Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 147
Re: The Stones and Eric Clapton in the Studio Together
Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 3, 2016 20:16

Would be great. Something different and added incentive to buy the product.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 3, 2016 20:40

I'd rather somebody like Mark Knopfler. No idea if they have a relationship, but he's British, from the same generation and a tasteful player. He'd work in better than Clapton and not overshadow the record.

Date: June 3, 2016 20:59

Clapton is perfect fit to me. Little Red Rooster 1989 Atlantic City

Holy Moly Clapton went off and the look Mick gives him after he steps up.

Mick knew Clapton just set his guitar on fire. No words were needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-03 22:48 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 3, 2016 21:40

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
To me they are both great, for different reasons smiling smiley
They are, but I think we're talking about big, screaming, ecstasy-inducing electric guitar solos.

When I think about the chills that STILL go up my back when I listen to the solos in Comfortably Numb or Stairway to Heaven for the thousandth time...I only get feeling that with the Stones from the MT years.

I'm not saying the Stones need that sound...they're not a guitar hero band, but it WAS a benefit of the MT era that's mostly gone missing.

those solo's are memorable for like 2 seconds and probabl compiled from cut and paste after throwing as much on it as possible in the hope something sticks. Streets of Love solo played live with taylor is a prime example of wooden woody playing a 1 note wonder with taylor skippin around with lovely little flourish's. Wood is a great rhytham/lead chameleon player, but no great lead player.

Taylor's are quality musicianship that contain melody, rhythm and musical excellence - that doesn't mean 10000000 notes a second, just tasteful playing. sorry but those 2 solo's you link to are solo's played by rhythm players, not lead players

Date: June 3, 2016 21:43

for me, clapton being on there is an acknowledgement that a quality lead player is lacking to ice the stones cake these days but that the mixture of the cake is still quality.

Date: June 3, 2016 21:47

If those emotions Keith conveys with his acoustic don't get under your skin, that's your loss.

And nobody should tell me what a great lead player is or has to be. I know that already, thank you.

I also know that a one-dimensional view on solo guitar is limiting. Very limiting.

And there is a reason why the solo on the studio version of SFTD always gets a mention among the greatest ever. Not from a lead guitarist, you said?

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: June 3, 2016 21:49

Must have been at Mark Knopfler's British Grove Studios...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 3, 2016 22:32

Captainchaos
Wood is a great rhytham/lead chameleon player, but no great lead player.

Taylor's are quality musicianship that contain melody, rhythm and musical excellence - that doesn't mean 10000000 notes a second, just tasteful playing.

What you say about Wood is true. And that´s why he IS the perfect guitarist for the Stones. Your statement about MT is also true and that is exactly why he IS NOT the perfect player for the Stones, never WAS. They do not need a "tasteful" player with a bluesy, mellow and fluid sound, they need a player who knows to attack.

Date: June 3, 2016 22:40

DoomandGloom
The loss of Bobby Keys makes this double urgent, the new sax guy is just occupying space, not to be cruel but The Stones lost star power when Keys departed. RIP..

Karl Denson is a great player with an unique sound and superb technique and he blows his horn better than Bobby Keys ever did. The Stones may have lost a friend, they may have lost a symbolic figure on stage but they have not lost a great sax player. Karl Denson blows Bobby away anytime.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 3, 2016 22:45

What kind of credentials do you have HMS?
Have you seen all your favorites in performance? In the studio?

I ask this in a polite way.

Date: June 3, 2016 22:50

wonderboy
I'd rather somebody like Mark Knopfler.

If there is one thing that the Stones absolutely do NOT need than it´s a Mark-Knopfler-type of player. Why should they want to work with one of the most boring musicians besides David Gilmour and Eric Clapton?

Clapton is boring but when he played with the Stones he always awakened a bit. Knopfler would make the Stones fall asleep too. His last couple of albums are oh so tranquilizing, I am afraid he may infect the Stones.

Date: June 3, 2016 23:06

HMS
Captainchaos
Wood is a great rhytham/lead chameleon player, but no great lead player.

Taylor's are quality musicianship that contain melody, rhythm and musical excellence - that doesn't mean 10000000 notes a second, just tasteful playing.

What you say about Wood is true. And that´s why he IS the perfect guitarist for the Stones. Your statement about MT is also true and that is exactly why he IS NOT the perfect player for the Stones, never WAS. They do not need a "tasteful" player with a bluesy, mellow and fluid sound, they need a player who knows to attack.

Taylor's not 'the' perfect fit, sure BUT in MR CYHMK you heard a quality lead player elevate the band (&Himself) to peaks not often reached these days. yeah, abit of edge & danger is a side of the stones id love more of for sure smiling smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 3, 2016 23:09

HMS
DoomandGloom
The loss of Bobby Keys makes this double urgent, the new sax guy is just occupying space, not to be cruel but The Stones lost star power when Keys departed. RIP..

Karl Denson is a great player with an unique sound and superb technique and he blows his horn better than Bobby Keys ever did. The Stones may have lost a friend, they may have lost a symbolic figure on stage but they have not lost a great sax player. Karl Denson blows Bobby away anytime.
there's more to music than that, Keys was an icon, his melodic solos are part of history.

Date: June 3, 2016 23:11

DandelionPowderman
If those emotions Keith conveys with his acoustic don't get under your skin, that's your loss.

And nobody should tell me what a great lead player is or has to be. I know that already, thank you.

I also know that a one-dimensional view on solo guitar is limiting. Very limiting.

And there is a reason why the solo on the studio version of SFTD always gets a mention among the greatest ever. Not from a lead guitarist, you said?

yeah but the context of my reply to you was of 2 turd bits of lead you put on. Your putting those together with SFTD? come on..

Date: June 3, 2016 23:35

You see turds, I hear great music. Let's leave it at that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 4, 2016 00:05

DoomandGloom
HMS
DoomandGloom

there's more to music than that, Keys was an icon, his melodic solos are part of history.

Agreed regarding Bobby Keys - he is missed in many ways.
And regarding melodic solos that are part of history - the same can be said about Mick Taylor. His guitar solos elevated the band into new territory, and when he left the music was for the most part compromised. Not saying that every Stones song after that needs a killer solo ala Mick Taylor (Some Girls has several fine examples of great tunes with minimal guitar solos), but the simple fact is (imo) his playing is far superior to anything that came after him. Hard to understand why anyone would disagree with that, but to each his own. Looking forward to hear what Clapton brings - it's been decades since I've heard a truly great guitar solo in a Stones song.

Date: June 4, 2016 07:59

Hairball
DoomandGloom
HMS
DoomandGloom

Agreed regarding Bobby Keys - he is missed in many ways.
And regarding melodic solos that are part of history - the same can be said about Mick Taylor. His guitar solos elevated the band into new territory, and when he left the music was for the most part compromised. Not saying that every Stones song after that needs a killer solo ala Mick Taylor (Some Girls has several fine examples of great tunes with minimal guitar solos), but the simple fact is (imo) his playing is far superior to anything that came after him. Hard to understand why anyone would disagree with that, but to each his own. Looking forward to hear what Clapton brings - it's been decades since I've heard a truly great guitar solo in a Stones song.
When MT was in the Stones he was as great as any guitarist of his era. The present day EC is way ahead of the present day MT. With Clapton you won't hear bum.notes or miscontrol of his guitar settings night after night. What Clapton could bring is 100% professionalism to what is already the best concert on earth. Maybe the whole crew is sick of The Vegas show, They might just want to jam new tunes and be a band. Despite what kids here think Clapton never is out of the moment on stage, He will challenge the guitar section and keep DJ on his toes. EC can also set Jagger up into diffetent sections and create holes. Something los tvsince Bill. I have high hopes and see this as a way to fill the space left by Bobby.Keys.

Date: June 4, 2016 09:21

You forgot to mention that Clapton's sound is dubious at best. Not without significance for a band like the Stones.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 4, 2016 15:10

Knopfler , Gilmour and Clapton may be boring for some people . For other people they are just the best guitar players ever . Signature sound and passion .
Maybe Clapton is not the best guitarist for RS , but i will appreciate and enjoy his contributions . His solo on red rooster is much more than superb

Date: June 4, 2016 16:58

DandelionPowderman
You forgot to mention that Clapton's sound is dubious at best. Not without significance for a band like the Stones.
unsure or uncertain : feeling doubt about something
: causing doubt, uncertainty, or suspicion : likely to be bad or wrong
—used ironically in phrases like dubious honor and dubious distinction to describe something bad or undesirable as if it were an honor or achievement
Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's this is not how I'd describe EC.

Date: June 4, 2016 17:12

The word I was looking for was "questionable".

Let's put it this way: I have my doubts about Eric picking up his ES and his old 60s Marshall to recreate his good sound again. He probably finds his Bandmaster and signature Strats superior himself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-04 20:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 4, 2016 17:35

HMS
DoomandGloom

Bull crap

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 4, 2016 17:37

I hope they did not play some boring blues like some eric clapton's new songs from the 'I still do'

Date: June 4, 2016 17:47

Clapton could probably pick up a plastic toy guitar and make it sound good.
He still stands above most - if not all - of his contemporaries as far as blues, and if you've seen him live you would understand.
He is more 'authentic' and way beyond better than all other young whippersnapper 'virtuosos' as well imo.Whether it was last year or 50 years ago - his playing live is something to behold.
Some find it boring maybe, but not everyone can relate to extended electric guitar blues solos.Whether it's a blazing fast multi-note solo, or a single wailing sustained note - he has the touch.
With the Stones - whether on record or live - he will bring his skills and fit right in. He has the experience and expertise that will raise the Stones back up to a higher level.
The Stones obviously understand and appreciate all of this, otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about him right now.

Date: June 4, 2016 18:12

Maybe EC´s particiption was coincidentally, he was just at the same time at the same place and it wasn´t planned. Maybe we will never hear the results, who knows...

Another possibility is that the Stones invited EC to make MT blush with anger.

I dont think the Stones invite other guitarists because they feel they can´t do it on their own. They could, maybe it would take some extra studio time but they could...

If I say EC is boring I dont mean his playing, I mean his albums that consists mostly of boring songs, at least the ones I know. IMO, he´s done his finest work with Cream. His solo efforts were always boring, no matter who excellent his playing might be. David Gilmour also has a great guitar sound but his songwriting skills are rather poor unfortunatly.

Date: June 4, 2016 18:47

HMS
Maybe EC´s particiption was coincidentally, he was just at the same time at the same place and it wasn´t planned. Maybe we will never hear the results, who knows...

Or maybe EC forced himself into the studio and demanded to be heard while holding the Stones hostage.

HMS
Another possibility is that the Stones invited EC to make MT blush with anger.

Lol.

HMS
I dont think the Stones invite other guitarists because they feel they can´t do it on their own. They could, maybe it would take some extra studio time but they could...

Of course they could do it on their own, but the results would be inferior.
Not to bash Ronnie, but compared with EC his blues chops are very poor, and Ronnie would probably be the first to admit it.

HMS
If I say EC is boring I dont mean his playing, I mean his albums that consists mostly of boring songs, at least the ones I know. IMO, he´s done his finest work with Cream. His solo efforts were always boring, no matter who excellent his playing might be. David Gilmour also has a great guitar sound but his songwriting skills are rather poor unfortunatly.

Don't know much about mostof his solo albums from the last 30 years or so, as I'd agree they lack something.
But most of his work with the Yardbirds is great (he was only 18-20 years old).
The entire Bluesbreakers album is phenomenal.
While in Cream he had his moments an innovations, but it wasn't all spectacular.
Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps, enough said.
Blind Faith - mostly great.
Derek and the Dominos - with Duane Allman, amazing dualing guitars and one of my favorite albums.
And many of his solo albums in the '70's have great guitar playing - Let it Rain being a fine example.
In a live setting though, he's still a master at his craft.

This from 30 years ago - Hail Hail Rock'n'Roll movie- Chuck demands another solo from EC and drops to his knee in high praise. The highlight of the movie imo.
Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton - Wee Wee Hours

Date: June 4, 2016 20:56

That Wee Wee Hours solo is awesome. Always loved that one.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 4, 2016 20:58

DandelionPowderman
That Wee Wee Hours solo is awesome. Always loved that one.

smileys with beer

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: June 4, 2016 21:32

They should get Buddy Guy to sit in.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 4, 2016 21:37

...when listening to Sticky Fingers Deluxe...the only thing I usually skip is Brown Sugar with Clapton....just sayin'

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2100
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home