Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15
Re: ALBUM TALK: Dirty Work
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 15, 2019 20:18

It's better than I remembered, probably I heard another, less punchier live version at the time. Keith having the 'wrong sound' is not exactly exceptional when it comes to live shows of the past 30 years, I can think of another handful of songs that don't sound as good as the originals (take Undercover Of The Night: the shameful version at the Beacon theatre and also the live '89 Flashpoint single 'B' side version come to mind, speaking of punch or rather lack thereof). Times change and so do guitarists and their equipment, alas in some (many) cases.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-15 21:01 by SomeGuy.

Date: August 15, 2019 20:24

SomeGuy
It's better than I remembered, probably I heard another, less punchier live version at the time. Keith having the 'wrong sound' is not exactly exceptional when it comes to live shows of the past 40 years, I can think of another handful of songs that don't sound as good as the originals (the shameful versions of Undercover Of The Night at the Beacon theatre and the '89 Flashpoint single 'B' side come to mind, speaking of punch or rather lack thereof). Times change and so do guitarists and their equipment, alas in some (many) cases.

The 1989-version of UCOTN from Atlantic City was fantastic, before they overdubbed it and mixed it (who did that, btw??).

The thing is that Keith's open G-guitar drives One Hit, while he's just strumming along on that live version. With that Silhouette, and the amount of fuzz he used on that tour, it should be really easy to get the right sound to at least do the riffs, imo.

Date: August 15, 2019 21:00

In my opinion the lack of punch is not limited to One Hit. I can appreciate the clear telecaster sound that Keith apparently likes, but there is a definite lack of punch in perhaps half of the live set when it comes to riffs that he plays. My impression 30 years ago was that Mick must have told the band that he didn't want them to sound 'dirty' anymore or there would be no comeback album and tour.

Date: August 15, 2019 22:33

Listen to Start Me Up and Bitch from Atlantic City. That sound would suffice - by miles.

Date: August 15, 2019 22:48

Ok, the Atlantic City version of Start Me Up, let's say, will do. But usually the two songs you mention are in my opinion typical of what I was arguing: no punch. Most often painfully clear on Start Me Up especially. Everytime I hear that intro I'm disappointed. Turn it up man! is what I think. Surely it's not that hard to replicate a guitar sound you produced in the studio, on the stage? He doesn't have to surpass Richie Blackmore, but d*rn it, just a little more effort please winking smiley
But ok, it's just me probably, I tend to like the heavier side of rock n roll music more than the pop side of it anyway.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 15, 2019 23:12

SomeGuy
Ok, the Atlantic City version of Start Me Up, let's say, will do. But usually the two songs you mention are in my opinion typical of what I was arguing: no punch. Most often painfully clear on Start Me Up especially. Everytime I hear that intro I'm disappointed. Turn it up man! is what I think. Surely it's not that hard to replicate a guitar sound you produced in the studio, on the stage? He doesn't have to surpass Richie Blackmore, but d*rn it, just a little more effort please winking smiley
But ok, it's just me probably, I tend to like the heavier side of rock n roll music more than the pop side of it anyway.
It's funny...Keith's guitar is the loudest, rawest, and crunchiest it's been in AGES the last couple of years. It's a shame he wasn't using the same level of distortion during the Licks and ABB tours before his skills had deteriorated.

Date: August 15, 2019 23:31

keefriff99
SomeGuy
It's funny...Keith's guitar is the loudest, rawest, and crunchiest it's been in AGES the last couple of years. It's a shame he wasn't using the same level of distortion during the Licks and ABB tours before his skills had deteriorated.
Well I haven't been to any shows since 2007 so I wouldn't know. What I do know is that the recent dvds that we have gotten don't feature that raw sound much. Or maybe we have different definitions of that sound. To be clear, I do like Keith's sound alright, it's rather clean, almost no effects at all, which I find commendable really (loud doesn't mean crunchy per se). But it makes it harder to give that extra punch when necessary. And sometimes you notice that live he falls a bit short, compared to 1. the studio versions and 2. live recordings from before 1980 (even the Still Life record sounds more powerful than for instance Flashpoint).
But as I said it's probably just me, so, let's crank out some Stones!
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-16 00:03 by SomeGuy.

Date: August 16, 2019 00:36

I believe that it's impossible to replicate the SMU-sound in concert, and to make it work. That sound is unique (and very well supported by Keith's dirty guitar #2 in the left channel) smiling smiley

And the sound is very clean...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-16 00:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 16, 2019 00:55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-16 04:53 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: August 16, 2019 07:10

"Fight" INSTRUMENTAL:

[www.youtube.com]

They are on hot smiley here. I don't care what anyone says, the Stones haven't sounded this raw and nasty since DIRTY WORK minus a few exceptions.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 16, 2019 08:21

JordyLicks96
"Fight" INSTRUMENTAL:

[www.youtube.com]

They are on hot smiley here. I don't care what anyone says, the Stones haven't sounded this raw and nasty since DIRTY WORK minus a few exceptions.

Heading to hair/stadium rock territory... This example gives a better understanding of what Mick meant in an interview back then. Does not sound like the Stones imo. And other bands were better at this kind of stuff - Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Van Halen and the like.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: August 16, 2019 08:34

retired_dog
JordyLicks96
"Fight" INSTRUMENTAL:

[www.youtube.com]

Heading to hair/stadium rock territory... This example gives a better understanding of what Mick meant in an interview back then. Does not sound like the Stones imo. And other bands were better at this kind of stuff - Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Van Halen and the like.

You can't be serious...this is a very Stonesy rocker. Is it the best one out there? Far from it, but you must be joking. It's an 80's rocker but nothing like Van Halen...Bon Jovi????? I don't even know how to respond to that....

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 16, 2019 10:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-16 10:50 by deardoctor.

Date: August 16, 2019 10:55

JordyLicks96
retired_dog
JordyLicks96
"Fight" INSTRUMENTAL:

[www.youtube.com]

You can't be serious...this is a very Stonesy rocker. Is it the best one out there? Far from it, but you must be joking. It's an 80's rocker but nothing like Van Halen...Bon Jovi????? I don't even know how to respond to that....

Of course it's great.
You can't argue to the DW-haters. Leave them with their opinion.

Date: August 16, 2019 11:00

Is there any alternate SBD-version of ONE HIT to the toronto-version?

Date: August 16, 2019 11:50

retired_dog
JordyLicks96
"Fight" INSTRUMENTAL:

[www.youtube.com]

One Hit does a wee bit. But these drums and old-fashioned guitars have nothing to do with hair/stadium rock, imo smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 16, 2019 17:36

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
It's better than I remembered, probably I heard another, less punchier live version at the time. Keith having the 'wrong sound' is not exactly exceptional when it comes to live shows of the past 40 years, I can think of another handful of songs that don't sound as good as the originals (the shameful versions of Undercover Of The Night at the Beacon theatre and the '89 Flashpoint single 'B' side come to mind, speaking of punch or rather lack thereof). Times change and so do guitarists and their equipment, alas in some (many) cases.

The 1989-version of UCOTN from Atlantic City was fantastic, before they overdubbed it and mixed it (who did that, btw??).

The thing is that Keith's open G-guitar drives One Hit, while he's just strumming along on that live version. With that Silhouette, and the amount of fuzz he used on that tour, it should be really easy to get the right sound to at least do the riffs, imo.

When I heard UOTN on the single with the bwangbwangbwangs in there I was surprised - they OVERDUBBED that! It's not LIVE!

Date: August 16, 2019 17:42

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy

When I heard UOTN on the single with the bwangbwangbwangs in there I was surprised - they OVERDUBBED that! It's not LIVE!

I know. They also sacked life out of the guitars and compressed everything to death. It's beyond comical. Looking forward to the Atlantic City-release!

Date: August 16, 2019 17:47

deardoctor
JordyLicks96
retired_dog
JordyLicks96
"Fight" INSTRUMENTAL:

[www.youtube.com]

Of course it's great.

Bon Jovi and Van Halen were focused. But you're comparing apples and oragnes to bagels.

That Fight instrumental is unfocused, rushed and messy - the wrong kind of messy.

If you like bad Stones, that's just for you. It's a solid representation of the album - a mess.

It's not so much hating on DIRTY WORK, it's just being able to admit it's not any good, especially in respect to their discography. Bands have bad albums. This one is their worst. It's quite obvious given the history of how this album has aged, hardly played from - just one tour, really, with one song, and its critical reception. Even the band doesn't like it.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 16, 2019 18:18

I always thought it conjures up JJF on the rhythm no way near van halen or the other 1980 bands.

Date: August 16, 2019 20:13

It sounds like a Some Girls throwaway, à la Lies. A song they made about 15 varieties of, on later albums.

Date: August 16, 2019 20:29

DandelionPowderman
I believe that it's impossible to replicate the SMU-sound in concert, and to make it work. That sound is unique (and very well supported by Keith's dirty guitar #2 in the left channel) smiling smiley

Yeah it is unique. Probably because it was never intended to end up what it became. (What a strange sentence).
The Stones often talk about the odd timing at the start of HTW, but Charlie's snare on SMU is even crazier IMO.

JordyLicks96 is right about the DW guitars. The guitar sound, and attack of rawness is great on the entire album. You could say that Jagger is the one to blame for DW. He just didn't bring it. Normally he would have spent time with the band and the core riffs from Keith and Ron, and added melodies and hooks. T He did not seem to care.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 16, 2019 20:41

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

Yeah it is unique. Probably because it was never intended to end up what it became. (What a strange sentence).
The Stones often talk about the odd timing at the start of HTW, but Charlie's snare on SMU is even crazier IMO.

JordyLicks96 is right about the DW guitars. The guitar sound, and attack of rawness is great on the entire album. You could say that Jagger is the one to blame for DW. He just didn't bring it. Normally he would have spent time with the band and the core riffs from Keith and Ron, and added melodies and hooks. T He did not seem to care.

Talk. I have heard tribute bands able to replicate the original SMU live. By that I don't mean copying it note for note but rather getting the feel of it, giving it justice.
The Stones live versions of SMU have all been bad. Starting from 1981 up and till now. Sloppy I would say is the word. Sloppy.

Date: August 16, 2019 22:07

Stoneage
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

Talk. I have heard tribute bands able to replicate the original SMU live. By that I don't mean copying it note for note but rather getting the feel of it, giving it justice.
The Stones live versions of SMU have all been bad. Starting from 1981 up and till now. Sloppy I would say is the word. Sloppy.

With respect that's not correct. Start with the Atlantic City-version. That's an excellent rendition. What's worse live, though, is the decision of skipping the melody in "you make a grown man cry".

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 16, 2019 22:16

[www.youtube.com]

On a great night, it projects the idea of sloppiness, but really it's a special kind of tight

Date: August 16, 2019 23:14

grinning smiley

Date: August 16, 2019 23:31

GasLightStreet
deardoctor
JordyLicks96
retired_dog
JordyLicks96
"Fight" INSTRUMENTAL:

[www.youtube.com]

Of course it's great.

Bon Jovi and Van Halen were focused. But you're comparing apples and oragnes to bagels.

That Fight instrumental is unfocused, rushed and messy - the wrong kind of messy.

If you like bad Stones, that's just for you. It's a solid representation of the album - a mess.

It's not so much hating on DIRTY WORK, it's just being able to admit it's not any good, especially in respect to their discography. Bands have bad albums. This one is their worst. It's quite obvious given the history of how this album has aged, hardly played from - just one tour, really, with one song, and its critical reception. Even the band doesn't like it.

Äh ok
The stones aren't focussed musicans and yes, you can not compare their skills to Van Halen, not at all. They do only Rock n roll but I like it. And this fight instrumental IS Rock n Roll. Miles better than Flip the switch or all that ABB-crap. Messy? Yes indeed. Hell- it"s the Stones! The whole band is a mess. But great.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 17, 2019 00:25

deardoctor
Äh ok
The stones aren't focussed musicans and yes, you can not compare their skills to Van Halen, not at all. They do only Rock n roll but I like it. And this fight instrumental IS Rock n Roll. Miles better than Flip the switch or all that ABB-crap. Messy? Yes indeed. Hell- it"s the Stones! The whole band is a mess. But great.

Typical black/white thinking. I think you don't have to convince anybody here that the Stones are indeed a great band. But at the same time I think it's fair to say that their last true creative outburst were the Some Girls sessions, while the slow, but gradual downwards spiral began with Emotional Rescue. Already with Tattoo You (as great as it is) it was necessary to make extensive use of their 70's outtakes archive because the band in their creative state back then was not able to pull off an album of all-new material.

Of course, there were occasional glimpses of brilliance since then, but if we're really honest, outside of Stones fans circles albums like Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Dirty Work and the later stuff don't seem to even exist nowadays - and even the band themselves seems to acknowledge this, just look at their setlists, some minor exceptions not withstanding.

Personal preferences are a different subject altogether, just for the record, I like Flip The Switch a bit better than Fight, but at the same time Too Tight a lot better than Flip The Switch (which, like Highwire sounds a bit too constructed in my ears, lacking that natural flow that made their classic material so timeless).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-17 02:35 by retired_dog.

Date: August 17, 2019 02:38

retired_dog
deardoctor
Äh ok

Typical black/white thinking. I think you don't have to convince anybody here that the Stones are indeed a great band. But at the same time I think it's fair to say that their last true creative outburst were the Some Girls sessions, while the slow, but gradual downwards spiral began with Emotional Rescue. Already with Tattoo You (as great as it is) it was necessary to make extensive use of their 70's outtakes archive because the band in their creative state back then was not able to pull off an album of all-new material.

Of course, there were occasional glimpses of brilliance since then, but if we're really honest, outside of Stones fans circles albums like Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Dirty Work and the later stuff don't seem to even exist nowadays - and even the band themselves seems to acknowledge this, just look at their setlists, some minor exceptions not withstanding.

Personal preferences are a different subject altogether, just for the record, I like Flip The Switch a bit better that Fight, but at the same time Too Tight a lot better than Flip The Switch (which, like Highwire sounds a bit too constructed in my ears, lacking that natural flow that made their classic material so timeless).

Aside I don't think, it is black or white thinking, I agree with all that you said here.
And yes, ER is probably the first album that is a bit after it"s time, although it's great stuff. Then it did not get better.

Date: August 18, 2019 02:30

deardoctor
GasLightStreet
deardoctor
JordyLicks96
retired_dog
JordyLicks96
"Fight" INSTRUMENTAL:

[www.youtube.com]

Of course it's great.

Äh ok

I think you misunderstood. Of course the Stones can be focused - Harlem Shuffle is the Stones focused with DW (yet alone albums outrightly like BEGGARS BANQUET or LET IT BLEED or STICKY FINGERS and TATTOO YOU and UNDERCOVER and SOME GIRLS and on and on and on). Even in its simplicity, Had It With You is focused. But in regard to 'other bands being better at this kind of stuff' and Fight, it's not comparable - Fight sounds like a bunch of kids in a garage.

Of course Van Halen rocked harder - better, in this case - they were a HARD ROCK band with exceptional guitar skills that played heavy rock music. The Stones are not a hard rock band. There's a huge difference. Where some of VH's best tunes make one thump their heads or fists (a faster AC/DC), the Stones make one move their hips.

That's a huge difference in my book. Neither is "better", just different - but the differences mean a lot. Maybe VH's energy is geared more towards a quickie, the Stones - a marathon.

Sure, the DW flag wavers will say BUT THE ENERGY!

No. If you want sloppy energy, listen to the Sex Pistols. Or LOVE YOU LIVE.

There are just a few focused songs on DW - and Fight isn't one of them. The LP version is better than this messy run through - but even the finished version sounds... unfinished.

In regard to this shitshow of Fight compared to Flip The Switch and whatever you're on about with A BIGGER BANG (I'm guessing the rocking tunes like It Won't Take Long, Dangerous Beauty or She Saw Me Coming are light years beyond Fight - I'll give you ONNYA, which is complete crap, even though it hinted at some kind of SOME GIRLS zeitgeist in its live recording context), critically and musically, that's a joke.

The fact that the word "focus" is being expressed on this DW thread is ridiculous.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home