Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 40
Re: San Diego CA USA 24-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 25, 2015 16:09

DandelionPowderman
StonedRambler
Keith should do a break at moonlight mile. He is noodling too much around and plays notes that don't fit to the harmonys. And Ronnie should play on an acoustic guitar. But the keyboards are great!! Someone said at the Fonda Show there were no keyboards on mm and that it was missing something..

Mick played it beautifully. Keith (power) and Ronnie (colouring) did great licks. Lovely version, imo. Mick's vocals were excellent.

And what a version of ADTL! Wow was that a party!!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 25, 2015 16:15

slew
Not whining about the set list per say I just wish they would mix up the so called war horses. In my opinion PIB, UMT, GOOMC, 19th Nervous Breakdown, LSTNT, MLH are every bit as good and well known as GS, BS, SMU etc. SFTD and MY should be dropped in favor of other songs. I've seen these songs enough and that is why I am not going to invest this time. For those who do have a great ti

Satisfaction was the only pre-1968 song they played. Brian era barely represented. Not a complaint .... just an observation.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 25, 2015 16:17

Thommie
Some people had of course expectations for a more exciting setlist after the hints about Sticky Fingers in its entirety.
But if we have had this setlist yesteryear we would've been overwhelmed.
BOTH Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Midning Rambler. Plus Moonlight Mile.

As long time Stones fans, we know what we are going to get at stadium shows. They are going to play hits to the casual fan. That has been demonstrated for years now. I personally would be very happy if Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Rambler, Moonlight Mile AND Can't Always Get What You Want grace the stage by the time they get to the Ralph in Buffalo, New York. Interesting that although they clocked in at 2 hours and 15 minutes, by America's standard in the past, this is the shortest set-list they have played. By recent history, the Stones usually play anywhere between 22-23 songs.

Date: May 25, 2015 16:24

Sighunt
Thommie
Some people had of course expectations for a more exciting setlist after the hints about Sticky Fingers in its entirety.

As long time Stones fans, we know what we are going to get at stadium shows. They are going to play hits to the casual fan. That has been demonstrated for years now. I personally would be very happy if Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Rambler, Moonlight Mile AND Can't Always Get What You Want grace the stage by the time they get to the Ralph in Buffalo, New York. Interesting that although they clocked in at 2 hours and 15 minutes, by America's standard in the past, this is the shortest set-list they have played. By recent history, the Stones usually play anywhere between 22-23 songs.

For the last tours it's been 19-20 songs and 2 hrs 5 min.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 25, 2015 16:29

Street Fighting Man from presstoff2000.

Think he's got more to come.

Date: May 25, 2015 16:43

DandelionPowderman
Sighunt
Thommie

For the last tours it's been 19-20 songs and 2 hrs 5 min.

Correct, the last tours in 2014 that were not American dates, they did play 19-20 songs. For obsessives like myself (LOL), I am just noting for whatever reason, historically, the Stones have generally played longer set-lists in America.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: May 25, 2015 16:43

Just Curious: What was the market like for tickets on the street last night and did they sell any at the window.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 25, 2015 16:46

As predicted with the exception of 3 songs,this was a Warhorses show.....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 25, 2015 16:52

Sighunt
Thommie

23 was the standard for the five 2012 shows and the beginning of the US 2013 tour, then it dropped to 22, 21 in Washington, 20 for Glastonbury (festival shortlists are generally shorter) then to 19 for HP and stayed there unfortunately...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 25, 2015 16:54

what a band !!! Loved Ronnie eyeing Keef at the end of All down the Line!!
Micks Voice is great, good guitar sound. Great energy. Beautiful ending of MM, indeed!!

Very happy, although im in Holland now.
One love
jeroen

Posted by: FunxionalJunkie ()
Date: May 25, 2015 16:55

Great time, fun crowd.

Had not been to a RS stadium show in almost ten years and I enjoyed the volume. I like it loud, dammit!

Weird seeing them without Bobby for the first time.

I thought they did a damned nice job on Moonlight Mile.

Glad to have been there. Hope to see them again later in the year. That was my 9th, I want to make it to double digits! Ha

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 25, 2015 16:56

ROPENI

Take those 3 songs out and keith's 2 and you have 15 .....Andy Warhol said 'you' should call things what they are....on that basis maybe this tour should have been called "The Warhorse 15 tour" instead of the lame Zipcode thing....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-25 16:56 by EddieByword.

Date: May 25, 2015 16:57

ROPENI

Does not matter!!! Great Music, good energy and it makes people happy !!
loved it,although i was not there.
Jeroen

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:00

Since the last US tour was mostly the bigger urban cities I expect to see Dead Flowers get trotted out as they hit middle America. It's probably the last chance they/we have where most folks in the audience would want to hear a few 'countrified' RS tunes like DF, LIB, SVa, etc. at a stadium show.

Come to think of it, the last time I saw the Stones in a stadium, they played DF in North Carolina.

So many genres (they have explored), so little time.

ADTL, Bitch, MM, CYHMK. Nice.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:07

FunxionalJunkie
Great time, fun crowd.

Weird seeing them without Bobby for the first time.

Yeah, that's gonna hit me hard, when I think about it. It's not like other tours he wasn't on, where you knew he was still alive out there somewhere. I almost hope I don't get to hear CYHMK, and will probably get choked up rather than jubilant during the sax solo on BS.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:12

I think I just saw Karl playing flute in that ohne MM video!
In that video of prestoff2000 at 1:40
Am i right?

What I meant about Keef that his notes are peaking out a bit and sometimes the notes fit not so good to the harmony. At one moment when Mick plays an Open G-Major chord he plays a lick with a Bb note in it which sounds a bit weird.
And in the part before the Bridge Mick played the G-chord and I think I heard keef playing a C# a few times.

But i don't want to complain. Great they Play it again and Micks does great work on vocals

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:13

The Sicilian
keefgotsoul
The Sicilian
This is a very weak setlist for the hardcore fan. Only CYHMK and Moonlight Mile run the excitement meter, with a nod to Street Fighting Man.

It's a stadium setlist. What do you expect? I'd be thrilled to see Moonlight Mile at a stadium show.

I expect something more than the same show tour after tour. It has become pandering. Hardcore fans pay too.

Were you there? Did you pay for this? NO.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:16

If you're playing to 50,000 people, you have to play hits. It's just a fact.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:19

crawdaddy
Street Fighting Man from presstoff2000.

Think he's got more to come.

GOOD SHIT !

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:22

EddieByword
ROPENI

Take those 3 songs out and keith's 2 and you have 15 .....Andy Warhol said 'you' should call things what they are....on that basis maybe this tour should have been called "The Warhorse 15 tour" instead of the lame Zipcode thing....

I agree it could be more diverse. Oh yes. But ADTL isn't a warhorse and the way they played it was terrific. So was MM. Warhorses: JJF sounded ok to me.
Not that I would pay $ 800 to see them play but I can imagine people would.

Date: May 25, 2015 17:24

EddieByword
ROPENI

Are SFM, D&G, Bitch and ADTL warhorses now?

Date: May 25, 2015 17:30

all this complaining about the setlist. from what i have heard and seen on youtube...it was a great night by a Great band !!
Jeroen

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:31

DandelionPowderman
EddieByword
ROPENI

Yes,the only you may argue about is Doom,but also has been played to death since it came out,and for me at least is not a very good song,but hey what do l know?..winking smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:32

Thank you to everyone for their reports and pictures! It's always fun to read about the Rolling Stones, especially at the beginning of a new tour.

I'm on both sides of the setlist issue, so I'm sure to make everyone mad with my opinion.

On one hand, the warhorses only became warhorses because they're guaranteed crowd pleasers. As long as the band can find some sort of enjoyment playing them, I'm okay with it. My second favorite band is the Ramones, and all their original members are dead now. So, I'm grateful that the Stones are alive, much less still all playing together... much more less that they're playing at such a high level and on tour right now. So, my gratitude for those facts will always exceed any complaints about setlists.

On the other hand, I do think the setlist is predictable, and that they could easily make a great, stadium pleasing set list from relatively rare catalog songs. Just a few examples of hits, rarities, and covers:

Waiting On A Friend
Silver Train
Heartbreaker
Live With Me
Respectable
Star Star
She's A Rainbow
Let It Bleed
Dandelion
Fool To Cry
Beast Of Burden
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby...
Mother's Little Helper
It's All Over Now
Get Off Of My Cloud
19th Nervous Breakdown
Paint It, Black
Tell Me
Undercover Of The Night
Emotional Rescue
Let's Spend The Night Together
I'm Free
Play With Fire
Under My Thumb
Little T&A
Not Fade Away
Can't Turn You Loose
Carol

Add in major portions (or all) of "Sticky Fingers" and sprinkle occasionally with two or three of the usual warhorses, and I think you could have a really exciting and satisfying show.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:39

These reports and videos are GREAT!
Especially that STREET FIGHTING MAN! WHOA YEA!

Columbus can't get here fast enough.
And for the record, I LOVE Doom & Gloom.
And Moonlight Mile.
And All Down The Line.
And Bitch.
AND Start Me Up!

Date: May 25, 2015 17:40

For people that were there (I went to bed after the first 5-6 numbers being in the east coast), how was Keith on Sympathy for the Devil? Overall, I liked the set-list for a stadium show, but I wouldn't be hurt if they ditched SFTD as that tune, IMHO, has not had a decent solo in years.

Posted by: Powerage5 ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:44

My only real gripe about the setlist is I don't see why CYHMK and Midnight Rambler both had to be played. Assuming they're still playing CYHMK in around 11 minutes and Rambler in 13-14 mins, those two songs took up nearly a quarter of the show. Now, I love Rambler and it's probably my favorite of the staples they play at every show, but I don't see why not drop it for this tour, have CYHMK as the long jam song, and that frees up space for either two more SF songs, or one more SF song and another non-SF rotating song. One small tweak would make us hardcore fans happier by playing more of Sticky Fingers (As well as making the setlist one song longer), and I doubt any casual fans would leave the show saying "Yeah, it was a good show, but I can't believe they didn't play Midnight Rambler". It's not exactly like they'd be skipping JJF or Satisfaction.

Otherwise, I think this set is about as good as you can ask for from a stadium gig.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:47

ROPENI
DandelionPowderman
EddieByword
ROPENI

Yes,the only you may argue about is Doom,but also has been played to death since it came out,and for me at least is not a very good song,but hey what do l know?..winking smiley

Well, this American setlist has about 80 percent warhorses as opposed to the European and Australian one that had about 90.
It's the second part of the show, from HTW and onwards, that is too warhorse infested. Which is a shame.

Posted by: KeithFnRichards ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:48

There's honestly an argument over what the band is playing? Really!?!?! They're the Rolling Fn Stones. They can do whatever they want. I'm just happy that they decided to come to Atlanta this tour. Atlanta has been skipped on their larger market tours and haven't been here since 1995. And where I hope Keith lives forever I don't know if they'll be back before 2025. So I'm going to enjoy the hell out of every minute I get to see them on June 9th and be thankful.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 25, 2015 17:49

Dreamer
EddieByword
ROPENI

I agree it could be more diverse. Oh yes. But ADTL isn't a warhorse and the way they played it was terrific. So was MM. Warhorses: JJF sounded ok to me.
Not that I would pay $ 800 to see them play but I can imagine people would.

Yes ADTL is of course fairly rare, hope they rotate it with Silver train though..

If it was me.... ok..20 songs minus keith's two leaves 18.
I would rotate 6 songs from SF per show, 6 deeper cuts and 6 warhorses. (Brown sugar would count as a SF songs rather tha warhorse so in reality they could still have 7 warhorses) unless they dropped it for a night...

No, I wouldn't pay that either, according to this.... [www.thisismoney.co.uk] .....the £4 I paid for this setlist at Knebworth in 1976 (& 5 other bands inc. Lynyrd Skynyrd) should translate to £30 ($50) today....

1. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
2. Ain't Too Proud to Beg
3. If You Can't Rock Me
3. Get Off Of My Cloud
4. Hand Of Fate
5. Around And Around
6. Little Red Rooster
7. Stray Cat Blues
8. Hey Negrita
9. Hot Stuff
10. Fool to Cry
11. Star Star
12. Let's Spend the Night Together
13. You Gotta Move
14. You Can't Always Get What You Want
15. Dead Flowers
16. Route 66
17. Wild Horses
18. Honky Tonk Women
19. (Country Honk)
20. Tumbling Dice
21. Happy
22. Nothing From Nothing
23. Outa Space
24. Midnight Rambler
25. It's Only Rock'n Roll (But I Like It)
26. Brown Sugar
27. Rip This Joint
28. Jumping Jack Flash
29. Street Fighting Man

I'm not suggesting they should do this many - age and all that - but this setlist shows a diffrent possibility and also, there were 250,00 people there so that dispels the notion that they have to play the unimaginative setlists they do because there's a big crowd....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home