Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Track Talk: Till The Next Goodbye
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 20, 2015 20:10

latebloomer
kleermaker
latebloomer
Love it, and always think of it now when I am walking the streets of NYC. It's not a stand-out Stones ballad, but says something about where they were at that time, Mick especially. Lyrically, I think it's just Mick in one of his wistful moods. A bit like Moonlight Mile in that regard, but less powerful. Still, this line kills me...

I can't go on like this, can ya, can ya? I can't go on like this, can ya?

Bloomer, sorry for my reply, but you made me laugh again! Well, I know, I can't go on like this. cool smiley

To my taste this kind of ballad is really corny, just like Memory Motel ("She got a mind of her own and use it mighty fine" My goodness!).

Laugh away Kleerie...it is kinda silly taken in isolation, I agree. I should know better than to post before I've had my morning dose of caffeinated reality.
Maybe the song is corny, but so what? You could say it's corny, you could also say it's romantic..and here I thought you knew the difference. winking smiley

In either case, I don't count it as Mick's best work lyrically, but like MM, it has a sweet, pensive vibe to it. Now, back to reality, unless you want to come and clean out my basement for me. grinning smiley

Bloomer, you don't want to know how extremely romantic I am, but this song (just like the wrong MM from B&B ) isn't romantic at all. It's old virgin aunts sentimentality.

Here's a truly romantic line about basement cleaning: "Ain't to proud to beg sweet darlin', please allow me to clean your basement room, with only my bare hands and a rusty spoon".

Btw: gimme your address and I'll be around before you can say "Can ya?" smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-20 20:14 by kleermaker.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 20, 2015 20:52

Definitely up there with my favorite Stones slower tracks. Top notch!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 20, 2015 21:54

kleermaker
To my taste this kind of ballad is really corny, just like Memory Motel ("She got a mind of her own and use it mighty fine" My goodness!).

Agree about MM being really corny, but not TTNG. To paraphrase Jules Winnfield, it ain't the same @#$%&' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same @#$%&' sport. smoking smiley

Drew

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 22:26

drewmaster
kleermaker

Agree about MM being really corny, but not TTNG. To paraphrase Jules Winnfield, it ain't the same @#$%&' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same @#$%&' sport. smoking smiley

Drew

the only reason both songs are not completely forgotten by time is that the stone recorded them and they are useful documents of the band's disintegration as a creative songwriting force.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 20, 2015 23:29

Silver Dagger
Witness
Too late now, Silver Dagger, afterwards to quote your post on a smartphone:

Consult the thread, where the opening post tried to introduce a discussion of the 'filler' concept. In a post in that thread, stonehearted indicated most adequately that the first album would have one intended filler. By motive, I then agreed that "Now I've Got a Witness" so far, formally, may be seen as a filler. However, with a view to its good effect, I disagreed on the whole.

Even with the greatest artists there is filler as well as killer. And of course let's not forget the killer diller. >grinning smiley<

I have to ask you then, Silver Dagger: What is a "filler" / 'filler' in your understanding?

The two songs that annoy me the most, are "Melody" and "Tops". In your use of concepts, should I then condemn those two songs as "fillers"? Then there are a couple of songs that I probably think are weaker, but annoy me less. Does that fact make them "fillers" to me in your use of the language?

Added in this edit: And if I was not outspoken enough, I myself do not use the language that way. To do that, is in my outlook cheap and lazy language.

A second much later edit: One misplaced "?" cleared away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-21 04:04 by Witness.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:50

Beautiful, just like Memory Motel. How come people don't like it?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:54

Oh no I love it. Mick crooning at his romantic best, lyrics are fun to sing with, piano, guitars, yeah man, it's a good one!

And no, I don't automatically like ALL the romantic ones (honestly don't like Angie one bit)

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:57

'Drink to it'

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:04

Love the gentleness of it all it ... Romantic...
And the fairer sex usually swoon to it ...

As Mr Wolf said ... Da men don't know but da lil' gals understand

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:46

have to say it's one of their worst ever, sappy and souless.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:49

One of my favourite Stones songs.
Emotional, beautiful
Jeroen

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:58

LuxuryStones

because there is nothing fresh, new, creative, or poignant about it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 21, 2015 03:44

Turner68
LuxuryStones

because there is nothing fresh, new, creative, or poignant about it.

This was 1974. Of course this was something fresh and new at the time. You sound like the song just came out. Creative? Yes the bridge had some chord changes never done in a Stones bridge. Minor to minor to major to major. Your post doesn't make sense.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 03:55

Love it

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: July 21, 2015 04:07

Corny, but still strangely beautiful. To me, anyways.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: July 21, 2015 06:41

TravelinMan
Excellent song! "your Louisiana recipes have surely let me down"

Agreed. Love the song. And that line.

Maybe it's corny. Maybe not.
Many, many times I have looked at my wife and thought, "She surely looks a treat."

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 09:42

Posted before on this forum on another Goodbye thread:

From the book JAGGER: REBEL, ROCK STAR, RAMBLER, ROGUE by Marc Spitz:

CARLY SIMON: "We wrote a song together that became a song on the Stones' next album called TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE. I thought that that was going to be a joint venture, but I'd never heard from Mick about how he'd like me to share the royalties. It's the very least I can do to thank Mick for turning what could of been an ordinary record [YOU'RE SO VAIN on which Mick sang backing vocals] into an iconic huge song for me over the years—so, my god, let him take all of my songs and say that he wrote them."

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 21, 2015 10:02

I truly understand how it's possible to forget such a detail after a meeting with this lady

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 21, 2015 10:14

Witness
Silver Dagger
Witness
Too late now, Silver Dagger, afterwards to quote your post on a smartphone:

Consult the thread, where the opening post tried to introduce a discussion of the 'filler' concept. In a post in that thread, stonehearted indicated most adequately that the first album would have one intended filler. By motive, I then agreed that "Now I've Got a Witness" so far, formally, may be seen as a filler. However, with a view to its good effect, I disagreed on the whole.

Even with the greatest artists there is filler as well as killer. And of course let's not forget the killer diller. >grinning smiley<

I have to ask you then, Silver Dagger: What is a "filler" / 'filler' in your understanding?

The two songs that annoy me the most, are "Melody" and "Tops". In your use of concepts, should I then condemn those two songs as "fillers"? Then there are a couple of songs that I probably think are weaker, but annoy me less. Does that fact make them "fillers" to me in your use of the language?

Added in this edit: And if I was not outspoken enough, I myself do not use the language that way. To do that, is in my outlook cheap and lazy language.

A second much later edit: One misplaced "?" cleared away.

Filler is anything which to your own ears is below standard songwriting. You've mentioned two which you consider to be filler. That is what filler is. I'm just saying that not everything that the Stones put out was up to their own high standards.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 21, 2015 10:54

I was interested in this thread as this is a song that has totally changed for me over the years. I used to consider it a bit of a filler and on vinyl many times skipped straight to Time Waits For No-one but now I love it...it's a classy love song and I do believe the lyrics are intended to be rather "light" and reading the above may even be Carly Simon's lyrics? Maybe it's me ageing but I never skip it now and I enjoy Taylor's guitar before the next song his "Tour De Force"

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 21, 2015 15:24

Title5Take1
Posted before on this forum on another Goodbye thread:

From the book JAGGER: REBEL, ROCK STAR, RAMBLER, ROGUE by Marc Spitz:

CARLY SIMON: "We wrote a song together that became a song on the Stones' next album called TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE. I thought that that was going to be a joint venture, but I'd never heard from Mick about how he'd like me to share the royalties. It's the very least I can do to thank Mick for turning what could of been an ordinary record [YOU'RE SO VAIN on which Mick sang backing vocals] into an iconic huge song for me over the years—so, my god, let him take all of my songs and say that he wrote them."

Come to think of it the song does sound a bit like one of Carly Simon's.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 21, 2015 16:08

Like most of IORR and Goat Head's Soup, it's "alright" but boring and if I would never hear the song again, I wouldn't miss it either.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 21, 2015 16:54

Yes, most GHS/IORR-songs are boring, most of all the ones on which Taylor stretches out. I think I never listened to IORR or GHS without falling asleep after 15 minutes. I do not dare to put the CD´s in my discman and go for a walk, because I am afraid of falling down on the streets... also never listened to it while driving a car. Always wondered how the former (and later) exciting Stones managed it to record two albums in a row that taste like a month old chewing gum.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 21, 2015 19:05

If you've been in a meaningful relationship with someone on and off, you get it. I love the lyrics.

Date: July 21, 2015 19:45

Silver Dagger
Filler is anything which to your own ears is below standard songwriting.

Not really. Filler is generally a tune which would be considered a hurry-up piece, created with the purpose of 'filling' up the space needed to release a complete album.

For example, to me, the last several minutes of Going Home, on Aftermath, was included just to add space to the album -- I know some will disagree, but that's how i always saw that. Or possibly a song like Short & Curlies (which I actually quite like, but I think it was there to make 10 tracks, which was generally considered the minimum for an album at that time).

So a track like Till the Next Goodbye, you can tell they put time and effort into it, it is hardly a 'filler' track by any definition. You can hate a track, so if you do, you say it sucks, but to say it is filler is not really accurate, not in this case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-21 19:47 by LeonidP.

Date: July 21, 2015 19:49

TravelinMan
If you've been in a meaningful relationship with someone on and off, you get it. I love the lyrics.

Same here, I think it's great overall, lyrics, music, everything. As for being 'corny' ... you can't really write a love song that isn't corny.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 21, 2015 22:35

runaway
It is reminiscent of earlier workings and may have originated from previous sessions, for instance "Exile". Till the Next Goodbye sounds like country or a ballad but it's still sounds Stonesy to me!

Fingerprint File is the Last track Mick Taylor involved "IORR".

I have heard "till the next time" was the last track Taylor worked on. As I
recall this was from a Taylor interview. Anyway I love the song. Some really
great tracks on that album! "Luxury" is another often overlooked gem.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:07

swimtothemoon
runaway
It is reminiscent of earlier workings and may have originated from previous sessions, for instance "Exile". Till the Next Goodbye sounds like country or a ballad but it's still sounds Stonesy to me!

Fingerprint File is the Last track Mick Taylor involved "IORR".

I have heard "till the next time" was the last track Taylor worked on. As I
recall this was from a Taylor interview. Anyway I love the song. Some really
great tracks on that album! "Luxury" is another often overlooked gem.

Maybe "Till The Next Goodbye" was the last track they worked on in the studio, and yes some really great tracks for sure on that album thumbs up.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:32

I love this song and I love the album iorr. Sleazy 70s Jagger. I love that Jagger. The best Jagger there ever was.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:41

Just listened to the whole album the other day, the Virgin remastered version, driving around. Also listened to GHS and Black and Blue. That whole era, at least until the triumph of Some Girls, was seen as kind of a trough after the powerhouse years. But listening to them now, they're all really quite good, it's just we were waiting for something on the level of Exile or Sticky Fingers.

GHS is quite powerful if you look at it as almost a wistful hangover after achieving world wide fame. It's hard to listen to, in that something strange was going with them at the time. The album is inconsistenly recorded, and not of the greatest quality.

Till The Next Goodbye ain't bad. If this was Mick Taylors swan song, he didn't add much.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1245
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home