Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 2, 2014 14:23

I'm having trouble believing Bill would do anything to be erased from Stones history. I think he's proud of his achievements. Anyhow I hope they can all get together again.

Date: December 2, 2014 14:45

frankotero
I'm having trouble believing Bill would do anything to be erased from Stones history. I think he's proud of his achievements. Anyhow I hope they can all get together again.

I don't know about being erased. He is mentioned, credited and there is a picture of him on my LA-copy.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 2, 2014 14:59

then why are they treating taylor so nice? he quit also

Date: December 2, 2014 15:02

melillo
then why are they treating taylor so nice? he quit also

Because he thought it was ok playing on only two songs, and Bill didn't?

I haven't heard any reports about Taylor being difficult, like Bill supposedly was, either...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 2, 2014 15:05

DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
Mathijs
TeddyB1018
As has been pointed out by others, Bill's own reps asked that his image not be exploited.

Which is utter bollocks.

Mathijs
Which is bollocks, that Bill would have 'his reps' do that? Or that the request was made?

I was wondering about that as well.

I think you should read that as: "He's demanding a sh*tload of money for every picture he's in ". Correct, Teddy?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 2, 2014 16:02

RoughJusticeOnYa
I think you should read that as: "He's demanding a sh*tload of money for every picture he's in ". Correct, Teddy?

That could make a bit of sense. I can picture Bill being protective of how his image is used, and making sure he's getting royalties for it (if possible), knowing how Jagger and record companies work. And Jagger may be like "Okay, give him credit here and there, include that picture, we'll give him this but not that...". Mostly a strictly professional/business matter.

Just me guessing of course.

Also, if Bill was in the band when the recording was made, and the photographer, Stones and/or record company own the photo, I don't see Bill having much say in the matter. But I'm no lawyer.

Date: December 2, 2014 16:58

You can always claim the rights to your own portrait;
including either prevent it from being used, or demand being compensated for it in case that it is used, as far as I know.
But I'm no lawyer either....
(and, indeed: a lot of it depends on the contractual engagements between the band & the individual members, I guess.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 2, 2014 17:14

RoughJusticeOnYa
including either prevent it from being used, or demand being compensated for it in case that it is used, as far as I know.
(and, indeed: a lot of it depends on the contractual engagements between the band & the individual members, I guess.)

yeah, I would have thought all of that would have been dealt with 'iron clad' back when he actually left the band. I would have thought they would have dealt with all those rights at that time.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 2, 2014 17:47

Similar to the Some Girls cover that had to reissued without celebrity photos?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 3, 2014 10:16

treaclefingers
RoughJusticeOnYa

yeah, I would have thought all of that would have been dealt with 'iron clad' back when he actually left the band. I would have thought they would have dealt with all those rights at that time.

As we've seen in the past sometimes those things that seemed settled can change when the Stones go with a new record company. Bill, a long time insider, could be hip to their tricks and simply won't put up with any BS. They probably have to get his permission for any new product like Hampton and LA Forum, and I imagine he could play hardball. It's not like he's starving and would easily cave to them. What a mess. Things seemed promising around the time of Crossfire Hurricane, with Bill participating in the project, and subsequent photo exhibit, and the O2 shows in 2012. He could be a part of these new releases and give some interesting memories. Unfortunately none of them are doing that for these two DVDs.

Date: December 3, 2014 10:25

<Unfortunately none of them are doing that for these two DVDs.>

True, but Mick and Keith already did that in a way, when the download releases of those shows came out.

LA:

Hampton:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-03 10:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: December 3, 2014 18:29

Don't know if it's have been said before - It's 30 pages! confused smiley

Got my vinyl copy today.
4 songs are missing on the LP. Doo Doo....,Wild Horses and the 2 by Billy Preston (The DVD is complete)
Checked my CD copy now and the CD's are complete.

Per Arne

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 3, 2014 21:02

Deltics
Ward records in Japan have a special edition that also includes the DVD soundtrack on CD.
[wardrecords.com]

Why is it that our Japanese friends get all the "extras"?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 00:16

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
Mathijs
TeddyB1018
As has been pointed out by others, Bill's own reps asked that his image not be exploited.

Which is utter bollocks.

Mathijs
Which is bollocks, that Bill would have 'his reps' do that? Or that the request was made?

I don't know any specifics about that part. The Stones have never been wonderful about money so that's reasonable speculation. But when everyone including Charlie thinks you're acting like a dick at reunion rehearsals, there's more to it. That's the part I heard about. Hell, Bill is nearly eighty, he has a right to be cranky around his old band mates who he nurses gripes about.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 4, 2014 01:17

TeddyB1018
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
Mathijs
TeddyB1018

Which is utter bollocks.

Mathijs

I don't know any specifics about that part. The Stones have never been wonderful about money so that's reasonable speculation. But when everyone including Charlie thinks you're acting like a dick at reunion rehearsals, there's more to it. That's the part I heard about. Hell, Bill is nearly eighty, he has a right to be cranky around his old band mates who he nurses gripes about.

Why would he act like a dick at rehearsals and then come out and complain that he wanted to do more but was only given two songs? Something's missing from this story.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 4, 2014 01:24

It's because there are no hard facts, just rumours and tidbits. Only they know the real reasons behind everything. The Wyman-Stones relationship is infinitely more complex than the Glimmers relationship and in my opinion just as interesting.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: December 4, 2014 01:39

I was pleased with my copy this and indeed. Impressed with the sound another performance.
I haven't watched the DVD yet but after finding out about the soundtrack extra CD version from Japan I have ordered it from Cdjapan should be here soon, hope it is as good as the usual version

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2014 03:29

71Tele
TeddyB1018
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
Mathijs
TeddyB1018

Which is utter bollocks.

Mathijs

Why would he act like a dick at rehearsals and then come out and complain that he wanted to do more but was only given two songs? Something's missing from this story.

Not necessarily...my dad's the same age and he's cranky all the time for no reason.

I bought him an 18 speed bike for Christmas several years ago, because he wanted a bike.

He looked at it on Christmas morning and said (not a word of a lie), "yeah, but it's not a 21 speed".

Some people can only complain, that's their comfort zone.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 4, 2014 05:20

71Tele
TeddyB1018

Why would he act like a dick at rehearsals and then come out and complain that he wanted to do more but was only given two songs?

Well that's probably why he was moody at the rehearsals: because he was ONLY doing 2 songs. No doubt Mick had already told Bill by that point how many songs he was doing--I'd bet he went along with it anyway because he already committed himself to it. It's clear now that he was offended by that.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 4, 2014 09:06

The reason Bill is more or less erased is that this is a company and a forever changing and reshaping art/showbiz/lifestyle/media project and they have to look forward.

When they use their legacy to please us hard core fans it's not worth showing a little extra respect for a guy like Bill. I actually understand why they don't want to mention Bill because that distracts and weakens their image. The last thing they want is to come off like some of the other 60s groups. They have to move forward all the time or they'll just turn into a nostalgia act instead of a Peter Pan act. The lure of virility and carelessness.
The Rolling Stones lifestyle and image doesnt care about Bill being their best musician in 1975-1982. He's just part of the soundtrack until he's gone and then he becomes a part of their legacy.

Sorry if I sound harsh, please don't report this, I'm not talking about specific members of the band and sure as hell hope Bill stays healthy etc. I'm just speculating. Not facts just thoughts.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: December 4, 2014 09:12

adotulipson
I was pleased with my copy this and indeed. Impressed with the sound another performance.
I haven't watched the DVD yet but after finding out about the soundtrack extra CD version from Japan I have ordered it from Cdjapan should be here soon, hope it is as good as the usual version

The version with the extra cds of the DVD soundtrack seem to only be available on the Ward Records site and they won't ship it out of Japan. After you posted I looked on Cdjapan and don't see the Ward version listed.

Posted by: gimmedanger ()
Date: December 4, 2014 10:17

Halup
adotulipson

The version with the extra cds of the DVD soundtrack seem to only be available on the Ward Records site and they won't ship it out of Japan. After you posted I looked on Cdjapan and don't see the Ward version listed.

I understand that there's a bigger market for physical releases in Japan but why in God's name does this always happen? I don't see the logic in it - surely if the product is available everywhere then people will buy it if they want to? Seems like a case of cutting the your nose to spite the face. I would buy this if it was available at home in the UK but I probably won't get a chance to buy one if I can only go through a middle man and there's a limited quantity of them.

I understand there are licenses for various media forms but it's always baffled me why material is restricted in certain regions or not released simultaneously around the world.

To the Stones - shut up and take my money already....

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 4, 2014 10:35

gimmedanger
Halup
adotulipson

I understand that there's a bigger market for physical releases in Japan but why in God's name does this always happen? I don't see the logic in it - surely if the product is available everywhere then people will buy it if they want to? Seems like a case of cutting the your nose to spite the face. I would buy this if it was available at home in the UK but I probably won't get a chance to buy one if I can only go through a middle man and there's a limited quantity of them.

I understand there are licenses for various media forms but it's always baffled me why material is restricted in certain regions or not released simultaneously around the world.

Agreed. And then they moan about people file sharing, which is usually the only way you can get this sort of thing.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 4, 2014 11:07

Justin
71Tele
TeddyB1018

Why would he act like a dick at rehearsals and then come out and complain that he wanted to do more but was only given two songs?

Well that's probably why he was moody at the rehearsals: because he was ONLY doing 2 songs. No doubt Mick had already told Bill by that point how many songs he was doing--I'd bet he went along with it anyway because he already committed himself to it. It's clear now that he was offended by that.

Or he acted weirdly at the rehearsals, and that's why he got only two songs...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 4, 2014 11:49

gimmedanger
Halup
adotulipson

Someone here once explained that since cds cost so much in Japan, extras are added to contrast "parallel imports".

C

Date: December 4, 2014 11:56

DandelionPowderman
Justin
71Tele
TeddyB1018

Or they acted weirdly towards him...no one knows what happened, it's all speculation. It's both too easy and ignorant of the complexities of the Stones as a business venture/band unit just to point the finger at Bill and assume that it was all his fault.

Date: December 4, 2014 11:57

Rollin92
DandelionPowderman
Justin
71Tele
TeddyB1018

Or they acted weirdly towards him...no one knows what happened, it's all speculation. It's both too easy and ignorant of the complexities of the Stones as a business venture/band unit just to point the finger at Bill and assume that it was all his fault.

When Teddy said he acted weirdly, I believe him. We don't have too many with access to what really happened round here (that wants to share it, anyway)...

Date: December 4, 2014 12:02

DandelionPowderman
Rollin92
DandelionPowderman
Justin
71Tele
TeddyB1018

When Teddy said he acted weirdly, I believe him. We don't have too many with access to what really happened round here (that wants to share it, anyway)...

Agreed. It's worth noting though that when Teddy first mentioned this in 2013, he said he could understand Bill's gripes/behaviour at the rehearsals. So who knows...

Date: December 4, 2014 12:04

Rollin92
DandelionPowderman
Rollin92
DandelionPowderman
Justin
71Tele
TeddyB1018

Agreed. It's worth noting though that when Teddy first mentioned this in 2013, he said he could understand Bill's gripes/behaviour at the rehearsals. So who knows...

Yeah, there's always another side to the story.

Date: December 4, 2014 12:34

treaclefingers
71Tele
TeddyB1018
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
Mathijs
TeddyB1018

Which is utter bollocks.

Mathijs

Not necessarily...my dad's the same age and he's cranky all the time for no reason.

I bought him an 18 speed bike for Christmas several years ago, because he wanted a bike.

He looked at it on Christmas morning and said (not a word of a lie), "yeah, but it's not a 21 speed".

Some people can only complain, that's their comfort zone.

Don't forget that Bill ALWAYS has been a bit of an outcast in the band;
going from a 'boring old fart' in the first half of his time with the Stones, to an 'anoying boring old fart' in the second half of it.
Anybody with a little it of insiders's knowledge knows that Bill's departure was'nt exactly rocking the other Stones' worlds, apart from the obvious musical issues it brought on the table. Both on a personal & emotional level, the other band members balanced between relief, indifference & mockery. "Good riddance" was the tenure of sentiments, in those days.
(DISCLAIMER: this is my personal interpretation of an insiders's testimony to me on the matter. I know no more, no less then what he told me. However, I know it's coming straight from the horse's mouth; so NO speculation whatsoever here.)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2155
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home