Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 40
Re: San Diego CA USA 24-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:05

roller99
wellalright
looking down at the floor, it seemed sort of chaotic--impossibly long lines for merch, booze and bathrooms. you'd think for the money being spent,they might give you a bit more down there.

Being on the floor SUCKED! It felt like being at Altamont. Seriously. I hope Elite never gets to run an event there again.

Security did a terrible job...they thought they were more important than they were. Some goon stood right against the rail in front of me...glaring into the crowd. I wanted to ask him to step back a bit, but figured he'd shoot me and some judge would say he saw me reach into my waistband...common these days it seems.

Posted by: FunxionalJunkie ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:06

One thing to remember about the "war horses"

I took my 14 year old little brother (young enough to be my son) to his first RS concert last night. Asked him what his favorite song of the night was and he said Satisfaction.

Thinking back to my first RS show, if they had not played JJF, Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Women, etc..... I would have been disappointed. And I still enjoy them today. So yeah, I've got "deeper" cuts that I'd like to hear, like most of you. But I keep my complaining about the setlist to a minimum. They keep playing these songs for a reason. They're great freaking songs.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:07

SFM and CYHMK both seemed to be great judging from those YT clips.
Thanks everyone for your reports,pictures and clips of the show.

Date: May 26, 2015 01:09

treaclefingers
potus43
Disappointing set list but what r u gonna do

dunno...maybe stop complaining about it?

When will you stop complaining about people complaining? Maybe BV should make a rule that says everyone has to think the same...then you'll be happier.

Date: May 26, 2015 01:12

[www.iorr.org]

sdstonesguy
treaclefingers
potus43
Disappointing set list but what r u gonna do

dunno...maybe stop complaining about it?

When will you stop complaining about people complaining? Maybe BV should make a rule that says everyone has to think the same...then you'll be happier.

He already did, but he was nice enough to make complaints threads...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 01:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:13

Naturalust
Leonioid

Quit shamelessly dissing other posters and I'd have nothing to respond to. I certainly don't stalk your posts, it's hard to avoid them. I'm just trying to nicely point out that complaining about posters serves no purpose. This is about the Stones not your personal feelings for other posters who feel differently than you. It's about common courtesy and respect for others, even those with different opinions than yours.

Don't like that Mr. X doesn't like the set list, post what you like about it instead of calling Mr. X a senile grumpy ole man. Pretty simple really.

peace

That would be an adult way of responding. Some people just can't take it when others disagree. A few posters responded intelligently to the complaints -- explained why they thought it was a good setlist. They made good arguments. As opposed to the constant whiners who can't deal with a contrary opinion so they just throw insults.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:14

sdstonesguy
roller99
wellalright
looking down at the floor, it seemed sort of chaotic--impossibly long lines for merch, booze and bathrooms. you'd think for the money being spent,they might give you a bit more down there.

Being on the floor SUCKED! It felt like being at Altamont. Seriously. I hope Elite never gets to run an event there again.

Security did a terrible job...they thought they were more important than they were. Some goon stood right against the rail in front of me...glaring into the crowd. I wanted to ask him to step back a bit, but....

Man, that is bummer.
I hate it when that happens, and usually the better the seats we have the more likely it is. I can think of 5 concerts that are memorable because of some goon that affected the show, just by standing there blocking our view. It feels like they are staring at us the whole as we are trying to have fun. Man it is drag to some guy glaring all night long.

Which is why I have come to love GA floors (with reserved balconeys). It allows us to move it on over if/when we do not like the area we are in or the people we are around.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:15

sdstonesguy
Ok...I just watched the Jack Flash video...tell me the guitars don't sound off right from the beginning. Keef just isn't hitting it like he always has...this is his favorite song (probably b/c it is my favorite song...he's cool like that)...and he seems totally uninspired. Juxtapose this with him at say Wembley in 1999 when he I'm watching him talking to his guitar "ooh yeah baby...@#$%& yeah..."...now that was magic. I really felt he missed it on Flash last night & it took the air out of the song for me. Maybe I listen too closely & should just enjoy the "vibe" (b/c who cares how the Stones sound...right?...insert eye roll here).

Sorry, but those opening chords on Flash are super important...at least for me...and it just wasn' there. Also...so many songs ended in noodling rather than a tough emphatic ending. Charlie was perfect of course...how can he not be?

And going back to another point...how is it Keef & Ronnie just stood by Charlie? This is show business...where is the show? Keef has the classic poses that defines rock god. Last night, he seemed to have a smile on his face that reminded me of my grandfather. I'm really not knocking the Stones or Keef (my favorite musician of all time), I'm just calling it like I see it. Being excited to see the gig isn't the same as the gig being great.

That said...it was still the greatest Stones show ever...because that is what people say when they went to a Stones show.

i thought the JJF intro was fine.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:15

gotdablouse, thanks for posting the opener, JJF!

NL, really enjoyed your review. I'm so glad you got the show you could appreciate and share with us!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:19

sdstonesguy
roller99
wellalright

Security did a terrible job...they thought they were more important than they were. Some goon stood right against the rail in front of me...glaring into the crowd. I wanted to ask him to step back a bit, but figured he'd shoot me and some judge would say he saw me reach into my waistband...common these days it seems.

I'm brining a squirt gun full of liquid lsd to columbus. Any goon in my face like that is getting dosed to the gills. that'll show em

Date: May 26, 2015 01:20

Rokyfan
Naturalust
Leonioid

Quit shamelessly dissing other posters and I'd have nothing to respond to. I certainly don't stalk your posts, it's hard to avoid them. I'm just trying to nicely point out that complaining about posters serves no purpose. This is about the Stones not your personal feelings for other posters who feel differently than you. It's about common courtesy and respect for others, even those with different opinions than yours.

Don't like that Mr. X doesn't like the set list, post what you like about it instead of calling Mr. X a senile grumpy ole man. Pretty simple really.

peace

That would be an adult way of responding. Some people just can't take it when others disagree. A few posters responded intelligently to the complaints -- explained why they thought it was a good setlist. They made good arguments. As opposed to the constant whiners who can't deal with a contrary opinion so they just throw insults.

There is difference between replying directly to someone/attacking someone directly... versus making a general comment about something in general.

If someone makes a general comment about something and it is not directed at anyone specific then it should not make anyone feel offended, unless someone is just looking to cause trouble or play IORR cop.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:23

sdstonesguy
Ok...I just watched the Jack Flash video...tell me the guitars don't sound off right from the beginning. Keef just isn't hitting it like he always has...this is his favorite song (probably b/c it is my favorite song...he's cool like that)...and he seems totally uninspired. Juxtapose this with him at say Wembley in 1999 when he I'm watching him talking to his guitar "ooh yeah baby...@#$%& yeah..."...now that was magic. I really felt he missed it on Flash last night & it took the air out of the song for me. Maybe I listen too closely & should just enjoy the "vibe" (b/c who cares how the Stones sound...right?...insert eye roll here).

Sorry, but those opening chords on Flash are super important...at least for me...and it just wasn' there. Also...so many songs ended in noodling rather than a tough emphatic ending. Charlie was perfect of course...how can he not be?

And going back to another point...how is it Keef & Ronnie just stood by Charlie? This is show business...where is the show? Keef has the classic poses that defines rock god. Last night, he seemed to have a smile on his face that reminded me of my grandfather. I'm really not knocking the Stones or Keef (my favorite musician of all time), I'm just calling it like I see it. Being excited to see the gig isn't the same as the gig being great.

That said...it was still the greatest Stones show ever...because that is what people say when they went to a Stones show.

Thank you for writing down you thoughts. I love reading reviews which includes criticism, the fan boy ''best show ever'' reviews are ridiculously boring to read. Especially when we all know it wasn't the best show ever.

You cannot compare Wembley 1999 to this show... Stones was a different band back then, light years better in terms of musical performance.

Judging by the youtube videos it still seems like Petco was very decent show. A few messed up outros and flubbed intros does not make a bad show.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:30

Nice that they let Denson personalize the CYHMK solo and interesting that the 2 guys who weren't on the original (Ronnie and Karl) got to mix it up at the end. I thought it was a nice, tightened up version and Taylor's absence didn't detract at all.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:30

Leonioid

There is difference between replying directly to someone/attacking someone directly... versus making a general comment about something in general.

If someone makes a general comment about something and it is not directed at anyone specific then it should not make anyone feel offended, unless someone is just looking to cause trouble or play IORR cop.

It has nothing to do with being offended. You never said anything to me and I am not offended by what you write. I do think that it is profoundly stupid to be surprised or bothered by "setlist complainers" "whiners" or any other such stupid term. It's not a matter of offensive. It's just dumb and boring and adolescent, that's all, regardless of your parsing about general vs. specific. Adults disagree.

Date: May 26, 2015 01:32

Rokyfan
Leonioid

It has nothing to do with being offended. You never said anything to me and I am not offended by what you write. I do think that it is profoundly stupid to be surprised or bothered by "setlist complainers" "whiners" or any other such stupid term. It's not a matter of offensive. It's just dumb and boring and adolescent, that's all, regardless of your parsing about general vs. specific. Adults disagree.

As you make personal insults... "it's just dumb and boring and adolescent"

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:34

angee
gotdablouse, thanks for posting the opener, JJF!

NL, really enjoyed your review. I'm so glad you got the show you could appreciate and share with us!

Cheers and thanks angee! I did indeed love the show. I was willing to point out poor performances and give a more balanced review but they truly did a great job, I honesty was super impressed and highly entertained. Not much to say except Wow.

Would I have traded my killer seats for a ticket to the Fonda theater show? Probably so. I did miss the other songs on the SF record but was amazed how much genuine magic they put into the other songs I've heard so many times before. Something was different this time out, can't really put my finger on it but it was just better musically.

Truly hope you have a great time in Columbus!

peace

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:37

Leonioid
sdstonesguy
roller99
wellalright

Security did a terrible job...they thought they were more important than they were. Some goon stood right against the rail in front of me...glaring into the crowd. I wanted to ask him to step back a bit, but....

Man, that is bummer.
I hate it when that happens, and usually the better the seats we have the more likely it is. I can think of 5 concerts that are memorable because of some goon that affected the show, just by standing there blocking our view. It feels like they are staring at us the whole as we are trying to have fun. Man it is drag to some guy glaring all night long.

Which is why I have come to love GA floors (with reserved balconeys). It allows us to move it on over if/when we do not like the area we are in or the people we are around.

I've had that experience several times. Pay insane money to be down front, only to get a lecture about filming, pictures, etc. and then be stared at through the entire show by a bottom feeder who acts like he's Secret Service and I'm Lee Harvey Oswald.

Date: May 26, 2015 01:44

bleedingman
Leonioid
sdstonesguy
roller99
wellalright

Man, that is bummer.

I've had that experience several times. Pay insane money to be down front, only to get a lecture about filming, pictures, etc. and then be stared at through the entire show by a bottom feeder who acts like he's Secret Service and I'm Lee Harvey Oswald.
That is exactly what it feels like.
They turn it into a no fun zone. Give me a GA floor every show, I am happy to stand back 5 feet from the back of the mob and scoot around as needed. That is usually the equivalent of about 20-25th row (as long as the balconey seat are reserved keeping most of the crowd off the floor. This is my favorite set up)

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 26, 2015 02:16

JTHanis
sdstonesguy
Frankly, last night was the first time I thought the Stones showed their age (I was front row Ronnie side). The solos seemed to be a bit lost, the song openings seemed confuse, the song endings seemed confused, Ronnie & Keef didn't seem to work the stage at all (mostly just stood in front of the drum kit)...and Keef said we were about to get Can't Be Seen...and switched it out for Before They Make Me Run.

Jagger still seemed to be an energetic miracle, but the vocals were more talking/shouting than singing (yes, I know...this isn't new...just to a new level).

I had a good time, but it was the first time I didn't feel "this band is a FORCE." I get it was opening night...perhaps a bag of nerves in the mix. I'm sure the solos & endings will get tighter...but I don't get why the guitarists didn't put on a bit of a show (geez...didn't think Ronnie could avoid putting one on he's such a ham).

Oh, and on Shelter, Lisa didn't really stretch like she did back on Bridges. I'm sure her pipes are fine...but this missing piece seemed to fit the show...juiced up & sloppy. The show was a concert...not an event.

Just my 2 cents...I'm sure others think it was the greatest thing ever.

Thank you for an honest review, something that lacks on this board more often than not.

What is it about this review that makes you think it's more "honest" than ones you find lacking? Is it because you attended the concert and agreed with it or what? I wouldn't imagine anyone on here is making up their review, one way or the other, which is what you insinuate. Why would they do that?

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 02:58

Leonioid
bleedingman
Leonioid
sdstonesguy
roller99
wellalright

Man, that is bummer.

That is exactly what it feels like.
They turn it into a no fun zone. Give me a GA floor every show, I am happy to stand back 5 feet from the back of the mob and scoot around as needed. That is usually the equivalent of about 20-25th row (as long as the balconey seat are reserved keeping most of the crowd off the floor. This is my favorite set up)

They completely ruined the vibe of the show. We left with about six songs to go. I intend to complain to the security company tomorrow. I have video of all of it. I hope this one particular girl has something really negative happen in her life. Karma...

Date: May 26, 2015 03:01

Beast
JTHanis
sdstonesguy
Frankly, last night was the first time I thought the Stones showed their age (I was front row Ronnie side). The solos seemed to be a bit lost, the song openings seemed confuse, the song endings seemed confused, Ronnie & Keef didn't seem to work the stage at all (mostly just stood in front of the drum kit)...and Keef said we were about to get Can't Be Seen...and switched it out for Before They Make Me Run.

Jagger still seemed to be an energetic miracle, but the vocals were more talking/shouting than singing (yes, I know...this isn't new...just to a new level).

I had a good time, but it was the first time I didn't feel "this band is a FORCE." I get it was opening night...perhaps a bag of nerves in the mix. I'm sure the solos & endings will get tighter...but I don't get why the guitarists didn't put on a bit of a show (geez...didn't think Ronnie could avoid putting one on he's such a ham).

Oh, and on Shelter, Lisa didn't really stretch like she did back on Bridges. I'm sure her pipes are fine...but this missing piece seemed to fit the show...juiced up & sloppy. The show was a concert...not an event.

Just my 2 cents...I'm sure others think it was the greatest thing ever.

Thank you for an honest review, something that lacks on this board more often than not.

What is it about this review that makes you think it's more "honest" than ones you find lacking? Is it because you attended the concert and agreed with it or what? I wouldn't imagine anyone on here is making up their review, one way or the other, which is what you insinuate. Why would they do that?

I am going to take a guess & say that what he means is that many reviews are a perception based on what someone wants or expects, rather than is. If somoene paid $2,000 for a ticket, they may say it was a great concert no matter what...who wants to admit they paid an obscene amount of money for an ok gig? It is sort of like people who eat at the French Laundry. I have yet to meet someone who says it was less than incredible...greatest ever...etc. You pay $400 for some food...it is automatically incredible...or so it often seems.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 26, 2015 03:10

I don't understand why people waste their own time - and others - by complaining about set lists. If you don't like it, then feel free to feel that way, but really, we are not interested.

You don't really walk up to a lady and say up to her face: "I don't like the way you look - You are ugly in my eyes". Well if you have bad manners and a bad day, and it makes you feel better, on your own, then I understand why people do so, but it is not really interesting.

If you did not go to the show, it is not really interesting at all. If you did go to the show, and you did not like the set list, you must be mainac, first of all paying for the ticket, secondly for going to a fan web site like IORR, thirtly to post negitivity about set lists here, because they have done the same songs for 40-50 years. IT IS THE STONES!!!!

It is like complaining about the sunset. Surprise surprise, it happens every day.

For those who enjoy banging their head against the wall, I have good news. It feels so good when you stop doing it. Also, as a substitute of banging your head, here is a less painful place for you:

The ticket prices and other complaints thread : [www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Petco Review by Chris Epting (hbwriter)
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:04

Our old pal Chris Epting (hbwriter) attended last night show,and here is his review,a very gifted writer who used to grace this board sometimes back.....

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

"The Rolling Stones were the first band to ever play a concert at San Diego’s Petco Park back on 2005?s A Bigger Bang Tour, and they returned with a fury last night (May 24) to kick off this summer’s Zip Code Tour.
Any doubts as to whether the Stones could still fill a baseball stadium while delivering the sort of rarefied rock and roll circus that’s become their trademark were erased almost immediately when the band stormed the stage with a hungry, rugged version of ”Jumpin’ Jack Flash” (see the above video).
Flanked on a massive stage by high-definition video towers and ushered in with a smoky hail of fireworks and colorful bursts, the band made it clear they were there not to merely trot out a nostalgic night of memories and reveries, but rather to remind a jam-packed house that they are still very much a force to be reckoned with.
The classics came hard and fast. “It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll.” “All Down the Line.” “Tumbling Dice.” Mick Jagger, resplendent in a deep purple sequined jacket over a silky magenta top and black tights, remains an incalculable music force. Focused, determined and in strong voice, time and again he skipped, strutted and sashayed his way out the long runaway into a sea of hungry humanity, electrifying the masses both up close and far up into the rafters.
He seems impossible. Yet there he is. It’s not just his confidence of doing this for so long that makes Jagger such a master craftsman. It’s his understanding of what it requires. He exhorts, conducts and leads the crowd. But he teases it, too. He seduces it. He knows what people are paying for, in some case thousands of dollars, and he delivers what everyone wants and expects of him with passion and aplomb.
While the pretzel-thin Jagger does his thing out on the edge, punching the air and hypnotizing the believers, back at the main stage basecamp, of course, there are other forces at play. The wily Ron Wood, whose playing was especially sharp throughout the night, cavorted and bounced like a nervous child while his partner-in-musical-crime, Keith Richards, flashed bright white pirate grins, all the while holding down the riffs like some ghostly Lord of the Delta. Drummer Charlie Watts may be more iconic than any of them. Of all the Stones, he seems to have shifted the least since many first saw him on The Ed Sullivan Show. He is the most reliable. We can measure time against him. Watts is grayer now of course, but no less elegant, serious and in full command of the beat.
The band is punctuated with some sturdy and familiar faces including vocalists Lisa Fischer and Bernard Fowler, keyboardist Chuck Leavell, a couple of solid sax players (though the late great Bobby Keys is sorely missed) and bassist Darryl Jones. But it’s the fearsome foursome that is the magnet of attention.
They did a mini-set from 1971’s Sticky Fingers to help promote an upcoming re-release, comprised of ”Bitch,” (for which they were joined by opener Gary Clark Jr.), “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” and the gentle, Japanese-tinged ode to the road, “Moonlight Mile.”
Richards took a turn on two personal and poignant numbers, “Slipping Away” and “Before They Make Me Run.” But for many it came down to the dyed-in-the-wool classics to get the juices fully flowing. We forget sometimes just how embedded some of those riffs are in our collective subconscious. No matter how many times we’ve heard them live, on record or on the radio, when the opening notes of “Honky Tonk Women,” “Street Fighting Man,” “Gimme Shelter” or “Brown Sugar” cascade over us, deep emotions are triggered and unleashed. Those songs are now part of our DNA. They affect our metabolism. And so a mass of humanity is reborn over the course of the cool summer night; throbbing, swaying and celebrating the sounds that raised us, got us drunk and took us down dark corners.
When Jagger begins blowing those first haunting notes of “Midnight Rambler” and Richards crunches the blues opera’s first cryptic chords, the stage becomes a jungle of sonic mayhem, blood-red and purple light. Keith Richards once said that to know the real Jagger, just listen to him play harp. And in those reedy breaths, he seems right. The true bluesman emerges throughout the 12-minute epic; mysterious, mythical and mercurial. At one point in the tune Jagger breaks out in a manic, alarming, twitching series of cathartic moves. He seems possessed by the music himself, just as we are. It’s a bonding moment.
But then the Bob Cole Conservatory Chamber Choir from California State University, Long Beach hits the angelic opening notes of the first encore, the stately, atmospheric “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” and it’s back to the grandeur and church-like atmosphere that Jagger seems especially in tune with. He clearly wants to celebrate, and so celebrate he does. That he will be 72 this summer means zero. When he breaks out in full sprint during “Brown Sugar” and makes it all the way from stage left to right in about 10 seconds, you realize it’s not about age. It’s about heart, energy and a force of will. It’s about the joy of watching arguably the greatest entertainer in modern history. It ended just around midnight and with the last strains of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” still rattling around the ballpark.
Forty years ago this summer, the Rolling Stones embarked on their now-legendary 1975 Tour of the Americas. A lot of the press back then wondered seriously if perhaps it was the last haul for a band that was then all of just 13 years old. And after all, Jagger was approaching his 32nd birthday.
Now, they are taking North America on yet another wild summer ride. Hours before the show, thousands wandered around the venue, sporting concert shirts that went back to the ’60s. Seniors, hipsters, 30-somethings, 40 and 50-somethings, millennials, teenagers, little kids; it is a cross-section and multi-racial communal tribe that is all-inclusive, just as it will be in all the other cities they play. They deny nobody.
And any talk of this being the last time or a thousand other tired cliches seem irrelevant. This is a band that is still performing at a peak level — one that every other band on the planet can learn from — that reaffirms, for two hours and 15 glorious minutes, not just the magic and mystery of music, but of life itself. They are just that much an inspiring force of nature. See them this summer. They are waiting to spoil you. And you’ll get what you need."

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-25 22:31 by ROPENI.

Re: Petco Review by Chris Epting (hbwriter)
Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:26

That was terrific. I was there and he captured a lot of what we felt. And it seems like he was definitely not watching from the floor, which looked kind of crazy and unorganized.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:32

I have to say I merely skim such reviews these days. Other than listing what songs they played, every review of every show could apply to every other show.

Date: May 25, 2015 22:36

I like the reviews. Have read all them today. Different angles and things people focus on.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:42

This review is worth reading,in all honesty l did not think much of this tour,except as a cash cow for the band,one perhaps last attempt to grab lots of cash from the faithful ,but from what Epting saw the band still is a force to be reckon with, l may have changed my mind and actually travel to see them if they do New York..Thank You hbwriter....winking smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:46

<<But for many it came down to the dyed-in-the-wool classics to get the juices fully flowing.>>

And let that be a lesson to ya, O set list complainers of the "warhorse" mantra. The lesson being, that if IORRians got to pick the set list the band were to play, they wouldn't be able to fill a Petco store let alone Petco park.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:57

Nicely written, as always, Chris!

Date: May 25, 2015 22:59

I agree with that. If I never hear Miss you again the rest of my life it will be too soon. But for many last night, that's where the show took off.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home