Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...298299300301302303304305306307308Next
Current Page: 303 of 308
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: February 16, 2024 11:14

Mick singing You Don't Move Me would have been hilarious grinning smiley

No, I'm not thinking of my preferred performance. For me, Broken Hands is second rate Stones, in terms of writing, singing and playing. IMO, he should have avoided that on his first solo album. It's not bad, but it's nothing special, either.

The song I posted above (Never Fall In Love Again) has something special, imo, both in terms of writing and playing.

There is good stuff on his debut album, but it's fragmented, rushed (even though it took ages to make) and a pretty sterile recording, imo. So, yes, I still mean that quality-wise it's not up there with the best 15 RS studio albums. I could say that about Main Offender and Primitive Cool as well, btw.

Are there really people on here that never have heard of Sweet Thing?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 16, 2024 13:16

DandelionPowderman

A funny idea indeed, but for Mick to sing it - or about any Keith solo track - would have meant that he would have re-written it, both lyrically and melodically. There simply is too few words and the melody is way too sketchy for him. This tune exactly reminds me of Mick describing TALK IS CHEAP as sounding like Keith's demos he is offering him to finish. The tune would have sounded different if the Stones would have recorded it (and not just cooling down the the bloody drums). Probably Mick would have taken the key phrase and wrote a totally different story around it, something to do with difficult chicks or something...

Who knows, "You Don't Move Me" is a great Keith solo track as it is, but maybe there was a potential great Jagger/Richards Stones track lost there... But naturally this fits to about any Mick or Keith solo track - what would have the other Twin added to it?

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 13:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 16, 2024 13:50

DandelionPowderman

No, I'm not thinking of my preferred performance. For me, Broken Hands is second rate Stones, in terms of writing, singing and playing. IMO, he should have avoided that on his first solo album. It's not bad, but it's nothing special, either.

The song I posted above (Never Fall In Love Again) has something special, imo, both in terms of writing and playing.

There is good stuff on his debut album, but it's fragmented, rushed (even though it took ages to make) and a pretty sterile recording, imo. So, yes, I still mean that quality-wise it's not up there with the best 15 RS studio albums. I could say that about Main Offender and Primitive Cool as well, btw.

Songs like Turd on the Run or even Rip this Joint and others are on my favorite Stones album, but considering the songwriting… nothing special. That’s why people pale in comparison when they cover the Stones. Are you telling me Brown Sugar or Bitch or Dead Flowers are luminous masterpieces of the songwriting craft? No they’re fun rock songs… It’s Only RnR was the name of a song and album for a reason.

The Stones wrote good to great rock and roll songs (I don’t think rock n roll is “great songwriting” in the grand scheme) but elevated them with their attitude and performance to the point where another artist could never capture the songs they way they did.

Taylor wasn’t a bad songwriter by any means. He definitely should have hired a producer and a band for his debut album instead of shouldering all the burden onto himself. It stretched him into more roles than he needed to be, especially back in the 70’s when the technology wasn’t nearly as easy to self produce.

And no, I never got into any of the other Stones solo records. I don’t fancy Richards or Wood as singers and Jagger always sounded weak without the band. Taylor’s albums have excellent improvisational guitar parts over good rock songs.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 13:55 by TravelinMan.

Re: Mick Taylor Best Recordings Outside the Rolling Stones
Date: February 16, 2024 13:58

DandelionPowderman

Btw, I like the Stones's version of Leather Jacket.

I think the 'original' Stones take of it shows a lot of promise, but unfortunately about anything of that is lost in transition as far as Taylor's finished song goes... the one I find pretty dull.. One of those times that a bit of Jagger/Richards magic would have probably needed in order to give the song some distinction and purpose... What I think the Twins have (and for them being such outstanding song-writers), and I think, for example, Taylor on his own lacks, is the sort of vision what makes a track great. What exactly is needed and what not. Mick and Keith have a very good intuition of that. Like they have of song's drama. Some people might have even better or richer musical ideas than them, but The Twins are masters making diamonds of their own limited ones (or someone else's...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 14:07 by Doxa.

Date: February 16, 2024 14:22

TravelinMan
Are you telling me Brown Sugar or Bitch or Dead Flowers are luminous masterpieces of the songwriting craft?

I don't know what Dandie tells, but I tell that those three tunes are exactly luminous masterpieces of the songwriting craft. Even genius ones as far as rock and roll song-writing goes. If there is a basic course on rock song writing, those three could be used as examples of the craft at its best. Basically pretty simple songs if analyzed into elements, but here lies the genius - what sort of idiosyncratic intuition one needs to make those elements so wonderfully work together. The grasp of the whole that is always more than the sum of its parts. 'Kids, do not try this at home'.

- Doxa

Date: February 16, 2024 15:10

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Songs like Turd on the Run or even Rip this Joint and others are on my favorite Stones album, but considering the songwriting… nothing special. That’s why people pale in comparison when they cover the Stones. Are you telling me Brown Sugar or Bitch or Dead Flowers are luminous masterpieces of the songwriting craft? No they’re fun rock songs… It’s Only RnR was the name of a song and album for a reason.

The Stones wrote good to great rock and roll songs (I don’t think rock n roll is “great songwriting” in the grand scheme) but elevated them with their attitude and performance to the point where another artist could never capture the songs they way they did.

Taylor wasn’t a bad songwriter by any means. He definitely should have hired a producer and a band for his debut album instead of shouldering all the burden onto himself. It stretched him into more roles than he needed to be, especially back in the 70’s when the technology wasn’t nearly as easy to self produce.

And no, I never got into any of the other Stones solo records. I don’t fancy Richards or Wood as singers and Jagger always sounded weak without the band. Taylor’s albums have excellent improvisational guitar parts over good rock songs.

It's true that sometimes it's the energy and sound of it all that makes a song great - especially in rock'n'roll.

Other times, though, like with Paint It, Black, Miss You, Shine A Light and others it's the melodies that make the songs. Other times it might be the combination of lyrics and rhythm (SFTD) - and there are more examples of different angles of good songwriting, also by the Stones.

I don't think Mick and Keith's songwriting deserves to be categorised only within the former group.

Date: February 16, 2024 15:39

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

It's true that sometimes it's the energy and sound of it all that makes a song great - especially in rock'n'roll.

Other times, though, like with Paint It, Black, Miss You, Shine A Light and others it's the melodies that make the songs. Other times it might be the combination of lyrics and rhythm (SFTD) - and there are more examples of different angles of good songwriting, also by the Stones.

I don't think Mick and Keith's songwriting deserves to be categorised only within the former group.

I guess I take exception with your statement regarding no Taylor song would make a top 15 Stones record.

First issue, Taylor wouldn't have even been writing during the 60's, where many great Stones albums and songs were released, so that's not even a fair comparison. Their 60's songwriting was very poppy until Beggars — Let's Spend the Night Together for example is a great pop song, but it's not going to be canonized as a life changing piece of art. Satisfaction on the other hand are what happens when the Stones write something that bridges the best of multiple worlds with introspective lyrics. Sympathy came later, but is another example of an excellent all around song with captivating lyrics.

To fairly compare Taylor songs one must look at the records they would have been considered for. Goats Head Soup is both during that era and a top 15 Stones record. You mean to tell me that Can You Hear the Music couldn't have been dumped from that album and people would notice? C'mon now. Leather Jacket would have elevated that album being in place of that nonsensical throwaway. Looking at IORR, it's even easier to plug a Taylor song in for Dance Little Sister, Luxury, or the terrible Short & Curlies. Remember, the Stones would be playing the Taylor song so you have to envision that. Black and Blue is an inconsistent sideman mess with no vision. It gets much easier to plug a Taylor song in and add some roots back into their music.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 15:49 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 16, 2024 15:46

Fun fact- k.d. lang has as many songwriting credits with the Rolling Stones as Mick Taylor. Strange how things worked out....

Date: February 16, 2024 15:47

Doxa
TravelinMan
Are you telling me Brown Sugar or Bitch or Dead Flowers are luminous masterpieces of the songwriting craft?

I don't know what Dandie tells, but I tell that those three tunes are exactly luminous masterpieces of the songwriting craft. Even genius ones as far as rock and roll song-writing goes. If there is a basic course on rock song writing, those three could be used as examples of the craft at its best. Basically pretty simple songs if analyzed into elements, but here lies the genius - what sort of idiosyncratic intuition one needs to make those elements so wonderfully work together. The grasp of the whole that is always more than the sum of its parts. 'Kids, do not try this at home'.

- Doxa

Okay, fair point. What I meant was those songs aren't going to be mentioned in the same breath as Blowin' in the Wind by Dylan or Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

Don't get me wrong, the Stones have written some of the greatest rock songs ever. My point is they also elevate extremely marginal writing with their playing.

Date: February 16, 2024 15:47

roryfaninva
Fun fact- k.d. lang has as many songwriting credits with the Rolling Stones as Mick Taylor. Strange how things worked out....

What about Brian Jones?

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 16, 2024 15:52

kg lang never wrote any songs with Brian Jones....winking smiley

Date: February 16, 2024 15:58

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I guess I take exception with your statement regarding no Taylor song would make a top 15 Stones record.

First issue, Taylor wouldn't have even been writing during the 60's, where many great Stones albums and songs were released, so that's not even a fair comparison. Their 60's songwriting was very poppy until Beggars — Let's Spend the Night Together for example is a great pop song, but it's not going to be canonized as a life changing piece of art. Satisfaction on the other hand are what happens when the Stones write something that bridges the best of multiple worlds with introspective lyrics. Sympathy came later, but is another example of an excellent all around song with captivating lyrics.

To fairly compare Taylor songs one must look at the records they would have been considered for. Goats Head Soup is both during that era and a top 15 Stones record. You mean to tell me that Can You Hear the Music couldn't have been dumped from that album and people would notice? C'mon now. Leather Jacket would have elevated that album being in place of that nonsensical throwaway. Looking at IORR, it's even easier to plug a Taylor song in for Dance Little Sister, Luxury, or the terrible Short & Curlies. Remember, the Stones would be playing the Taylor song so you have to envision that. Black and Blue is an inconsistent sideman mess with no vision. It gets much easier to plug a Taylor song in and add some roots back into their music.

I guess we'll never know what Broken Hands, Giddy Up or Alabama would sound like with the Stones - or how they would fit on to the Stones's albums.

However, and that was partly my point, the different stuff (where it sounds like he puts his heart into it a little more) - although jam-based - is good (Spanish/Aminor), but wouldn't really fit on a Stones album/their best albums, imo.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 16, 2024 16:34

TheflyingDutchman
exilestones
I author in the above article, Paul Sexton, highlighted "Snowy Wood," Mick Taylor with John Mayall (1967).

What favorite tracks do you think are particularly great that Mick Taylor plays on outside the Rolling Stones? Officially released of not, it doesn't matter.

Thanks for your input.

Taylor did some great prog rock stuff in the eighties/early nineties sometimes even reminding me of Jeff Beck. Tracks like "Red Shoes". Some recordings with Dylan are outstanding -Masters of War, Wembley 1984, and his work with John Mayall 1983 was very good. There's a crazy concert floating on YouTube with Roger Troy on bass, 1986, where Taylor proved that he can carry a band, even being the only guitarist.

Trough his entire career he has proven to be an excellent blues/slide player, and always had very good melodic ideas.

His work with the Stones from 2012 and onwards -in my humble opinion- is as mediocre as the rest of the guitar section. Charlie Watts in 2013, praising Taylor, referred to the days when Taylor was still a member of the band. He must have noticed the difference. The rest is history. Uch.

I was thinking there may be a concert or performance 2012-2014 with the Stones that Taylor was particularly impressive. Taylor seemed to get better the longer he was back with the Stones. I remember someone raving about a great rendition of Midnight Rambler from Australia 2014.

Date: February 16, 2024 16:53

TheflyingDutchman

Taylor did some great prog rock stuff in the eighties/early nineties sometimes even reminding me of Jeff Beck. Tracks like "Red Shoes".

Thank you. I found "Red Shoes."

Some recordings with Dylan are outstanding -Masters of War, Wembley 1984,

Thanks again!
Masters of War (Live at Wembley Stadium, London, UK - July 1984)

and his work with John Mayall 1983 was very good.

I'll have to search what is out there with John Mayall 1983. Are there any great official or unofficial recordings I should look for?

I saw Mick Taylor with Alvin Lee opening for Black Sabbith. I think it was 1982. I could never find an excellent recording of that tour

There's a crazy concert floating on YouTube with Roger Troy on bass, 1986, where Taylor proved that he can carry a band, even being the only guitarist.

I'll look for a link.

Trough his entire career he has proven to be an excellent blues/slide player, and always had very good melodic ideas.

Yes. I saw Mick Taylor every chance I could.

Date: February 16, 2024 16:55

roryfaninva
One of the weaker tracks from Reg King's 1971 LP, more like an extended jam, but plenty of Mick Taylor guitar, which is never a bad thing...

smiling smiley Yes!

Also playing slide on a BB Blunder track from around the same time.

Thank you very much!

Date: February 16, 2024 17:02

The Worst.
Mick's playing on Real Live with Bob Dylan is superb.

"Highway 61 Revisited" is one of my favorites!

Real Live is a live album by American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, released on November 29, 1984, by Columbia Records. Recorded during the artist's 1984 European Tour, most of the album was recorded at Wembley Stadium on 7 July, but "License to Kill" and "Tombstone Blues" come from St James' Park, Newcastle on 5 July, and "I and I" and "Girl from the North Country" were recorded at Slane Castle, Ireland on 8 July. - wiki

Date: February 16, 2024 17:08

Taylor1
I don’t think his playing suited Dylan at all. I do love his CYHMK at Glastonbury.

The Glastonbury "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" was different than other times Taylor played the song live, solo.

I was surprised when Ron was playing Mick Taylor's solos on the 2013 leg of the tour. WTF? Taylor was there.

I hoped for more Taylor Stones songs when he was back with the Stones. I know "Silver Train" was dusted off a few times. Did "Silver Train" not work well? Did it deserve more tries? Did it work well and the Stones record the song and save it maybe for a future release/project?

Date: February 16, 2024 17:41

exilestones
The Worst.
Mick's playing on Real Live with Bob Dylan is superb.

"Highway 61 Revisited" is one of my favorites!

Apart from the entire band with our former "tell me" poster "Drummerboy" I like the way Taylor plays the Chuck Berry intro riff. Stones worthy.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 16, 2024 17:58

TheflyingDutchman
Like Bill Wyman said: "Never go back to your ex. It doesn't work"

And yet, he returned to the studio for HACKNEY DIAMONDS...

Date: February 16, 2024 18:11

Iggyrichards
I love his playing the Dylan album Infidels and "Real live". Infidels has some nice leads and fun interplay with Mark Knopfler and on real live his lead work is great.

Great team - Taylor and Knopfler.

Date: February 16, 2024 18:13

Rocky Dijon
TheflyingDutchman
Like Bill Wyman said: "Never go back to your ex. It doesn't work"

And yet, he returned to the studio for HACKNEY DIAMONDS...

But maybe he considered it as a quickie... you know, not further commitments, just a quick one for old time's sakes... Doesn't really count...

I don't think these dudes never been that strict about things like that...

(Reminds me of Marianne's story about meeting Mick once on a street after they had separated...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 18:16 by Doxa.

Date: February 16, 2024 18:14

TravellinMan
Stranger in Your Town is a nice live album.

Date: February 16, 2024 18:22

frenki09

All you need is (not love) but A Stone's Throw Japan edition.

Apparently not on YouTube.

Date: February 16, 2024 18:31

maidenlane
exilestones

Also, do you have any favorite tracks, live Mick Taylor played on with the Stones in 2012, 2013, & 2014?

Shortcut: To save an enormous amount of time, consider the handful of performances of Sway and CYHMK, and also the version of Satisfaction from San Jose (2013) where he played a rare lead.

Then decide on the best of the 54 Midnight Ramblers (one way into that is the 40 that have been reviewed (so far) here: [gimmemt.com]). There are embedded links there to videos for most of the songs for easy reference.

For MR, a good start would be all four 2012 shows with MT, and also Glastonbury and the Hyde Parks.

WOW! Thank you. I have my work cut out for me.

I didn't know Mick Taylor played lead on Satisfaction San Jose 2013.

Date: February 16, 2024 18:32

DandelionPowderman
I've always liked this one. However, the production on this album is not up to par, imo.

[www.youtube.com]

Very nice!

Date: February 16, 2024 18:37

Palace Revolution 2000
The 1st solo album was promising. But, like many other great players, he showed himself as not much of a writer.
Some of his best, most lyrical playing is with Carla Olsen.

His best work was not as a solo artist even though I enjoy a lot of the material. Other musicians brought out the best in Mick Taylor.

Date: February 16, 2024 18:38

roryfaninva

thumbs up

Date: February 16, 2024 18:40

Mathijs
I always liked his Stranger in This Town live album. And that is just about it, unfortunately.

Mathijs

8 Songs

Date: February 16, 2024 18:54

Date: February 16, 2024 18:58

Taylor1
Broken Hands, Giddy Up, Leather Jacket and Spanish A Minor are good songs

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...298299300301302303304305306307308Next
Current Page: 303 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home