Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
ALBUM DEATH MATCH: GHS vs. IORR
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 10, 2015 19:44

OK...here goes...for the title:

Goat's Head Soup VS It's Only Rock and Roll - track by track

Dancing with Mr. D vs. If You Can't Rock Me ...winner by a KO - If You Can't Rock Me...not even close.

100 Years Ago vs. Ain't Too Proud To Beg ...winner by a country mile - Ain't Too Proud To Beg...it's a cover, but it's better than the original.

Coming Down Again vs. IORR ...ok, I acknowledge CDA's greatness, but this is the ALBUM version of IORR!...ok ok, I'll give this on points, Coming Down Again.

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo vs. Til The Next Time....winner on points, but as close as the last match...Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo.

We're all tied leading to the last track on side one...

Angie vs. Time Waits For No One ... KO...so easy, TWFNO

OK...IORR in the lead coming up on side two...

Silver Train vs. Luxury...much as I hate Silver Train, we'll go with a TKO because of Mick's faux accent on Luxury

OK, we're tied again

Hide Your Love vs. Dance Little Sister ...two B cuts...Dance Little Sister because it has energy.

Winter vs. If You Really Want To Be My Friend...Damn, I prefer IYRWTBMF, but I'm realistic, and we're all tied up.

Can You Hear The Music vs. Short & Curlies .... I almost don't want to give this one a winner because I so passionately hate both songs. At least we're being fair and battle the worst songs on each album...OK, I have to go for the energy hear, and at least Short & Curlies has a sense of humour. If I want to listen to Moonlight Mile I'll listen to it...not a lame wannabe.

OK, IORR in the lead with one song to go...this is much closer than I'd thought...

Star Star vs. Fingerprint File...this is very tight. Star Star is pretty one-dimensional though, and Fingerprint File is all funky and has Mick doing some pretty uncomfortable vocalizations towards the end...he should be noted for that.

CONCLUSION, IORR over GHS 6 to 4.

Sorry, but we've at least avoided being subjective about this.

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH: GHS vs. IORR
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 10, 2015 19:50

I predict great things for this thread,
it will go far in life, probably 10-15+ pages.

You're gonna go far kid thread.

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 10, 2015 19:52

oh lord I HATE this message board. If you say that you read Mein Kampf people will hate you and they ask you to stop your "propaganda" and then there is people like you who have a much bigger propaganda to promote .... I am sure you'll get a lot of answers and people will trust your "IORR is better than GHS" bullshit...

Date: May 10, 2015 19:56

^^^ =

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 10, 2015 19:56

You try too hard to get banned. BV won't even take you seriously if you try that hard.

Date: May 10, 2015 20:01

At some point "Black and Blue" needs to be discussed,
it does not receive near enough attention and shirley feels left out.

Date: May 10, 2015 20:01

Leonioid
I predict great things for this thread,
it will go far in life, probably 10-15+ pages.

You're gonna go far kid thread.

You're too kind kid!

Date: May 10, 2015 20:03

Leonioid

Black and Blue has a problem in that it only has 8 tracks.

Maybe we could have it compete against one of the two double albums within Voodoo Lounge, Bridges or ABB?

Date: May 10, 2015 20:03

Nikkei
You try too hard to get banned. BV won't even take you seriously if you try that hard.

I wonder why you answer to almost all my posts except those which are music-related?

Date: May 10, 2015 20:04

treaclefingers
Leonioid

Maybe we could have it compete against one of the two double albums within Voodoo Lounge, Bridges or ABB?

So a fight with one hand tied behind it's back, that sounds fair and reasonable.

Date: May 10, 2015 20:04

ChelseaGirls
Nikkei

I wonder why you answer to almost all my posts except those which are music-related?

Maybe because the music related ones are a bit hard to locate?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 10, 2015 20:05

Because I honestly have no idea what to say about Brahm's Die Schöne Marmelade.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 10, 2015 20:06

treaclefingers

Dancing with Mr. D vs. If You Can't Rock Me ...winner by a KO - If You Can't Rock Me...not even close.

100 Years Ago vs. Ain't Too Proud To Beg ...winner by a country mile - Ain't Too Proud To Beg...it's a cover, but it's better than the original.

Coming Down Again vs. IORR ...ok, I acknowledge CDA's greatness, but this is the ALBUM version of IORR!...ok ok, I'll give this on points, Coming Down Again. Much as I love CDA, it's a downer.

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo vs. Til The Next Time....winner on points, but as close as the last match...Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo.

Silver Train vs. Luxury...much as I hate Silver Train, we'll go with a TKO because of Mick's faux accent on Luxury

OK, we're tied again

Hide Your Love vs. Dance Little Sister ...two B cuts...Dance Little Sister because it has energy.

Winter vs. If You Really Want To Be My Friend...Damn, I prefer IYRWTBMF, but I'm realistic, and we're all tied up.

Can You Hear The Music vs. Short & Curlies .... I almost don't want to give this one a winner because I so passionately hate both songs. At least we're being fair and battle the worst songs on each album...OK, I have to go for the energy hear, and at least Short & Curlies has a sense of humour. If I want to listen to Moonlight Mile I'll listen to it...not a lame wannabe.

OK, IORR in the lead with one song to go...this is much closer than I'd thought...

Star Star vs. Fingerprint File...this is very tight. Star Star is pretty one-dimensional though, and Fingerprint File is all funky and has Mick doing some pretty uncomfortable vocalizations towards the end...he should be noted for that.

Okay Treacles, I'll play along. It's Mother's Day and to celebrate, I'm being a lazy ass today.

Agree, IYCRM

100 Years ago. A great Stones song, nuff said.

IORR - yes, CMA is too much of a downer, as much as I love it.

Doo, doo, doo, doo, doooooooooo.....

Angie, you're all a bunch of snobs...this is a great Mick ballad. grinning smiley

Luxury - Like he hasn't done fax accents before? If you want Silver Train, go with Winter's version

This one really is a tie, but I have to go with Hide your Love, the two Mick's got it going on this one.

Winter all the way.

CYHTM - no MM imitation, just far out on it's own.

Star Star - great rollicking rockin romp through Chuck Berry land

You can do the counting, I'm too lazy. winking smiley

Date: May 10, 2015 20:08

I wish latebloomer a very happy Mothers day, from all she has told us, she is one of the best mothers in the world. I am being serious.

Happy Mother's Day LB :) You're the best!!!

Date: May 10, 2015 20:11

latebloomer
treaclefingers

Coming Down Again vs. IORR ...ok, I acknowledge CDA's greatness, but this is the ALBUM version of IORR!...ok ok, I'll give this on points, Coming Down Again. Much as I love CDA, it's a downer.

OK, we're tied again

Okay Treacles, I'll play along. It's Mother's Day and to celebrate, I'm being a lazy ass today.

Agree, IYCRM

100 Years ago. A great Stones song, nuff said.

IORR - yes, CMA is too much of a downer, as much as I love it.

Doo, doo, doo, doo, doooooooooo.....

Angie, you're all a bunch of snobs...this is a great Mick ballad. grinning smiley

Luxury - Like he hasn't done fax accents before? If you want Silver Train, go with Winter's version

This one really is a tie, but I have to go with Hide your Love, the two Mick's got it going on this one.

Winter all the way.

CYHTM - no MM imitation, just far out on it's own.

Star Star - great rollicking rockin romp through Chuck Berry land

You can do the counting, I'm too lazy. winking smiley

Good analysis and Happy Mother's Day!

But your win factors Angie over TWFNO....and CYHTM? (OK, treat that as a question, CAN you actually hear it? Be careful, you may be having an aneurysm right now).

Anyway, even if I can accept the rest of your choices, those two indicate a proclivity towards beatlemania. Your contribution must thusly be discarded.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 10, 2015 20:41

As latebloomer's post shows, there's no way BUT subjective to be about it. Different favourites for different people, and the best you can hope for is to add up all the votes and see what most people like - but you still won't persuade anyone to prefer what they don't prefer, just because other people think so.

Anyway, here's mine (subjective as hell)

Dancing With Mr D vs If You Can't Rock Me: Like both, but IYCRM has much more oomph to it.

100 Years Ago vs Ain't Too Proud To Beg: Can't abide this particular cover, so 100 Years.

Coming Down Again vs IORR: a real apples-and-oranges one, and I love both of them, but I'll take CDA.

Heartbreaker vs Till The Next Time: Heartbreaker

Angie vs Time Waits For No One: Here I will take the Mick ballad, but it's close. Angie

Silver Train vs Luxury - I don't mind the accent at all: Mick's just singing in character, as he often does. Very close decision - Luxury.

Hide Your Love vs Dance Little Sister: Dance Little Sister

Winter vs If You Really Want To Be My Friend: Winter by a long way.

Can You Hear The Music vs Short and Curlies: CYHTM - never understood the hatred for this one.

Star Star vs FingerPrint File: Star Star for the sheer tearing energy of the thing.

I think that's 7:3 to GHS for me.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:06

Dancing with Mr. D vs. If You Can't Rock Me
A song with Mick Jagger buried deep down in the mix is not a good way to start of a record, but IFCRM is too good to be ruined by a crappy mixing.

100 Years Ago vs. Ain't too Proud To Beg
100 years is a very complete and dramatic song, ATPTB is highly uninteresting.

Coming Down Again vs. IORR ,
IORR is underwhelming on the record compared to what it can be in concert.

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo vs. Til The Next Time
Till The Next.. is a decent song but not really anything special, Doo Doo is one of their best rockers.

Angie vs. Time Waits For No One,
TWFNO is one of the most overrated songs on this board, it's good, but Angie is twice as good.

Silver Train vs. Luxury , Luxury is a very nice song, and one of the highlights on the IORR record, but so is Silver Train which on top of it was ridiculously good live in 73, but sadly not so much in 2014...

Hide Your Love vs. Dance Little Sister
Dance Little Sister is one of the most straight forward and simple yet satisfying rockers in music history, while Hide Your Love is just a decent blues jam.

Winter vs. If You Really Want To Be My Friend
IFYRWTBMF includes the best guitar solo Taylor ever did with the Stones, and I also dig Blue Magics backing vocals alot.

Can You Hear The Music vs. Short & Curlies
I don't remember anything at all about Short & Curlies except that it's really bad.
CYHTM is a song I never bothered listen to because of the weird intro, but when I eventually heard the whole song it was great.

Star Star vs. Fingerprint File
Which one of these two I prefer depends on the mood I'm in. But if I had to choose one of them to be included in the setlist for the Zip Code tour, it would be @#$%& since it could take IORR's place in the setlist.

Final score:

GHS: 7p IORR: 3p

Date: May 10, 2015 21:07

Nikkei
Because I honestly have no idea what to say about Brahm's Die Schöne Marmelade.

At least something about Bowie, The Smiths, The Kinks or Elliott Smith or Elvis........

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:18

treaclefingers
Leonioid

Bridges and Bigger Bang are both awesome

Date: May 10, 2015 21:19

Personally for me, in my opinion,
what I would say, how I feel about this is...

It is all about colors/smells and time/space and women and feels...
and how these songs make me feel and remember and how they take me
back to when I first met the songs... so it is less about how good of
a song they may be technically or how good/bad they are production wise
and more how they make me feel every time I hear them.

So without boring you with exactly who/why//when...

Goats Head Soup wins...
but Its Only Rock and Roll is a timeless great album full of good songs...

but for my heart and feels and time, space and people- GHS FTW

and then there is Rough Justice and why I like it so much too.

Date: May 10, 2015 21:23

stones2000
treaclefingers
Leonioid

Dang right they are...
and do not allow anyone to ever claim or convince you other wise.**

**Which basically means-
ignore people who are stuck, there is no fixing them, and no hope
of ever explaining to them why these are damn fine Stones albums too.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:23

And what do your personal ratings prove?

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:29

treaclefingers

Coming Down Again vs. IORR ...ok, I acknowledge CDA's greatness, but this is the ALBUM version of IORR!...ok ok, I'll give this on points, Coming Down Again.

OK, we're tied again

These are the only 2 albums from 1968 to today that I have never owned or paid much attention to. I can't even tell you why. So this thread interests me.

One mistake you are making Is the song vs song in order thing you are doing. That doesn't really answer which is the best album ever if someone agrees with your view of which in the better song in all cases.

Here is why. Example

Say Song 4 from album one is the best song on either album and its matched up against the weakest album 2 song. counts as one win for album 1.

Say Song 7 from album 2 barely beats song 7 from album 1 in your mind so now its 1-1 in your mind and a tie,when in reality this makes album one much better at this point.

When I see people getting annoyed at threads like this I know they take music way to seriously. I am really surprised that we haven't see the usual apples vs orange nonsense that people post in threads like these. Unless of course I just missed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 21:39 by stanlove.

Date: May 10, 2015 21:38

alimente

they totally prove I have an opinion.

Date: May 10, 2015 21:40

Leonioid
Personally for me, in my opinion,
what I would say, how I feel about this is...

It is all about colors/smells and time/space and women and feels...
and how these songs make me feel and remember and how they take me
back to when I first met the songs... so it is less about how good of
a song they may be technically or how good/bad they are production wise
and more how they make me feel every time I hear them.

So without boring you with exactly who/why//when...

You sir, are being presumptuous.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:42

treaclefingers
alimente

But we know that already...

Date: May 10, 2015 21:43

alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

But we know that already...

Did you though, really?

Date: May 10, 2015 21:45

Leonioid
stones2000
treaclefingers
Leonioid

Dang right they are...

**Which basically means-

Once some people explained me why I should "Open my heart and let Jesus come in..."

and I guess that is the same thing here

let's be honest my life is better without Jesus and A Bigger Bang

Date: May 10, 2015 21:46

ChelseaGirls
Leonioid
stones2000
treaclefingers
Leonioid

Dang right they are...

**Which basically means-

Once some people explained me why I should "Open my heart and let Jesus come in..."

and I guess that is the same thing here

let's be honest my life is better without Jesus and A Bigger Bang

Perhaps both could have been improved by some editing. For ABB, fewer tracks.

For Jesus, fewer disciples.

I'm open to other ideas.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:47

tiebreaker:

They both had bad covers but GHS came with a great poster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 21:48 by josepi.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home