Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15
Re: ALBUM TALK: Dirty Work
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 19, 2019 17:08

I'm listening to DW for the first time in a decade or 2. I'm in a huge house in the ancient woods of Southern England, and it sounds loud and vital! Jagger's crazed growl nicely settled in with the nasty guitars.

I'm up to Don't Hold Back so far...

Date: August 19, 2019 17:13

Now I'm at Winning Ugly, which could prove more challenging..

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 19, 2019 17:53

Just wait for it... smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2019 01:48

peoplewitheyes
Now I'm at Winning Ugly, which could prove more challenging..

Time you will never get back.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 20, 2019 01:56

I don't think Jagger cared that much for DW. All he had in his mind was probably his own solo efforts.
The mid eighties was a transitional period for the band. DW could very well have been their last album...

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 20, 2019 03:20

SomeGuy
Just wait for it... smiling smiley

...and lo! and behold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-20 03:21 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2019 03:46

Stoneage
I don't think Jagger cared that much for DW. All he had in his mind was probably his own solo efforts.
The mid eighties was a transitional period for the band. DW could very well have been their last album...

It sure sounds like the end of the band: dismal.

Too bad it's not the end of this thread.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 20, 2019 05:05

I have a theory. Only the crappy albums come up on ALBUM TALK posts. It's like someone wants to justify the crapitude of TSMR, UNDERCOVER and DIRTY WORK. Those three make EMOTIONAL RESCUE, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS, and GOATS HEAD SOUP look strong by comparison. And nobody cares to discuss much the Post-Wyman albums. Don't Stop? Please stop.

Date: August 20, 2019 08:27

24FPS
I have a theory. Only the crappy albums come up on ALBUM TALK posts. It's like someone wants to justify the crapitude of TSMR, UNDERCOVER and DIRTY WORK. Those three make EMOTIONAL RESCUE, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS, and GOATS HEAD SOUP look strong by comparison. And nobody cares to discuss much the Post-Wyman albums. Don't Stop? Please stop.

Check for yourself if your theory is true smiling smiley

[iorr.org]

PS B2B has 14 pages with discussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-20 08:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 20, 2019 11:39

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Check for yourself if your theory is true smiling smiley

[iorr.org]

PS B2B has 14 pages with discussion.

smileys with beer

Date: August 20, 2019 14:45

I actually started to listen to Bridges to B after listening to DW, and had to switch it off. It sounded so mannered and dull.

I never thought I'd say this, but I am becoming a DW fan. I'm gonna blaze one up and put it on loud again this afternoon.

As I mentioned, I love the vitality of it, M sounds wired and angry, the guitars are nasty, and although most of you hate the production, up lout it sounded like a glorious cacophony, with the instruments and voices meshing together much better than they have since, with too many up-front vocal mixes.

Ducking now to avoid the tomatoes...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 20, 2019 16:08

I've always held a mixed opinion of DW.

There are no great songs on it, the production and drum sounds are
feckin' horrible ...

...but there's some superb guitar playing throughout and a lot of real energy in some tracks.

It you could just somehow take the 80s out of it ...I think many folks might look on it more favourably.

Date: August 20, 2019 17:15

Spud
I've always held a mixed opinion of DW.

There are no great songs on it, the production and drum sounds are
feckin' horrible ...

...but there's some superb guitar playing throughout and a lot of real energy in some tracks.

It you could just somehow take the 80s out of it ...I think many folks might look on it more favourably.

The drum sound is good on Harlem Shuffle, Had It With You and Sleep Tonight, though. It's a weird album smiling smiley

Date: August 20, 2019 17:50

Was Jags still into cocaine during the DW period, or had he cleaned up by then?

I say (without irony) that I think Micks vocals are splendid on many of the tracks here. Not typical no, but fired up, lively, kind of frustrated.

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: February 1, 2022 13:18

I love this album. I really love how polarizing it is too - it amazes me when people say it's bad. I think maybe some people can't see past the cover.
I will say this though (for what it's worth) - I would love to see a three-disc Super Deluxe edition. The first disc would be the album, disc two would be a 'lost and found' disc with all the songs we know and love from Crushed Pearls etc (the could even call it Crushed Pearls), and the third disc could be a remixed and re-poduced version - taking out all the 80s synths and drum loops etc. I think a lot more people would appreciate it.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 1, 2022 14:06

peoplewitheyes
I actually started to listen to Bridges to B after listening to DW, and had to switch it off. It sounded so mannered and dull.

I never thought I'd say this, but I am becoming a DW fan. I'm gonna blaze one up and put it on loud again this afternoon.

As I mentioned, I love the vitality of it, M sounds wired and angry, the guitars are nasty, and although most of you hate the production, up lout it sounded like a glorious cacophony, with the instruments and voices meshing together much better than they have since, with too many up-front vocal mixes.

No tomatoes from my side.
My feeling about DW is a bit like TSMR: a lot of terrible rubbish on it, but also some good stuff. In the case of TSMR: 50% is actually great.
In the case of DW, I wouldn't go that far. I love One Hit (and I love the video-clip too): the guitars, the lyrics and Mick's voice especially. The drums (or the sound of it) could have been better. Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight are alright. Winning Ugly, hated by many, is potentially a great song, if one strips the 80s sound.
The main problem with DW is Hold Back and Back To Zero, which are the equivalents of Gomper, Sing This All Together and On With The Show of TSMR.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2022 14:30

peoplewitheyes

I say (without irony) that I think Micks vocals are splendid on many of the tracks here. Not typical no, but fired up, lively, kind of frustrated.

His worst ever. Probably it started in 1981/82 tour but throughout the 80's he just decided to shout mindlessly with no much nuance in his naturally rich voice. UNDERCOVER suffers a lot of it, SHE'S THE BOSS too, but DIRTY WORK is its nadir. In PRIMITIVE COOL he understood that he has a great distinctive voice without trying to fill the space with monotoneus noise (that was something Michael Jackson was horrified too, when they did their Jacksons duet). Probably Bowie wasn't that happy either when they did their duet.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-01 14:37 by Doxa.

Date: February 1, 2022 14:35

Doxa
peoplewitheyes

His worst ever. Probably it started in 1981/82 tour but throughout the 80's he just decided to shout mindlessly with no much nuance in his naturally rich voice. UNDERCOVER suffers a lot of it, SHE'S THE BOSS too, but DIRTY WORK is its nadir. In PRIMITIVE COOL he understood that he has a great distinctive voice without trying to fill the space with monotoneus noise.

- Doxa

One Hit (To The Body) and Harlem Shuffle are the exceptions, though. Two of the singles. Probably not a coincidence smiling smiley

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: February 1, 2022 14:36

matxil
peoplewitheyes

No tomatoes from my side.
My feeling about DW is a bit like TSMR: a lot of terrible rubbish on it, but also some good stuff. In the case of TSMR: 50% is actually great.
In the case of DW, I wouldn't go that far. I love One Hit (and I love the video-clip too): the guitars, the lyrics and Mick's voice especially. The drums (or the sound of it) could have been better. Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight are alright. Winning Ugly, hated by many, is potentially a great song, if one strips the 80s sound.
The main problem with DW is Hold Back and Back To Zero, which are the equivalents of Gomper, Sing This All Together and On With The Show of TSMR.

It's funny (but nice) how we all have different views - On With The Show is my absolute highlight of TSMR smiling smiley

Date: February 1, 2022 14:38

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
peoplewitheyes

His worst ever. Probably it started in 1981/82 tour but throughout the 80's he just decided to shout mindlessly with no much nuance in his naturally rich voice. UNDERCOVER suffers a lot of it, SHE'S THE BOSS too, but DIRTY WORK is its nadir. In PRIMITIVE COOL he understood that he has a great distinctive voice without trying to fill the space with monotoneus noise.

- Doxa

One Hit (To The Body) and Harlem Shuffle are the exceptions, though. Two of the singles. Probably not a coincidence smiling smiley

Date: February 1, 2022 14:48

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
peoplewitheyes

- Doxa

With the Stones the generalations never hold water: there are always exceptions. But that said, and although I think in "Harlem Shuffle" Mick is at his best, in "One Hit" I don't hear Mick at all engaged or embodifying the song as he typically does. To me he sounds like singing karaoke or something. A distant, cold figure.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-01 14:52 by Doxa.

Date: February 1, 2022 14:51

<To me he sounds like singing karaoke or something. A distant, cold figure>

Yeah, he hasn't quite got his heart into it, perhaps. But he sings "pretty", instead of the barking/shouting (take your pick) smiling smiley

When that is said, there are Stones-tunes where I wouldn't wanna trade off the barking for anything - also in that era (Lies, Respectable, Tie You Up, Undercover).

Date: February 1, 2022 15:04

Yeah, I got you mean. No barking in "No Hit". But of those songs you mentioned, I can't really put them into same category. In "Respectable" Mick's voice is so full of his rich edge and charm, and in "Undercover" despite shouting most of it, his voice is so strong and sharp. But "Lies" and "Tie You Up" - I don't know. The first is pretty 'by-the-numbers' shout-through in SOME GIRS, and the other just, if anything, a class example of mindless barking, although probably has a sort of humorious flavor in it. Be it intentional or not.

But yeah, a question of taste.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-01 15:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 17, 2023 21:06

This doesn’t seem to have been posted anywhere else, so I’ll give this thread a bump. Here’s a recent interview with Steve Lillywhite, in which he talks briefly about his experience producing “Dirty Work.”

I think the best part is Lillywhite saying that he initially couldn’t understand how a producer worth his salt could’ve missed the value of “Start Me Up” before it wandered aimlessly into endless reggae takes. But after a month of working with them, he understood perfectly how that could happen.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-17 21:07 by MelBelli.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: August 17, 2023 21:26

Say it loud and say it proud, peoplewitheyes. 'Winning Ugly' is a great track. Strong tune, excellent guitar, meaningful lyric, committed vocal. What's not to like?
You should change your tagname to peoplewithears smiling smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 17, 2023 23:48

I always come back to Dirty Work. Especially if it´s friday night and I want to play along to a Stones-album. Can be pretty loud. smiling smiley

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 18, 2023 01:43

I’m in the minority here but still think this album is leaps and bounds better than Undercover

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 18, 2023 01:47

Bashlets
I’m in the minority here but still think this album is leaps and bounds better than Undercover
You are not the only one with mixed emotions winking smiley
But Dirty Work and Undercover are like apples and oranges. You should not compare them side by side.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: August 18, 2023 05:33

Some good songs per above but Mick shouting too much trying to sound young/energetic. Lyrics on Don't Hold Back and Back to Zero all time stupid until Sweet Neocon arrived.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 18, 2023 06:47

i like dirty work (i don't dislike any of there albums) it ain't exile but it's ok

i usually listen to she's the boss first then dirty work then primitive cool

they just kinda flow well from one to the other with me

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home