Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: Track Talk: Till The Next Goodbye
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 25, 2015 08:41

JMARKO
bitusa2012
Nice enough track I guess. But like the rest of the album, has all awful dull sound to it. There is just no snap to the record, production wise, just too sterile and muted.

GOD yes!

This album sounds like it was recorded under a blanket! Can never get any SOUND out of it. I can't believe this is so rarely pointed out.

What on earth causes this album to sound so muffled/flat?
I would seriously like a technical explanation if anyone can offer help.

It is probably the album most in need of a SUBSTANTIAL, RADICAL remastering.

Is there actually a version that sounds 'crisp' or 'defined'?
I am convinced this album would have a much better reputation if the quality of sound were better.

As soon as the drums on "If You Can't Rock Me" kick in I am frustrated. Probably the instrument that suffers the most from WHATEVER the engineers were doing (or not!) in Munich.

J

Jimmy Miller?

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 25, 2015 10:47

JMARKO
SharksWillCry

Yeah, the production is horrible on IORR. It sounds like they muffled everything with that netting they were wearing on the Goat's Head Soup pictures.

Good: Bridges to Babylon

It's of course hard to separate the confounders. Whether or not you like the material is the big one.....I don't know what to think of A Bigger Bang; it's like, disqualified from study because of these confounders.

On the three points I have quoted:

1. YES! Brilliant analogy. Very "gauzy" sounding.

2. Also totally agree - the production on BTB is outstanding. Highlighted even more on the vinyl. And I mean the sounds on the album. It's not as singular sounding as Some Girls, for instance - most of that record sounds the same, the tracks vary since so many producers had a hand in them, but it thoroughly works.

3. Fraboni gave me a copy of Bigger Bang that had been re-done with his BobCat. Much more listenable, but, in my opinion, there is so much extra/mediocre material on that album it's hard to rescue it completely. Or even allow it to be evaluated without bias.

J

Why suddenly for god´s sake IORR is a dull album???
Through years and years here discussing our XXX off around 1 Million issues around our band it never ever occurred.
En Contraire: 10.000 different posts praising the songs - TWFNO! - for example.
I think it is typical IORR-"After Tour Depression"smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 25, 2015 17:54

I love the gauzy haze of IORR. GHS is a smoky haze, IORR a gauzy haze.

Great haze.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 25, 2015 23:06

thumbs up Haze, very good Gas Light Street. And Black n blue is the crisp but soar morning on the plane leaving the Islands (GHS and IORR).

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 25, 2015 23:24

Redhotcarpet
thumbs up Haze, very good Gas Light Street. And Black n blue is the crisp but soar morning on the plane leaving the Islands (GHS and IORR).

Not to my ears. The haze didn't lift until Some Girls.

Olly.

Date: July 25, 2015 23:59

Olly
Redhotcarpet

Welcome to Stones-Land: Millions of inhabitants. Each one so different. But in the end all living in this one special country: Stones-Land.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 26, 2015 00:12

caschimann

Welcome to Stones-Land: Millions of inhabitants. Each one so different. But in the end all living in this one special country: Stones-Land.

And it is all the better for those differences, in my opinion.

Olly.

Date: July 26, 2015 00:13

Olly
caschimann

And it is all the better for those differences, in my opinion.

yep!thumbs up

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 05:45

Come On
If there is a 'filler' on IORR-album, that would be 'Short and Curlies'....

IORR is the most filling of all stones albums until "Emotional Rescue".

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 18, 2015 14:25

In retrospect GHS, IORR, and B&B albums apparently suffer from not having the impact of big 4 previous albums (BB, LIB, SF, EOMS) and the big one after (Some Girls). They never became classics (though you can make an argument that the song IORR is a classic)

Yet they all sold well, and have enough good songs in each to make them interesting listening experiences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 14:25 by nightskyman.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 16, 2017 22:12

video: [www.youtube.com]

Early take. Fanfreakingtastic. I love this number. Sorry if you all find it cheesy, I think it's one of their best.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2017 22:34

Nice enough tune - Micks vocals are good, the harmonies are great, but the lyrics are not the best. Maybe Carly Simon is to blame?
Had it not been released on IORR, it might have fit well on side two of Tattoo You alongside Ain't No Use in Crying.

Date: April 16, 2017 23:08

The note choice of the slide sure does sound like Taylor to me.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 16, 2017 23:10

I love this song. Something about the tone or pitch of the guitars that is hypnotic. Maybe the lyrics aren't priceless, but the vocal is terrific. Jagger's singing peaked during these three albums -- GHS, IORR and B&B.
Agree the sound of the album is a bit strange -- drums seem very low in the mix. Now the next album -- B&B -- is one of their best sounding albums.

Date: April 16, 2017 23:26

TravelinMan
The note choice of the slide sure does sound like Taylor to me.

Just at some parts, but I still think it's Richards. There just doesn't seem to be enough sustain.

Date: April 16, 2017 23:33

On that alternate take above, I hear two acoustic rhythm guitars panned wide (I'm guessing Richards left and Taylor right), a slide on the left (Richards), and an acoustic overdub in the center right that plays some tasty licks over the first chorus (Taylor). Those licks seem to blend in with the guitar on the right later into the song. Also, I feel like Taylor definitely wrote the music to the bridge and that's why I thought the slide sounded like Taylor's note selection; that bridge is straight out of his songbook. I love the lyrics about the elderberry wine and Louisiana recipes. In fact, I'm drinking wine right now listening to it!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 16, 2017 23:33

I love this quirky song. Yup I do. I love the crackle on the vinyl just as the acoustic comes lilting in. A bit like the intro Torn and Frayed. Yet, more swampy, and you start to feel that Spanish Moss tickling the back of my brain. Mick just drawls out his lyrics with some a long nasal cockney Toussant flare. Lovely, acted, and funny. Strange lyrics of some swamp mamma's ju ju for some hard knocking and sweating. Yet a plaintive plea to keep the dance going through time. Lovely song with some lovely backing vocals. The acoustics weave in and out really pulling on the heart strings. And all around this song hangs some decay and deccadance.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 17, 2017 01:01

Olly
Redhotcarpet

And what a chewing on tin foil bright sound SOME GIRLS has.

GHS-IORR-BAB have a nice haze to them - not too bright but bright enough. They sound great played loud. SOME GIRLS... not so much.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 17, 2017 02:05

'I can't go on like this, can ya?
I can't go on like this, can ya?'

Another Stones gem I've worn like a coat.
We need new RS!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 17, 2017 02:09

latebloomer
Love it, and always think of it now when I am walking the streets of NYC. It's not a stand-out Stones ballad, but says something about where they were at that time, Mick especially. Lyrically, I think it's just Mick in one of his wistful moods. A bit like Moonlight Mile in that regard, but less powerful. Still, this line kills me...

I can't go on like this, can ya, can ya? I can't go on like this, can ya?

Ha! Great minds think alike grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 17, 2017 02:15

....LD

ROCKMAN

Date: April 17, 2017 11:19

I love the lyrics.

"...some cider vinegar and some Eldeberry wine, can cure all your ills, they can't cure mine - your Louisiana recipes let me down.."
I love that.

I confess - I had never realized until this outtake that there are two acoustics. And I think it is Keith in slide.

edit I see that someone else pretty much posted everything I just said

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-17 11:20 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 17, 2017 11:34

IORR is almost the worst album ever IMHO with a lot of cheesy ballads. The best track of the sessions (Drift Away) was ommitted in favour of the weaker Ain’t Too Proud To Beg. B&B is much better in any way, but too short.

Date: April 17, 2017 12:04

Monsoon Ragoon
IORR is almost the worst album ever IMHO with a lot of cheesy ballads. The best track of the sessions (Drift Away) was ommitted in favour of the weaker Ain’t Too Proud To Beg. B&B is much better in any way, but too short.

Is BAB shorter than IORR?

Date: April 17, 2017 12:05

A nice tune, but a bit too predictable, isn't it?

Good playing. Love Taylor's licks and Keith's slide.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 17, 2017 12:19

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

Is BAB shorter than IORR?

41/48 min.

Date: April 17, 2017 13:25

41 minutes is perfect for an album, imo.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 17, 2017 13:53

DandelionPowderman
41 minutes is perfect for an album, imo.

thumbs up times 41...smiling smiley

Date: April 17, 2017 17:16

DandelionPowderman
A nice tune, but a bit too predictable, isn't it?

Good playing. Love Taylor's licks and Keith's slide.

No. The bridge comes out of nowhere.

Date: April 17, 2017 17:20

Monsoon Ragoon

Thanks for specifically coming to a thread about an awesome song to trash it. This is why I don't visit this site very often. BTW, Black and Blue is a horrible, disjointed album.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home