Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13
Re: Rolling Stones set to play Knebworth this summer?
Posted by: ricky70 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 11:35

sorry but the festival at Knebworth in 2009 was organized by Sonisphere, I do not know if in just under two months some invents a festival organizer, if the Stones play at Knebworth or somewhere else, well this can be ... someone in London has some information better? Tell us

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: June 11, 2015 15:02

Nate
a bigger nut
Nate
I am sure that Stevenage is ok and perfectly safe for a night or two in a hotel,but if you were to travel to England from abroad to see the Stones at Knebworth then it would be much better and a lot more interesting to stay in London and the concert could easily be reached on the day from London by a short train ride and taxi.

Nate thumbs up

Maybe I have very very slim chance to go to UK in August.
But are there any ways to go back to London by public transportations after the concert
I am always staying around Kings Cross/St.Pancras in London.

I just checked online for you and the last train from Stevenage to Kings cross on a Saturday night leaves at midnight and takes about 40 minutes to arrive to Kings cross.

The problem that you may have is getting out of the concert and getting a taxi to Stevenage railway station as the area will be very busy if the concert is on.

Nate thumbs up

Thanks.
So, it seems not easy...

How the most of londoners go to Knebworth ?
By their own car ??

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 15:56

There are a fair few posters on here who were at the original show in 1976, in a much bigger crowd than is likely to be set this time (if it happens). Secondary Market Basher Extraordinaire PaulyWaul (and I support his rants btw) for one. Perhaps you can enlighten us ? I know some even slept at Stevenage Railway Station until the 1st train to London the next morning.

The site is right next to the A1 (M) motorway but not easily accessible from it as far as I remember, though if anyone knows the area better please correct me. If travelling from outside the UK, as Nate says Stevenage will be fine and safe enough for a night or 2. With the weight of the traffic, it would probably be easier to walk back to Stevenage than get a taxi!

If hiring a car or travelling from within the UK and you're not bothered about having a drink, there are plenty of parking spots in the country roads around it and temporary pay car parks too. Traffic afterwards is slow and patience will be needed!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 11, 2015 16:20

grzegorz67
There are a fair few posters on here who were at the original show in 1976, in a much bigger crowd than is likely to be set this time (if it happens). Secondary Market Basher Extraordinaire PaulyWaul (and I support his rants btw) for one. Perhaps you can enlighten us ? I know some even slept at Stevenage Railway Station until the 1st train to London the next morning.

The site is right next to the A1 (M) motorway but not easily accessible from it as far as I remember, though if anyone knows the area better please correct me. If travelling from outside the UK, as Nate says Stevenage will be fine and safe enough for a night or 2. With the weight of the traffic, it would probably be easier to walk back to Stevenage than get a taxi!

If hiring a car or travelling from within the UK and you're not bothered about having a drink, there are plenty of parking spots in the country roads around it and temporary pay car parks too. Traffic afterwards is slow and patience will be needed!

In '76 (and other times) I walked to and from the train station in Stevenage - about 1 and half miles, max. (half an hour........
There's huge camp site which basically turns into a small village for a couple of nights - You can also park in there if you come by car or in Stevenage.

In '76 - no hassle off anyone including the police...they were happy too saying on TV that they usually get more trouble on a regular Saturday night in Stevenage than they had with us - getting to and going around Stevenage & Knebworth is literally a walk in the park.

Of course there's normal 'crush' getting out but if you hang back awhile it soon eases..........

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 17:11

From what i remember from 76 its not a far walk from the stations, we went by coach.

I remember sleeping on the top of a motorway enbankment and getting our food soaked by petrol or some sort of oil by one of those trafficl petrol lamps that we nicked for some light.
Then running down the embankment and spraining my ankle, which was a good start for the day.
for the last hour of the concert managed to get in fifty yards of the stage and saw the magic of the stones there and then.

I am not sure if we actually slept in the park that same night.Couldent see that happaning now thou.

Date: June 11, 2015 17:28

Indeed not. A good few of us tried to sleep at the main entrance before Hyde Park 1, 2 years ago but the Police asked us to leave before letting us back in at 4am. Anyonw know a Dutch guy known as 'Voodoo Head' as he has an outfit that mimcs Mick's Voodoo Lounge Costume worn for SFTD and wears a big black hat covered in badges ? He was one of them winking smiley After that, the queue built up steadily. Fun times cool smiley

odean73
From what i remember from 76 its not a far walk from the stations, we went by coach.

I remember sleeping on the top of a motorway enbankment and getting our food soaked by petrol or some sort of oil by one of those trafficl petrol lamps that we nicked for some light.
Then running down the embankment and spraining my ankle, which was a good start for the day.
for the last hour of the concert managed to get in fifty yards of the stage and saw the magic of the stones there and then.

I am not sure if we actually slept in the park that same night.Couldent see that happaning now thou.[/[/b]quote]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-11 17:40 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 11, 2015 17:30

a bigger nut
Nate
a bigger nut
Nate
I am sure that Stevenage is ok and perfectly safe for a night or two in a hotel,but if you were to travel to England from abroad to see the Stones at Knebworth then it would be much better and a lot more interesting to stay in London and the concert could easily be reached on the day from London by a short train ride and taxi.

Nate thumbs up

But are there any ways to go back to London by public transportations after the concert

I just checked online for you and the last train from Stevenage to Kings cross on a Saturday night leaves at midnight and takes about 40 minutes to arrive to Kings cross.

The problem that you may have is getting out of the concert and getting a taxi to Stevenage railway station as the area will be very busy if the concert is on.

Nate thumbs up

Thanks.
So, it seems not easy...

By their own car ??

You could hire a car and drive from London in about one hour or if you went on the train then you would most likely be able to make the last train back to London at midnight as I would think the concert would finish no later than 10.30pm

I hope this concert happens and I hope you can make it.

Nate thumbs up

Date: June 11, 2015 17:30

odean73

I am not sure if we actually slept in the park that same night.Couldent see that happaning now thou.

I'm not sure what the situation is now either but for the '70s shows there was a huge campsite and parking up by the roundabout....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-11 17:31 by EddieByword.

Date: June 11, 2015 20:21

EddieByword
odean73

I'm not sure what the situation is now either but for the '70s shows there was a huge campsite and parking up by the roundabout....

Trust me to miss the huge campsite.>grinning smiley<

Too much H & S rules now and too much red tape/insurance.

I did think there would be more reaction to this potential concert.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 11, 2015 20:44

Dreamer
stonehearted
<<"The band want to make sure they don’t clash with the bigger UK festivals...">>

Well what is that supposed to mean? How does their presence at one festival cause problems for other festivals? You mean if a large number of people see them at Knebworth, fans'll be too shadoobied to take in any more festivals that summer?

<<Apparently Mick, Keith and Ronnie are up for doing the gig, but it's drummer Charlie who needs persuading.>>

Now why would this be? What happened to the guy who once said simply, "I play the drums for Mick and Keith?" and "Well, it's work, innit?" and who once complained about "five years working, twenty years hanging around"? It seems he now prefers the hanging around part to working.

Charlie Watts, the coolest most unenthusiastic man in rock.

He's still very enthusiastic about "playing drums for Mick and Keith". drinking smiley
He's just not much of an outdoor drummer.

OK, Dreamer, I'll take your word for it, as you have the closer eye view. smoking smiley

I had heard that about his dislike for outdoor shows, what with the way the wind can make his cymbals unsteady.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 21:17

I can't believe I have booked accommodation for a gig that has not been announced. All my friends think that I am crazygrinning smiley

Date: June 11, 2015 21:21

desertblues68
I can't believe I have booked accommodation for a gig that has not been announced. All my friends think that I am crazygrinning smiley

When the gig is announced and your friends can't book any rooms because they've sold out your friends will think you are a genius.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 21:29

Nate
desertblues68

When the gig is announced and your friends can't book any rooms because they've sold out your friends will think you are a genius.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I hope so Nate, although I love my friends their taste in music is atrocious. Working hard on one of my best mates, hope I can convince her before the tickets go on sale>grinning smiley<

Date: June 11, 2015 21:30

I might go to Knebworth now and wait for the gates to open for this gig to make sure I get in the front row.

Nate >grinning smiley<

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 21:35

The last time I was at Knebworth was for the Oasis shows in 96;
we drove down and stayed in London with my Brother and drove up each day;
There were fields full of parked cars all around and while it was a bit sluggish to get out, no worse than most other shows; I do remember the second night we tore out of there at the last notes to beat most of the traffic as we were driving back to Manchester...
If I were coming in from overseas I would absolutely rent a car; loads of places like Sixt these days where you can get a car for 10-15 GBP per day, less than train fare/taxis etc...

Date: June 11, 2015 23:03

jrcjohnny99
There were fields full of parked cars all around and while it was a bit sluggish to get out, no worse than most other shows; I do remember the second night we tore out of there at the last notes to beat most of the traffic as we were driving back to Manchester...
If I were coming in from overseas I would absolutely rent a car; loads of places like Sixt these days where you can get a car for 10-15 GBP per day, less than train fare/taxis etc...

Yes the car hire might appear to be cheap, but the reality when you get to the counter is another thing with all the add ons.
I recently had to hire a car here in the Uk, some of the things they were coming out with was something else, one of the conditions if i did not take out here full insurance was to take £2000 of my card and if nothing happaned to the car, it would be up to me to claim it back from the c/c company.
I rented a lot of cars in europe, but the Uk will take some beating with some car hire companies.

I dont mean any offence in what is above, just to put some people in the know.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 11, 2015 23:08

How is it with trains? There's a pretty swift direct connection from King's Cross to Stevenage, but how far do you have to walk to the site?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 11, 2015 23:19

Rolling Stones set to play Knebworth this summer.

Nice, but I will not travel from The Netherlands for this like I did for O2 first show and both Hyde Park shows in 2012 and 2013.

Follow it thru Periscope on IORR will do for me.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 12, 2015 00:31

Just watching knebworth with a nice bottle of red.

Please release this iconic show from the vaults.

And please lets bring it on for 2015.thumbs upeye popping smiley

Date: June 12, 2015 00:37

Nikkei
How is it with trains? There's a pretty swift direct connection from King's Cross to Stevenage, but how far do you have to walk to the site?

I believe it is about 30 minutes walk.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 12, 2015 00:39

That's easy to do. No parking hassle for me then smoking smiley

Date: June 12, 2015 01:02

Nate
I might go to Knebworth now and wait for the gates to open for this gig to make sure I get in the front row.

Nate >grinning smiley<

See you up there Nate. I live near Swindon so that should be a couple of hours. Best stake a place in the queue before The hordes arrive as soon as it's announced winking smiley Even if it isn't maybe we can hire a tribute band and re-enact the whole 1976 thing >grinning smiley<

Or better still, perhaps the musicians on here will get together and form their own tribute band and replay the whole 28 song 1976 set list smileys with beer

Date: June 12, 2015 01:08

grzegorz67
Nate

Nate >grinning smiley<

See you up there Nate. I live near Swindon so that should be a couple of hours. Best stake a place in the queue before The hordes arrive as soon as it's announced winking smiley Even if it isn't maybe we can hire a tribute band and re-enact the whole 1976 thing >grinning smiley<

Or better still, perhaps the musicians on here will get together and form their own tribute band and replay the whole 28 song 1976 set list smileys with beer

Or get a local pub to set some music up.

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:14

Nate
a bigger nut
Nate
a bigger nut
Nate

Nate thumbs up

Nate thumbs up

Thanks.
So, it seems not easy...

By their own car ??

You could hire a car and drive from London in about one hour or if you went on the train then you would most likely be able to make the last train back to London at midnight as I would think the concert would finish no later than 10.30pm

I hope this concert happens and I hope you can make it.

Nate thumbs up

Thanks, Nate.
Let's wait and see what happens.smiling smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:38

Nate

Nate thumbs up

I dont go to see Stevenage....It will be a good hotel to rest my head after a good stones gig. have been to London, from the Netherlands so many times i dont find it very appealing to spend more days in London. Unless.. the Stones will do an extra show in the Area.
jeroen

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 12, 2015 02:10

Well got my hotel booked in Stevenage !!!
just waiting for an announcement from the Stones and i will buy an airplane ticket.
Lets Rock !!

jeroen

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 03:25

odean73
jrcjohnny99

Yes the car hire might appear to be cheap, but the reality when you get to the counter is another thing with all the add ons.
I recently had to hire a car here in the Uk, some of the things they were coming out with was something else, one of the conditions if i did not take out here full insurance was to take £2000 of my card and if nothing happaned to the car, it would be up to me to claim it back from the c/c company.
I rented a lot of cars in europe, but the Uk will take some beating with some car hire companies.

That's interesting; do you mind me asking who that was with? I travel over to the UK once or twice per year (I am from the UK but have lived overseas for the last 18 years) and never have any issues like that; I do have an Amex which covers insurance on rental cars;
Last two times I've been I rented with Sixt and InterRent...
I just found my invoice from InterRent; it was total 138 GBP for 11 days..

Date: June 12, 2015 03:36

odean73
EddieByword
odean73

There you go odean ....might trigger a few memories......[www.iorr.org] .....

Date: June 12, 2015 10:13

EddieByword
odean73
EddieByword
odean73

There you go odean ....might trigger a few memories......[www.iorr.org] .....

Thanks. thumbs up

Date: June 12, 2015 10:19

jrcjohnny99
odean73
jrcjohnny99

That's interesting; do you mind me asking who that was with? I travel over to the UK once or twice per year (I am from the UK but have lived overseas for the last 18 years) and never have any issues like that; I do have an Amex which covers insurance on rental cars;
Last two times I've been I rented with Sixt and InterRent...
I just found my invoice from InterRent; it was total 138 GBP for 11 days..

It was with Enterprise.

I have booked hire cars for the last ten years in spain, and where it was quite cheap to start with, they certainly caught on in the last 5 years or so.
I do have an annual insurance costing about £35 but in spain they will still take around £600 - £800 off your card in case you have an accident.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1870
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home