Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13
Rolling Stones set to play Knebworth this summer?
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:41

[www.mirror.co.uk]

The legendary Rolling Stones are planning a huge return to Knebworth this summer.

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood are set to play the massive venue and hope they can repeat their iconic 1976 gig.

Some 39 years ago the rockers played a 28-song set to more than 120,000 people with some fans saying it was their best ever.

According to the Sun the rockers are in talks to come back to Knebworth but want to avoid clashing with summer festivals.

Apparently Mick, Keith and Ronnie are up for doing the gig, but it's drummer Charlie who needs persuading.

A band source said: "Their last gig of the summer is July 15 in Quebec, so it gives them around a month or so before Knebworth to fine-tune everything.

"The band want to make sure they don’t clash with the bigger UK festivals so the most likely date they are throwing out there is August 15 — the Saturday before the V Festival.

"Nothing is a done deal yet. But if they pull it off it’ll be a huge gig."

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 16:40 by bv.

Re: Knebworth again?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:48

wow, that would be amazing......hope the old oak on the right (famous landmark) is still there......................

Cheers Deltics........

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:57

and then they can tour uk and come to the O2 grinning smiley

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:58

OMG smileys with beergrinning smileysmoking smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smileyhot smiley

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:00

It would be great, but they need to come up with a new 28-song set including a lot of rarities, otherwise it will feel wrong.

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:04

That would be great. Maybe with the same setlist as 1976 winking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:08

Brilliant - it'll give me a chance to try and find a bit of my mis-spent youth I lost there over 24 hours back in 76. Plu it's just over the hills from where I live now.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:13

Interesting....a nice outdoor show in Blighty. I know the tree you talk of Eddie, there were guys high up in it for Zeppelin in 79, they must have had a hell of a view from up there and I kept checking over to see if any fell out throughout the show! I'd imagine, in these days of elfen safety they will be ways of preventing such activities!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:18

crumbling_mice
Interesting....a nice outdoor show in Blighty. I know the tree you talk of Eddie, there were guys high up in it for Zeppelin in 79, they must have had a hell of a view from up there and I kept checking over to see if any fell out throughout the show! I'd imagine, in these days of elfen safety they will be ways of preventing such activities!

I was about 30 yards to the left of it, on a little slope, I didn't even know the New Barbs existed until they came on and I said "oh, these are good, I wonder who they are (too oiled to see that well) and somebody then explained............brilliant weekend, I saw Ian Dury & the Blockheads at the Hammersmith Odeon the next night too.........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 17:20 by EddieByword.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 31, 2015 17:48

I was across the other side of the bowl about level with the tree...I was greatly anticipating The New Barbarians (see my story in the Support acts thread) A great day out...wish I had seen Ian Dury the following night in London Town, but alas, the next day was spent trying to get out of Stevenage!

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:47

If this is true I'll cream my jeans!! Mint!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:50

crumbling_mice

Me and some other not so tall guys were up in a tree at Roskilde. Great place to watch the concert and it had the Knebworth feel too, since they appeared on that very same stage from 1976

Date: May 31, 2015 20:31

If they play Knebworth I hope they drop Doom and Gloom. They have already played it 5 times and the audience does not seem very enthusiastic about itsmoking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 31, 2015 20:37

Wouldn't it make more sense to do it next year? In fact I wonder if that's not what's under discussion,
and the reporters just got it muddled up.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:30

I'm in and ready, willing and able to camp out overnight for a spot upfront. I did exactly that for Hyde Park 1 2 years ago. Hope this happens. it sounds feasible. There is a recent precedent: don't forget that Glasto and the 2 Hyde Park shows were tacked onto the end of a 20 odd date US & Canada arena tour.

I'm sure a good few European IORRians will hop over - I know many did 2 years ago. I hardly met any fellow Brits in the early queueing for both shows!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:24

desertblues68
If they play Knebworth I hope they drop Doom and Gloom. They have already played it 5 times and the audience does not seem very enthusiastic about itsmoking smiley

One More Shotsmileys with beer

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 1, 2015 09:19

flairville
If this is true I'll cream my jeans!! Mint!

grinning smiley thumbs up

Yup, I was there in 1976, and if they choose to do it again in 2015 ... I'll be there then !! hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 1, 2015 09:21

with sssoul
Wouldn't it make more sense to do it next year? In fact I wonder if that's not what's under discussion,
and the reporters just got it muddled up.

Good point ......... 1976 to 2015 in only 39 years, why not leave it a year and make it a round 40 ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 09:24

I see it more possible next year

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 1, 2015 09:37

I really wish they wouldnt do Knebworth. It has a very cool and special (hot) place in the heart of many fans. Knebworth is all about the 1976 version of the band.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 1, 2015 09:43

Date: June 1, 2015 09:44

Redhotcarpet
I really wish they wouldnt do Knebworth. It has a very cool and special (hot) place in the heart of many fans. Knebworth is all about the 1976 version of the band.

It didn't stop them from doing Hyde Park! On 44th anniversary too, not a notable anniversary either!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 1, 2015 10:11

This would be very cool especially for the UK fans. If my memory is correct this
was the longest stones show on record - at least in terms of the number of songs.
Wish Eagle Rock would release the 76 show! 40th anniversary next year...

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: June 1, 2015 12:52

I'm not that bothered about the anniversary, playing this summer after 39 years is just fine with me! Eagle Rock get '76 released too!

Date: June 1, 2015 14:24

The 39 year anniversary will do for me. Will be there dancing. None of my mates like the Stones, but I am working on it. A friend of mine and I went to see the Counterfeit Stones for a laugh and she loved it, so kind of getting there. I am trying to convince her to shell out the money for the real magnificent thingsmileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 14:46 by desertblues68.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 1, 2015 15:24

Could be one of a few London and U.K. dates before final leg of the 2012-2016 'A bit here and a bit there' Tour, finishing in South America.

Will have to wait and see I guess. smiling smiley

Date: June 1, 2015 15:32

Considering that all 4 core band members are born and bred Londoners, I cannot see them finishing anywhere else.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 1, 2015 15:33

Is Knebworth a regular kind of festival with camping, several stages and headliners, one-day tickets and stuff?
Or is it more like Hyde Park, where the headliner IS the festival?

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 15:47

Would be nice to go back again.

Great memories of knebworth and such lovely hot weather.

they mention 120,000 i am sure it was near 250,000 and a record crowd for that day.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 1, 2015 15:47

Done a google search and no Knebworth Festival in 2015.

If it does come off, will probably be a similar day out like the Hyde Park gigs.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home