Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 40
Rolling Stones - San Diego CA, May 24 2015
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 25, 2015 19:57

Rolling Stones - San Diego CA, May 24 2015
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 25, 2015 19:57

Re: San Diego CA USA 24-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 25, 2015 19:58

Nice close ups.

Date: May 25, 2015 20:01

CYHMK was great.

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:06

Lucky Dip sent me literally to the last/highest row in an upper level section, so my photos are salvaged largely by the live screens images. In this view of the stage, who is playing keyboard behind Chuck, I wonder?

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:07

I've only been to one show since 2012 but judging by the videos this concert is the best they've done since A Bigger Bang-tour. Maybe the Fonda gig was better there's no recording...

There's definitely some fine things to notice about this tour opener.

1. Charlie tried out some fun disco beat with the hi-hat during Start Me Up, sounds great.

2. It's Only Rock N Roll is played slightly faster than last year.

3. The backing vocals are much lower in the mix on Jumping Jack Flash, so we can hear Mick better.

4. Relatively tight version of Bitch, just wish Keith would change his tired licks.

5. Moonlight Mile sounds better than in 1999.

Since this is the first gig of the tour and they already are playing very decent one can hope for some unforgettable concerts to come later on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-25 20:07 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:25

notes from our seats: jagger's vocals were simply as strong as they get. wonderful.
people LOVE this set list
the band is in absolutely terrific shape - a wonder to behold

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:29

SFTD courtesy of prestoff2000. He's put out some good stuff here. Well done mate. smileys with beer

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:30

Frankly, last night was the first time I thought the Stones showed their age (I was front row Ronnie side). The solos seemed to be a bit lost, the song openings seemed confuse, the song endings seemed confused, Ronnie & Keef didn't seem to work the stage at all (mostly just stood in front of the drum kit)...and Keef said we were about to get Can't Be Seen...and switched it out for Before They Make Me Run.

Jagger still seemed to be an energetic miracle, but the vocals were more talking/shouting than singing (yes, I know...this isn't new...just to a new level).

I had a good time, but it was the first time I didn't feel "this band is a FORCE." I get it was opening night...perhaps a bag of nerves in the mix. I'm sure the solos & endings will get tighter...but I don't get why the guitarists didn't put on a bit of a show (geez...didn't think Ronnie could avoid putting one on he's such a ham).

Oh, and on Shelter, Lisa didn't really stretch like she did back on Bridges. I'm sure her pipes are fine...but this missing piece seemed to fit the show...juiced up & sloppy. The show was a concert...not an event.

Just my 2 cents...I'm sure others think it was the greatest thing ever.

Posted by: slowhand ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:35

sdstonesguy
Frankly, last night was the first time I thought the Stones showed their age (I was front row Ronnie side). The solos seemed to be a bit lost, the song openings seemed confuse, the song endings seemed confused, Ronnie & Keef didn't seem to work the stage at all (mostly just stood in front of the drum kit)...and Keef said we were about to get Can't Be Seen...and switched it out for Before They Make Me Run.

Jagger still seemed to be an energetic miracle, but the vocals were more talking/shouting than singing (yes, I know...this isn't new...just to a new level).

I had a good time, but it was the first time I didn't feel "this band is a FORCE." I get it was opening night...perhaps a bag of nerves in the mix. I'm sure the solos & endings will get tighter...but I don't get why the guitarists didn't put on a bit of a show (geez...didn't think Ronnie could avoid putting one on he's such a ham).

Oh, and on Shelter, Lisa didn't really stretch like she did back on Bridges. I'm sure her pipes are fine...but this missing piece seemed to fit the show...juiced up & sloppy. The show was a concert...not an event.

I respect your opinion, especially since you were at the show but I don't see that from the vids I've seen from last night, sounds like the band and especially Mick were in fine form.

Date: May 25, 2015 20:37

one funny thing is the rush to the restrooms during "slipping away"

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:39

It was an AWESOME Stones show. Whoo Hoo!

My biggest memory is how friggin' great Mick Jagger is. He was pumped the whole show and sang really well. I was for once not as keyed on the guitars and drawn to Micks singing and performance. The man is amazing. Even Keith was singing great,imo, Before they make me run was great and I don't even like the song! No out of breath barking, cut off notes or off key singing last night, Mick was well prepared and his singing was better than I expected by a long shot.

It was LOUD. Keith's guitar was up front and cutting the whole night. His playing was really good, supported as ever by Ronnie who was alternatively balanced in the mix and out front for certain leads and fills. I can only imagine that the FOH mixer was busy riding the faders to achieve the mix I heard last night.

They weren't tight as could probably be expected. It wasn't like this Vegas Stones people talk about where all the pieces are in their places and predictable and the support musicians are carrying a big load. It was loose, loud, fun, and totally rocking. The songs often felt like they were about to fall on their faces but they roared on with that quality that is pure Stones and the effect was devastating. It was Rock and Roll deluxe, the opposite of what you get at an Eagles or Steely Dan show. smoking smiley. Not sure many of the songs will translate well to perfect recordings, it was far from perfect but that actually made it more accessible, intimate and enjoyable in a a strange way.

Keith and Mick looked like they were having a blast the whole night and it was catchy, you couldn't help but enjoy yourself looking at them. They looked great, healthy and happy. I was thinking this was likely their last tour before the show but judging by what I saw last night, these guys have plenty more to offer. South America and Europe get ready because the Stones are far from calling it quits.

I actually got the feeling they have been listening to us here on IORR! So many critiques that have been expressed here seemed to be totally killed last night. From the tempo on Moonlight Mile, Micks singing, Keith's contributions, Ronnie's soloing, even Chuck's playing all seemed to come together and I couldn't have been happier, smiling to myself about all those complaints I've heard here that were washed away in a single stroke. Would MT have added to the music? Probably so. Was he required to pull off an excellent show? No he wasn't

The set list...yeah I would have loved to hear more SF tunes, I actually think they could have pulled them off to great effect, even with that stadium crowd. people LOVED Moonlight Mile and I can only hope Jagger picked up on it and allows more slow numbers into the set on the rest of the tour. I thought I might be more disappointed with the other warhorses, but they actually sounded fresh, something seemed different about them, not sure if it was the mix or the playing, but I was hearing things that weren't worn out and I was delighted by most of them. I think Bitch would have been better without Gary Clark, Jr. but I was glad they played it. If they would have dropped Miss You and Start Me up and inserted Sway, Dead Flowers and any number of other surprises it would have been perfect. As it was, it was a great rock show and I am quite amazed and grateful to have witnessed it.

This is going to be a great tour, hope everyone gets as good of one as San Diego got last night.

peace

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:40

I've seen a lot of shows...this was how I experienced it.

Also, Keef's voice was better than expected...and they really miss Bobby (how could they not).

One thing I don't get...why are people angry with those who want a different setlist? Should those people be angry at those who don't want a different setlist? Gee whiz people...we can have opinions...even if they differ. We can love the band & still want something different. I suspect many setlist "whiners" are people who have seen A LOT of shows & would like to hear something new on a new tour. That really is not a radical concept. I know I would have enjoyed seeing Sway & Can't Be Seen...perhaps I too am a whiner. Perhaps those who are not whiners...just have not seen enough shows...whining is a privilege (just kidding about that last part)!

Posted by: Irix ()

stoneslib

In this view of the stage, who is playing keyboard behind Chuck, I wonder?

Matt Clifford. Have a look at the Videos from San Diego: [www.iorr.org] , e.g. 'All Down The Line'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-25 21:00 by Irix.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()

@sdstonesgu - Sorry to read that, the videos aren't too bad but they don't give the full picture. When was the lat time you'd seen them ? The "Can't Be Seen" moment is a bit "worrying" indeed, especially the way Ronnie was encouraging Keith to" fix it", a bit like you'd do with an "elder" person.

Just found this nice clip showing the beginning of the show with Keith walking out on the ramp alone

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-25 20:45 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:42

Sympathy is the the same old tired boring karaoke version. How awful.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:48

Posted by: haukej ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:49

[youtu.be] opening with jjf (courtesy of my wife Kristin)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-25 20:51 by haukej.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:49

Naturalust
It was an AWESOME Stones show. Whoo Hoo!

My biggest memory is how friggin' great Mick Jagger is. He was pumped the whole show and sang really well. I was for once not as keyed on the guitars and drawn to Micks singing and performance. The man is amazing. Even Keith was singing great,imo, Before they make me run was great and I don't even like the song! No out of breath barking, cut off notes or off key singing last night, Mick was well prepared and his singing was better than I expected by a long shot.

It was LOUD. Keith's guitar was up front and cutting the whole night. His playing was really good, supported as ever by Ronnie who was alternatively balanced in the mix and out front for certain leads and fills. I can only imagine that the FOH mixer was busy riding the faders to achieve the mix I heard last night.

They weren't tight as could probably be expected. It wasn't like this Vegas Stones people talk about where all the pieces are in their places and predictable and the support musicians are carrying a big load. It was loose, loud, fun, and totally rocking. The songs often felt like they were about to fall on their faces but they roared on with that quality that is pure Stones and the effect was devastating. It was Rock and Roll deluxe, the opposite of what you get at an Eagles or Steely Dan show. smoking smiley. Not sure many of the songs will translate well to perfect recordings, it was far from perfect but that actually made it more accessible, intimate and enjoyable in a a strange way.

Keith and Mick looked like they were having a blast the whole night and it was catchy, you couldn't help but enjoy yourself looking at them. They looked great, healthy and happy. I was thinking this was likely their last tour before the show but judging by what I saw last night, these guys have plenty more to offer. South America and Europe get ready because the Stones are far from calling it quits.

I actually got the feeling they have been listening to us here on IORR! So many critiques that have been expressed here seemed to be totally killed last night. From the tempo on Moonlight Mile, Micks singing, Keith's contributions, Ronnie's soloing, even Chuck's playing all seemed to come together and I couldn't have been happier, smiling to myself about all those complaints I've heard here that were washed away in a single stroke. Would MT have added to the music? Probably so. Was he required to pull off an excellent show? No he wasn't

The set list...yeah I would have loved to hear more SF tunes, I actually think they could have pulled them off to great effect, even with that stadium crowd. people LOVED Moonlight Mile and I can only hope Jagger picked up on it and allows more slow numbers into the set on the rest of the tour. I thought I might be more disappointed with the other warhorses, but they actually sounded fresh, something seemed different about them, not sure if it was the mix or the playing, but I was hearing things that weren't worn out and I was delighted by most of them. I think Bitch would have been better without Gary Clark, Jr. but I was glad they played it. If they would have dropped Miss You and Start Me up and inserted Sway, Dead Flowers and any number of other surprises it would have been perfect. As it was, it was a great rock show and I am quite amazed and grateful to have witnessed it.

This is going to be a great tour, hope everyone gets as good of one as San Diego got last night.

peace

Great review and thank you.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:54

Naturalust

YEAH! Now you Yankees get to know what 14 on Fire felt like! The playing ain't that much better than in 2013, but the overall feel is! Great Review!

Did they say/do anything to pay tribute to Bobby? Was he shown on the screen or something like that?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:58

slowhand
sdstonesguy

I respect your opinion, especially since you were at the show but I don't see that from the vids I've seen from last night, sounds like the band and especially Mick were in fine form.

From my perspective Mick sang much better than talking/shouting. Mick really put some melody and musical effort into the tunes last night, imo. Holding notes longer than usual and concentrating on his vocal delivery as much as his dancing and running about. It was one of the big surprises for me.

The looseness of the music was part of the appeal to me, that wobble was back, and it made you feel like you were hearing a band taking a few chances instead of just regurgitating phrases they've played hundred's of times before, kept you focused on what was coming next. It somehow created an intimacy like you get from watching a band in a small club instead of seeing some totally polished, perfect performance where you can predict the next notes and become somewhat bored with the music. The magic of what makes the Stones a great live band was there in spades last night.

peace

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:58

crawdaddy
Street Fighting Man from presstoff2000.

Think he's got more to come.

That is the best version of Street Fighting Man I've heard since MT left.

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:59

Irix
stoneslib

In this view of the stage, who is playing keyboard behind Chuck, I wonder?

Matt Clifford. Have a look at the Videos from San Diego: [www.iorr.org] .

Thanks, Irix.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:02

from USA TODAY (for those who missed the link)

San Diego gets what it needs: Rolling Stones

Bill Keveney, USA TODAY 12:09 p.m. EDT May 25, 2015

SAN DIEGO — If time has a mellowing effect, somebody forgot to tell the Rolling Stones.

The iconic British rock band, which has been playing since the early 1960s, grabbed hold of a giant stadium stage and mesmerized Petco Park for two hours and 15 minutes Sunday on the opening night of the group's 2015 Zip Code tour in North America.

The Stones, who came on after a vigorous 50-minute set by Gary Clark Jr., leaped right into Jumpin' Jack Flash before entertaining the sellout crowd with a wide range of their many hits, including a few treats from the 1971 album Sticky Fingers, which is being reissued in North America on June 9.

"Thank you very much, San Diego. Great to be back here," lead singer Mick Jagger told the crowd after a rousing rendition of It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It).

Or, as fellow 71-year-old bandmate Keith Richards, who has played with Jagger for more than 50 years, put it a little later: "We're really glad to be here. It's been a while," he said, acknowledging that they last played the city in 2005. "Can't be everywhere."

Highlights from the concert and the events surrounding it:

Stones draw a crowd, and then some. Tens of thousands — many with tickets and many seeking them — descended Sunday on downtown San Diego, whose streets featured festive red tongue banners promoting the concert.

Fans stood more than 15 deep at one souvenir stand outside the stadium before the gates opened. Some fans without tickets, including San Diegans Andrea Finch, 43, and Susan Pierce, 42, sat against a building across the street from the back of Petco Park, hoping to hear the concert from the sidewalk.

"I wasn't going to sit home knowing the Rolling Stones were in my backyard. I wanted to see the crowd," Finch says. "There's a vibe here. It's super rad."

From T-shirts to bandanas. Stones merchandise was selling briskly at various souvenir stands in and around Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres. Zip Code T-shirts were going for $40, while Sticky Fingers shirts were a comparable steal at $30. Blue women's shorts, complete with the Stones tongue logo, were $40.

At another booth, an American flag bandana with tongues replacing stars was $20, while a Zip Code hoodie was $85.

Punctuality. Clark, who later joined the Stones for the Sticky Fingers' song, Bitch, started his set a few minutes ahead of schedule. The Stones took the stage — a giant structure nearly as tall as Petco's third deck with huge screens on both sides and in the center — within minutes of their planned 9:30 start time. No undisciplined rockers here.

Non-stop action. Jagger and his bandmates staged a high-energy show, with the lead singer a jaw-dropping sight as he strutted, danced, swayed and ran — at one point, late in the show, sprinting the length of what must have been a 60-yard stage. His stamina would dazzle at any age. Jagger also frequently ventured out to the middle of the stadium on an extended runway, imploring the crowd through voice and gesture to sing, clap and flat-out rock.

Guitarists Richards and Ronnie Wood, the former flashing frequent smiles, played behind Jagger, with Charlie Watts making up the fourth point of this rock diamond formation at his drum set behind them. The quartet was accompanied by more than half a dozen other skilled musicians, including vocalist Lisa Fischer, who went toe to toe with Jagger on a blazing Gimme Shelter.

Sticky Fingers tribute. At a warm-up club show in Los Angeles on Wednesday, the Stones played all 10 songs on Sticky Fingers. They offered an abbreviated version in San Diego, playing Bitch, Moonlight Mile and Can't You Hear Me Knocking before coming back with Brown Sugar later in the show. Knocking featured sublime drumming by Watts as Jagger, playing a not-infrequent cheerleader role, exhorted the crowd to rock before shaking the maracas during Wood's guitar instrumental.

Mick Jagger, man of many clothes and comments. Jagger's outfits ranged from a sparkly purple jacket to open the show to a red, feathered boa-style robe for Sympathy for the Devil to a dazzling maroon jacket, complete with tails, for (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction during the encore. Most of the time, however, he got down to business in a long-sleeve black T-shirt and jeans.

Jagger showed his comic side, pronouncing San Diegans so many ways, including the correct one, that it would have made Ron Burgundy proud. He also had some fun with a stadium named for a company that specializes in pet products. In 2005, "We were the first band to play Petco Park" after it had that name, he said, joking that the Petco people provided backstage catering, including chicken and venison "in a tin."

Versatility. Richards took the lead on Slipping Away and Before They Make Me Run, while Jagger added some soulful harmonica riffs to Midnight Rambler. The band also responded to a fan social-media vote with a rocking Street Fighting Man.

Encore. After the briefest of goodbyes, the California State University-Long Beach Cole Conservatory Chamber Choir began the celestial-sounding opening to You Can't Always Get What You Want, which moved into Jagger's plaintive verses before building to a rip-roaring crescendo. The band closed with (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction. Concertgoers, many dancing on their chairs and in the aisles, apparently got plenty.

The 20-song set list: Jumpin' Jack Flash, It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It), All Down the Line, Tumbling Dice, Doom and Gloom, Bitch, Moonlight Mile, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Street Fighting Man, Honky Tonk Women, Slipping Away, Before They Make Me Run, Midnight Rambler, Miss You, Gimme Shelter, Start Me Up, Sympathy for the Devil and Brown Sugar. The encore featured extended versions of You Can't Always Get What You Want and Satisfaction.

The Stones resume the 15-city Zip Code tour Saturday in Columbus, Ohio.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:03

Naturalust
The songs often felt like they were about to fall on their faces but they roared on with that quality that is pure Stones and the effect was devastating.
peace

It has always been my opinion that this is exactly why the Stones are so great when they're "on". It's not a "well-rehearsed" "on", but a genuine tuned-in-got-the-feel "on" that is far superior than the "tuned-in on" of any other band. no other band can touch it. Of course, we've all seen it turn into a train wreck, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-25 21:05 by josepi.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:05

Re: San Diego CA USA Rolling Stones 2015 show and travel info
Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:00

Still trying to recover from the great Stones weekend in San Diego. Weather was perfect. Stones sounded great, but they made a few flubs here and there (like a lyric mix up on Gimmie Shelter), but they will tighten things up as the tour progresses. It may have been where I was, section A3, row 23, but during Lisa's solo on GS, I often could not hear her at all!

Stage seemed very low to me as I mostly could not see anyone. Too many tall people, I guess, but my visibility was worse than usual for that location. Keith and Ronnie also stayed put in the middle of the stage for most of the show. Not much walking over to the sides by them and I only remember seeing them on the catwalk once. I mostly had to watch the big screens.

Moonlight Mile was special for me, but I couldn't tell how it was received by the crowd. Unfortunately for me, during the early parts of the song, it's really just Mick singing with a bit of guitar, so it was relatively quiet and a woman in A3, row 22, seat around 23 or 24, took that opportunity to talk extremely loudly to her friend, really ruining the experience for me even though I was one row and 5 or so seats away from her. It was remarkably inconsiderate of her and man, did she have a loud voice.

I enjoyed the show, but it did make me remember how much I hate big stadium concerts. I chose floor seats because I never sit during a Stones concert, got to dance, and only on the floor do I have no one behind me yelling at me to sit down because they can't see. But it's always so cramped, visibility is terrible, drunks abound, and it honestly makes me dislike humanity a bit. But the Stones were great and they will get better as the tour goes on.

I'm only going to one more show, Milwaukee, and that will be a much better venue and I did spring for a really good seat there, so I think for me the best is yet to come.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:07

Everything about the band sounded awesome last night, considering it was a stadium show. I must however post about the facility and the security team "Elite Inc." that was hired to run the show. We had front row tickets, and as soon as the show started, people who had no business being there rushed the area in front of the seats. When we went to stand at the barrier we were accosted and yelled at by the security people. One woman in particular was trying to do her personal best imitation of an she-nazi. She ruined the entire vibe of the show and we left before the encore. "Sit down! Get back to your seats or we'll kick you out!" I thought the audience was really cold too, nowhere near as vibrant as Staples 2013. San Diego is a nice city, but I will never drive down there for a concert again, they have no clue as to how to stage a major event.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:09

Hope you don't mind me putting your great youtube video up like this haukej. smoking smiley

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:09

sdstonesguy

Thank you for an honest review, something that lacks on this board more often than not.

but I don't see that from the vids I've seen from last night, sounds like the band and especially Mick were in fine form.

Videos don't convey the vibe in the stadium. BV has said many times in his sermons it's the impression from the people who were there. I've watched many videos of the shows I've attended and it never captured the feeling, good or bad.

Date: May 25, 2015 21:10

looking down at the floor, it seemed sort of chaotic--impossibly long lines for merch, booze and bathrooms. you'd think for the money being spent,they might give you a bit more down there.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2225
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home