Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 147
Re: Keith Richards: New Rolling Stones Record Coming Next Year
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 18, 2015 08:58

Hairball
Bashlets
Don't get your hopes up high. Bernard has to say the new material is amazing. I hope he is right

Agreed.
Imagine if he said 'it sucks' - he'd be pursuing a solo career right about now...
Hahahahahahasmileys with beer
jeroen

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 18, 2015 11:52

Turner68
question: what is our opinion of bernard's taste in music and ability to judge which stones' music is amazing or not.

pro: he is a good singer
con: he said that the music got better after wyman left.

thoughts?

He´s right. Absolutely. The last album with Wyman on bass - Steel Wheels - was a huge disappointment. VL, B2B & ABB were much better. Not to mention the marvelous concerts they did after his departure.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 18, 2015 12:04

Not thanks to Darryl's bass playing surely? Besides Bill's barely present on SW as he was "busy" with other stuff...

"He said the stuff that has been written has been co written by the Glimmers,and it's amazing stuff!"

Might be "amazing" alright, although one could argue that the fact we're getting a new album with "Jagger/Richards" material at this point in time is "amazing" in itself, but the "co-written" part is slightly less credible as that hasn't happened since when? Barbados 1993, well apart from the "fairy dust" Keith claims to have added to the ABB material like "Let Me Down Slow". Show must go on...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 18, 2015 12:08

gotdablouse
Not thanks to Darryl's bass playing surely? Besides Bill's barely present on SW as he was "busy" with other stuff...

"He said the stuff that has been written has been co written by the Glimmers,and it's amazing stuff!"

Might be "amazing" alright, although one could argue that the fact we're getting a new album with "Jagger/Richards" material at this point in time is "amazing" in itself, but the "co-written" part is slightly less credible as that hasn't happened since when? Barbados 1993, well apart from the "fairy dust" Keith claims to have added to the ABB material like "Let Me Down Slow". Show must go on...

Let's hear it first smiling smiley

Date: December 18, 2015 12:44

If it´s as good as ABB it would be amazing indeed. ABB is their best album since Dirty Work, a pleasure to listen to. I hope the arrangements on the new album will be as stripped down as on ABB, we do not need trumpets, a dozen guest musicians and backing vocalists, all we need is four Stones plus Darryl plus Chuck. I hope it will rock like hell, who needs ballads. I want riffs and loud guitars.

In fact, the absence of Wyman led to better music, maybe because the Glimmers wanted to prove that there is a life after Wyman. And they did.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 18, 2015 13:00

HMS

I hope it will rock like hell, who needs ballads. I want riffs and loud guitars.

That'll be on the next AC/DC album .... winking smiley

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 13:21

gotdablouse

If the music after SW was better, it had nothing to do with Darryl's bass playing.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 18, 2015 13:53

Rollin92
gotdablouse

If the music after SW was better, it had nothing to do with Darryl's bass playing.
thumbs up

Date: December 18, 2015 14:25

It´s probably not so much the bass playing, rather the inspiration of having a new player in the team. Remember how boring GHS and IORR were and then they sounded so much fresher on SG. Having Ronnie in the band was like opening the windows that were locked for years and let the fresh breeze in. Maybe the same kind of thing happened when Darryl arrrived. The following tours with Darryl on bass were also much better than the Steel-Wheels-tour, all this cannot be coincidental.

Btw, I dont like SG very much, it is very overrated, but I have to admit that they sounded fresh again after a period of boring stagnation (maybe due to Mick Taylor being so very unfitting). After replacing haughty and boring MT they seemed to be getting younger, the spark was alive again. So there are two good things that happened to the Stones, the departure of MT and the departure of Wyman. Even the Mick/Keith-feud in the mid-80s was no disadvantage, the negative energy and the tensions inspired them and they created the masterful rough and edgy Dirty-Work-album. Their new found friendship in 1989 only led to one of their weakest and boring albums (Steel Wheels).

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 18, 2015 14:44

Well, i dont find SW boring. The production is weak, but i like the songs.
Jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 18, 2015 15:31

HMS
If it´s as good as ABB it would be amazing indeed. ABB is their best album since Dirty Work, a pleasure to listen to. I hope the arrangements on the new album will be as stripped down as on ABB, we do not need trumpets, a dozen guest musicians and backing vocalists, all we need is four Stones plus Darryl plus Chuck.

You noticed how that one turned out: it sold terribly and they ignored it on the tour. It was easily better than DIRTY WORK but then anything is. STEEL WHEELS is like EXILE ON MAIN STREET when compared to DIRTY WORK. Even Stevie Wonder can see that.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 16:25

HMS
It´s probably not so much the bass playing, rather the inspiration of having a new player in the team. Remember how boring GHS and IORR were and then they sounded so much fresher on SG. Having Ronnie in the band was like opening the windows that were locked for years and let the fresh breeze in. Maybe the same kind of thing happened when Darryl arrrived. The following tours with Darryl on bass were also much better than the Steel-Wheels-tour, all this cannot be coincidental.

Btw, I dont like SG very much, it is very overrated, but I have to admit that they sounded fresh again after a period of boring stagnation (maybe due to Mick Taylor being so very unfitting). After replacing haughty and boring MT they seemed to be getting younger, the spark was alive again. So there are two good things that happened to the Stones, the departure of MT and the departure of Wyman. Even the Mick/Keith-feud in the mid-80s was no disadvantage, the negative energy and the tensions inspired them and they created the masterful rough and edgy Dirty-Work-album. Their new found friendship in 1989 only led to one of their weakest and boring albums (Steel Wheels).

The Stones are adaptable and always rise to new challenges, that is to their credit and Darryl has stepped admirably up to the plate.

No matter how many bass solos he does on Miss You, and no matter how many times Mick and Keith make him out to be god incarnate, the fact still stands that a key part of the vintage Stones sound, that we all love, went with Bill.

That's not saying Bill should be back because it wouldn't work now, they have adapted since then. That's not even saying that those 90s albums would have been better with Bill, but to say that the new adaptation of the Stones equals the sound and creativity of the old is being too generous.

The 90s albums are good but that's all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-18 16:29 by Rollin92.

Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Date: December 18, 2015 17:41

...produced by?!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:07

Rollin92
HMS

The Stones are adaptable and always rise to new challenges, that is to their credit and Darryl has stepped admirably up to the plate.

No matter how many bass solos he does on Miss You, and no matter how many times Mick and Keith make him out to be god incarnate, the fact still stands that a key part of the vintage Stones sound, that we all love, went with Bill.

That's not saying Bill should be back because it wouldn't work now, they have adapted since then. That's not even saying that those 90s albums would have been better with Bill, but to say that the new adaptation of the Stones equals the sound and creativity of the old is being too generous.

The 90s albums are good but that's all.

But if we (or Bernard) is talking about the Stones sound being better strictly from a LIVE standpoint, he/we would be completely wrong
Bills bass playing is sorely missed no matter how one looks at it - be it live or studio imo.

Date: December 18, 2015 18:10

If it´s gonna be a straight forward rock album without too much outside musicians, without attempts to sound "contemporary", without electronics and studio gimmicks, there is in fact no need for a producer, imo. They can do it themselves without someone who would only make a good thing bad (or a bad thing worse). Don´t be tricky just plug the guitars in and push the record button.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:16

corriecas
Hairball
Bashlets
Don't get your hopes up high. Bernard has to say the new material is amazing. I hope he is right

Agreed.
Imagine if he said 'it sucks' - he'd be pursuing a solo career right about now...
Hahahahahahasmileys with beer
jeroen

You're right hairball but perhaps this is the problem with the Stones since 1972, they are surrounded by people who tell them that whatever they do it is "amazing".

can you imagine the corrosive impact of your employees and studio musicians listening to you play an early demo of "blinded by love", "winning ugly" or "don't stop" and then telling you "it's amazing"? marianne faithful, brian jones, and jimmy miller would have laughed in their faces if they'd tried to foist songs like this on the unsuspecting ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-18 18:17 by Turner68.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:17

HMS
If it´s gonna be a straight forward rock album without too much outside musicians, without attempts to sound "contemporary", without electronics and studio gimmicks, there is in fact no need for a producer, imo. They can do it themselves without someone who would only make a good thing bad (or a bad thing worse). Don´t be tricky just plug the guitars in and push the record button.

If you throw in a few different styles of music (country, soul, blues, et al) sounds like you're talking about the successful recipe that Keith used for Crosseyed Heart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-18 18:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:19

Nate
My source is the best you can get.

It's obvious where I got this information from when I say my source is the best you can get.

The Rolling Stones are in the studio making a new album.

Nate

Told ya

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:24

Nate
Nate

It's obvious where I got this information from when I say my source is the best you can get.

Nate

Told ya

Nate thumbs up

I think we know by now . .

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:25

Nate
Nate

Nate

Told ya

Nate thumbs up

Was ringo your source?

Date: December 18, 2015 18:38

thumbs up...for Nate and Stargroover.
Thanks guys!

Date: December 18, 2015 18:39

Turner68
can you imagine the corrosive impact of your employees and studio musicians listening to you play an early demo of "blinded by love", "winning ugly" or "don't stop" and then telling you "it's amazing"? marianne faithful, brian jones, and jimmy miller would have laughed in their faces if they'd tried to foist songs like this on the unsuspecting ears.

Winning Ugly IS amazing.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 18, 2015 18:52

KRiffhard
thumbs up...for Nate and Stargroover.
Thanks guys!

You're welcome

Let's all look forward to the new album.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 18, 2015 19:06

HMS

That worked ok for the two songs they slapped together for Grrrrrr but if they do it again for 15 songs (if only they stopped at 10...) it's going to be ABB all over again, uninspired playing, Mick on bass, Ronnie's "solo" on SOL, Keith's "solo" on DB, etc...On the other hand B2B had tons of outside musicians who added more than "fairy dust" and it has stayed "fresher" even 18 years down the line. Benmont Tench's keyboards, Waddy's guitars, M'Shell's bass, etc...The Stones can afford anyone they want!

What kills me is that each time they release a new album it's rushed out after cramming in as much work as they can in as little time as possible instead of recording over time and letting the songs and instrumental parts mature or improve. If only they had started working on Mick's demos 3 years ago with a little bit of work here and there...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-18 19:07 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 18, 2015 19:24

I really hope it's not going to be like ABB. I'd much much rather have another Voodoo Lounge or Bridges. I am aware I'm in the minority here, but I love both albums and hardly ever listen to ABB.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: December 18, 2015 19:36

Lorenz
I really hope it's not going to be like ABB. I'd much much rather have another Voodoo Lounge or Bridges. I am aware I'm in the minority here, but I love both albums and hardly ever listen to ABB.

Agree. I can't stand the way ABB is mixed...and even though I like a couple of songs, I never listen to it.
Much prefer Bridges and Voodoo.

Date: December 18, 2015 19:49

corriecas
Well, i dont find SW boring. The production is weak, but i like the songs.
Jeroen

+1

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 18, 2015 20:08

MisterDDDD
Bashlets
To a bloke he met at a taxi office at 4AM??
Nah...There, if it wasn't amazing he would likely say more like "it's going well" etc.

The fact that he chose "amazing" and spoke of the collaboration is significant.

Isn't it just because he knows it will end up on the internet? I'm sure he chooses his words carefully and will make sure he only speaks in superlatives when it comes to Stones projects.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 18, 2015 20:12

I have confidence in great songs. I'm only hoping that this time, it is not crushed or brickwalled. And that the music has a good dynamic range. So can listen to the music, without distortion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-18 20:20 by barbabang.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 18, 2015 21:19

ChefGuevara
Lorenz

Agree. I can't stand the way ABB is mixed...and even though I like a couple of songs, I never listen to it.
Much prefer Bridges and Voodoo.

There are only a handful of Stones songs I listen to post-Wyman. You Got Me Rocking, Love is Strong, The Worst, You Don't Have to Mean It, Rough Justice and Doom and Gloom. And these Vault Series releases continue to show how good Wyman was. The Stones are so clueless about the importance of bass that they let Mick play on ABB. Yes, they've put on some great concerts post-Wyman, but the bass is missing. There's a meandering, non-emotional noodling going on, but nothing worth picking out with your ears. Too bad everybody's egos, including Bill's, can't allow a situation where they let him play on a couple cuts. In that sense the best Stones cuts of the last few years have been the bonus cuts with Bill on them. Can anyone honestly say they can't wait for the new album to hear what Darryl created?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2201
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home