Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...118119120121122123124125126127128...LastNext
Current Page: 123 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 7, 2016 13:40

georgelicks
24FPS
Screw it. New albums don't matter anymore.

It's a sad fact and not for a new Stones' album alone.

George any news on the Beck release? Looks like October correct?

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 7, 2016 14:44

Dudes are like, really old.

Jus saying.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 7, 2016 15:56

bye bye johnny
Don Was interview on RRR Radio's "Off The Record" - starts at 1:54:00

[ondemand.rrr.org.au]

Thanks to Rockman.

-----

Keith talked about the blues album a couple of weeks ago while doing press for his BBC documentary. Says it's coming out in "autumn", and Clapton guests on two songs - starts at 1:45:00

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Thanks Bye Bye Johny.
Jeroen

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 7, 2016 16:16

If this is really all about the band refusing to accept their shrinking market, their best option is to include a copy of the new album with each concert ticket sold. Other artists have done it to guarantee they will sell more than 500,000 copies.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 7, 2016 16:27

Rocky Dijon
If this is really all about the band refusing to accept their shrinking market, their best option is to include a copy of the new album with each concert ticket sold. Other artists have done it to guarantee they will sell more than 500,000 copies.

so easily done too. spend $500 for a ticket and get a download code. they should be doing that automatically, it's a no-brainer. people might actually listen to the new music and they could even play some new songs at the shows.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 7, 2016 16:47

Rocky Dijon

thumbs up

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 7, 2016 17:03

GasLightStreet
They'll sell at least 500,000 copies in the US alone, possibly max out just over a million after a few months. That's probably a safe estimate. For some reason the UK sales are always dismal considering the population of London alone... so the UK is probably not as relevant as the US when it comes to sales.

Are you serious? 500k?
Do you know how many rock albums did sell 500k in the US this year? None
And how many released on 2015 did sell 500k? 5 albums

Coldplay's last one did sell 530k in the US so far with 4 Hot 100 singles and current tour on support, it will be lucky to reach 650-700k when all is done.
Bowie's last one had all the press and shock with his death, it debuted at #1 and had a Top 40 hit too, current sales are 430k sold in the US.

The last Stones' album selling over 500k in the US was ABB on 2005, and back then the sales were still decent.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 7, 2016 17:16

They shouldn't be so skeered...5 Seconds Of Summer sold 192k units in its first week...many more by now
The Stones can be a man band instead of a boy band

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 7, 2016 17:26

georgelicks
GasLightStreet
They'll sell at least 500,000 copies in the US alone, possibly max out just over a million after a few months. That's probably a safe estimate. For some reason the UK sales are always dismal considering the population of London alone... so the UK is probably not as relevant as the US when it comes to sales.

Are you serious? 500k?

Coldplay's last one did sell 530k in the US so far with 4 Hot 100 singles and current tour on support, it will be lucky to reach 650-700k when all is done.
Bowie's last one had all the press and shock with his death, it debuted at #1 and had a Top 40 hit too, current sales are 430k sold in the US.

The last Stones' album selling over 500k in the US was ABB on 2005, and back then the sales were still decent.

Some US sales figures from Nielsen:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 7, 2016 18:00

Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet
latebloomer
georgelicks
24FPS
Screw it. New albums don't matter anymore.

It's a sad fact and not for a new Stones' album alone.

I'm sure they are well aware that a new album won't be a big seller, but it will make noise in the press, give them some new material to tour behind, burnish their legacy, and please their fans...I do think all those things matter very much to them.

Eh, new material to tour behind is really absurd when you consider the BANG tour. Hell, even LICKS seeing that they had four new songs to work with and they only played one.

It seems logical that a percentage that's enough would buy the new album to make it... maybe not worthwhile for the record label so much but for the people that buy it. The Stones just aren't big record sellers - if they sell 2 million copies world wide it's probably called a success, just like VOODOO and BRIDGES were - albeit they actually played songs from those LPs on tour.

With exception to the occasional playing of Doom And Gloom, One More Shot, Out Of Control and the unfortunate You Got Me Rocking, Mick has decided that they are very much like The Beach Boys in operating as a nostalgia machine/greatest hits act since nothing really goes past 1981 for the past, what, basically 4 years.

Maybe it will give them a charge, unlike A BIGGER BANG did, and they approach it like they did in 1994 and 1997 by playing 4-6 songs or whatever they wound up doing from the new LP.

Nonsense. The played a lot of ABB at least on the first leg. Even some of the "obscure" numbers: Rain Fall Down, Infamy, Back Of My Hand.

First show they played Rough Justice, Back Of My Hand, Infamy, ONNYA. By early mid October some shows were switching back and forth between Back Of My Hand and Rain Fall Down.

They played It Won't Take Long once.

That's not "playing a lot" from ABB.

Second leg (North America still) some shows had 3 songs and two with 2 songs.

Third leg (Australia) they were back up to 4.

Fourth leg - Europe - there was one show with 5 songs but went back to only 3 again and some with just 2.

Fifth leg (NA again) one show only had 1 song! A lot were just 2.

Of course there were two shows were no songs from ABB were played. You think Martin Scorsese said to Mick, "Don't play anything off the new album"?

Sixth leg (Europe again) they did just 1 (Rough Justice), with the odd show having 2 songs and one with no songs.

They didn't do that with VOODOO and BRIDGES. Something must've happened along the way for them to not want to play from BANG. Either they hated it or they were going over flat. Yet they continued to play Oh No Not You Again instead of something good - that's just bizarre.

They gave up on A BIGGER BANG.

Date: August 7, 2016 18:05

georgelicks
GasLightStreet

Are you serious? 500k?

I was serious. It seems logical. The hype of how long it's been combined with a really good single - OK so maybe the million is a bit much.

Ha ha ha ha ha... you're probably right. That's way too much. 250,000?

Date: August 7, 2016 18:08

BILLPERKS

Jus saying.

Actually, in reality, they are old.

Date: August 7, 2016 18:25

Munichhilton
They shouldn't be so skeered...5 Seconds Of Summer sold 192k units in its first week...many more by now

i wanna be your man band.

Date: August 7, 2016 18:38

I've heard people comment that they miss vinyl albums but I've also heard people talking about missing even the smaller format of the album on CD.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 7, 2016 18:44

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Street fighting man band...

Date: August 7, 2016 19:35

maumau
am I the only one who think that the "logic" of Universal as told by Georgelicks (thanks for the update) is completely crazy?

Acts on the same category as the Stones (Springsteen, Young, Dylan,...) keep on releasing stuff and not at all just "archive" items though retrospective is surely an issue.

But then, as someone told, that could be exactly the logic of releasing a blues oriented album with cover and original tracks by the stones in 2016...

imo

Considering the way things work these days with Face Book, Twitter and all the streaming sites, worrying about how to market something or the timing is ridiculous. What, wait until Christmas? That's ridiculous, especially since Xmas crap starts in late August now.

Working with the timing of the market. One would think with colleges starting up in September that that's the ripest time of year for releases.

Date: August 7, 2016 19:56

GasLightStreet
BILLPERKS

Jus saying.

Yeah , but I'm jus sayin.

Date: August 7, 2016 20:18

BILLPERKS
GasLightStreet
BILLPERKS

Jus saying.

Here, have some peanuts.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 7, 2016 21:17

>>As was said here .. Dylan .. McCartney ... Springsteen .. Release albums.? They don't have all this BS surrounding them in releasing new product?<< It is mainly The Stones fault and the issues is their reluctance.. Nothing other than that. Also as was said .. They still want to cling to being a boys / kids band rather than being a mans / adults band when it comes to this kind of thing.

So disappointed and so sick of complaining I've become bored with it. The Stones need to 'man up' when it comes to this type of thing.. They don't seem to want to so until they have a defenite release date instead of all this other BS I'm not going to be here on this thread about it.

They need to get serious and 'get real' Lol

They want to wait until the market is better... ?? Still having a disappointed lUgh at that notion of theirs and Univerals ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-07 21:30 by IanBillen.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: August 7, 2016 21:40

Rocky Dijon

I've always wondered why they never experimented with this strategy sooner, especially given how wildly successful their modern tours have been.

As much as I'm glad they're still wanting to approach this as a "proper" album release, you do have to wonder what the mentality is here. Even if the album is genuinely great, it's unlikely to yield any real hit singles or generate higher sales than ABB did. I also don't expect any new tours to be bigger than ABB or for album sales to magically rebound between now and 2017. So what do they realistically expect to change?

If they're serious about thriving in the current market, it's obviously going to require a bit of adapting. That's what I had thought the blues album was meant to be- a way to ease back into the market without unreasonable expectations of chart rankings or sales. Instead, it sounds like they're trying to approach this as if it's still the 1990s.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: August 7, 2016 22:01

Why Springsteen, Neil Young, Dylan, Ac/Dc, U2 and many others don't make this calculation?!After 11 long years a solid decent album of new stuff could come out...It cannot only a damn money matter!The honour, the pride, the desire of making new music and then the publicity and the visibility by media...Sorry, but I'm very disappointed!

Date: August 7, 2016 22:28

We never know the whole story.

Jus sayin..

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 7, 2016 23:29

mailexile67
Why Springsteen, Neil Young, Dylan, Ac/Dc, U2 and many others don't make this calculation?!After 11 long years a solid decent album of new stuff could come out...It cannot only a damn money matter!The honour, the pride, the desire of making new music and then the publicity and the visibility by media...Sorry, but I'm very disappointed!

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 8, 2016 00:24

Final results 2016 seem to be:

May/June: TOTALLY STRIPPED DELUXE

November: STONES IN CUBA/Olé,Olé,Olé South America 2016 DELUXE

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Looking forward to 2017!!!!!

smileys with beer

Edit:
Quoting mailexile67: "Springsteen, Neil Young, Dylan, Ac/Dc, U2 and many others don't make this calculation........".

Why are you talking about these Off Topic Tossers mailexili67?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-08 00:48 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 8, 2016 01:50

Msybe Keith should release another solo and hit the road.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 8, 2016 03:57

RipThisBone

smileys with beer

Edit:
Quoting mailexile67: "Springsteen, Neil Young, Dylan, Ac/Dc, U2 and many others don't make this calculation........".

Because they too are aged and yet have released albums and continue to do such .. much more so than at The Rate of The Stones .. minus excuses.... all the teasing... putting off.. and fooling themselves into thinking they still have a shot at selling 10 million copies (or 15... or 20 million).

As well... wtf is the whole point of The Stones playing Las Vegas? I thought this concert was to be the start of a string of dates in arenes this fall to coincide with the new album?

What's the point in this / of this show? Just to do 'a' concert? It all doesn't add up -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-08 03:59 by IanBillen.

Date: August 8, 2016 05:36

IanBillen
RipThisBone

smileys with beer

Edit:

Because they too are aged and yet have released albums and continue to do such .. much more so than at The Rate of The Stones .. minus excuses.... all the teasing... putting off.. and fooling themselves into thinking they still have a shot at selling 10 million copies (or 15... or 20 million).

As well... wtf is the whole point of The Stones playing Las Vegas? I thought this concert was to be the start of a string of dates in arenes this fall to coincide with the new album?

What's the point in this / of this show? Just to do 'a' concert? It all doesn't add up -

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.......
Young babies cost bucks !

Date: August 8, 2016 06:15

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Street fighting man band...

Man Hands of Fate

Date: August 8, 2016 06:17

GasLightStreet
BILLPERKS
GasLightStreet
BILLPERKS

Jus saying.

Here, have some peanuts.

green peanuts are bad for you

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 8, 2016 06:31

^^^ Those are pistachios, not peanuts.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...118119120121122123124125126127128...LastNext
Current Page: 123 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home