Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: Rolling Stones set to play Knebworth this summer?
Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 13, 2015 16:07

Can just see the hotel prices going up because of all of us! grinning smiley Stevenage hotels are probably wondering why so many people are all suddenly booking for that date...

Still don't want to get my hopes up too much (I was so set on making it to North America for the tour - really thought I'd be able to do it, but then things happened and I couldn't go) - but really really hope it happens!

Be great meeting up with so many other IORReans too! smiling smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 13, 2015 18:08

Niek
grzegorz67
I've booked 1 night in the Hotel 'Under the Stars'. £0 a night winking smiley

Did the same for Hyde Park 1 (but not 2)

It is so much nicer to sleep under stars.
Like to bring my VWT3 but don't dare to drive on left side of the road.
Hope the weather is the same as Hyde Park!

It really is. Not that I get much sleep after shows.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: June 13, 2015 23:03

Booked two rooms in Luton airport Hotel!!

Crazy: The hotel is totally booked out August 15/16 within the last 3 hours.

All hotels around Knebworth have a enormous number of requests in the last two days. Most of them are already complete for this potential daysmiling smiley

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 14, 2015 00:22

You people are ridiculous.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 14, 2015 00:29

I wonder if this thread is entirely responsible for the spike in hotel bookings in the Stevenage and Knebworth area. I too, have my fingers firmly crossed for a gig but it is getting s little silly. As long as those who've booked hotels can cancel without loss then fine. I'm booking nothing until confirmed.

Ah well, 11,000+ hits, 7 pages and no outright dismissal from Bjornulf as yet...

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 14, 2015 01:34

If we all book every available room in the area for this date then this country fair that's supposed to be on will have to reshedule and the date will be open for the stones to come play.

Nate >grinning smiley<

Date: June 14, 2015 01:46

Bastion

And your point is? You've been repeating yourself over and over. I don't get it.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 14, 2015 03:54

Nate
If we all book every available room in the area for this date then this country fair that's supposed to be on will have to reshedule and the date will be open for the stones to come play.

Nate >grinning smiley<

You need to explain the logic there.

It's a COUNTY show - therefore the vast majority of the exhibitors (and attendees) live locally and don't need accommodation.

A farmer showing his prize livestock does not book in to a hotel in Stevenage!

Re: Knebworth again?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 14, 2015 04:53

Deltics
It would also appear that the Knebworth Country Show is happening on the weekend (August 15-16) proposed for the gig.

Set in the beautiful Park at Knebworth House this Family Country Show is now in its 5th year. All day entertainment includes The Sheep Show, ferret racing, birds of prey, working dogs, children’s entertainment with Devilstick Peat plus Circus Skills Workshop, Knights of Honour medieval village & as well as arts, crafts, gifts and food marquees.

[www.knebworthhouse.com]

I don't see this gig happening this year. sad smiley

I agree, at least not on that weekend.........those farmers prepare all year for those shows, if they get pushed aside with less than 2 months notice, well, they've got long memories and Knebworth Park would probably lose them for generations.........

Knebworth park might gain in the short term, but maybe not by the time they get sued for breach of contract with the farmers, even if they did they'd be out in the cold after that because there's plenty of other estates and farms that would put a county show on for years to come.........(if they've got half a business brain they'll know this would be a crass move..............I think that's why the lady quoted is suggesting 'maybe next year on the 40th anniversary'.............but I guess we'll see.........maybe the 22nd.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-14 15:12 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 14, 2015 15:09

CaptainCorella
Nate

Nate >grinning smiley<

You need to explain the logic there.

It's a COUNTY show - therefore the vast majority of the exhibitors (and attendees) live locally and don't need accommodation.

A farmer showing his prize livestock does not book in to a hotel in Stevenage!

Sometimes people say things in jest.

Nate thumbs up

Date: June 14, 2015 18:57

Rocks Off and Shidoobee both have their own threads on the story. They are already selling tickets for this country show it seems.

Date: June 14, 2015 18:59

Shidoobees at the Country Fair? I figured they'd be mostly splattered all over Manhattan.

Date: June 14, 2015 19:26

Bastion

Yes, Sir we are!!! smiling smileysmiling smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 14, 2015 19:38

Nikkei
Shidoobees at the Country Fair? I figured they'd be mostly splattered all over Manhattan.

Nope, a lot of Shidoobs are European & Brits just as many IORRians are North Americans.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 14, 2015 20:00

grzegorz67
Rocks Off and Shidoobee both have their own threads on the story. They are already selling tickets for this country show it seems.

Tickets have been on sale for some months now, these things take some time to organise. They probably started making plans for it last year.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 14, 2015 20:31

Deltics, you make a very valid point about not upsetting farmers for fear of losing repeat business. I'd imagine the organising of the Country Show began after last year's ended. Still, we are long, long overdue a large scale Stones gig in their home country, be that the same venue on a different weekend or a different venue altogether. Said Farmers may not take kindly to being bumped for the Stones and it would not be hard to find an alternative venue. However, the family who own Knebworth are said to be asset rich (land!) but relatively cash poor and are always keen to host events. They've tried to sell the place to the National Trust several times but to no avail.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 14, 2015 20:39

Desperate question to those that know Knebworth, is there enough space to host the County Fair and the Stones at the same time?cool smiley

Date: June 14, 2015 23:45

First of all: Don´t take it all too serious here - it´just a nice rumor in this state of time. But yes I booked rooms in Luton, can cancel it until August 14.
Makes fun.And is clever too: Because being a fan since 4 decades I know it always cab be truesmiling smiley

Date: June 14, 2015 23:50

desertblues68
Desperate question to those that know Knebworth, is there enough space to host the County Fair and the Stones at the same time?cool smiley

YES. Country Show will be at "Knebworth House", Stones will play at "Knebworth Concert Park". Both on two different spots on that gigantic Knebworth Park Area.

Have a look: Knebworth Park Map

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 15, 2015 00:29

caschimann
desertblues68

YES. Country Show will be at "Knebworth House", Stones will play at "Knebworth Concert Park". Both on two different spots on that gigantic Knebworth Park Area.

Have a look: Knebworth Park Map

UNLIKELY.

Undeniably a Stones show with (guess) 100,000 will be disruptive on the whole area. It would totally demolish any nearby County Show on the same site. If this is what happens and the Knebworth people think that they can get away with doing the two at the same time at different ends of the site, then they need their brains examined.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 15, 2015 00:32

or as a german chancellor once said: "If he has visions, he should consult his doctor."

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 15, 2015 00:41

grzegorz67
Deltics, you make a very valid point about not upsetting farmers for fear of losing repeat business. I'd imagine the organising of the Country Show began after last year's ended. Still, we are long, long overdue a large scale Stones gig in their home country, be that the same venue on a different weekend or a different venue altogether. Said Farmers may not take kindly to being bumped for the Stones and it would not be hard to find an alternative venue. However, the family who own Knebworth are said to be asset rich (land!) but relatively cash poor and are always keen to host events. They've tried to sell the place to the National Trust several times but to no avail.

It's not just farmers, there will be loads of stall holders selling everything from burgers to leather goods who will have booked and paid for their pitches many months in advance plus all of the other attractions as mentioned on the Knebworth website:

All day entertainment includes The Sheep Show, ferret racing, birds of prey, working dogs, children’s entertainment with Devilstick Peat plus Circus Skills Workshop, Knights of Honour medieval village & as well as arts, crafts, gifts and food marquees.
Also on Sunday at this event, we’re pleased to host a Companion Dog Show. Bring along a canine friend and have a go! £1 entry per class. (All proceeds from dog show entries will go to Marie Curie Cancer Care).
Tickets include entrance to Knebworth Gardens and Dinosaur Trail, Park and Adventure Playground. Plenty of free parking.

[www.knebworthhouse.com]

This whole venture is a huge logistical undertaking and, as I have said, would have been months in the planning. It would be impossible to arrange another venue at such short notice.
The owners of Knebworth Park may well be strapped for cash but they also have to live with the local population who I imagine would not take very kindly to this event being moved elsewhere or even cancelled.
Not forgetting all of the people, not just locally but nationwide, who have already bought tickets for it.

desertblues68

Whether there's enough space for both events to take place at the same time is neither here nor there. Getting into and out of the venue is.
I live very near to Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire which hosts a similar annual event and the roads leading to and from it are always heaving on the weekend of the fair.
I would imagine that Hertfordshire police might have something to say about both events happening at the same time!

corriecas
Ofcourse, the managing director wont say anything. Its in her written contract, not to speak about a certain show from the stones, by the band !!!

I know this is so, because the Pinkpop boss, has claimed the same thing, when the stones played there last year. he was not allowed to mention ANYTHING about the band playing.

jeroen

The difference being that Pinkpop, like Reading or Glastonbury, and unlike the rumoured Knebworth concert, is a long established annual event so adding an extra name to the bill wouldn't have caused any major logistical or organisational difficulties.
The Sonisphere festivals that have taken place at Knebworth have always featured predominantly Heavy Metal bands and isn't happening this year anyway.
I suspect that the reason why the managing director of Lytton Enterprises / Knebworth Estates, Ms. Lytton-Cobbold, couldn't make any comment was because she genuinely knew nothing about the rumoured gig!

Here's the diary of upcoming events at Knebworth this year:
[www.knebworthhouse.com]

Having been the person who started this thread, although I'm sure that someone else would have done so eventually, it gives me no pleasure whatsoever to pour cold water on this rumour but I think that if the Stones are going to be playing a concert at Knebworth this year it most certainly won't be on August 15th.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 01:19 by Deltics.

Date: June 15, 2015 00:47

desertblues68

Date: June 15, 2015 01:27

EddieByword
desertblues68

I can" t stop laughing. This is brilliant!>grinning smiley<

Date: June 15, 2015 01:30

desertblues68
EddieByword
desertblues68

I can" t stop laughing. This is brilliant!>grinning smiley<

grinning smiley .. smileys with beer

Date: June 15, 2015 02:32

Can someone Photoshop the Stones' lips and tongue onto that Cow ? Perhaps they could use it as their official gig poster winking smiley

Date: June 15, 2015 02:41

There definitely should be a Stones merchandise stall at the County Fair as so many of us fans have booked rooms or hope to be in the area on that daygrinning smiley

Date: June 15, 2015 02:46

desertblues68
There definitely should be a Stones merchandise stall at the County Fair as so many of us fans have booked rooms or hope to be in the area on that daygrinning smiley

An excellent idea smiling smiley. Why don't we all go in our tongue T-shirts anyway, Stones gig or not spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

7 pages now and what twists and turns this thread has taken smiling bouncing smiley

Date: June 15, 2015 15:25

This gig needs a setlist. I'll start:

You gotta mooooooooooo >grinning smiley<

I'll get my coat....

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 15, 2015 15:37

You Gotta Mooooooo
Neigh-bours

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home