Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...117118119120121122123124125126127...LastNext
Current Page: 122 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: August 7, 2016 02:00

Wait another year. HELLO UNIVERSALL THESE CATS ARE IN THERE MID 70s!!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 7, 2016 02:02

Thanks for the update Georgelicks. I hadn't realized that music sales were quite
that dismal. It does make a person wonder when, or if, sales will ever improve. Would have been sweet to hear the stones highlight some of the album on the
fall tour.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 7, 2016 02:06

Yes, thank you, Georgelicks. smiling smiley

It's disappointing news, but hopefully there will still be some additional tour dates.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 7, 2016 04:18

georgelicks
Ok, here's the info about yesterday's Universal meeting: the only product confirmed for this year is the Havana DVD and the Ole tour documentary (both on sale on November), the band is still working on the album (on/off all the time) and here's the problem righ now: the market is in an all time low for sales.
The recent #1 albums are selling 40-50k (US) and 15-20k (UK) with drops of 60-70% on week 2, no one wants a new Stones' album after 10+ years selling 300k worldwide just like Keith's recent solo record.
The band/company is working with the timing of the market and some additional options* to maximize sales, it's all in the air right now.

*Additional options could be exclusive deals with streaming services or exclusive versions on Target, Itunes, etc with bonus tracks as the blues stuff.

The best selling rock album released this year (Red Hot Chili Peppers) has sold 600k worldwide in 7 weeks, ABB has sold that during the first week alone.

Man I'd rather believe they just haven't finished the album. I'm sorry the part about waiting for the market to get better is a load of crap. Their lives are pretty full they have an incredibly full schedule. The company I work for doesn't fold because of a weak economy, you carry on....

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 7, 2016 04:50

christ, Universal should read my advise somewhere on this thread about having exclusive tracks for each Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and ITunes. I don't buy the market nonsense anyway. I just hope the sessions are much more productive than anticipated and they're going to give us a killer album. The flip side is that the magic is now totally gone and besides the blues stuff they have nothing original of value. I doubt the latter

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 7, 2016 04:52

Ok, here's the info about yesterday's Universal meeting: the only product confirmed for this year is the Havana DVD and the Ole tour documentary (both on sale on November), the band is still working on the album (on/off all the time) and here's the problem righ now: the market is in an all time low for sales.
The recent #1 albums are selling 40-50k (US) and 15-20k (UK) with drops of 60-70% on week 2, no one wants a new Stones' album after 10+ years selling 300k worldwide just like Keith's recent solo record.
The band/company is working with the timing of the market and some additional options* to maximize sales, it's all in the air right now.

*Additional options could be exclusive deals with streaming services or exclusive versions on Target, Itunes, etc with bonus tracks as the blues stuff.

The best selling rock album released this year (Red Hot Chili Peppers) has sold 600k worldwide in 7 weeks, ABB has sold that during the first week alone.

----- "I'm sorry the part about waiting for the market to get better is a load of crap."

>> = totally Agree. Can't agree more. Dat be some damn Ridiculous Bulls**T Lol 'Waiting for The Market to get better'....?? Really...?? Come on Mayyyne. Ya gotta be kidding us...

- - - - -" The company I work for doesn't fold because of a weak economy, you carry on...."

>> Exactly!!! That is so weak ... In fact.. why not at least try to be a shinning star in a poor time. Competition is low.. maybe they could score a number one album. If anything it just might work in their favor in a sense.

Whats next... Coke has plans to stop making soft drinks because so many people are drinking water? Maybe GM will quite making new cars because car sales are down?

This is just total bullocks. Something gotta give. The Stones AND Universal should be ashamed lol The whole reasoning is worse than being simply a weak reason.. it's damn lame... and over all just a real turn off from the entire possibility of a new album.

**Yeah yeah I will hear the usual 'calm down Ian...' Blah blah blah .. but at what point do ya quit making excuses for The Stones on this one and finally have to say that ya gotta agree that.. enough's enough smh.. this truly is some real bulls**t at this point (it keeps getting worse instead of better)

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-07 05:13 by IanBillen.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 7, 2016 05:33

Keith had his record ready on July 2014, yet he did wait more than a year to release it, the record companies are full of people working with comercial options, market timing and ways to reach the most people, they are not fans desperate to release anything as soon as possible.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 7, 2016 05:51

Mick's all about business y'all. And sadly that has & will dictate what they do.

Nobody's buying it other than Stones fans anyway.

So waiting is lame.

Ian - WE AGREE!

Date: August 7, 2016 05:54

georgelicks
Keith had his record ready on July 2014, yet he did wait more than a year to release it, the record companies are full of people working with comercial options, market timing and ways to reach the most people, they are not fans desperate to release anything as soon as possible.

I understand that all too much but waiting six months to release something is not going to rocket sales. IMO it will not even boost sales by a million copies.. there is no way. It is counter productive to continue putting this off. Waiting another 6 months or year is <not> going to dramatically increase the albums sales .. not in this market.. and not for a band in their category.

The other problem I have is The Stones camp is overly busy anymore releasing all kinds of other things .. For example.. is their really a need for Stones in Mono?

If they are so concerned about sales.. they shouldn't saturate the market with themselves.. which .. starting from the 50th anniversary ... is what they are starting to do (minus any new real product). Yet they are so reluctant (along with their record company) to release a new album (seriously? Lol Give us a break).

The list is endless in their reissues and retro things over the past five years. Exile on Main Street re-issue.. Sticky fingers Re-Issue.. Some Girls Re-issue ... Grrr ... Stones in Mono ... Stripped Re-issue ... Where does it end? How bout just ...'issuing a new album'? Lol

I know you are simply the messenger and I'd rather have the news than not. I really appreciate your sharing things.. but I simply am pretty fed up with The Stones talking and talking and talking about getting in the studio .. for like four years... Now they are talking and talking and talking about said album .. and really whats the problem? They have no problem releasing / getting out everything else under the sun Lol This is getting ridiculous... (jus sayin)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-07 06:07 by IanBillen.

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: August 7, 2016 06:02

IanBillen
georgelicks

I understand that all too much but waiting six months to release something is not going to rocket sales. IMO it will not even boost sales by a million copies.. there is no way.

The other problem I have is The Stones camp is overly busy anymore releasing all kinds of other things .. For example.. is their really a need for Stones in Mono?

If they are so concerned about sales.. they shouldn't saturate the market with themselves.. which .. starting from the 50th anniversary ... is what they are starting to do (minus any new real product). the list is endless in their reissues and reto things over the past five years.

Yet they are so reluctant (along with their record company) to release a new album (seriously? Lol Give us a break).

Are we seriously complaining about all the great stuff we've got in the past few years? Look guys, the stones have been in semi retirement for years, and whenever they get together to either tour or record we are very lucky. They owe us nothing, they worked very hard when they were young till about 1982, but like normal they didn't want to just do the same old job their whole life, albums, singles, tours, etc. They have earned the right to rest on their laurels, and do what they want now for the fun of it. They aren't trying to build a legacy or a career, they've already had one hell of one. I'm personally glad they are taking their time making this album.

Date: August 7, 2016 06:10

jackflash1129
IanBillen
georgelicks

I understand that all too much but waiting six months to release something is not going to rocket sales. IMO it will not even boost sales by a million copies.. there is no way.

If they are so concerned about sales.. they shouldn't saturate the market with themselves.. which .. starting from the 50th anniversary ... is what they are starting to do (minus any new real product). the list is endless in their reissues and reto things over the past five years.

Yet they are so reluctant (along with their record company) to release a new album (seriously? Lol Give us a break).

Are we seriously complaining about all the great stuff we've got in the past few years? Look guys, the stones have been in semi retirement for years, and whenever they get together to either tour or record we are very lucky. They owe us nothing, they worked very hard when they were young till about 1982, but like normal they didn't want to just do the same old job their whole life, albums, singles, tours, etc. They have earned the right to rest on their laurels, and do what they want now for the fun of it. They aren't trying to build a legacy or a career, they've already had one hell of one. I'm personally glad they are taking their time making this album.

Yes I am complaining because A. They talk about this album for how long ..

and B. They consider themselves and always tout themselves as a fully functioning working band while putting all kinds of effort into everything else under the sun.

They are <not> retired. They are not even semi retired. They tour.. and release all kinds of retro stuff / re-issues versus anything new is what they do Lol. That is what they have become. Being a retro act that tours all the time and does all kinds of other special things .. is not retirement or semi-retirement... It is just lame - (sorry .. I don't mean to be a downer or down The Stones .. I never do that.. this time.. I am)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-07 06:13 by IanBillen.

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: August 7, 2016 06:16

If you once toured constantly, released an album every year or every two years and now play short mini tours and release two new tracks in a decade, I call that semi retired. But again I dont begrudge them this, these are real people not mythological characters. They have lives and Im just glad they set some time aside still to get together and play, and whatever else comes, great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-07 06:16 by jackflash1129.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 7, 2016 06:58

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet
Biggest Mistake charted at 51 in the UK. Since then nothing has charted higher than that in the UK, which is, as far as anything new and non-album, just Plundered My Soul and Doom And Gloom.

Didn't know you were limiting to the chart showings to the UK. It's meaningless anyway since they band hasn't had a hit single in over 25 years. There were also singles and videos for "Following the River" and "No Spare Parts."

Well... from what I could find that was the only place they charted in a Top 200... or something.

Date: August 7, 2016 07:07

latebloomer
georgelicks
24FPS
Screw it. New albums don't matter anymore.

It's a sad fact and not for a new Stones' album alone.

I'm sure they are well aware that a new album won't be a big seller, but it will make noise in the press, give them some new material to tour behind, burnish their legacy, and please their fans...I do think all those things matter very much to them.

Eh, new material to tour behind is really absurd when you consider the BANG tour. Hell, even LICKS seeing that they had four new songs to work with and they only played one.

It seems logical that a percentage that's enough would buy the new album to make it... maybe not worthwhile for the record label so much but for the people that buy it. The Stones just aren't big record sellers - if they sell 2 million copies world wide it's probably called a success, just like VOODOO and BRIDGES were - albeit they actually played songs from those LPs on tour.

With exception to the occasional playing of Doom And Gloom, One More Shot, Out Of Control and the unfortunate You Got Me Rocking, Mick has decided that they are very much like The Beach Boys in operating as a nostalgia machine/greatest hits act since nothing really goes past 1981 for the past, what, basically 4 years.

Maybe it will give them a charge, unlike A BIGGER BANG did, and they approach it like they did in 1994 and 1997 by playing 4-6 songs or whatever they wound up doing from the new LP.

Date: August 7, 2016 07:09

IanBillen
I thank you for the info Georgelicks. We appreciate it very much.

A new RS album isn't going to sell 10 million albums.. I figured the purpose of the new album is as was.... Not to try and sell 15 million albums.

Please make up your mind. Is it 10 or 15 million they shouldn't sell?

Date: August 7, 2016 07:11

Bashlets
IIMHO, since no new album, I wouldn't be surprised if the USA tour is limited also.

Limited in what capacity? Limited because of how they've been operating since they got it back up and running? That's not a big deal.

Limited because they're a bit older than 4 years ago? That makes sense.

Ticket sales prove that a new LP has no relevance on people going to see the Stones.

Date: August 7, 2016 07:14

georgelicks

One really good song ala Start Me Up would make that irrelevant. And really it's irrelevant anyway. They'll sell at least 500,000 copies in the US alone, possibly max out just over a million after a few months. That's probably a safe estimate. For some reason the UK sales are always dismal considering the population of London alone... so the UK is probably not as relevant as the US when it comes to sales.

Date: August 7, 2016 07:22

IanBillen
georgelicks

I understand that all too much but waiting six months to release something is not going to rocket sales. IMO it will not even boost sales by a million copies.. there is no way. It is counter productive to continue putting this off. Waiting another 6 months or year is <not> going to dramatically increase the albums sales .. not in this market.. and not for a band in their category.

If they are so concerned about sales.. they shouldn't saturate the market with themselves.. which .. starting from the 50th anniversary ... is what they are starting to do (minus any new real product). Yet they are so reluctant (along with their record company) to release a new album (seriously? Lol Give us a break).

The list is endless in their reissues and retro things over the past five years. Exile on Main Street re-issue.. Sticky fingers Re-Issue.. Some Girls Re-issue ... Grrr ... Stones in Mono ... Stripped Re-issue ... Where does it end? How bout just ...'issuing a new album'? Lol

I know you are simply the messenger and I'd rather have the news than not. I really appreciate your sharing things.. but I simply am pretty fed up with The Stones talking and talking and talking about getting in the studio .. for like four years... Now they are talking and talking and talking about said album .. and really whats the problem? They have no problem releasing / getting out everything else under the sun Lol This is getting ridiculous... (jus sayin)

And I'm "just saying" that you're just saying just to say something and then you have to tell us that you've just said that you've said by saying your "just" saying?

No wonder they don't want to release anything - with fans like you "just saying" they realise it means absolutely nothing because you're "just saying".

Date: August 7, 2016 08:16

GasLightStreet
IanBillen
georgelicks

And I'm "just saying" that you're just saying just to say something and then you have to tell us that you've just said that you've said by saying your "just" saying?

No wonder they don't want to release anything - with fans like you "just saying" they realise it means absolutely nothing because you're "just saying".

Easy .. I was just sayin .. grinning smiley

Date: August 7, 2016 08:16

GasLightStreet
IanBillen
I thank you for the info Georgelicks. We appreciate it very much.

A new RS album isn't going to sell 10 million albums.. I figured the purpose of the new album is as was.... Not to try and sell 15 million albums.

Please make up your mind. Is it 10 or 15 million they shouldn't sell?

Make it 20 ..

Date: August 7, 2016 08:18

As well. I may of said the most about it.. but there are others who are just as pissy as I here about Universal (& The Stones .. I am sure they have some say in it here too being as who they are) and this waiting in an attempt to try and 'time the market' to release the album crap.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-07 08:20 by IanBillen.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 7, 2016 09:04

georgelicks

Thanks Georgelicks.
Sad news...it's all about money.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: August 7, 2016 09:44

Lets face it if it is not a financially viable proposition then Universal will not release a new CD product.
This is pure business logic and one that even the Stones will have to agree with. Especially as poor sales would lead to the Stones being severely criticised by the pop critics as being old past it and almost irrelevent .
Whether or not the Stones have actually written and recorded decent new material we are unlikely to find out as they make loads of money from concert dates which are not linked to new album releases or sales.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: August 7, 2016 09:47

georgelicks

Thanks for the update georgelicks!

My assumption was that the rumored blues album was being pitched as the Stones' version of an American Recordings, Van Lear Rose, or even Great American Songbook: An album built around a simple concept- in this case, the Stones returning to their roots- that would appeal to critics and older demographics during the holiday rush. (It seems likely that a Stones blues album with the added novelty of Clapton guesting would make more than a few critics' year-end wishlists.)

But that was also based on the assumption that everyone involved was well-aware that sales are dismal in general and demand for a new Stones album isn't exactly high. So it's a little surprising to hear they weren't counting on an exclusive retailer deal or lowered projections from the start. At the very least, I would've expected another iTunes-only arrangement like Sticky Fingers Live that could be a modest seller for the band until they're ready to tour again. The idea that anyone would be trying to approach a new Stones album like it's still 1994 or even 2005- which is what this sounds like- is a little baffling.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-07 09:50 by howlingmad.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 7, 2016 09:50

GasLightStreet
latebloomer
georgelicks
24FPS
Screw it. New albums don't matter anymore.

It's a sad fact and not for a new Stones' album alone.

I'm sure they are well aware that a new album won't be a big seller, but it will make noise in the press, give them some new material to tour behind, burnish their legacy, and please their fans...I do think all those things matter very much to them.

Eh, new material to tour behind is really absurd when you consider the BANG tour. Hell, even LICKS seeing that they had four new songs to work with and they only played one.

It seems logical that a percentage that's enough would buy the new album to make it... maybe not worthwhile for the record label so much but for the people that buy it. The Stones just aren't big record sellers - if they sell 2 million copies world wide it's probably called a success, just like VOODOO and BRIDGES were - albeit they actually played songs from those LPs on tour.

With exception to the occasional playing of Doom And Gloom, One More Shot, Out Of Control and the unfortunate You Got Me Rocking, Mick has decided that they are very much like The Beach Boys in operating as a nostalgia machine/greatest hits act since nothing really goes past 1981 for the past, what, basically 4 years.

Maybe it will give them a charge, unlike A BIGGER BANG did, and they approach it like they did in 1994 and 1997 by playing 4-6 songs or whatever they wound up doing from the new LP.

Nonsense. The played a lot of ABB at least on the first leg. Even some of the "obscure" numbers: Rain Fall Down, Infamy, Back Of My Hand.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 7, 2016 10:14

IanBillen

but I simply am pretty fed up with The Stones talking and talking and talking about getting in the studio .. for like four years...

Try being a Jimmy Page fan. winking smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 7, 2016 11:19

am I the only one who think that the "logic" of Universal as told by Georgelicks (thanks for the update) is completely crazy?

Acts on the same category as the Stones (Springsteen, Young, Dylan,...) keep on releasing stuff and not at all just "archive" items though retrospective is surely an issue.

But then, as someone told, that could be exactly the logic of releasing a blues oriented album with cover and original tracks by the stones in 2016...

imo

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: August 7, 2016 12:12

mick is busy making babies & ronnie is busy changing nappies, Keith is busy counting is lemon trees & charlie is resting. New album is joke how long does it take to 12 tracks, been in studio since 2015.THE ALBUM WILL BE CALLED BLUES HAD A BABY.They making more money selling t.shirts why worry about NEW ALBUM.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 7, 2016 12:59

This thread reminds me of a bunch of kids hoping for and fantasising about and even counting on the PlayStation they are going to get for Christmas. I am just waiting for the moment they open op and find a pair of socks.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 7, 2016 13:37

matxil
This thread reminds me of a bunch of kids hoping for and fantasising about and even counting on the PlayStation they are going to get for Christmas. I am just waiting for the moment they open op and find a pair of socks.

Scrooge....thumbs down

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...117118119120121122123124125126127...LastNext
Current Page: 122 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home