Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Date: December 5, 2014 19:34

treaclefingers
RoughJusticeOnYa
HEILOOBAAS
I may get flamed for saying this but remember I'll be all warm and you'll be flamed out! haha

I originally acquired the soundtrack to this show in 1978. Since then I have tried to watch the entire concert, only to give up somewhere around Billy's turn.

I'll provide a partial list of why I can't watch it.

1) Mick doesn't speak to the audience beyond monosyllabic utterances. When it's a good show (Seattle was a good show. I was in the front) Mick chats w/the audience between numbers and frequently one sees how funny, clever and witty he is. That's because he is relaxed that it's a good night.
If you watch closely (I watched this sober under the influence of nothing more powerful than Irish Breakfast Tea), his face is a hard grimace.
The first time things lighten up is before Tumbling Dice when Mick turns to face Charlie and smiles for the first time that night. It seems that things don't get any worse for him after that.
The only thing that stands out as to why Mick's attitude is bad is that I noticed during You Gotta Move, if Keith knew where he was, I would've been surprised. I've seen Keith play before (film, where closeups are possible) & although I knew he was gacked Higher than God, he was present.
In the LA75 film he's not present. & I think Mick was pissed because he saw himself carrying the show once again whilst Keith was out of it.
Billy Preston was Mick's touchstone in these cases, but even Billy appeared to have been fried.Ronnie was too new for Mick to place any burden on his shoulders other than the one he already had. So for the first hour, up through TD, it was Mick, Charlie and Bill.
Also, because The Rolling Stones are a band, they aren't Mick's backup band. Bu who could have listened to the music if this was the first time seeing them live? Mick doesn't attempt to steal the limelight from any band member; he's just one of history's legendary frontmen. But even though I make no claims to be a music critic like Mathijs, I can say there were wrong notes all over the place.

They all seemed tired. The natural response to that is that this film is of the 4th of 5 concerts in a row. However, in the entertainment biz, a pro never appears tired, they take care to rest enough so they can give the audience their money's worth. Yes, I know we're talking LA in 1975 and the druggie go round. That excuses nobody from getting so out of it and not sleeping so that their performance is well below standard.

The 13th has my favourite versions of HTW, YGTM, IORR & SFTD (I think the shrieks Mick lets out at the end of STFD's 13th performance is the cue to the stage crew to bring the stage back into the 'petals up' position).

It's sadly ironic that Seattle and Ft. Collins, two of the shows following LA w/in a week, were to drenched in vitality and bonhamie.

This isn't a criticism of the Stones, my band of choice 1973 - 1981 as much as it is a commentary on them being caught w/the trousers down on film in living colour.

I do wonder why Mick, whose drugs of choice are live performance and control (in that order) would allow a product I deem unacceptable even as a bootleg, to be officially released. Is it the € he needs?

And what fans that saw the band "earlier" don't seem to realise is, that the thrill of the moment might just have blured the vision of it a little bit... - and that, for the sake of their memories, they lift that (or those) moment(-s) in time to an almost divine & sacred level; creating some sort of 'holy grail'... Whereas people who don't have such memories to preserve, have a more distant, more objective vision of it all - they are able to see the whole picture. (Just a general reaction to your statement, HEILO; nothing personal.)

I don't need to have been around in de '60s or early '70s (I WAS, however, 'around' ever since the second half of the seventies, mind you - I know ALL there is to know about the 'raunchiness' of rock'n'roll in those days of old...) to know what the band sounded like; there's tapes & videos & ... - plenty to go by. Just like I don't need to have been around in the '30s, to appreciate Charlie Patton, or in the '50s, to know about 'the real' Muddy Waters. And I said it before, and I 'll say it again: their 1975 tour was shambles, musically; and especially this LA Forum performance was by no means a good gig. In fact: it was shameful by Rolling Stones standards; thru and thru.

Just MY opinion; feel free to disagree - but I'll stand by it.

thumbs up

I get tired of people justifying a bad show by saying, "but it's Rock'n'Roll".

Ludicrous. This show doesn't hold a candle to most other good shows. Can you honestly say it's on the same level as Brussels?

There are some ok things about it, and I enjoy it for what it is, but I greatly reduce my expectations. It's an interesting curio, but if I want something to enjoy listening to, heck, something I'll play when friends are over, it most certainly won't be this show.

The thing with Stones shows is that there always is something to enjoy.

Firstly, Brussels isn't a show, merely some songs from a show + selected performances from London.

Some of the things from Brussels, though, are not that great. All Down The Line, for instance, is butchered and Gimmie Shelter has a painful out of tune-guitar throughout (hence it was replaced with the London? version on other Europe 73-releases.

My point? There are great performances on LA 75 as well, that matches Brussels. However, the WHOLE show is too uneven to be classified as great.

Then again, that was probably the case with Brussels, too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 19:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:51

As I see it, they released LA75 only because it was the best pro shot recording available of that tour.

While I understand the point of view of those who were there or have a collection of boots (or both) that this was not a great show compared to others, if we see it with the eyes of a casual fan, this is a hell of a show.

C

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:06

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outthe chick in the yellow shirt after mick introduces billy preston oh yeah!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 23:00 by melillo.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 6, 2014 01:34

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
RoughJusticeOnYa
HEILOOBAAS
I may get flamed for saying this but remember I'll be all warm and you'll be flamed out! haha

I originally acquired the soundtrack to this show in 1978. Since then I have tried to watch the entire concert, only to give up somewhere around Billy's turn.

1) Mick doesn't speak to the audience beyond monosyllabic utterances. When it's a good show (Seattle was a good show. I was in the front) Mick chats w/the audience between numbers and frequently one sees how funny, clever and witty he is. That's because he is relaxed that it's a good night.
If you watch closely (I watched this sober under the influence of nothing more powerful than Irish Breakfast Tea), his face is a hard grimace.
The first time things lighten up is before Tumbling Dice when Mick turns to face Charlie and smiles for the first time that night. It seems that things don't get any worse for him after that.
The only thing that stands out as to why Mick's attitude is bad is that I noticed during You Gotta Move, if Keith knew where he was, I would've been surprised. I've seen Keith play before (film, where closeups are possible) & although I knew he was gacked Higher than God, he was present.
In the LA75 film he's not present. & I think Mick was pissed because he saw himself carrying the show once again whilst Keith was out of it.
Billy Preston was Mick's touchstone in these cases, but even Billy appeared to have been fried.Ronnie was too new for Mick to place any burden on his shoulders other than the one he already had. So for the first hour, up through TD, it was Mick, Charlie and Bill.
Also, because The Rolling Stones are a band, they aren't Mick's backup band. Bu who could have listened to the music if this was the first time seeing them live? Mick doesn't attempt to steal the limelight from any band member; he's just one of history's legendary frontmen. But even though I make no claims to be a music critic like Mathijs, I can say there were wrong notes all over the place.

They all seemed tired. The natural response to that is that this film is of the 4th of 5 concerts in a row. However, in the entertainment biz, a pro never appears tired, they take care to rest enough so they can give the audience their money's worth. Yes, I know we're talking LA in 1975 and the druggie go round. That excuses nobody from getting so out of it and not sleeping so that their performance is well below standard.

The 13th has my favourite versions of HTW, YGTM, IORR & SFTD (I think the shrieks Mick lets out at the end of STFD's 13th performance is the cue to the stage crew to bring the stage back into the 'petals up' position).

It's sadly ironic that Seattle and Ft. Collins, two of the shows following LA w/in a week, were to drenched in vitality and bonhamie.

This isn't a criticism of the Stones, my band of choice 1973 - 1981 as much as it is a commentary on them being caught w/the trousers down on film in living colour.

I do wonder why Mick, whose drugs of choice are live performance and control (in that order) would allow a product I deem unacceptable even as a bootleg, to be officially released. Is it the € he needs?

And what fans that saw the band "earlier" don't seem to realise is, that the thrill of the moment might just have blured the vision of it a little bit... - and that, for the sake of their memories, they lift that (or those) moment(-s) in time to an almost divine & sacred level; creating some sort of 'holy grail'... Whereas people who don't have such memories to preserve, have a more distant, more objective vision of it all - they are able to see the whole picture. (Just a general reaction to your statement, HEILO; nothing personal.)

I don't need to have been around in de '60s or early '70s (I WAS, however, 'around' ever since the second half of the seventies, mind you - I know ALL there is to know about the 'raunchiness' of rock'n'roll in those days of old...) to know what the band sounded like; there's tapes & videos & ... - plenty to go by. Just like I don't need to have been around in the '30s, to appreciate Charlie Patton, or in the '50s, to know about 'the real' Muddy Waters. And I said it before, and I 'll say it again: their 1975 tour was shambles, musically; and especially this LA Forum performance was by no means a good gig. In fact: it was shameful by Rolling Stones standards; thru and thru.

thumbs up

Ludicrous. This show doesn't hold a candle to most other good shows. Can you honestly say it's on the same level as Brussels?

There are some ok things about it, and I enjoy it for what it is, but I greatly reduce my expectations. It's an interesting curio, but if I want something to enjoy listening to, heck, something I'll play when friends are over, it most certainly won't be this show.

Firstly, Brussels isn't a show, merely some songs from a show + selected performances from London.

Some of the things from Brussels, though, are not that great. All Down The Line, for instance, is butchered and Gimmie Shelter has a painful out of tune-guitar throughout (hence it was replaced with the London? version on other Europe 73-releases.

My point? There are great performances on LA 75 as well, that matches Brussels. However, the WHOLE show is too uneven to be classified as great.

C'mon Dandie. ..All Down The Line is hardly "butchered" at Brussels.
We dont need to argue La 1975 v Brussels do we?
Brussels stands out above any show played by the stones after 1973.
The fact that MR, TD, ANGIE are widely regarded as some of their best ever live performances is enough to lift the whole show to mythical status.
Give me a "butchered" ADTL and an out of tune GS anyday!
I must say, however, the screetching end to SFM is nearly as irritating as a typical out of tune solo by Ron Wood....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 6, 2014 02:51

I've been able to watch the DVD twice and I get happier each time. This is a funky, stripped down Stones, without the horns and before the backup singers. Some songs don't work as well, Gimme Shelter, with the wah wah guitars, while If You Can't Rock Me is a joy to see and hear.

This is probably the best, maybe the only, pro-shot stop on the tour. It's a great snapshot of that band at that time. What kind of people are looking for perfection? Who needs to have Mick's voice be absolutely on target? With no 'mannerisms'? (Which, thank god, I have never been able to pick out).

Celebrate the damn thing.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 6, 2014 03:23

Altogether it is wonderful to have now an official document of every American Tour from 1972 to 1981. Just to look at them in a row - theoretically thinking, can anyone really do that - that presents an incredible story of a living and breathing band: every three years there is almost like a new band with different sounds and songs and looks. And four different Mick Jaggers. What an evolution! Now if we could get a whole show from 1969 (anything to be constructed out of Maysles material?), and why not ATLANTIC CITY 1989, the story would be almost complete.

Even though LADIES AND GENTLEMEN and L.A. FORUM do not present the best shows of the tour, unlike LIVE IN TEXAS and HAMPTON COLISEUM, they tell enough how the band was like in a given tour. Wonderful material.

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2014 04:11

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
RoughJusticeOnYa
HEILOOBAAS

thumbs up

I agree, and I'm not saying I don't enjoy watching it, warts and all. But let's agree to call it a wart without justifying it.

Date: December 6, 2014 10:36

I agree, treacle. But somehow we're forgetting the warts on the songs (about half a set compared to the LA-show) from Brussels as well.

Eleanor, ADTL crash-landed in Brussels, and was better in LA, imo. MR from Brussels is of course excellent. Same with Angie, Dancing With Mr. D and RTJ. I don't like the TD-version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-06 10:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 6, 2014 12:37

DandelionPowderman

I don't like the TD-version.

Just curious, but what's the wrong with it? You call it "butchered" but I don't get what you mean by that. "Motherf....s, c'mon" says Jagger in it to the band, when they are heading to the groove in the long outro... too rough? grinning smiley

To me it sounds majestic.

- Doxa

Date: December 6, 2014 15:20

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Just curious, but what's the wrong with it? You call it "butchered" but I don't get what you mean by that. "Motherf....s, c'mon" says Jagger in it to the band, when they are heading to the groove in the long outro... too rough? grinning smiley

- Doxa

I don't call it butchered, that's ADTL - and obviously because of the mistakes.

TD is just a little too slow and lagging for my tastes + I don't think the country-ish guitar bends all over it do any good for the chore of the song: the riff.

Don't get me wrong, I love the original Brussels Affair, but I find another live compilation: Europe 73 even better (GS and Happy and maybe more from other shows).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-06 15:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 6, 2014 15:50

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

I don't call it butchered, that's ADTL - and obviously because of the mistakes.

TD is just a little too slow and lagging for my tastes + I don't think the country-ish guitar bends all over it do any good for the chore of the song: the riff.

Don't get me wrong, I love the original Brussels Affair, but I find another live compilation: Europe 73 even better (GS and Happy and maybe more from other shows).

Oh sorry, I confused ADTL/TD.

Yeah, it is a bit slower than usually but I think exactly that adds into it that 'majestic' impression, like they are little bit holding down the groove. It's sounds a bit different, but highly interesting to my ears. I probably wouldn't call it best version, but then again, I just like the idea of them making some variance, and it is impossible for me to pick up any favourite. I don't think there is a 'right' way to do a song, but a song is more like a template to interpret by different means. Or like it is with the 70's Stones, like an organ which seems like having a life of its own, evolving with the band. Many times when I listen different versions, I think this is the best I ever heard, it can be any better, but the next day I listen other one, I think the same...grinning smiley Anyway, I think the version in L.A. FORUM (and L.A. FRIDAY) is simply brilliant, and once again, the band simply blew me away with the groove of that song....

And yeah, regards BRUSSELS reading, I should have known that it is the Taylor factor disturbing your Richards-oriented ears...grinning smiley To my ears, the guitars work wonderfully together, and Taylor colors the main riff beautifully. Guitar heaven.

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2014 15:54

DandelionPowderman
I agree, treacle. But somehow we're forgetting the warts on the songs (about half a set compared to the LA-show) from Brussels as well.

Eleanor, ADTL crash-landed in Brussels, and was better in LA, imo. MR from Brussels is of course excellent. Same with Angie, Dancing With Mr. D and RTJ. I don't like the TD-version.

If I'm putting it down to one person, it's MJ that's spoiling it for me on this one. His vocal is often terrible, and even the between song banter has me straining to understand what the hell he's saying.

I suppose it's probably the coke.

It's fine for what it is but as I say I don't see this release as their shining star moment and if I'm comparing it to other parts of their career, it's a lower point.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 6, 2014 16:02

Is it safe to say Atlantic City 1989 is next since that's the video that's been on the Stones Vault site front page along side Hampton and LA?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 6, 2014 16:22

Just one example: what they did to "Heartbreaker" on that unholy LA night makes me wanna CRY - I'm dead serious. It's simply outrageous; soooooo BAD.*

On the other hand: I enjoyed "Brown Sugar", "Street Fighting Man", "Fingerprint File", "IORR" (you were absolutely right, Doxa, earlier in this thread!), ... I guess that's about it.

Some tracks could do with another listen; but I'm not really sure they would benefit from it. Others ("You Gote Move", f.i.; ...etc.!) I simply NEVER wanna hear again.

* ...But I do admit: I love & admire it when a band can make me feel that way. smiling smiley And yes: only the Rolling M***erf***in' Stones are able to do so. What an outfit! smoking smiley

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: December 6, 2014 17:31

Keith on Happy..... well he needed a litte more help from his friend than usual on that one (Pic). After that, Tumbling Dice started, and he was great. He woke up between those two songs.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 6, 2014 22:05

From my good friend and Rolling Stones aficionado Dan Swendog.

Here's excerpts from an email exchange with Dan and I:

The You Tube Stones page "Happy" is from the same Saturday concert 7/12 that is on the new offficial DVD. It is just a different camera edit/alternate angles. Perhaps there are differences in the others posted. (Ain't too proud to beg, etc.) That makes them worth archiving and saving on the HDDs.

I heard the concerts were the 11th and 13th?

Yes, I am happy that the audio is a different show from the video.

Great that it is the same Sunday show 7/13, that used the old 'LA Friday" bootleg title when it was an Stones archive download.
I am really excited about these releases.

For years, the video has been mistakenly dated as July 11 by bootleggers, but it is from the Saturday show verified through Mick's costumes eye witness accounts. Maybe no-one ever looked at a 1975 calender. It is so easy now with computers. The 1975 shows have always been mislabeled- "LA Friday" Ha! Even the box set from "Mike the Mic" Millard's recordings "Whores...and a Bottle of Jack" or something like that are misdated..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 7, 2014 00:21

shadooby
Is it safe to say Atlantic City 1989 is next since that's the video that's been on the Stones Vault site front page along side Hampton and LA?

Please no. Please more from the 70s and 60s. More more more

Date: December 7, 2014 01:05

Redhotcarpet
shadooby

I'd bet it's a teaser. That Rock and a Hard Place video is the best I've seen video and/or sound-wise so there's obviously a reason they have it on there.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 7, 2014 13:18

Redhotcarpet
shadooby

I agree 100%, but if it must be a recording of the Vegas era, it should be Atlantic. The guitars are mixed upfront, at least on the boot.

Date: December 7, 2014 15:17

RobertJohnson
Redhotcarpet
shadooby

I agree 100%, but if it must be a recording of the Vegas era, it should be Atlantic. The guitars are mixed upfront, at least on the boot.

Same here. I love that show and Keith rips it up that night. They are all at the top of their game and I'm sure having Eric and John Lee there has a lot to do with it. I'd be perfectly happy to have a bluray/cd of the show as an upgrade from the boots.

-
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 7, 2014 15:41

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 20:31 by midnrambler.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:13

midnrambler
Yes, it is also my opinion that the date on the cover of the release is correct: Saturday, July 12 for the DVD show (and NOT July 11!). It was us fans and many bootleggers who misdated it for years.

Hope this is true. I'm kinda tired of errors in Stones albums, credits, booklets...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:20

I would rather have the DALLAS or LA show from 89 if they must release something from that tour because atlantic city isn't much of a vault show IMO

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: December 7, 2014 23:47

shadooby

It's not Atlantic City on the website, it's from At The Max.
I'm still hopeful the next one will be Leeds '82 or Tokyo '90 which is a brilliant stadium show.

Date: December 7, 2014 23:53

flairville
shadooby

It's not Atlantic City on the website, it's from At The Max.
I'm still hopeful the next one will be Leeds '82 or Tokyo '90 which is a brilliant stadium show.

You're correct, I should've looked a little closerwinking smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 8, 2014 00:23

flairville

I'd much prefer Leeds '82 over Tokyo '90 if they must release anything post-'73. I loved the outdoor video clips from Leeds that they released on youtube in conjunction with the Stones Archive download.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: December 8, 2014 03:05

If they go in order of how these concerts were released as downloads, then Tokyo 90 would be next, followed by Toronto 05 and Leeds 82. Brussels 73 was the first download, but there may not be a From The Vault release of it as they still have those expensive box sets to get rid of and apparently there is little video footage from it. Hampton and L.A were the second and third downloads, so they may continue to put them out in order before considering releasing additional shows. I guess it all depends also on how well these sell for them to feel there is enough interest to continue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-08 03:06 by Halup.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 8, 2014 08:43

I wish they'd get off this neurotic need to release full concerts. Just find the best clips from any time, tie them together cleverly, and release them. If there's only a few songs from Brussels that were filmed, so be it.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 8, 2014 10:34

24FPS
I wish they'd get off this neurotic need to release full concerts. Just find the best clips from any time, tie them together cleverly, and release them. If there's only a few songs from Brussels that were filmed, so be it.

I do not totally agree.
IMHO the best thing to do would for each tour to release a complete show, if possible a good one that has not been ultra-widely available on bootleg and to add as bonus disc(s) the available different songs that were not featured in the set list of the entire show but were filmed on other dates.

They can "easily" do this for the recent tours : SW/UJ, VL, BtB, Licks, ABB and of course 12-14.

They also might to a 1973 Tour mash-up DVD with everything available LOL.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 8, 2014 12:43

midnrambler
exilestones

For years, the video has been mistakenly dated as July 11 by bootleggers, but it is from the Saturday show verified through Mick's costumes eye witness accounts. Maybe no-one ever looked at a 1975 calender. It is so easy now with computers. The 1975 shows have always been mislabeled- "LA Friday" Ha! Even the box set from "Mike the Mic" Millard's recordings "Whores...and a Bottle of Jack" or something like that are misdated..
[/color]

Yes, it is also my opinion that the date on the cover of the release is correct: Saturday, July 12 for the DVD show (and NOT July 11!). It was us fans and many bootleggers who misdated it for years.

BTW, Empress Valley was the only label wot got the dates right on their release "Whores, Cocaine And A Bottle Of Jack"! They mixed up the order of the shows on the CDs, but their dates are correct! They probably copied the dates from Millard's cassettes, and Millard was known for labelling his recordings accurately.

I find it very hard to believe, as from just about all show except the 12th (if I recall correctly) we have multiple tapes, and there's reviews from the shows with multiple mentions about setlists etc. The 12th show is the Fa Fa Fa show, which also was mentioned in a LA newspaper review.

Anything is possible, but I doubt the bootleggers are wrong here. I mean -they released the classic Brussels affair boot, and probably weren't aware themselves they released the wrong show...

Mathijs

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home