Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 35 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 11, 2014 10:30

SharksWillCry
Doc
Mine is fine, LP2 is correct
Did you buy a european pressing ?

Not that I'm aware of. Not sure how to tell, though. It includes the NTSC DVD.

EV306959

There must be a matrix numbrer eteched on the vyni itself, near the label in the center. What does it say ?
You must have both same matrix numbers on both sides

Date: December 11, 2014 10:32

Keith is generally zonked out on the 11th, although he picks it up somehow from TD and on, imo. I have many 1975 shows on bootlegs, but I must say I have never heard (and seen) him that slow and fragile. He makes an interesting Midnight Rambler out of it somehow, though grinning smiley

I don't know what's worse - Happy with Keith lagging behind vocally (or not singing at all) all the way through or a rocking Happy with a couple of butchered chord changes...

I'm judging this show as a DVD, because I haven't ripped it yet. And with the visuals it is a joy to have, imo. Musically, it's not their best show, as I knew before I got this upgrade.

The 13th show is excellent on vinyl.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: December 11, 2014 12:17

Mathijs
jpasc95
Happy with a different sound. The video is taken from the LA DVD and audio from a CD source. I've mixed both.

This sound is from the old soundboard, the new DVD sound is miles better.

Mathijs
I don't agree.
On the DVD and especially on Happy there is too much reverb or echo and Ronnie is almost lost in the mix.
On the "old soundboard", you can hear him much clearer and the sound is more powerful.

Date: December 11, 2014 12:18

jpasc95
Mathijs
jpasc95
Happy with a different sound. The video is taken from the LA DVD and audio from a CD source. I've mixed both.

This sound is from the old soundboard, the new DVD sound is miles better.

Mathijs
I don't agree.
On the DVD and especially on Happy there is too much reverb or echo and Ronnie is almost lost in the mix.
On the "old soundboard", you can hear him much clearer and the sound is more powerful.

You're talking about the mix, not the sound quality.

Date: December 11, 2014 12:57

no I'm talking about the quality
to me, the sound on the DVD and I repeat especially on Happy is weak.
anyway, it's a matter of taste.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 11, 2014 13:50

jpasc95

After watching that video I thought that it's funny that keith was able to stay awake for many days in a row but then he seemed to has decided to fall asleep during his song "happy".
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: December 11, 2014 14:08

jpasc95
no I'm talking about the quality
to me, the sound on the DVD and I repeat especially on Happy is weak.
anyway, it's a matter of taste.

I don't think sound quality is a matter of taste. The bootleg is muddy-sounding, albeit with a better sound balance in places than the DVD.

The DVD sounds crisp and crystal clear, but with an uneven mix in places, compared to the bootleg.

What one prefers is totally a matter of taste, though smiling smiley

Date: December 11, 2014 15:41

well DP, to be even clearer, and I will rest my case on that point, to me, the problem with quality sound is only about Happy.
For the other numbers, I agree to say the sound on DVD is better than the boot.

sorry to repeat it but on the DVD you can't deny there is too much reverb or echo on Happy. Listen carefully and you can't not notice it.
You don't have this particular flaw on the other songs.

Date: December 11, 2014 15:55

jpasc95
well DP, to be even clearer, and I will rest my case on that point, to me, the problem with quality sound is only about Happy.
For the other numbers, I agree to say the sound on DVD is better than the boot.

sorry to repeat it but on the DVD you can't deny there is too much reverb or echo on Happy. Listen carefully and you can't not notice it.
You don't have this particular flaw on the other songs.

Yes, I see what you're referring to, and I agree - it is indeed something happening on Happy there.

I thought you meant the entire show.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 11, 2014 16:16

SharksWillCry
Doc
Mine is fine, LP2 is correct
Did you buy a european pressing ?

Not that I'm aware of. Not sure how to tell, though. It includes the NTSC DVD.

EV306959

I don't think there is anything but European pressings for something like this.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 12, 2014 16:00

Interesting I got this email from Ward today! Looking good!

Thank you very much for your purchase from Ward Records Store.

We would like to inform you that your order below has been confirmed.

Order Total: 26,784 JPY

Your credit card will be charged upon shipment of your product.
We will send you an email when your order is shipped.

If you have any questions regarding your order, please feel free to contact us.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: December 13, 2014 07:27

doc
There must be a matrix numbrer eteched on the vyni itself, near the label in the center. What does it say ?

ER-2038018 C
BE62713-02 C1 HL

The other side is (almost) the same: ER-2038018 C2

"Happy", etc. on both sides. I haven't listened to them to see if they are differently mixed or anything.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: December 13, 2014 07:46

Interesting that Mick is using a wireless Mic for some songs. I'm gonna guess that it was a first that tour. Stage monitors everywhere, too. And a guy to pour the coke. winking smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 13, 2014 12:15

'L.A. Forum – Live In 1975' is now also available on [iTunes.apple.com] .

[iTunes.apple.com]

Date: December 13, 2014 12:18

SharksWillCry
Interesting that Mick is using a wireless Mic for some songs. I'm gonna guess that it was a first that tour. Stage monitors everywhere, too. And a guy to pour the coke. winking smiley

It was, and I think The Stones was one of the first bands that tried them out as well.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 13, 2014 15:38

SharksWillCry
doc

ER-2038018 C
BE62713-02 C1 HL

The other side is (almost) the same: ER-2038018 C2

"Happy", etc. on both sides. I haven't listened to them to see if they are differently mixed or anything.

I do NOT have ER... references etched on the LP, only BE...
Weird.

Posted by: allsoldout ()
Date: December 15, 2014 14:10

That gave me a laugh too as did Mick humping Ronnie during Star Star and the look of horror on his face when he realises Keith has missed the opening line of Happy and sprints over to the mic to help him out.
give me a few mistakes over slick anyday,I know they've been better but as a glimpse back in time I loved the whole show.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: December 15, 2014 16:49

SharksWillCry
I finally got my LP set today, and Eagle Rock decided to press my second record with "You Got to Move/YCAGWYW/Happy" on both sides. Tumbling/IORR/Fingerprint File are MIA. I have to say that it is "neat" and I like errors and all, but that is probably the side I was looking most forward to.

If it was some major release I could see it having some collector value, and I would consider myself to have a lucky find. But it's not, and that's unfortunate.

I can't be the only one.

That sounds like a wet dream...I've been waiting for about 40 years to buy something like this but it always happens to others. I really would love to buy your copy and just in case you're thinking of replacing it with a correct set please give me a hint over heresmiling smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 15, 2014 17:12

allsoldout
That gave me a laugh too as did Mick humping Ronnie during Star Star and the look of horror on his face when he realises Keith has missed the opening line of Happy and sprints over to the mic to help him out.
give me a few mistakes over slick anyday,I know they've been better but as a glimpse back in time I loved the whole show.

Mistakes are always fun, especially in recording from back then. Some sloppiness can be great. The thing that's not as fun are lackluster shows lacking in energy and focus. Of course, there are any number of combinations of all these features.
I'll be getting my '75 dvd soon and I'll write a short review when I've viewed it.

Posted by: allsoldout ()
Date: December 15, 2014 19:36

Mistakes are always fun, especially in recording from back then. Some sloppiness can be great. The thing that's not as fun are lackluster shows lacking in energy and focus. Of course, there are any number of combinations of all these features.
I'll be getting my '75 dvd soon and I'll write a short review when I've viewed it.[/quote]

I think lackluster is a very good description of this show certainly compared to the Hampton 81 set where the energy level is infectious you can't help but be swept up and carried along with it.
Maybe the Stones were jaded,coming down again or simply had an off night.the super laid back vibe and slower tempos were interesting to hear as an alternative to the usual classics being cranked out at breakneck pace,and Ronnie had some nice moments on guitar though Charlie probably never had to work so hard at a gig to keep the whole thing together.

Date: December 22, 2014 22:03

Finally got my dvds (both Hampton and LA). Have just watched the first 25% of the LA dvd, but it has exceeded my expectations. Perhaps because they weren't so big. But the picture and sound is excellent, the cuts are fine, and the performance has more life to it than I expected. All Down The Line rocked pretty good, and YCAGWYW has a great good groove to it. The drums and bass sound awesome. Guitars sound good too, but Keith's and Ronnie's guitar sounds were a little on the thin and nasal side at that time. Not my favourite Stones tour by any measure but it's funky and fun. It's interesting how a great mix and sound quality can enhance the perceived performance.

Agreed that it's strange and funny that there's an X where Bill Wyman is expected to be at one page in the booklet, which is pretty easy to make all sorts of conspiracies about, but at least he's in a couple of other pictures. The booklet is fine, but the writing in it could have been more revelatory.

In any case, now I can:

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 22, 2014 23:31

LieB
The booklet is fine, but the writing in it could have been more revelatory.

That is kind of a drag, that we don't get any real background on this release. We don't know the origin of the tape. On Some Girls in Texas we got the back story that Mick hired somebody to film it, etc. On this DVD there are things crying out for more info, but we get only surface info. Maybe this can be attributed to Mick being busy with touring and the emotional aftermath of the suicide to be bothered with such a trifle as LA '75. But I have really enjoyed this release. Incredible what we have received over the past few years.

Date: December 23, 2014 01:21

24FPS
Maybe this can be attributed to Mick being busy with touring and the emotional aftermath of the suicide to be bothered with such a trifle as LA '75.

That may be a bit over analytical, in my opinion, considering that they (whoever took care of writing) gave Paul Buckmaster a credit for string arrangements on Happy in the Exile Deluxe booklet, to mention but one of many puzzling errors in the past. It will be interesting what the hopefully coming Sticky Fingers deluxe edition will give us in terms of music, overdubs and information. Anyway, I agree that these vaults releases are amazing compared to what we had only a few years ago.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 23, 2014 04:27

allsoldout

I think lackluster is a very good description of this show certainly compared to the Hampton 81 set where the energy level is infectious you can't help but be swept up and carried along with it.
Maybe the Stones were jaded,coming down again or simply had an off night.the super laid back vibe and slower tempos were interesting to hear as an alternative to the usual classics being cranked out at breakneck pace,and Ronnie had some nice moments on guitar though Charlie probably never had to work so hard at a gig to keep the whole thing together.

Funny to think that while HAMPTON actually is 'better' show in technical- and energywise, I am not so sure if it actually is musicalwise. Sometimes the music simply transcends such 'mortal' matters. It could be that the Rolling Stones AD 1975 was simply more exciting band than AD 1981... For example, no matter how rusty the band was, say, in Hyde Park 1989 or ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS 1968, they were highly exciting, and probably would never top that...

- Doxa

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 23, 2014 06:48

Doxa
allsoldout

Funny to think that while HAMPTON actually is 'better' show in technical- and energywise, I am not so sure if it actually is musicalwise. Sometimes the music simply transcends such 'mortal' matters. It could be that the Rolling Stones AD 1975 was simply more exciting band than AD 1981... For example, no matter how rusty the band was, say, in Hyde Park 1989 or ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS 1968, they were highly exciting, and probably would never top that...

- Doxa

I think LA '75 is more raw, real & rocking than Hampton. I like Hampton, but it's more 'mature' than LA '75. LA '75 feels like we got a real concert, from flaws to transcendant moments. Mick seems to be really pushing everybody to rock it out on LA '75. By Hampton things seem a bit too professional. Maybe that was a reaction to the raggedy '78 tour, and an agreement that they had to give the audience their money's worth every night.

Date: December 23, 2014 10:14

LieB
24FPS
Maybe this can be attributed to Mick being busy with touring and the emotional aftermath of the suicide to be bothered with such a trifle as LA '75.

That may be a bit over analytical, in my opinion, considering that they (whoever took care of writing) gave Paul Buckmaster a credit for string arrangements on Happy in the Exile Deluxe booklet, to mention but one of many puzzling errors in the past. It will be interesting what the hopefully coming Sticky Fingers deluxe edition will give us in terms of music, overdubs and information. Anyway, I agree that these vaults releases are amazing compared to what we had only a few years ago.

He said that he was going back to the studio, and that it was nice having something to focus on, after what happened.

So I guess work is good for Mick these days.

Date: December 23, 2014 10:19

Doxa
allsoldout

- Doxa

While having a listen to Imagination, Time Is On My Side, Let It Bleed, Waiting On A Friend and Twenty Flight Rock, I get convinced (again and again) that this the Stones at their musical peak.

Variety, dynamics and the core band in tip top shape. It's just a better band than ever, imo.

What does sound a bit tired on the Hampton show, though, is some of the warhorses.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 27, 2014 13:05

Ok for all you folks outside of Japan, Ward records is shipping. I received notice today that my box set has shipped from Tokyo to Michigan (USA). With shipping it worked out to be 200 US Dollars.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 27, 2014 18:40

jpasc95
anyone knows the show from July 12th ?
I only have the shows from 9th, 11th and 13th.

I was at this show. They used Don Kirschner's Rock Concert mobile unit to shoot and record it. I remember Mick stepping on his mic cable during the opening of BS. It's on the DVD. So I'm quite sure it's the same show. I don't think they videotaped and recorded 2 Forum shows. I recall that I did not attend the Saturday night show. I assisted Annie Liebovitz, the 1975 tour photographer, at the LA shows, and was at a nearby home putting up photos she had shot of all the venues they had played to date on TOTA for an after-concert party. So I'm pretty sure the show on the new DVD is Sunday July 13, not Saturday July 12.

Jann Wenner, publisher of Rolling Stone, reviewed the Saturday show and wrote, "The Rolling Stones are Rock & Roll. They always have been, and the always will be." Amen.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 27, 2014 18:59

1969Fan

I assisted Annie Liebovitz, the 1975 tour photographer, at the LA shows,

Fan, is it true she was even more wasted than the band during the TOTA?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 35 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home