Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...218219220221222223224225226227228...LastNext
Current Page: 223 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 13, 2018 20:20

[www.youtube.com]

MICK TAYLOR - "STRANGER IN THIS TOWN" - FULL ALBUM

A magnificent live album, recorded in various countries of Europe during the summer of 1989.

1. Stranger In This Town
2. I Wonder Why
3. Laundromat Blues
4. Red House/Goin' Down Slow
5. Jumpin' Jack Flash
6. Little Red Rooster
7. Goin' South
8. You Gotta Move

* Mick Taylor: Lead Guitar, Vocals
* Wilbur Bascomb: Bass
* Eric Parker: Drums
* Blondie Chaplin: Guitar
* Shane Fontayne: Guitar
* Joel Diamond: keyboards
* Max Middleton : keyboards

Date: December 16, 2018 00:54

One of the best moments in stones studio is when Jagger sets up MT's solo on Winter right after MJ sings

Sometimes I think about you, baby
Sometimes I cry about you, Lord
Yeah, and I wanna wrap my coat around you
Yeah, I wrap my coat around you

MT's melodic wonderment to the heavens -

[www.youtube.com]

Its winter time and
xmas coming in 10 days
And I wish I been out in California
When the lights on all the Christmas trees went out

Date: December 17, 2018 21:32

[www.kshe95.com]

Keith Richards talks Mick Taylor, Ron Wood releases new song, and more Stones news

September 11, 2015

Keith Richards revealed that he was secretly hoping that Mick Taylor would rejoin the Rolling Stones following his appearances on the band's recent 50 & Counting and 14 On Fire tours. Richard explained to Mojo, “I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realized that was just a hope, an idea. The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really. But ‘Midnight Rambler’ over the last year or so (with Taylor guesting) has been amazing. He’s a lot looser than he was the first time around. He’s got a lot more mileage under the belt and a better sense of humor about it all.”
As the nightly special guest, Mick Taylor was sadly underutilized on the tours, usually only for two tunes — his star turn on "Midnight Rambler" — and was later relegated to the acoustic guitar for the final encore of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." On some nights he was also featured on his signature tune "Can't You Hear Me Knocking."
We asked Mick Taylor if it was difficult in rehearsal to figure out how he, Keith Richards, and Ron Wood would weave three guitar parts into a two-guitar band: "We didn't even think about it. I mean, in a strange way, all three guitars kind of blend seamlessly into each other, y'know? Especially if the sound is really good on stage. It was actually good right from the off, y'know?"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2018 21:49

“I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band." - Keith

Imagine...what if... a shame it didn't work out that way, but I feel blessed to have experienced those shows six times - the last of the truly great shows imo.

‘Midnight Rambler’ over the last year or so (with Taylor guesting) has been amazing"

Indeed it was. thumbs up

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: December 17, 2018 23:43

Never too late. Imagine him playing the songs he originally did? Shine a light would really shine.Time Waits For No One would be amazing and appropriate. I don't think it has ever been performed live. Hmm...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 18, 2018 00:21

Indeed, if Nick Mason can tour the world with his replaceable drumming and a bunch of unknowns under the "Saucerful of Secrets" moniker, or whatever it's called, it's a shame Taylor can't do the same ! With zero (?) activity since he was uninvited in 2015 it sounds like it might be too late though...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 18, 2018 15:54

I don't think its ever too late to improve and enhance your music. I think this maybe their last time on a multi city tour and opportunity to let the music become spectacular. He is a Stone and probably familiar with most songs. However there is a question if he is even interested in rejoining if they did want he him to tour. I'm sure at his age touring may not be as attractive. As we all get older doing things in your mid 70's is not appealing. They are all old men and great grand daddys. As fans we tend to think about what our ears enjoy as opposed to the person making the music. I was hoping for more then an big hits show with the same set list .

Date: December 18, 2018 17:32

MT played Shine A Light on Late Night - Below is the awesome guitar licks

[www.youtube.com]

Mick Taylor - Shine A Light Solo - Jimmy Fallon show, 2012 May 9

Date: December 18, 2018 19:01

Thanks OpenG that was amazing. Here is a blistering Silver Train.

[youtu.be]

Date: December 18, 2018 19:22

To Hot For Snakes is a great live record that Silver Train is smoking .

Also Out Their is Sway

[www.youtube.com]

Has to be one of the greatest solos - MT maintains control over the entire masterpiece.

[www.youtube.com] Reap The Whirlwind

Date: December 18, 2018 19:32

[www.youtube.com]

You Can't Always Get What You Want" Live in Philadelphia, 1972

My fav version just like it better than Brusssels -

MT's octave riff over the chorus is so awesome besides his solo.

Date: December 18, 2018 19:36

OpenG

[www.youtube.com]

Yes nice, and he also played CYHMK as I mentioned in another thread:

Mick Taylor on Fallon - CYHMK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-18 19:37 by Hairball.

Date: December 18, 2018 19:38

e: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now... new
Date: December 18, 2018 19:36

OpenG

[www.youtube.com]

Yes nice, and he also played CYHMK as I mentioned in another thread:

Mick Taylor on Fallon - CYHMK

Yes thanks great

Date: December 18, 2018 19:40

Jaggers vocals on YCAGWYW on the philly special are awesome as well as Keith's back up vocals. I remember reading that Cris Robinson was blown away when he first listened to philly special

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 19, 2018 00:59

For anyone on FaceBook, just seen posts on there for Keith and Bobbys' Birthday on December 18th.
Not seen much news about Mick for some time and I do hope he will get out there playing again. thumbs up

Mick Taylor on FB

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 19, 2018 18:57

crawdaddy
For anyone on FaceBook, just seen posts on there for Keith and Bobbys' Birthday on December 18th.
Not seen much news about Mick for some time and I do hope he will get out there playing again. thumbs up

Mick Taylor on FB
Maybe he will join them for a single concert on this 2019 farewell tour. Some more money for his retirement....

Date: December 19, 2018 21:23

ed by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 19, 2018 18:57

crawdaddy
Not seen much news about Mick for some time and I do hope he will get out there playing again.

Mick Taylor on FB
Maybe he will join them for a single concert on this 2019 farewell tour. Some more money for his retirement....

Wow your awesome having that positive attitude - I have all but given up hope that MT would ever perform with them again based on how he was treated the last time( I know he was paid very well, but to not use him more was a big mistake) . Hell Keith says he wished MT would return and have a 3 guitar band that was all smoke and mirrors. In a way Chuck is the musical director and with MT in the mix, Keith and Jagger and Ronnie could take a rest and let MT fill in with some extended solos.
his vibrato,

Date: December 20, 2018 05:02

Honestly the set list is predictable. Same songs. It I get tho. At this age it is hard to remember the songs and repetition of the same songs probably helps but the tickets are pretty expensive. Wouldn't it be a real treat to the fans to have Taylor make those same old songs sound fresh again? Don't get me wrong I am a old Stones fan. Philly 1969. Younger folks don't realize how incredible the music was when he was in the band. The bootlegs don't come close. Still several months before this (maybe last) tour to ask him back. It would be a win win situation for the music and the fans. It will never happen tho. Nice to imagine anyhow.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 20, 2018 05:36

Hairball
“I wanted to see if it would blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band." - Keith

Imagine...what if... a shame it didn't work out that way, but I feel blessed to have experienced those shows six times - the last of the truly great shows imo.

‘Midnight Rambler’ over the last year or so (with Taylor guesting) has been amazing"

Indeed it was. thumbs up

The Stones could/should have let Taylor stay on and play from Midnight Rambler till the end of the show in the 2012-14 tours. They would have finished the show on an even higher note. A huge missed opportunity.

Date: December 20, 2018 17:46

Rich Robinson on Mick Taylor

The song is really what it comes down to, in my opinion,” insists Black Crowes guitarist Rich Robinson. The Crowes also enjoyed a golden period during the tenure of a gifted lead guitarist [Marc Ford], and then subsequently underwent transitional, wilderness years after parting ways with said lead guitarist before finding another fantastic fit in Luther Dickinson. “The song is the lightning in the bottle. And if everyone serves the song instead of themselves, it always works out great, musically. We’ve been fortunate. Luther came in and was really respectful of that.”
Robinson has probably forgotten more about The Rolling Stones than most people will ever know. After all, though they eventually developed their own distinct sound, the Crowes’ 1990 debut Shake Your Money Maker remains the best Stones record since Tattoo You.
“The thing about Mick Taylor,” Robinson says, “is there was such a warmth and a beauty to how he played. There was a flowery sort of overtone, but it was deep and heavy at the same time, if that’s even possible. I mean, Mick Taylor really had that.”

Date: December 20, 2018 17:47

Mick Taylor: The Stone Who Rolled Away

[www.pastemagazine.com]

Date: December 20, 2018 19:48

Express. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express.

The forgotten Stone: Mick Taylor still at odds with the world’s best known rock band
BITTER row that split the Rolling Stones 42 years ago has erupted again with an angry outburst on Facebook from the man they call the Forgotten Stone: guitarist Mick Taylor.
By Chris Roycroft-Davis
PUBLISHED: 22:17, Wed, Apr 6, 2016 | UPDATED: 22:32, Wed, Apr 6, 2016

Mick Taylor is still at odds with The Rolling Stones after 42 years
And all because he wasn’t invited to the opening of the Rolling Stones memorabilia exhibition at the swish Saatchi Gallery in London. Outside the gallery Sir Mick Jagger posed for pictures with Keith Richards, Ronnie Woods and Charlie Watts. Even former bass player Bill Wyman was there. But one person missing from the 500-strong guest list was Taylor, who posted on his social media page: “It appears they are using my name and likeness for another multimillion dollar making exercise.

"I can’t help wondering why nobody has invited me… they could not find it in their hearts to include Mick Taylor.” Taylor, 67, moaned that two tickets were left on the door only after a fan complained to the gallery. “My office received a reply at the eleventh hour that they would let me have two tickets, which needed to be collected before 3pm. They know I live overseas so this does not qualify as an invitation. They waited until it became a logistical impossibility to attend.”
Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger claims quitting EU 'could be beneficial'
In a stinging sign-off he wrote: “I’m part of the Stones’ history and legacy, which is what this retrospective exhibition is about, isn’t it? The band’s best work – in the studio and on stage – was done while I was involved.” So who is the Forgotten Stone and what has he been doing in the 42 years since he quit?
Taylor came from a working-class family in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, and learned to play the guitar in school bands. In 1965 he went to a John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers concert but star guitarist Eric “Slowhand” Clapton didn’t show. Taylor plucked up the courage in the interval to ask Mayall if he could play the second half. Mayall was so impressed that they swapped phone numbers.

GETTY
Mick split from the group after a bitter row
It was a helluva lot of fun, it was great. But I had to move on
Mick Taylor
A year later, with Clapton gone and a second guitarist about to leave, Mayall hired Taylor and the music world was agog at how a shy 17-year-old could replace Clapton. Meantime the Stones were recording a string of hits, vying with The Beatles for the No 1 one slot week after week. Then in 1969 Brian Jones was kicked out over his drug addiction and Mayall unselfishly recommended Taylor. Taylor believed he was being called in as a studio session musician but Jagger and Richards were so impressed they invited him back the next day to continue recording, including the mega-hit Honky Tonk Woman.
Taylor’s stage debut as a Stone, at 20, was a free concert in Hyde Park in July 1969. More than 250,000 people watched a show that turned into a tribute to Jones, who had died three days earlier. As Jagger and Richards hogged the spotlight Taylor was the curlyhaired lad at the back modestly getting on with his job. He was one of the most brilliant guitarists of the age, head and shoulders above Richards, and later said of the gig: “I just couldn’t believe how bad they sounded. Their timing was awful.

"They sounded like a typical bunch of guys in a garage. Playing out of tune and too loudly. I thought, ‘How is it possible that this band can make hit records?’” Taylor held his tongue and stayed with the Stones until 1974. It wasn’t easy – age was a problem, for example. Taylor was five years younger than Jagger and Richards, eight years younger than Charlie Watts and 12 years younger than Bill Wyman. And the music wasn’t challenging enough. He remembers being bored on stage and once said that 72 minutes of a Stones’ concert seemed to go on for hours.
“For me it was personally restricting. I’m not saying that it wasn’t fun being in the Stones. It was a helluva lot of fun, it was great. But I had to move on.” In his five years as a Stone, Taylor featured on albums such as Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main St and Jagger and Taylor formed a close musical relationship. In November 1973 things turned sour. Richards confronted him and said, “Oi! Taylor! You’re playing too f****** loud. I mean, you’re really good live, man, but you’re f****** useless in the studio.”

GETTY
The row as erupted again with an angry outburst on Facebook from Mick
Richards erased some of the tapes on which Taylor had recorded guitar parts. Just before It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll came out in 1974 Taylor told a journalist he had cowritten two of the tracks with Jagger but wasn’t being given a credit on the record sleeve. It bugged him – and still does to this day – and so at a party for the band he told Jagger he was quitting. “Let’s put it this way, without my contribution those songs would not have existed,” he says.
“We used to fight and argue all the time. I just felt like I’d had enough. I never felt I was gonna stay with the Stones for ever.” Taylor left to form a band with Jack Bruce, of Cream, and appeared on The Old Grey Whistle Test but the band disbanded after a year. What followed was a whirlwind. Taylor recorded a solo album which got to No 119 in the charts, toured Europe first with Ten Years After then with John Mayall
Mute

He teamed up with Mark Knopfler, of Dire Straits, to play on a live Bob Dylan album, then guested with the Grateful Dead at Madison Square Garden. Taylor lived in New York, Los Angeles and Miami as he battled addiction demons and toured as a session man with different bands. On the way he got married, divorced and fathered two daughters. In the mid- 1990s he returned to the UK and joined John Mayall for his 70th birthday concert with Eric Clapton.
Lots of session work followed, then in 2007 he toured America with the Experience Hendrix tribute band. Amazingly, despite all the bitterness, Taylor has maintained a musical relationship with the Stones, appearing in their 2012 Reunion, 50 & Counting... and 14 On Fire world tours. He’s also done recording sessions with them and after one astonishing solo Richards is said to have joked: “That’s why I never liked you, you b******!” With their last three tours grossing over £700million, Jagger is now worth an estimated £200million and Richards only a little less.
Taylor lives modestly: his last address in England was a semi in Suffolk and now he’s abroad but no one’s sure where. Taylor may be in the Rock ’n’ Roll Hall of Fame but he’s the Rolling Stone who gathered no dosh.

Date: December 21, 2018 01:33

Thank you for sharing those articles OpenG. Very enlightening. It seems other guitarists immediately recognize his brilliance and that incredible tone. Kinda @#$%& up he was not invited to the retrospective until the day of. He is a part of their legacy he helped to build.

It would be cool if he did a week in NYC doing Stones songs he made famous while they are in East rutherford. Something tells me he is so over it all and living his life peaceful retirement.I wish him well and much happiness!

Date: December 21, 2018 18:08

Why Mick Taylor Had To Go - Mojo Feb 27th 2015 - Glyn Johns had some negative feelings for Mick Taylor ?

[www.mojo4music.com]

Date: December 21, 2018 19:06

"We used to fight and argue all the time", that's what Mick Taylor stated in an interview.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 21, 2018 19:15

OpenG
Express. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express.

The forgotten Stone: Mick Taylor still at odds with the world’s best known rock band
BITTER row that split the Rolling Stones 42 years ago has erupted again with an angry outburst on Facebook from the man they call the Forgotten Stone: guitarist Mick Taylor.
By Chris Roycroft-Davis
PUBLISHED: 22:17, Wed, Apr 6, 2016 | UPDATED: 22:32, Wed, Apr 6, 2016

Mick Taylor is still at odds with The Rolling Stones after 42 years
And all because he wasn’t invited to the opening of the Rolling Stones memorabilia exhibition at the swish Saatchi Gallery in London. Outside the gallery Sir Mick Jagger posed for pictures with Keith Richards, Ronnie Woods and Charlie Watts. Even former bass player Bill Wyman was there. But one person missing from the 500-strong guest list was Taylor, who posted on his social media page: “It appears they are using my name and likeness for another multimillion dollar making exercise.

"I can’t help wondering why nobody has invited me… they could not find it in their hearts to include Mick Taylor.” Taylor, 67, moaned that two tickets were left on the door only after a fan complained to the gallery. “My office received a reply at the eleventh hour that they would let me have two tickets, which needed to be collected before 3pm. They know I live overseas so this does not qualify as an invitation. They waited until it became a logistical impossibility to attend.”
Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger claims quitting EU 'could be beneficial'
In a stinging sign-off he wrote: “I’m part of the Stones’ history and legacy, which is what this retrospective exhibition is about, isn’t it? The band’s best work – in the studio and on stage – was done while I was involved.” So who is the Forgotten Stone and what has he been doing in the 42 years since he quit?
Taylor came from a working-class family in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, and learned to play the guitar in school bands. In 1965 he went to a John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers concert but star guitarist Eric “Slowhand” Clapton didn’t show. Taylor plucked up the courage in the interval to ask Mayall if he could play the second half. Mayall was so impressed that they swapped phone numbers.

GETTY
Mick split from the group after a bitter row
It was a helluva lot of fun, it was great. But I had to move on
Mick Taylor
A year later, with Clapton gone and a second guitarist about to leave, Mayall hired Taylor and the music world was agog at how a shy 17-year-old could replace Clapton. Meantime the Stones were recording a string of hits, vying with The Beatles for the No 1 one slot week after week. Then in 1969 Brian Jones was kicked out over his drug addiction and Mayall unselfishly recommended Taylor. Taylor believed he was being called in as a studio session musician but Jagger and Richards were so impressed they invited him back the next day to continue recording, including the mega-hit Honky Tonk Woman.
Taylor’s stage debut as a Stone, at 20, was a free concert in Hyde Park in July 1969. More than 250,000 people watched a show that turned into a tribute to Jones, who had died three days earlier. As Jagger and Richards hogged the spotlight Taylor was the curlyhaired lad at the back modestly getting on with his job. He was one of the most brilliant guitarists of the age, head and shoulders above Richards, and later said of the gig: “I just couldn’t believe how bad they sounded. Their timing was awful.

"They sounded like a typical bunch of guys in a garage. Playing out of tune and too loudly. I thought, ‘How is it possible that this band can make hit records?’” Taylor held his tongue and stayed with the Stones until 1974. It wasn’t easy – age was a problem, for example. Taylor was five years younger than Jagger and Richards, eight years younger than Charlie Watts and 12 years younger than Bill Wyman. And the music wasn’t challenging enough. He remembers being bored on stage and once said that 72 minutes of a Stones’ concert seemed to go on for hours.
“For me it was personally restricting. I’m not saying that it wasn’t fun being in the Stones. It was a helluva lot of fun, it was great. But I had to move on.” In his five years as a Stone, Taylor featured on albums such as Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main St and Jagger and Taylor formed a close musical relationship. In November 1973 things turned sour. Richards confronted him and said, “Oi! Taylor! You’re playing too f****** loud. I mean, you’re really good live, man, but you’re f****** useless in the studio.”

GETTY
The row as erupted again with an angry outburst on Facebook from Mick
Richards erased some of the tapes on which Taylor had recorded guitar parts. Just before It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll came out in 1974 Taylor told a journalist he had cowritten two of the tracks with Jagger but wasn’t being given a credit on the record sleeve. It bugged him – and still does to this day – and so at a party for the band he told Jagger he was quitting. “Let’s put it this way, without my contribution those songs would not have existed,” he says.
“We used to fight and argue all the time. I just felt like I’d had enough. I never felt I was gonna stay with the Stones for ever.” Taylor left to form a band with Jack Bruce, of Cream, and appeared on The Old Grey Whistle Test but the band disbanded after a year. What followed was a whirlwind. Taylor recorded a solo album which got to No 119 in the charts, toured Europe first with Ten Years After then with John Mayall
Mute

He teamed up with Mark Knopfler, of Dire Straits, to play on a live Bob Dylan album, then guested with the Grateful Dead at Madison Square Garden. Taylor lived in New York, Los Angeles and Miami as he battled addiction demons and toured as a session man with different bands. On the way he got married, divorced and fathered two daughters. In the mid- 1990s he returned to the UK and joined John Mayall for his 70th birthday concert with Eric Clapton.
Lots of session work followed, then in 2007 he toured America with the Experience Hendrix tribute band. Amazingly, despite all the bitterness, Taylor has maintained a musical relationship with the Stones, appearing in their 2012 Reunion, 50 & Counting... and 14 On Fire world tours. He’s also done recording sessions with them and after one astonishing solo Richards is said to have joked: “That’s why I never liked you, you b******!” With their last three tours grossing over £700million, Jagger is now worth an estimated £200million and Richards only a little less.
Taylor lives modestly: his last address in England was a semi in Suffolk and now he’s abroad but no one’s sure where. Taylor may be in the Rock ’n’ Roll Hall of Fame but he’s the Rolling Stone who gathered no dosh.

Wrong , he now (dec 2018) lives, and has lived for years, in the North of Holland (the Netherlands), a little village i know and where he lives his life .
Jeroen

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: December 23, 2018 17:23

corriecas
Wrong , he now (dec 2018) lives, and has lived for years, in the North of Holland (the Netherlands), a little village i know and where he lives his life .
Jeroen

That's true... I also live in the north of Holland.
A few months ago I saw MT while shopping. smiling smiley

He's living his life quiet in his little village...

Date: December 23, 2018 18:22

ErwinH
corriecas
Jeroen

That's true... I also live in the north of Holland.
A few months ago I saw MT while shopping. smiling smiley

He's living his life quiet in his little village...

I bumped into Charlie Watts in Aken, Germany last year, a horse trade. He didn't recognise me. confused smiley

OT - Peter Karp and Mick Taylor
Date: December 28, 2018 21:18

[www.youtube.com]

The Turning Point" Peter Karp Band w/Mick Taylor - Taylor toured with Peter

MT's solo starts at 3.17 awesome

Re: OT - Peter Karp and Mick Taylor
Date: December 28, 2018 21:23

[www.youtube.com]

MT at Arthurs Club With Peter Karp

I never knew MT played Little Wing starts at 25.19.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...218219220221222223224225226227228...LastNext
Current Page: 223 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home