Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...130131132133134135136137138139140...LastNext
Current Page: 135 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 31, 2016 23:24

Maindefender
Rokyfan
Woz
I hope BV isn't in hot water for this.....

Why? They are planning shows in Europe next year, so a RS cover story with no new info is what is called free publicity; as the French say, c'est déja pas mal.

To get the cover with no story is weird, that would not happen with the US edition. If I see the Stones in Europe pretty sure would have to do Paris. They are Stones CRAZY!!

I happened to be in the airport in Montpellier France Monday and,of ccourse, bought a copy. It's not that there is no story . . . there is a six page story with a paragraph or two om each song, containing lots of info on the history of the songs and the Stones. The thirty songs are one through thirty chronologically, according to release date or recording(some of them kind of weird . . . e.g., noting the only official release of Key to the Highway being the Stu excerpt in 1985, so it's between Black Limo (Tattoo You) and Fancy Man Blues (recorded in 89). Rooster, from Flashpoint, is next, although they do note that it was originally released in 64 <<as an A side!>>.

Here's a translation by me of No. 28 Back of My Hand (just to pick out a more interesting one):

The last original blues recorded by the Stones . . . before the new album that everyone awaits. Included on the Album A Bigger Bang, it would be the opening title of the 2005 tour (I'm not really sure what that means). On the recording, <<grand première>>, Mick is on the bass. If must be said that Ronnie -- who will soon announce his retirement (???) -- was not in form at that time and that the album was for the most part recorded by the three original members, the indestructible Mick, Keith and Charlie, renewing the hard sound of of Some Girls and approaching in a certain fashion the contemporary sound of the White Stripes or the Black Keys.

Nice pics of the Stones playing with Muddy, Wolf and Clapton also.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 31, 2016 23:30

Ross
GasLightStreet
12 bar blues... it's a loose term, really, because not all "12 bar blues" songs use 12 bars, sometimes it's more or less - within the song.

They included some stinkers in that list and left out some rather good and even great songs.

It's not loose at all, it's mathematics. Certainly the most common blues is the 12-bar I-IV-V progression, but if the song is built on 8-bar progression, it is usually referred to as 8-bar blues. 16 bars, 16-bar blues; etc.

Agree that the list could be better. Hoping the new album will be well represented on a new "Stones Best Blues" list after it's release!

Yes, all true, but we also get the occasional 12 1/2 or 13 bar blues, don't we, at least in the delta?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 1, 2016 00:25

Rokyfan

4 large pictures in total:

The Rolling Stones 1964,
RS w/ Eric Clapton at Steel Wheels Tour 1989,
RS w/ Muddy Waters at Checkerboard Lounge 1981 (plus a mini picture-in-picture),
RS w/ John Lee Hooker at Steel Wheels Tour 1989.

Date: September 1, 2016 03:35

Irix
Rokyfan

4 large pictures in total:

The Rolling Stones 1964,
RS w/ Eric Clapton at Steel Wheels Tour 1989,
RS w/ Muddy Waters at Checkerboard Lounge 1981 (plus a mini picture-in-picture),
RS w/ John Lee Hooker at Steel Wheels Tour 1989.

Duh, thanks for the correction (I was working on my french). And I was at that show.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 3, 2016 04:05

texas fan
Ross
GasLightStreet
12 bar blues... it's a loose term, really, because not all "12 bar blues" songs use 12 bars, sometimes it's more or less - within the song.

They included some stinkers in that list and left out some rather good and even great songs.

It's not loose at all, it's mathematics. Certainly the most common blues is the 12-bar I-IV-V progression, but if the song is built on 8-bar progression, it is usually referred to as 8-bar blues. 16 bars, 16-bar blues; etc.

Agree that the list could be better. Hoping the new album will be well represented on a new "Stones Best Blues" list after it's release!

Yes, all true, but we also get the occasional 12 1/2 or 13 bar blues, don't we, at least in the delta?

Too many numbers. And those old cats, they didn't count, it was by feel. And what's with this I-IV-V shit? Eye EyeVee Vee? Nobody counts using letters.

Those aren't numbers, those are letters.

Did you mean 1-4-5? Because that's what I know... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 3, 2016 15:06

...."honest I do"is not that bad....

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 3, 2016 16:02

GasLightStreet
texas fan
Ross
GasLightStreet

Too many numbers. And those old cats, they didn't count, it was by feel. And what's with this I-IV-V shit? Eye EyeVee Vee? Nobody counts using letters.

Those aren't numbers, those are letters.

Did you mean 1-4-5? Because that's what I know... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry Gas, didn't mean to get too complicated for you! winking smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 3, 2016 19:04

Am I the only one who would prefer, easily, an album of original material any day over a blues covers album? Give me THEIR creativity, start to finish, rather than covers of blues songs, any day. Get THEIR stuff out, THEN put out the blues album if they must. Or put the blues album in with their originals album as the deluxe version.

They are getting on, hell, I am getting on. I want their stuff. Not their versions of someone else's stuff, not at this stage in their career.

Rod

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 3, 2016 19:37

An album of cover-versions of great songs can be better than an album of mediocre originals. They make every song they play their own, so the blues album will be very good at least. Of course I´d like to hear new originals, but it seems they need a little more time to complete it. Give them time, a rush-job would probably be disappointing.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: September 3, 2016 21:34

Well they worked a year for DW. And the result? We both like it but we're the only ones.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 3, 2016 23:02

HMS
An album of cover-versions of great songs can be better than an album of mediocre originals. They make every song they play their own, so the blues album will be very good at least. Of course I´d like to hear new originals, but it seems they need a little more time to complete it. Give them time, a rush-job would probably be disappointing.

Let's just hope they have some old 'covers magic' left.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 3, 2016 23:55

bitusa2012
Am I the only one who would prefer, easily, an album of original material any day over a blues covers album? Give me THEIR creativity, start to finish, rather than covers of blues songs, any day. Get THEIR stuff out, THEN put out the blues album if they must. Or put the blues album in with their originals album as the deluxe version.

They are getting on, hell, I am getting on. I want their stuff. Not their versions of someone else's stuff, not at this stage in their career.

thumbs up

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 4, 2016 00:03

bitusa2012

No .. you are not the only one. I feel the same exact way .. and I've been saying this all along. Absolutely I want a new album ... and absolutely I am let down we didn't get the new album this year... I've even brought up they should save The Blues album or use it as a deluxe down the road a few times as you have ...

Someone mentioned they think it's better, in a sense, in that they are not 'rushing' it ..? Well it has been 11/12 years ... (?) .. they seemed in no rush what-so-ever at getting an album out this year.. lol

Not rushing it is one thing.. however being much more than reluctant to get to a studio while finding time to do <all kinds> of other things like museum events.. and being in the studio to work on re-issues of other albums from 40 years ago is another...

For the folks that are complacent in saying they are satisifed enough with The Sones 'Not rushing it'. Well not rushing it is one thing.. However being lazy studio-wise .. focusing on other things.. and dragging their heels is another. I'd say we have certainly had the latter .. and then some...>> The fact that we have had no studio album in 11 or 12 years (and what? .. only 2 F**G studio albums is 20 plus years...) sort of says it all .. doesn't it...? Lol

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-04 03:04 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 4, 2016 03:06

HMS

Looking forward to the blues album.
As for an album of originals, they can take forever as far as I'm concerned if it will help make it listenable.
At this late point in time, no need to rush out something inferior again. Quality songwriting and production should be their main goal - if it's not ready then it's not ready.
In the meantime Mick's personal life has become the #1 priority (and rightfully so), hence only three upcoming US live shows and possibly one of the main reasons behind the new album being delayed.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: September 4, 2016 03:21

I would rather have the covers album at this point. It will be more interesting to me.

Their last few albums of originals have been rather weak. It will also be a throwback to their early years when they were more of the blues/rock band. It is doubtful they will recapture the magic at this point and there is less pressure to write good songs.

I would also prefer more Vault releases or Super Deluxe Editions at this point than a new album of originals.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-04 03:27 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 4, 2016 07:21

First preference: Mick and Keith sit down and write new songs, the band gets into playing them, they bring in a few great musicians for color and inspiration. Unlikely, but one can dream.
Second preference: An album of covers -- c/w, blues, gospel, etc. The Stones are not really a blues band.
Third: Blues but with some really good musicians brought in. That's the point of a blue album, right? These are basic songs, so you need a great guitarist.
Not really interested in vault releases or remixes.
Where are we hearing that Mick's personal life is a priority? I don't think that's ever been so.
But with Keith's age and health issues, I would imagine his family might want him to spend as much time with them as possible. Or doing these BBC-type, nostalgia projects.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 4, 2016 09:43

They are still able to do great original blues (The Storm, Might as well get juiced, Back of my hand...).
So i don't understand the choice of a blues covers album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-04 10:46 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 4, 2016 13:03

BV states the Blues album is "the second in a series of projects". They seem to be building momentum for the new material. Hopefully we'll find out this fall it will most likely be next year and Mick and Keith have been working on it.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 4, 2016 13:19

bitusa2012

No, you're not the only one with mixed emotions (sorry) about the blues album. However, I am not very hopeful about upcoming Stones albums with original material either.
I think Keith was wrong, 2 or 3 decades ago, to be so upset about Mick's solo efforts. For the last 30 years, they and us would have been better off if both Mick and Keith would have concentrated on what they really want to do, instead of these forced collaborations between two people who no longer share the same wavelength as much as they used to.
I don't like any of Mick's solo output but if he wanted to make this (and more of it) he should have stuck to that. I love Keith's solo work (not everything of it is great, but there are some true gems among it and even the lesser stuff has merit) and I think it's a great pity he didn't make more of it and didn't tour more behind it. Or even - in the case of Crosseyed Heart - not toured on it at all.

Date: September 4, 2016 14:16

matxil
For the last 30 years, they and us would have been better off if both Mick and Keith would have concentrated on what they really want to do, instead of these forced collaborations between two people who no longer share the same wavelength as much as they used to.

The did what they really wanted to do - they made big money.

I dont think of their last couple of albums as forced collaborations, they´re decent but overlong albums and better than what they did solo.

I think Mick and Keith drifted personally apart a long long long time ago. But I also believe that nevertheless they can give us a couple of very good songs, so why not go on. I am more curious about the Blues album than an album of originals. The new album will be more or less the same as ABB was. The usual recipe, mixing trademark RS-licks, Funk, Reggae, a cheesy Mick-ballad and a dusty Keith-ballad, What else can they do? They´ve done this ever since the mid 70s.

The blues album at least is something rather unusual and unexpected.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: September 4, 2016 23:24

bitusa2012

My thoughts exactly, throw in the blues covers album with a new album with original material.

Date: September 4, 2016 23:40

Rokyfan
If must be said that Ronnie -- who will soon announce his retirement (???) -- was not in form at that time and that the album was for the most part recorded by the three original members, the indestructible Mick, Keith and Charlie, renewing the hard sound of of Some Girls and approaching in a certain fashion the contemporary sound of the White Stripes or the Black Keys.

What´s thatconfused smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 5, 2016 09:18

Oh quit yer bitchin'. At least we didn't get a live album of their crummy duets from the 2013 tour.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 5, 2016 10:05

HMS
Rokyfan

If must be said that Ronnie -- who will soon announce his retirement (???) -- was not in form at that time and that the album was for the most part recorded by the three original members, the indestructible Mick, Keith and Charlie, renewing the hard sound of of Some Girls and approaching in a certain fashion the contemporary sound of the White Stripes or the Black Keys.

Hopefully not the new text-quality of the Rolling Stone ....

Date: September 5, 2016 13:53

Could be «retraite», as in «in the background» – aka he announced that he didn't have a dominant role in these recordings?

Date: September 5, 2016 14:42

What it really seems to mean is that by his reduced role in these recordings he announced his subsequent retirement, except it obviously didn't happen, and I don't recall any retirement announcements (maybe speculation in the tabloids). Also, is that really he first time Mick played bass on a Stones record? I think maybe the fact checking on these things is not always the best.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2016 14:55

At least we didn't get a live album of their crummy duets from the 2013 tour.

YEAH that's a true ... the mere thought of that one use ta make me cower ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 5, 2016 15:48

HMS
Rokyfan

It even translates to "Ronnie who's now announced his retirement" ! RS France has always been complete garbage with literally ZERO fact checking. Worse than that it shows that this was written by a guy who's completely clueless.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2016 18:12

HMS
matxil
For the last 30 years, they and us would have been better off if both Mick and Keith would have concentrated on what they really want to do, instead of these forced collaborations between two people who no longer share the same wavelength as much as they used to.

The did what they really wanted to do - they made big money.

I dont think of their last couple of albums as forced collaborations, they´re decent but overlong albums and better than what they did solo.

I think Mick and Keith drifted personally apart a long long long time ago. But I also believe that nevertheless they can give us a couple of very good songs, so why not go on. I am more curious about the Blues album than an album of originals. The new album will be more or less the same as ABB was. The usual recipe, mixing trademark RS-licks, Funk, Reggae, a cheesy Mick-ballad and a dusty Keith-ballad, What else can they do? They´ve done this ever since the mid 70s.

The blues album at least is something rather unusual and unexpected.

Keep thinking. True Stones fans know Mick and Keith "drifted personally apart".

There are no cheesy Mick ballads on BLACK AND BLUE, SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU, UNDERCOVER or STEEL WHEELS.

There are on VOODOO (New Faces), BRIDGES (the two) and BANG (Streets Of Love) though. So, no, not since the mid-70s.

Date: September 5, 2016 18:33

I agree, no cheesy ballad on Undercoversmiling bouncing smiley

Well, I said it more than once before, Mick once did great ballads but by the time he went solo his ballads turn cheesy. Steel Wheels and Some Girls did not see him doing any cheesy ballads, because there aren´t any ballads. Black And Blue got he awful Fool To Cry though...

All of his ballads on VL, B2B, ABB aren´t worth listening. His solo ballads more or less the same, except Evening Gown & Hang On To Me Tonight. EG is great, HOTMT acceptable. The ballads on Goddess are boring uninspired routine, very disappointing. Party Doll is ruined by arrangement and production. His last great ballad with the Stones was Memory Motel.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...130131132133134135136137138139140...LastNext
Current Page: 135 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home