Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: Track Talk: Till The Next Goodbye
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 18, 2017 17:16

The acoustic guitar sounds great. A lot of early to mid 1970s albums have some of the best acoustic guitar recordings. Gordon Lightfoot, Willis Alan Ramsey, The Rolling Stones.

IYRWTBMF is another great sounding song - and a great song.

Date: April 18, 2017 17:16

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

Is Taylor using an octave pedal or has he simply tuned down in the beginning of the riff in the middle there, btw?

You mean the intro riff?

No, the intro-riff is Keith. I mean when they start the funky riff in the middle of the song. Darryl played it on bass when they played it live in 2002, but it didn't sound quite the same. I'm pretty sure it's Taylor starting it (before Keith's starts playing his bit).

Sorry, I meant the intro melody. In the middle it sounds like the stings tuned down, and a bit of fuzz or distortion.

Yep, that's it. He might have tuned down.

It sounds cool anyhow thumbs up

Date: April 18, 2017 17:18

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I love just about everything about If You Can't Rock Me, but sorry, the drums sounds like knit pins on cardboard boxes recorded in a room full of other noises. His playing is dynamite, but not his sound - at least not to this listener's ears smiling smiley

Is Taylor using an octave pedal or has he simply tuned down in the beginning of the riff in the middle there, btw?

Jimmy Miller had a lot to do with all of those albums sounding great so without him there was a big drop off until a proper replacement was found. Glyn Johns mixed "Fingerprint File" and Keith Harwood did the rest. I'd have to properly listen, but Sticky Fingers blows away much of what came after it.

I think it's an octave down pedal during the middle and outro. I believe Taylor had the Colorsound Octivider.

If so the original guitar input is turned down to almost zero.

Date: April 18, 2017 17:19

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I love just about everything about If You Can't Rock Me, but sorry, the drums sounds like knit pins on cardboard boxes recorded in a room full of other noises. His playing is dynamite, but not his sound - at least not to this listener's ears smiling smiley

Jimmy Miller had a lot to do with all of those albums sounding great so without him there was a big drop off until a proper replacement was found. Glyn Johns mixed "Fingerprint File" and Keith Harwood did the rest. I'd have to properly listen, but Sticky Fingers blows away much of what came after it.

I think it's an octave down pedal during the middle and outro. I believe Taylor had the Colorsound Octivider.

If so the original guitar input is turned down to almost zero.

That's what I thought, too.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 18, 2017 18:51

There is a different mix (sounds relatively unmixed) on YouTube and it features some Taylor parts during the call and response that must have been pulled out. Sounds like he stepped on his pedal and the effect was gone. Right before the solo. This must have been a song that was pretty much done and Taylor came in and overdubbed his guitar, which sounds like a Strat.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 19, 2017 11:34

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

No, the intro-riff is Keith. I mean when they start the funky riff in the middle of the song. Darryl played it on bass when they played it live in 2002, but it didn't sound quite the same. I'm pretty sure it's Taylor starting it (before Keith's starts playing his bit).

Sorry, I meant the intro melody. In the middle it sounds like the stings tuned down, and a bit of fuzz or distortion.

There is only one rhythm guitar, which is the open G guitar by Keith. The other channel is Billy Preston on the clavinet. Taylor is playing the lead fills, which are overdubbed.

There is a fantastic sounding outtake version, which is clear and not muffled like the official version. It starts with Jagger saying 'let's try to make it regular'.

Mathijs

Date: April 19, 2017 11:38

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

There is only one rhythm guitar, which is the open G guitar by Keith. The other channel is Billy Preston on the clavinet. Taylor is playing the lead fills, which are overdubbed.

There is a fantastic sounding outtake version, which is clear and not muffled like the official version. It starts with Jagger saying 'let's try to make it regular'.

Mathijs

I know, but we're talking about the intro melody (dark, single-strings) prior to Keith's riff in the middle of the song. That's a guitar, not Preston.

Date: April 19, 2017 14:19

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

Mathijs

I know, but we're talking about the intro melody (dark, single-strings) prior to Keith's riff in the middle of the song. That's a guitar, not Preston.

That's a fuzz bass.

Mathijs

Date: April 19, 2017 16:43

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

Mathijs

That's a fuzz bass.

Mathijs

Possible, more logical, but up for debate. The tension of the strings sound 'unnaturally' low hence the bending at the end of the riff.
On Under my thumb Bill's fuzz bass sounds more natural bass guitar. Maybe it is described in the Rolling Stones's books somewhere or the internet.

Date: April 19, 2017 16:53

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

Mathijs

That's a fuzz bass.

Mathijs

Possible, more logical, but up for debate. The tension of the strings sound 'unnaturally' low hence the bending at the end of the riff.
On Under my thumb Bill's fuzz bass sounds more natural bass guitar. Maybe it is described in the Rolling Stones's books somewhere or the internet.

Also, the way it was played doesn't really sound like Bill. Then again, it could be Taylor playing a fuzz bass smiling smiley

Still, I'm not sure if that's correct...

Date: April 19, 2017 20:29

I think it's an octave-down played by Taylor. Especially since it's never heard during his lead parts.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 20, 2017 10:44

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

Mathijs

That's a fuzz bass.

Mathijs

Also, the way it was played doesn't really sound like Bill. Then again, it could be Taylor playing a fuzz bass smiling smiley

To be more precise then: That's Keith on a Fender Jazz bass through the EMS Synthi Hi-Fli on the fuzz setting.

Mathijs

Date: April 20, 2017 10:49

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

Mathijs

That's a fuzz bass.

Mathijs

To be more precise then: That's Keith on a Fender Jazz bass through the EMS Synthi Hi-Fli on the fuzz setting.

Mathijs

He used the Hi-Fly on more songs than TWFNO? OK, thanks smiling smiley

You probably have a pic of Keith playing the Fender bass through the Hi-Fly somewhere, or have you seen it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 10:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 20, 2017 17:27

I love this entire part:

I can't go on like this, can you? Can you?
I can't go on like this, can you?
You give me a cure all from New Orleans
Now that's a recipe I sure do need
Some cider vinegar and some elderberry wine
May cure all your ills, but it can't cure mine
Your Louisiana recipes have let me down
Your Louisiana recipes have surely let me down

From the slide sound after "can you, can you?", reminiscent of Free Bird, to the cure-all of New Orleans ... cider vinegar & elderberry wine.

It's great. Who uses Elderberry Wine in a song? I remember one other, I had an Elton John 7" as a kid, probably Croc Rock or Saturday Night's All Right... and it had a b-side called Elderberry Wine.

Date: April 20, 2017 21:07

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

Mathijs

That's a fuzz bass.

Mathijs

Mathijs

You probably have a pic of Keith playing the Fender bass through the Hi-Fly somewhere, or have you seen it?

I forgot about that device. Taylor said he brought it to the studio for the sessions he was on and recalled using it on Time Waits for No One. The timbre and the way it's played does sound like a bass, so I think Mathijs may be right on this one. Although, I think it's a toss-up between who played it. Remember, wasn't this the album where Glyn Johns said Taylor was going overdub crazy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 21:10 by TravelinMan.

Date: April 20, 2017 22:23

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

Mathijs

That's a fuzz bass.

Mathijs

Mathijs

I forgot about that device. Taylor said he brought it to the studio for the sessions he was on and recalled using it on Time Waits for No One. The timbre and the way it's played does sound like a bass, so I think Mathijs may be right on this one. Although, I think it's a toss-up between who played it. Remember, wasn't this the album where Glyn Johns said Taylor was going overdub crazy?

Keith used it on TWFNO.

Date: April 20, 2017 22:47

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

Mathijs

That's a fuzz bass.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Keith used it on TWFNO.

They both did.

[www.rocknrollfreaks.com]

Date: April 20, 2017 23:04

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

Mathijs

That's a fuzz bass.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Keith used it on TWFNO.

They both did.

[www.rocknrollfreaks.com]

Thanks. I thought Taylor used different effects for that song.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 21, 2017 00:03

They all went into the cosmic universal wisdom stratosphere dimension only accessed by very few on earth for the recording of
'Time Waits for No-one'

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 21, 2017 23:52

Turner68
When they started dishing out this dreck, it was pretty clear that it was the beginning of the end for the band.

The lyrics are the stuff of adolescent poetry and the arrangement is plodding.

worse than angie or memory motel (the ballads on IORR's sister albums)

i would pay money to never have to listen to it again.

thumbs down

Fantastic song. One of their best

Date: April 22, 2017 23:46

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

You mean the intro riff?

Mathijs

In the middle part that track is up front, and solo-ed out, but that Bass comes back in. As the song builds at the end. By 2:50 that bass is back in. What I had never really paid attention to is that the bass riff, as is, slides right in under the chorus chords.
Later on it is obvious that it is a Bass IMO. Maybe in middle part it's all f/x signal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-23 00:02 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 24, 2017 11:55

potus43
Turner68
When they started dishing out this dreck, it was pretty clear that it was the beginning of the end for the band.

The lyrics are the stuff of adolescent poetry and the arrangement is plodding.

worse than angie or memory motel (the ballads on IORR's sister albums)

i would pay money to never have to listen to it again.

thumbs down

Fantastic song. One of their best

In a sense I agree.

On this song Mick reminds me of a cosmically depressed neo-romantic bisexual of my acquaintance who used to get beat up a lot (I grew up in a rough neighborhood).

Brilliantly awful song...which I imagine is what Mick set out to write. Just not sure why...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 24, 2017 13:06

The girl) was real (laughs), she was real.

................................ Mick Jagger 1978

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 11, 2018 05:55

StonesCat
Not a huge, huge fan but after seeing it (IIRC) in the Sweet Summer Sun close, I appreciated it more. Got a glimmer at the rehearsals last year, would have been interesting.

*what does this mean??
I love this song, I cannot find a live version anywhere ever... the recorded track is a masterpiece —

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 11, 2018 08:20

One of the best ballads ever, both music and lyrics (they have some literary quality, even).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-11 08:22 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: August 11, 2018 08:42

I wish one day they'll play this song live!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 11, 2018 12:15

To me this is pretty much filler. Of course, I love hearing the sound of early 70s Stones, especially those crisp acoustic guitars, but there's very little inspiration in the track, just a malnourished cousin of YCAGWW or WH.

Also, 35 love, I think that StonesCat is referring to the regular studio version of the song played of the closing credits of SSS (although I haven't actually seen that film, just recall someone mentioning it)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2018 12:19

Yeah but it's ….. 5 Star filler ……… or maybe ya should meet a secret lover in a back street café ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 11, 2018 12:21

Come On
A really nice song that I have Always liked...

yepthumbs up
me too; still enjoying it. i think it has soul.
be a little too easy to critique a few of the lyric choices
but it's sort of nit picking, for me anyway; as I like the movement
flow and soul kinda slow groove thing they do; they are doing it here
as far as I can tell and I really like it.

imo it could be fairly said that this is real good Stones take
on that country blues thing that translates into soul music for me
when it lopes along the right lazy but reliable beat.
a good one i like a lot. i got off just seeing the threat title frankly,
as that one, tho i don't think of it when i make my fantasy lists, to be
honest. That could change; i'm gonna give it a spin now.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-11 12:28 by hopkins.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 11, 2018 20:20

MT plays the fills after first chorus on the e and b strings at 10th and 9th and
8th to 7th and 7th and 5th and ends on third fret.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home