the following month. Another writing session happened in Barbados on January 1997.

In March 1997, the band arrived in Los Angeles to start the recording sessions at Ocean Way Studios. After many albums recorded in isolated islands, working in a big city allowed for the contribution of various musician friends of the band. Bridges to Babylon was recorded until July, and the four month production made it one of their most concise periods of recording in years. The sessions would frequently be all-nighters that lasted until Richards got tired by the morning.

Although Don Was would be the producer again, Jagger arrived before the other Stones to seek local producers. First were The Dust Brothers, who had impressed Jagger with their work on Beck's Odelay and the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique. The Dust Brothers' contributions were initially five, but were reduced to three, which mark the only Stones songs to feature sampling. Danny Saber and Babyface were also brought in by Jagger, though the latter's contributions to the track "Already Over Me" were eventually discarded. Richards was not keen on the idea of working with "loop gurus", going as far as expelling Saber from the studio once he found him overdubbing guitars. Richards brought in Rob Fraboni for his solo material, and Was made sure to work with Richards and Jagger in separate rooms. Drummer Charlie Watts would relieve the tense environment by working along with percussionist Jim Keltner, who he would later draft for a solo project. By the final week of recording, the Stones were not in speaking terms, with Jagger boycotting sessions arranged by Richards' crew and Watts leaving Los Angeles as soon as he finished his contributions.

During the album's mastering, the projected lead single "Anybody Seen My Baby?" was found to resemble k.d. lang's 1992 hit "Constant Craving" in its chorus, a discovery brought to Richards' attention by his daughter Angela. Seeking to avoid possible future legal entanglements, lang and her co-writer Ben Mink were credited along with Jagger and Richards on the new song. It reached No. 22 in the UK and also became a U.S. radio rock hit.

A total of eight different musicians played bass on the sessions for the album: Jeff Sarli, Jamie Muhoberac, Blondie Chaplin, Don Was, Danny Saber, Darryl Jones, Me'shell Ndegeocello, and Doug Wimbish.

Once the Rolling Stones picked Stefan Sagmeister to be the album's art director, Jagger told him to seek inspiration from Babylonian art exhibited at the British Museum. Sagmeister was most impressed by a Lamassu sculpture, featuring a lion with a human head and beard, and commissioned artist Kevin Murphy to paint a similar Assyrian lion in an attack stance. The first million units of Bridges to Babylon were encased in a special manufactured filigree slipcase, that gave the impression that the lion was embedded into the design. The desert background of the cover was extended throughout the booklet, featuring ruins that were the basis for the Bridges to Babylon Tour stage design.

Bridges to Babylon, containing an unprecedented three solo vocals by Richards, was released to mixed reviews. It reached No. 6 in the UK, No. 2 in France and No. 3 in the US, where it was certified platinum by the RIAA in November 1997. As of January 2010, Bridges to Babylon has sold 1.1 million copies in the U.S. Further singles "Saint of Me" and concert staple "Out of Control" were also minor hits.

The Stones had become a touring phenomenon by this point. The Bridges to Babylon Tour in 1997 consisted of 108 shows, with an elaborate stage design Jagger aimed to make similar to U2's PopMart Tour.

In 2009, Bridges to Babylon was remastered and reissued by Universal Music.

[ontheroadagain1970.blogspot.com]

Re: Bridges to Babylon
Date: September 24, 2018 18:50

Date: September 24, 2018 18:53

More Babylon art. Hi Tim.

Date: September 24, 2018 18:55

Date: September 24, 2018 18:57

Date: September 24, 2018 19:00

Date: September 24, 2018 19:01

Date: September 24, 2018 19:03

Date: September 24, 2018 19:08

Date: September 24, 2018 19:09

Date: September 24, 2018 19:10

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 24, 2018 19:51

Some nice art stuff. The thought that nags at me after looking at these is that, though I have this album on CD, its one of those Stones albums that remains rarely listened to, if remembered at all. There's more than one album like this in my collection and its not just the Stones.

Date: September 24, 2018 20:11

dmay
Some nice art stuff. The thought that nags at me after looking at these is that, though I have this album on CD, its one of those Stones albums that remains rarely listened to, if remembered at all. There's more than one album like this in my collection and its not just the Stones.

It's time to dust-off Bridges to Babylon. Turn up "Too Tight!" I love that song. One of my favorite Stones songs!

[www.youtube.com]

"Untie those sheep shanks, yes
And all those fancy knots
I'm not Houdini, honey
C'mon now and loosen up ..."

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 24, 2018 21:50

Played the cd friday and saturday, yes the cd, not spotify etc.
Still a great album. Gunface was never a standout track to me, untill now, after all those years I got a new appreciation for this song. Great guitars and has an edge. Would love to would have seen this one live.

Date: September 24, 2018 22:01

More info in Album Talk: Bridges To Babylon:

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-24 22:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 24, 2018 22:45

The article you found online is lifted word for word from Wikipedia.
[en.wikipedia.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: September 24, 2018 22:58

Last beautiful and real art desing on a Stones album...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home