Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH: GHS vs. IORR
Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:49

Goat's Head Soup VS It's Only Rock and Roll - track by track

Dancing with Mr. D vs. If You Can't Rock Me
Dacing with Mr D is the winner. Very good riff and something glam here.
I also love the outro. If you can't rock me is better live than in studio and is just a good rn'r track, nothing special.

100 Years Ago vs. Ain't Too Proud To Beg
100 Years ago wins. Love the final MT's solo very Greeny.

Coming Down Again vs. IORR.
IORR. So easy.

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo vs. Til The Next Time
Till the next time is a boring song. Doo Doo Doo is fantastic also live and it is one of the tracks that gives to the album a particular atmosphere that IORR has not got this is the point of the discussion.

Angie vs. Time Waits For No One
I don't know. Maybe TWFNO because of the solo (but it's not a perfect song). Angie is a great ballad; so Angie.

Silver Train vs. Luxury.
Silver Train wins: both are not great songs but just well played. I prefer Johnny winter's version of ST to the Stones' one. Luxury is just a filler.

Hide Your Love vs. Dance Little Sister
Hide Your Love: fantastic piano blues with a great guitar work.
In DLS they are an imitation of themselves.

Winter vs. If You Really Want To Be My Friend.
Winter another important track of GHS.

Can You Hear The Music vs. Short & Curlies
S&C very bluesy. CYHTM does not take off: It has no musical direction.
I always thought that the boys have imagined differently .

Star Star vs. Fingerprint File
FF. It has got news elements and a good bass riff. SS is a normal song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 21:53 by pepganzo.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:52

josepi
tiebreaker:

They both had bad covers but GHS came with a great poster.

I aintfraid of no goat!! ;)

Date: May 10, 2015 21:53

but dat goat did always look kind of pissed off... which I can understand

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 21:54 by Leonioid.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:58

I knew someone years ago that claimed to have that Goat's head, he said it wasn't real but was huge, with the horns nearly 3 feet high and would take a small van to move it....he wanted £3500 or it.........

Date: May 10, 2015 21:59

EddieByword
I knew someone years ago that claimed to have that Goat's head, he said it wasn't real but was huge, with the horns nearly 3 feet high and would take a small van to move it....he wanted £3500 or it.........
3 foot high horns!!!? MAN!!! That is a BIG goat!!!!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:02

Dancing With Mr. D vs. If You Can't Rock Me: Only because of Taylors playing on IYCRM

100 Years Ago vs Ain't Too Proud To Beg: By a long shot.

Coming Down Again vs IORR: Tough call, I've liked IORR forever and have recently come to appreciate CDA, but I'll go IORR since it's basically the only decent tune on that record.

Heartbreaker vs Till The Next Time: No comparison really

Angie vs Time Waits For No One: Again easy choice

Silver Train vs Luxury - If Luxury was better produced, better written and better performed it might have stood a chance...

Hide Your Love vs Dance Little Sister: Great piano wins every time.

Winter vs If You Really Want To Be My Friend: If anyone picks IYRWTBMF I will be shocked.

Can You Hear The Music vs Short and Curlies: Stones using effects to great effect?...sign me up

Star Star vs FingerPrint File: A tune they can't ruin by playing it too fast live gets my vote

So it's 8 to 2 in favor of GHS for me and the 2 really could have gone either way.

peace

Date: May 10, 2015 22:03

Leonioid
EddieByword

No, no, he said the whole head was prop/model.....

Date: May 10, 2015 22:07

EddieByword
Leonioid
EddieByword

Ah, but still pretty dang big... and you know what, I bet if it could
be authenticated it might be worth a lot more than £3500 these days...
worth maybe, heck I dont know... maybe 20 grand to the right buyer.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:12

Leonioid
I wish latebloomer a very happy Mothers day, from all she has told us, she is one of the best mothers in the world. I am being serious.

Happy Mother's Day LB :) You're the best!!!

Hey, thanks Leonioid. But, I'm nothing special as far as Mom's go...they are all still alive and not in jail, so I guess that counts for something. I did take them all to see the Stones, so extra points there, yes? smileys with beer

Date: May 10, 2015 22:15

latebloomer
Leonioid
I wish latebloomer a very happy Mothers day, from all she has told us, she is one of the best mothers in the world. I am being serious.

Hey, thanks Leonioid. But, I'm nothing special as far as Mom's go...they are all still alive and not in jail, so I guess that counts for something. I did take them all to see the Stones, so extra points there, yes? smileys with beer
LOTS of extra points for that... for all of those points. You're a great Mom. Happy Mothers Day :)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:17

If you're doing an album comparison, I don't understand the logic of basing it on comparing each track to the other albums's track of the same number. Unless its just for the sake of playing a fun little game. Then , that's fine. But What if you thought 100 years ago wasn't as good as ATPTB but better than Till the next Goodbye? Under this system, it wouldn't get any points. Its not really a measure of which album is better.

Date: May 10, 2015 22:17

Dancing With Mr. D vs. If You Can't Rock Me: Just - but I prefer the more evocative lyrics even if a bit tongue in cheek.

100 Years Ago vs Ain't Too Proud To Beg: No contest

Coming Down Again vs IORR: No reason, too different to compare directly but IORR, well, it has a website named after it.....

Heartbreaker vs Till The Next Time: TTNT is pretty but............

Angie vs Time Waits For No One: It pains me as Angie was the first Stones song I heard

Silver Train vs Luxury - just rocks and rolls like a fast train over the points

Hide Your Love vs Dance Little Sister: Tough one, but prefer a rocker here...

Winter vs If You Really Want To Be My Friend: No contest again...Winter is sublime

Can You Hear The Music vs Short and Curlies: Like a leftover from SMR and I love it...although SAC is fairly funny...

Star Star vs FingerPrint File: Star @#$%& is great rocker but FF...again, sublimely original one off.....

So...GHS 6 IORR 4

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:24

ugggh Oh, Ok fine :

Dancing with Mr. D, If You Can't Rock Me but they both are pretty weak as openers, they were better live.

100 Years Ago, ATPTB

Coming Down Again, Its Only Rock N Roll

Heart Breaker, Till The Next Time

Angie, Time Waits For No One

Silver Train, Luxury

Hide Your Love Dance Little Sister

Winter If You Really Want to Be My Friend

Can You Hear The Music Short and Curlies

Starfukcer Fingerprint File

Looks like a tie, and that seems about right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 22:28 by ryanpow.

Date: May 10, 2015 22:25

Leonioid
EddieByword
Leonioid
EddieByword

Ah, but still pretty dang big... and you know what, I bet if it could
be authenticated it might be worth a lot more than £3500 these days...
worth maybe, heck I dont know... maybe 20 grand to the right buyer.

Yeah, as I say, he said that, he said "you wouldn't be able to pick it up by yourself........"
That was about 13 years ago, so I don't even know if he's still alive....he used to sell bootlegs at record fairs all over the UK, but didn't look that healthy then.....lived in Great Bardfield in Essex, England.........

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:30

Naturalust
Dancing With Mr. D vs. If You Can't Rock Me: Only because of Taylors playing on IYCRM

100 Years Ago vs Ain't Too Proud To Beg: By a long shot.

Coming Down Again vs IORR: Tough call, I've liked IORR forever and have recently come to appreciate CDA, but I'll go IORR since it's basically the only decent tune on that record.

Heartbreaker vs Till The Next Time: No comparison really

Angie vs Time Waits For No One: Again easy choice

Silver Train vs Luxury - If Luxury was better produced, better written and better performed it might have stood a chance...

Hide Your Love vs Dance Little Sister: Great piano wins every time.

Winter vs If You Really Want To Be My Friend: If anyone picks IYRWTBMF I will be shocked.

Can You Hear The Music vs Short and Curlies: Stones using effects to great effect?...sign me up

Star Star vs FingerPrint File: A tune they can't ruin by playing it too fast live gets my vote

So it's 8 to 2 in favor of GHS for me and the 2 really could have gone either way.

peace

Again, funny that we both clearly prefer GHS, but for such different choices.

Those differences are (my choices)

* Dancing With Mr. D (if only because the 73 tour has proved it's a great song)
* Coming Down Again (great song, great feel; IORR is the end of the Taylor era and such a weak try)
* Time Waits For No One of course. Angie is sweet but too sentimental and superficial. Musically Time has so much more to offer.
* Hide Your Love vs. Dance Little Sister: a complete tie.
* Short and Curlies because it swings out of the pan (Dutch saying), CYHTM is a bit farfetched.
* Fingerprint File, because it has something to say and it convinces, while Star Star is the worst one on GHS and the worst song from the 1973 tour setlist (bad lyrics as well).

So my result is: 6 - 3 and one tie.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:32

Goats Head Soup has aged very well. Without the burden of having to follow Exile, it's a great album.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:32

That's it fingers...

Your logic is flawed and your theory a mess...too many unsound basis to go into but I'll single out this:

You hate CYHTM? Hate?
This song kills it because of Keith's Vibroverb tone alone. Mick Taylor's layered guitars ala Brian May...you HATE this? Jagger's just out of bed vocal delivery...

This flaw in your attack plan negates the rest of the argument.
That LP has got you by the balls...it's too bad

The Soup stands alone.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:38

I don´t compare Rolling Stones albums. I just listen to them.

Priest

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:40

CYHTM is an otherworldly experience that hits you when you least expect it.
I don't know what a vibroverb is, but it's fascinating. Almost like some freakish voice.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:44

latebloomer
Leonioid

Only extra points if Taylor was on Rambler cool smiley

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:47

treaclefingers
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente
And what do your personal ratings prove?

they totally prove I have an opinion.

But we know that already...

Did you though, really?

I swear.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:50

Nikkei
CYHTM is an otherworldly experience that hits you when you least expect it.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:55

treaclefingers
ChelseaGirls
Leonioid
stones2000
treaclefingers
Leonioid
At some point "Black and Blue" needs to be discussed,
it does not receive near enough attention and shirley feels left out.

Black and Blue has a problem in that it only has 8 tracks.

Maybe we could have it compete against one of the two double albums within Voodoo Lounge, Bridges or ABB?

Bridges and Bigger Bang are both awesome

Dang right they are...
and do not allow anyone to ever claim or convince you other wise.**

**Which basically means-
ignore people who are stuck, there is no fixing them, and no hope
of ever explaining to them why these are damn fine Stones albums too.

Once some people explained me why I should "Open my heart and let Jesus come in..."

and I guess that is the same thing here

let's be honest my life is better without Jesus and A Bigger Bang

Perhaps both could have been improved by some editing. For ABB, fewer tracks.

For Jesus, fewer disciples.

I'm open to other ideas.

I have forgiven Jesus but my mama used to say only Jesus can save us so I hope Jesus will help me in my weakness... Actually, Jesus and tequila, I am satisfied!

I have quoted at least four differents songs next time I'll try five.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 22:56 by ChelseaGirls.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 10, 2015 22:55

The count so far:

DWMD 3 IYCRM 6
1YA 7 ATPTB 2
CDA 4 IORR 5
DDDD 9 TTNT 0
A 6 TWFN 3 (big upset!)
ST 7 L 2
HYL 3 DLS 5 (with one tie)
W 8 IYRWT 1
CYHM 5 S&C 4
SS 5 FF 4

totals: GHS: 57 IORR: 32

tiebreaker (if needed): GHS

sorry columns not aligned. don't know how to fix it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 22:56 by josepi.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 10, 2015 23:02

kleermaker

* Coming Down Again (great song, great feel; IORR is the end of the Taylor era and such a weak try)
* Time Waits For No One of course. Angie is sweet but too sentimental and superficial. Musically Time has so much more to offer.
* Short and Curlies because it swings out of the pan (Dutch saying), CYHTM is a bit farfetched.
* Fingerprint File, because it has something to say and it convinces, while Star Star is the worst one on GHS and the worst song from the 1973 tour setlist (bad lyrics as well).

Well were not that far off because I could probably swing my votes on on DWMD and CDA....

But I have always loved Angie, it seems pretty heartfelt to me compared to TWFNO which seems corny and contrived both musically and lyrically. Angie has that great acoustic guitar and piano that's hard to dismiss. Of course I was probably 6 yrs old when I fell for it so what did I know about superficiality? Listening to it today the strings are a bit corny, but it cut me deep as a kid.

I'm also not a huge fan of Star Star but FF is just not a great tune imo, they just didn't get deep enough into the groove. It would have been great with Lowell George playing slide on it, though! It's about as close as the Little Feat groove they ever got, reminds me of this one a bit and I wish they had given it a similar treatment.

peace

Posted by: Mikael ()
Date: May 10, 2015 23:13

Goat and IORR are the ones I listen to the most, and I love them both.

Track for track... weird but I´m game.

DWMD / IYCRAM - Rock me is a clear winner here
100 Years / Beg - ! 100 years ago on top
Coming Down / IORR ...the latter.
Doo Doo Doo /till the next goodbye... Doo Doo Doo
Angie / Time... Time is the one

Silver Train /Luxury... Silver Train! Fantastic song (though the alternate mixes are the better ones)
Hide Your Love / Dance little Sister .... as above.
Winter / If You Really... a tie. Two favorite ballads here.
Can You hear the music /Short and curlies .... CYHTM!
Star Star / Fingerprint File...Love them both; Star features Keithat his Chuck Berry-best....

...BUT Fingerprint File alone makes IORR the winner.

good night....sleep tight

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 23:18 by Mikael.

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 10, 2015 23:22

coming down again makes GHS the better album

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 10, 2015 23:25

If you compare them song by song it's a tie. But the album I prefer is GHS in the end.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 10, 2015 23:31

Naturalust
kleermaker

Well were not that far off because I could probably swing my votes on on DWMD and CDA....

But I have always loved Angie, it seems pretty heartfelt to me compared to TWFNO which seems corny and contrived both musically and lyrically. Angie has that great acoustic guitar and piano that's hard to dismiss. Of course I was probably 6 yrs old when I fell for it so what did I know about superficiality? Listening to it today the strings are a bit corny, but it cut me deep as a kid.

I'm also not a huge fan of Star Star but FF is just not a great tune imo, they just didn't get deep enough into the groove. It would have been great with Lowell George playing slide on it, though! It's about as close as the Little Feat groove they ever got, reminds me of this one a bit and I wish they had given it a similar treatment.

peace

Short and curlies or silver train Would been great with LG

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 11, 2015 00:14

I'm probably one of the few people that loves Dancing With Mr. D (and also realizes it's about death and not some Sympathy rip off). If you can't see the hypocrisy in the first few tracks of IORR then you don't understand an album as a whole story. "If you can't rock me, somebody will" into "I never want to leave you." Stop sending mixed signals damnit!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2098
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home