Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...187188189190191192193194195196197...LastNext
Current Page: 192 of 308
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 19, 2016 11:30

HMS
If a magazine would ask for the twenty greatest guitar players of all time, I doubt that his name gets mentioned. In fact there are dozens and dozens of more skilled guitar-players around. Let´s not overestimate MT´s value. No artists ever ask him to contribute to their recordings, except some obscure dutch or swedish blues-bands, that says enough about what other musicians think of MT. Not even the blues-revival some years ago could lift him up from the bottom. Only die-hard-fans are aware of his existence. Most of today´s music journalists dont even know his name, I guess.
what about Little Feat and Gong? Two obscure dutch bands yes

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 19, 2016 16:04

pepganzo
HMS
If a magazine would ask for the twenty greatest guitar players of all time, I doubt that his name gets mentioned. In fact there are dozens and dozens of more skilled guitar-players around. Let´s not overestimate MT´s value. No artists ever ask him to contribute to their recordings, except some obscure dutch or swedish blues-bands, that says enough about what other musicians think of MT. Not even the blues-revival some years ago could lift him up from the bottom. Only die-hard-fans are aware of his existence. Most of today´s music journalists dont even know his name, I guess.

And let's not forget that unknown Dutchman, Bob Dylan.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 19, 2016 16:20

Ross
pepganzo
HMS

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Mike Oldfield, Keith and Ronnie etc.

Of course he could have done better.... but probably too much dope and too many bottles like lots of other musicians.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 19, 2016 16:33

mtaylor
Maybe not top 20, but No. 37 on Rolling Stone. Not bad. Ronnie is not there at all

37 - Mick Taylor

mick taylor
Michael Putland/Getty Images
"I was in awe sometimes listening to Mick Taylor," Keith Richards wrote in his memoir. "Everything was there in his playing – the melodic touch, a beautiful sustain and a way of reading a song." Taylor was only 20 when the Rolling Stones recruited him from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers as the replacement for Brian Jones in 1969. His impact, on masterworks such as Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers, was immediate. The down-and-dirty slide on "Love in Vain"; the jaw-dropping precision on "All Down the Line" (where his playing brilliantly mimics the sound of a harmonica); the extended, Latin-jazz-inflected coda on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" – it's no accident that Taylor's stint coincided with the Stones' most consistently great recordings. "He was a very fluent, melodic player... and it gave me something to follow, to bang off," Mick Jagger said of Taylor, who left the band in 1974. "Some people think that's the best version of the band that existed."

Key Tracks: "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," "All Down the Line"

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I'm guessing they mean YA-YA'S version of "Love in Vain" since it's Ry Cooder on the studio take.

Date: May 19, 2016 16:47

Rocky Dijon
mtaylor
Maybe not top 20, but No. 37 on Rolling Stone. Not bad. Ronnie is not there at all

37 - Mick Taylor

mick taylor
Michael Putland/Getty Images
"I was in awe sometimes listening to Mick Taylor," Keith Richards wrote in his memoir. "Everything was there in his playing – the melodic touch, a beautiful sustain and a way of reading a song." Taylor was only 20 when the Rolling Stones recruited him from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers as the replacement for Brian Jones in 1969. His impact, on masterworks such as Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers, was immediate. The down-and-dirty slide on "Love in Vain"; the jaw-dropping precision on "All Down the Line" (where his playing brilliantly mimics the sound of a harmonica); the extended, Latin-jazz-inflected coda on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" – it's no accident that Taylor's stint coincided with the Stones' most consistently great recordings. "He was a very fluent, melodic player... and it gave me something to follow, to bang off," Mick Jagger said of Taylor, who left the band in 1974. "Some people think that's the best version of the band that existed."

Key Tracks: "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," "All Down the Line"

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I'm guessing they mean YA-YA'S version of "Love in Vain" since it's Ry Cooder on the studio take.

Keith plays the slide on the studio take smiling smiley

Date: May 19, 2016 18:11

Ross
pepganzo
HMS

yes of course. I also like his first solo album and a stone's throw. He is the Guitarist of John mayall band in general

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 19, 2016 21:15

did someone say "most of todays music journalists don't even know his [mick taylor's]name?

wow,i guess he doesn't really matter then. i mean if some 20something little douchebag who didn't grow up in the rock and roll era and has no idea what the music is all about and spends most of their day trying not to offend anyone doesn't write about him,well that settles it then.

i remember one of the first interviews i saw with slash. this dolt from mtv asked him " are you influenced by keith richards?"it was a typical know nothing question from a guy who someone told about the "stones-guns-new bad boys" thing.

slash said "not really,but by mick taylor quite a bit" the bozo was totally lost and slash had this smirk on his face-it was classic.

i think anybody who knows anything knows mick taylor is one of the baddest mthrfckrs to ever strap on a guitar,we don't need reporters and journalists to tell us if we're hip or not.

Date: May 19, 2016 21:18

lem motlow
did someone say "most of todays music journalists don't even know his [mick taylor's]name?

wow,i guess he doesn't really matter then. i mean if some 20something little douchebag who didn't grow up in the rock and roll era and has no idea what the music is all about and spends most of their day trying not to offend anyone doesn't write about him,well that settles it then.

i remember one of the first interviews i saw with slash. this dolt from mtv asked him " are you influenced by keith richards?"it was a typical know nothing question from a guy who someone told about the "stones-guns-new bad boys" thing.

slash said "not really,but by mick taylor quite a bit" the bozo was totally lost and slash had this smirk on his face-it was classic.

i think anybody who knows anything knows mick taylor is one of the baddest mthrfckrs to ever strap on a guitar,we don't need reporters and journalists to tell us if we're hip or not.
smileys with beer

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 19, 2016 22:16

His playing with the big boys like Oldfield, Dylan, Mayall, Bruce and so on happened decades ago.

And none of them seemed to feel any desire to play with him again. Maybe working with him is an unpleasant experience, who knows. Maybe once again his haughtiness is to blame, I dont know.

Posted by: TaylorYears ()
Date: May 19, 2016 23:10

HMS
His playing with the big boys like Oldfield, Dylan, Mayall, Bruce and so on happened decades ago.

And none of them seemed to feel any desire to play with him again. Maybe working with him is an unpleasant experience, who knows. Maybe once again his haughtiness is to blame, I dont know.

Funny, when someone has some negative thoughts about Bob Dylan, BV is here to tell it's a stupid comment. You are bashing Taylor in each and every way, all the time, and BV does not react. Maybe he can explain why?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 19, 2016 23:38

TaylorYears
HMS

Funny, when someone has some negative thoughts about Bob Dylan, BV is here to tell it's a stupid comment. You are bashing Taylor in each and every way, all the time, and BV does not react. Maybe he can explain why?

Normally I don't defend people..but in my opinion HSM is not bashing Taylor in this post ...he just doesn't know his behavior or attitude when playing in other bands......maybe he's a nice guy or maybe not............ and it's true he never really settle down in a band for a long time

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 19, 2016 23:40

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 19, 2016 23:40

I submitted that question last year! How cool.

Date: May 19, 2016 23:43

NICOS
TaylorYears
HMS

Normally I don't defend people..but in my opinion HSM is not bashing Taylor in this post ...he just doesn't know his behavior or attitude when playing in other bands......maybe he's a nice guy or maybe not............ and it's true he never really settle down in a band for a long time

I'm talking about his Taylor posts in general.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 19, 2016 23:48

TaylorYears
NICOS
TaylorYears
HMS

If you actually want an answer to your question, I believe that bv has stated many times that he prefers you just send him an email and ask him personally rather than attempting to discuss it in a thread.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 20, 2016 00:00

mr_dja
TaylorYears
NICOS
TaylorYears
HMS

If you actually want an answer to your question, I believe that bv has stated many times that he prefers you just send him an email and ask him personally rather than attempting to discuss it in a thread.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Thanks for pointing that out Mr DJA, but I'm not that kind of poster. Maybe BV himself takes notice. I'm quite surprised he didn't yet.

Date: May 20, 2016 00:44

TaylorYears
mr_dja
TaylorYears
NICOS
TaylorYears
HMS

Peace,
Mr DJA

Thanks for pointing that out Mr DJA, but I'm not that kind of poster. Maybe BV himself takes notice. I'm quite surprised he didn't yet.

Oh, he has. Many times. This thread is sort of a "best of/compilation" Taylor thread. One of the reasons for that is bashing and conflicts between different "camps" here at IORR.

So, if you wade through the 192 pages you'll find all sorts of reactions to posters who went too far. Many have new monikers today...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-20 10:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 20, 2016 09:48

DandelionPowderman
TaylorYears
mr_dja
TaylorYears
NICOS
TaylorYears
HMS

Peace,
Mr DJA

Oh, he has. Many times. This thread is sort of a "best of/compilation" Taylor thread. One of the reasons for that is bashing and conflicts between different "camps" here at IORR.

So, if you wade through the 192 pages you'll all sorts of reactions to posters who went too far. Many have new monikers today...

The conclusion is then, if a musician has not worked with other ones on a big scale, e.g. Ronnie, then it is because they are unpleasant to work with!!!

Date: May 20, 2016 10:23

mtaylor
DandelionPowderman
TaylorYears
mr_dja
TaylorYears
NICOS
TaylorYears
HMS

Peace,
Mr DJA

So, if you wade through the 192 pages you'll all sorts of reactions to posters who went too far. Many have new monikers today...

The conclusion is then, if a musician has not worked with other ones on a big scale, e.g. Ronnie, then it is because they are unpleasant to work with!!!

Not sure if I got you. Did you mean that some people here think that unless you haven't worked with all the stars in the world, like Ronnie has, you must be unpleasant to work with? smiling smiley

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 20, 2016 10:42

I seem to remember something about Mark Knopfler having some issues with Dylan during Infidels, seem to remember Knopfler not wanting to work with Dylan again.

Date: May 20, 2016 10:48

lapaz62
I seem to remember something about Mark Knopfler having some issues with Dylan during Infidels, seem to remember Knopfler not wanting to work with Dylan again.

Knopfler, who produced the album, went on tour, and Bob just finished the album with the sound engineer as the co-producer. Knopfler was pissed off and described the album as «sounding like a bad demo» (paraphrasing).

I never understood that, as I think the album sounds great, btw..

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 20, 2016 10:51

HMS

Once again you present speculation about Mick Taylor as person. That is legitimate as long as you indicate what it is speculation, like we all do on some subjects. Yours is quite unpleasant, though.

However, there is one point, where you give out a characterization of Mick Taylor not as speculation, but as a fact. And it is not for the first time. Despite other posters' reactions to the contrary, you don't abstain. You portray Mick Taylor as haughty.

It is high time that you don't only mention what serves as probable to yourself in your own outlook, but now give hardcore verification for your assumption that Mick Taylor be haughty.

Otherwise we must conclude that the source for that characterization is an insinuation, born solely in your dislike of Mick Taylor's style of guitar playing

Date: May 20, 2016 10:57

Witness
HMS

Once again you present speculation about Mick Taylor as person. That is legitimate as long as you indicate what it is speculation, like we all do on some subjects. Yours is quite unpleasant, though.

However, there is one point, where you give out a characterization of Mick Taylor not as speculation, but as a fact. And it is not for the first time. Despite other posters' reactions to the contrary, you don't abstain. You portray Mick Taylor as haughty.

It is high time that you don't only mention what serves as probable to yourself in your own outlook, but now give hardcore verification for your assumption that Mick Taylor be haughty.

Otherwise we must conclude that the source for that characterization is an insinuation, born solely in your dislike of Mick Taylor's style of guitar playing

He probably mixed up «haughty» with «humble» smiling smiley

At least, that's how people I know who have met him describe him. I have never heard him brag, saying that he is better than anyone or saying he is great in interviews, either.

The closest might be when he described how poor the Stones where when he joined them in 1969, but that was kinda true, for different reasons (new equipment, new tunings, new drugs? They were rusty) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-20 10:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 20, 2016 19:21

DandelionPowderman
lapaz62

Knopfler, who produced the album, went on tour, and Bob just finished the album with the sound engineer as the co-producer. Knopfler was pissed off and described the album as «sounding like a bad demo» (paraphrasing).

I never understood that, as I think the album sounds great, btw..

True, Infedels in my opinion has got a very good sound and of course very good songs. Love the tour that Mick did with Dylan.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2016 20:24

DandelionPowderman
Witness
HMS

He probably mixed up «haughty» with «humble» smiling smiley

At least, that's how people I know who have met him describe him. I have never heard him brag, saying that he is better than anyone or saying he is great in interviews, either.

The closest might be when he described how poor the Stones where when he joined them in 1969, but that was kinda true, for different reasons (new equipment, new tunings, new drugs? They were rusty) smiling smiley

I met him once after the 100 Club gig in London 2003.
After the show he was kind enough to sign peoples albums, etc., but all I wanted to do was thank him for a great show.
He smiled, shook my hand, and said thank you very much.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 20, 2016 20:48

Whenever I saw him he would make time to greet his fans after the show. The exception being the show with Ronnie in NYC - but that was a bit different.
Hairball, I saw the show at the 100 club too. Unfortunately he did not join the Stones at the Astoria though. I have seen the original Astoria setlist and there was a guest star scheduled to play so there must have been a last minute change.
The 100 Club show was great though.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 20, 2016 21:02

swimtothemoon
Whenever I saw him he would make time to greet his fans after the show. The exception being the show with Ronnie in NYC - but that was a bit different.
Hairball, I saw the show at the 100 club too. Unfortunately he did not join the Stones at the Astoria though. I have seen the original Astoria setlist and there was a guest star scheduled to play so there must have been a last minute change.

Yeah yeah I remember that - rumours were floating around all day surrounding the Astoria show. I recall waiting in the line, and throughout the day it's pretty much what everyone was talking about - I think some even reported seeing him come in for soundcheck? Rehearsing Little Red Rooster? Or maybe that was the tune on the setlist with 'special guest'? And there was a story that he missed soundcheck all together, and pissed Keith off. I don't know the facts, just going off distant memories...

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 20, 2016 22:15

Hairball
swimtothemoon

Yeah yeah I remember that - rumours were floating around all day surrounding the Astoria show. I recall waiting in the line, and throughout the day it's pretty much what everyone was talking about - I think some even reported seeing him come in for soundcheck? Rehearsing Little Red Rooster? Or maybe that was the tune on the setlist with 'special guest'? And there was a story that he missed soundcheck all together, and pissed Keith off. I don't know the facts, just going off distant memories...

Yes a long time ago. Rock me Baby was the song crossed off the setlist and others handwritten in place. This was Ronnie's set list because it has his guitar changes hand written as well. I had heard the stones put him up in their hotel. People who worked for the Stones were saying he was to play that night. Soooo..somthing must have Happened.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 20, 2016 23:29

swimtothemoon
Hairball
swimtothemoon

Yes a long time ago. Rock me Baby was the song crossed off the setlist and others handwritten in place. This was Ronnie's set list because it has his guitar changes hand written as well. I had heard the stones put him up in their hotel. People who worked for the Stones were saying he was to play that night. Soooo..somthing must have Happened.

Yes, but what?
Everybody and everything (even the setlist) was ready for Mick Taylor to play Rock Me Baby with The Stones that evening.
A real shame this did not happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-20 23:33 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 20, 2016 23:40

swimtothemoon
Soooo..somthing must have Happened.

Haughty behaviour, maybegrinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...187188189190191192193194195196197...LastNext
Current Page: 192 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home