Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...219220221222223224225226227228229...LastNext
Current Page: 224 of 307
Re: OT - Peter Karp and Mick Taylor
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 28, 2018 21:24

Thanks for this OpenG. So smooth and absolutely gorgeous.
His skills and sensitivity still intact, and his own style and sound.
Just brilliant imo, and very appreciated. Soul, brother. He's got it.
Oh yes he soars completely after a terrific wind up.
and a perfect resolution as the organ comes in and he hits some chords again.
Just wonderful imo.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 28, 2018 21:59

- Peter Karp and Mick Taylor
Date: December 28, 2018 21:18

[www.youtube.com]

The Turning Point" Peter Karp Band w/Mick Taylor - Taylor toured with Peter

MT's solo starts at 3.17 awesome

The note MT hits at 4.41 mark sent to the heavens - melodic wonderment

Date: December 28, 2018 22:05

Peter Karp and Mick Taylor
Date: December 28, 2018 21:18

[www.youtube.com]

The note MT hits at 4.41 mark sent to the heavens - melodic wonderment

MT solo is textbook up and down the fretboard

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: December 28, 2018 22:12

It sounds horrible but it's just frustrating to know Taylor is still capable of being a Stone but Ronnie is a Stone.
We never get to live in that world where the Stones make and play sublime music, God i wish he had never left the Stones, outside of personal life its my biggest disappointment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-28 22:17 by keithsman.

Date: December 28, 2018 22:25

"Get over it". Mick Taylor.

Date: December 28, 2018 23:12

TheflyingDutchman

I cant winking smiley

As much as i love Ronnie, Taylor is so much better, all the best Stones music recorded and live happened when Mick was in the band.

Date: December 28, 2018 23:28

MT's solo on The Turning Point is sublime beautiful and yes that's what he brought to the stones, a great counter punch to Keith's playing. I could listen to that solo all day.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: December 28, 2018 23:40

That was beautiful. I know the chords aren’t exactly YCAGWYW, but the solo was very much in the same feel that he used to do 45 years ago.

Date: December 28, 2018 23:56

keithsman
TheflyingDutchman

I cant winking smiley

As much as i love Ronnie, Taylor is so much better, all the best Stones music recorded and live happened when Mick was in the band.

I agree with you. Still Taylor left the band just like that, and prior to that they had to deal with Brian Jones who was out of order. Then a yes-man / showman like Ron Wood became the Stones's logical choice. Safety first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-29 00:17 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 29, 2018 00:07

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

That video was recorded around 2003 in NYC at The Bottom Line Club.

Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 29, 2018 01:19

My own great disappointment in a Rolling Stones context was the most limited use of Mick Taylor during the tour in 2013. In reality, only on "Midnight Rambler". I never understood why. Some posters seemed to indicate some health problems on the part of Mick Taylor. Still I am much in doubt about that, but I may have been ignorant. I have to admit I found that treatment of him quite ungenerous. Never before or since have I been so critical especially to Mick Jagger as in this connection. Still wondering if I was possibly unfair in my attitude then, more clearly expressed here than formerly.

During that period I also dreamt about Mick Taylor full scale taking part in a recording of a new studio album by the Stones and also taking part in a touring of such an album by the Stones as a three guitar band. In that case, dreaming also of how Mick Taylor could have contributed to revitalize surviving warhorses (in addition to many songs from the said possible studio album featured in setlists).

It was not to be. In my perspective, a sadly missed opportunity. Even more so when ongoing recording activity from time to time is more and more delayed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-29 01:21 by Witness.

Date: December 29, 2018 01:54

Witness
My own great disappointment in a Rolling Stones context was the most limited use of Mick Taylor during the tour in 2013. In reality, only on "Midnight Rambler". I never understood why. Some posters seemed to indicate some health problems on the part of Mick Taylor. Still I am much in doubt about that, but I may have been ignorant. I have to admit I found that treatment of him quite ungenerous. Never before or since have I been so critical especially to Mick Jagger as in this connection. Still wondering if I was possibly unfair in my attitude then, more clearly expressed here than formerly.

During that period I also dreamt about Mick Taylor full scale taking part in a recording of a new studio album by the Stones and also taking part in a touring of such an album by the Stones as a three guitar band. In that case, dreaming also of how Mick Taylor could have contributed to revitalize surviving warhorses (in addition to many songs from the said possible studio album featured in setlists).

It was not to be. In my perspective, a sadly missed opportunity. Even more so when ongoing recording activity from time to time is more and more delayed.

The Rolling Stones could definitely have used a player like Mick Taylor when they recorded the old blues songs "Blue and Lonesome " tunes in Rolling Stones fashion.They invited Clapton for one song instead. The 2013 Midnight Rambler versions sounded like a "staged" rehash of Brussels'73 to me, Brussels-Lite. They cannot do that anymore, with or without Taylor. That also goes for the other Taylor era warhorses. Too complicated, musically these days. IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-29 01:58 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: December 29, 2018 02:04

TheflyingDutchman
keithsman
TheflyingDutchman

I cant winking smiley

I agree with you. Still Taylor left the band just like that, and prior to that they had to deal with Brian Jones who was out of order. Then a yes-man / showman like Ron Wood became the Stones's logical choice. Safety first.

Yes Ronnie should go down in history as the mother of yes men, even with £80 million in the bank and at 71 years of age he still keeps saying yes.
Pity actually because the last thing in the world Mick & Keith could use is a yes man, same goes for Don another yes man, useless to them.

Date: December 29, 2018 02:11

keithsman
TheflyingDutchman
keithsman
TheflyingDutchman

I cant winking smiley

Yes Ronnie should go down in history as the mother of yes men, even with £80 million in the bank and at 71 years of age he still keeps saying yes.
Pity actually because the last thing in the world Mick & Keith could use is a yes man, same goes for Don another yes man, useless to them.

Don't you think that Keith and Mick are the real yes-man these days, with Wood and Watts right after them? WtF, people have fun.

Date: December 29, 2018 02:20

Witness

Agreed Witness, such a missed opportunity with him playing so well, it must have broke his heart to be used so sparingly, i can't work out what went on there, Keith seemed to want to bring him in the picture more ( Slipping Away, Satisfaction ) but Mick not so much for some reason, cutting his solo's short and dropping CYHMK and Sway from the set-list. I thought the most humiliating thing was when he had an acoustic on Satisfaction while Keith fumbled his way through the solo's.

Date: December 29, 2018 02:29

TheflyingDutchman
keithsman
TheflyingDutchman
keithsman
TheflyingDutchman

I cant winking smiley

Don't you think that Keith and Mick are the real yes-man these days, with Wood and Watts right after them? WtF, people have fun.

I think what you are saying is "don't you think they ALL sold out" ? Yes i think they did.
As for Ronnie being a yes man you said it first winking smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 29, 2018 03:25

Ungenerous? My guess is that he was paid better for his Stones cameos than he was for any touring gig since he quit.

Remember, he chose to leave. So that's on him. And the Stones rolled on, for better or worse.

Date: December 29, 2018 04:13

What I was hoping for during the 50 tour with MT was to hear him play on some of the Ron Wood era songs and see how he would bring to life some of that material We can pull out Brussels Affair to get the war horses

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 29, 2018 04:22

Oh no not this again

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 29, 2018 07:29

keithsman
Witness

Agreed Witness, such a missed opportunity with him playing so well, it must have broke his heart to be used so sparingly, i can't work out what went on there, Keith seemed to want to bring him in the picture more ( Slipping Away, Satisfaction ) but Mick not so much for some reason, cutting his solo's short and dropping CYHMK and Sway from the set-list. I thought the most humiliating thing was when he had an acoustic on Satisfaction while Keith fumbled his way through the solo's.

thumbs up

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: December 29, 2018 10:31

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

MT at Arthurs Club With Peter Karp

I never knew MT played Little Wing starts at 25.19.

All Snowy White and no Taylor on that song? Also no Peter Karp.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: December 29, 2018 11:07

smokeydusky
OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

MT at Arthurs Club With Peter Karp

I never knew MT played Little Wing starts at 25.19.

All Snowy White and no Taylor on that song? Also no Peter Karp.

[www.youtube.com]

That's exactly what I was going to say...I'm sure OpenG has got this recording both on video and audio...

950404A 4th April: French TV (French Supervision) ‘Mick Taylor En Concert’,
Geneve, Switzerland, Arthur’s Club. Incl.
- You Gotta Move (Fred McDowell/Rev. Gary Davis)
- I Wonder Why (Albert King)
- Can’t You Hear Me Knocking (MJ/KR)
Line-up: MT (voc, gtr)/Snowy White (gtr)/Kuma Harada (bass)/John ‘Rabbit’
Bundrick (keyb)/Jeffrey Allen (dr)
Note: Telecast in June 1995. Also 'You Shook Me' was played and recorded, but
remained unaired until French TV (M6) did a re-broadcast in May 2000.

000512A 12th May: French TV ( ) ‘Mick Taylor En Concert’. Incl.
- You Gotta Move (Fred McDowell/Rev. Gary Davis) -Geneve 4.4.95
- I Wonder Why (Albert King) -Geneve 4.4.95
- You Shook Me (Willie Dixon) -Geneve 4.4.95
- Can’t You Hear Me Knocking (MJ/KR) -Geneve 4.4.95
Note: You Shook Me was previously unaired in it’s entirety.

www.nzentgraf.de

you can watch the complete show here:
[www.youtube.com]

I saw Mick Taylor with Snowy White in April 1996 - and it was Snowy White who saved the show...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-29 11:11 by Norbert.

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: December 29, 2018 15:21

Thanks I was hesitant to say MT on little Wing but at the end of the song the singer says faintly thanks Mick.

The singer to me sounded like Peter Karp. Sorry to all

Date: December 29, 2018 16:41

Nothing like a good old fashioned Taylor vs Wood sparring match. Just to stay limber and fit. No one really cares...

Apart from that though: I wouldn't call Ron Wood a Yes-Man at all. I think he actually took way more of sh*t from Keith, than Mick. Usually it seems to be the other way around. But looking back I think he just knew what it took to keep the band afloat. It is probably true to say that he had a lot to do with keeping the Stones Rolling. Also - he was just a real happy drunk and doper. So a lot of him 'agreeing' was him just saying "Hell yeah".
Because now that he has cleaned up, he has become very focused, and IMO at least the"best" Stone.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: December 29, 2018 17:23

hopkins
keithsman
Witness

thumbs up

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 29, 2018 17:24

Palace Revolution 2000
I wouldn't call Ron Wood a Yes-Man at all. I think he actually took way more of sh*t from Keith, than Mick. Usually it seems to be the other way around. But looking back I think he just knew what it took to keep the band afloat. It is probably true to say that he had a lot to do with keeping the Stones Rolling. Also - he was just a real happy drunk and doper. So a lot of him 'agreeing' was him just saying "Hell yeah"

well, he's the one in the band that maybe needs (or needed) the job more than any other core band member. Thus he very much interested to keep the band together

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: December 29, 2018 17:25

Lots of better insiders on this board but I’m not sure Mick was in the best of shape on this tour to be completely reliable for a full scale 3 guitar approach - particularly when Keith was a bit wobbly too

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 29, 2018 17:49

I also would have loved it if Mr. Taylor had returned both for STEEL WHEELS (an idea that was tossed around had Bill not acquiesced) and certainly to have played on everything from 2012 forward. Just as I would have loved Bill to have come back full-time. The December 2011 rehearsals seemed to have intended a line-up with Bill, Mick Taylor, and Ben Waters. That sounds like perfection to me.

That said, despite the sadly limited role Mr. Taylor was given, if we're going to mention bighearted Keith using him on "Slipping Away" perhaps we should also mention bighearted Mick using him on "Streets of Love." I know, that's an example of facts not fitting the narrative.

Speaking of narratives, some have suggested his use on those two songs was an example of Taylor being used as a pawn between the Glimmer Twins which ultimately resulted in his being removed entirely. Truth or speculation? Who can say?

Final point, while I understand being miffed at someone of Taylor's talent and history with the band being handed an acoustic guitar for "Satisfaction," it's interesting to note the same was done with Blondie Chaplin and some fans still believe that acoustic guitar was the equivalent of him playing lead on the song. In the end it all just depends on what narrative you're trying to make the facts fit. If we post on a message board regularly, we're all guilty of it to some extent.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: December 29, 2018 18:27

I saw that video of MT playing with Peter Karp on The Turning Point an said wow Mick Taylor playing the solo over the G chord and thought of the mixed opportunity on the 50th tour. Mick taking the song and making it sublime.

Date: December 29, 2018 19:02

EJM
Lots of better insiders on this board but I’m not sure Mick was in the best of shape on this tour to be completely reliable for a full scale 3 guitar approach - particularly when Keith was a bit wobbly too

I thought at the time ( 50th anniversary tour ) that Mick Jagger brought Mick Taylor along for insurance, had Ronnie fell off the wagon again Mick Taylor was waiting in the wings, had Keith become sick Ronnie could replace keith's parts and Taylor do Ronnie's parts.

Clever move from Mick J because it kept Ronnie on his game and Keith too to some degree.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...219220221222223224225226227228229...LastNext
Current Page: 224 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home