Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 26, 2014 20:43

24FPS
I haven't got time to watch the DVD until weekend, but holy crap, has anyone read the booklet? There is a conscious effort to negate Bill Wyman. Richard Havers, who wrote the essay on the DVD, goes to great lengths to mention the musical contributions of everyone from Mick Jagger to Trevor Lawrence, but he leaves an actual Rolling Stone out of his assessments.

Think I'm being paranoid? Right before the end of the booklet there's a page opposite a Forum tickets for the show. There's a picture of Charlie, Mick, Keith and Ronnie. Okay, that's what left of the Stones now, but look, there's an extra picture frame filled with nothing but an X.

Throughout the entire booklet there's only one official picture of Bill, and one tiny pic as part of a tour program. Ollie Freakin' Brown gets a bigger mentioned than an actual Rolling Stone? Richard Haver wrote that Billy Preston brought along a synthesizer, which was novel at the time, and then he neglects to say that Wyman played it during Fingerprint File while Ronnie played bass.

I've felt that somewhere along the line Mick Jagger is the one who doesn't like Wyman and wants him excluded. I didn't see any connection between the two during the 2012 reunion. And yes, I know that Bill is not a Rolling Stones now, but come on, he was One Fifth of the group in 1975. How petty is this? And don't tell me it's Richard Haver's doing. Nothing goes out without Mick Jagger's approval.

While I agree with you, I can understand why jagger might not like wyman.

it's he who left the band and he was quite whiney about the whole reunion thing and lack of songs he played.

Jagger could have been more magnanimous but I can't say as I blame him.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 26, 2014 22:56

Is it the same Richard Havers who co-wrote books with Bill Wyman?

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: November 26, 2014 23:07

Got my Lp and DVD yesterday. I enjoyed it bit I must say Jagger ruins it for me - dreadful singing. I think overall it re-confirms that 1975 is by far my least favourite tour. Was Europe 76 any better? I am not sure.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 27, 2014 00:22

24FPS
I haven't got time to watch the DVD until weekend, but holy crap, has anyone read the booklet? There is a conscious effort to negate Bill Wyman. Richard Havers, who wrote the essay on the DVD, goes to great lengths to mention the musical contributions of everyone from Mick Jagger to Trevor Lawrence, but he leaves an actual Rolling Stone out of his assessments.

Think I'm being paranoid? Right before the end of the booklet there's a page opposite a Forum tickets for the show. There's a picture of Charlie, Mick, Keith and Ronnie. Okay, that's what left of the Stones now, but look, there's an extra picture frame filled with nothing but an X.

Throughout the entire booklet there's only one official picture of Bill, and one tiny pic as part of a tour program. Ollie Freakin' Brown gets a bigger mentioned than an actual Rolling Stone? Richard Haver wrote that Billy Preston brought along a synthesizer, which was novel at the time, and then he neglects to say that Wyman played it during Fingerprint File while Ronnie played bass.

I've felt that somewhere along the line Mick Jagger is the one who doesn't like Wyman and wants him excluded. I didn't see any connection between the two during the 2012 reunion. And yes, I know that Bill is not a Rolling Stones now, but come on, he was One Fifth of the group in 1975. How petty is this? And don't tell me it's Richard Haver's doing. Nothing goes out without Mick Jagger's approval.

Incredible.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: November 27, 2014 00:47

perhaps Mick is still pissed about Bill pressing to make Ron a full member then Bill resigning. cool!

Date: November 27, 2014 00:56

john lomax
Got my Lp and DVD yesterday. I enjoyed it bit I must say Jagger ruins it for me - dreadful singing. I think overall it re-confirms that 1975 is by far my least favourite tour. Was Europe 76 any better? I am not sure.

I think the vocals got worse actually.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 27, 2014 15:02

Yep I agree...the music was rock..the singing terrible.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 27, 2014 15:43

Eleanor Rigby

What was so terrible about them?

Love them.

C

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 27, 2014 15:54

SFTD
Man, does Sympathy For The Devil burn like hell on CD2 like nobody's business. Besides being one of the longest versions ever, it sure is one of the best sounding versions available on officially released material.

Don't forget Jesse Ed Davis lent a hand on the song that night...

Date: November 27, 2014 15:56

dcba
SFTD
Man, does Sympathy For The Devil burn like hell on CD2 like nobody's business. Besides being one of the longest versions ever, it sure is one of the best sounding versions available on officially released material.

Don't forget Jesse Ed Davis lent a hand on the song that night...

It's cool that Jesse Ed is featured on an official Stones release. I always loved his playing thumbs up

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: November 27, 2014 16:22

liddas
Eleanor Rigby

Love them.

C

He sounds like Foghorn Leghorn thats whats wrong with it.

Date: November 27, 2014 16:33

vertigojoe
liddas
Eleanor Rigby

Love them.

C

Hahahaha. ..thats the funniest thing I have read on here for a long while!

Date: November 27, 2014 16:34

vertigojoe
liddas
Eleanor Rigby

Love them.

C

He continued where he left off on JJF and Street Fighting Man on Brussels Affair smiling smiley

Listen to those two songs, and then jump to LA Friday - it's the same "persona".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-27 16:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 27, 2014 16:37

DandelionPowderman
vertigojoe
liddas
Eleanor Rigby

Love them.

C

He continued where he left off on JJF and Street Fighting Man on Brussels Affair smiling smiley

Listen to those two songs, and then jump to LA Friday - it's the same "persona".

That might be true, but we get a full show of Foghorn Leghorn come the 1975 tour...and I tell ya boy..it aint good!

Date: November 27, 2014 16:47

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
vertigojoe
liddas
Eleanor Rigby

Love them.

C

That might be true, but we get a full show of Foghorn Leghorn come the 1975 tour...and I tell ya boy..it aint good!

Well, by "Old Habits Die Hard" he'd morphed into Elmer Fudd, so let's just say there would be more looney toons ahead.

Date: November 27, 2014 16:56

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
vertigojoe
liddas
Eleanor Rigby

Love them.

C

In fairness, there's nothing wrong with Mick's singing on tracks like Angie, Wild Horses, Fingerprint File, Star Star, You Gotta Move, YCAGWYW and Heartbreaker.

Midnight Rambler from Brussels Affair, a rendition hailed by many fans as one of the best live track ever, features a Mick that sounds like he's having major trouble on the John smiling smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 27, 2014 17:41

I've watched this a few times and I have to agree with the negative critiques of Mick's vocals in several songs. He seems to realize that the audience will lap it up no matter what he does and he therefore can "fake it" whenever he feels like it. The "coked up" speculations would also seem to account for the frenetic singing and gymnastics in this performance. Mick is certainly much more professional now. That said, I still enjoyed it and for $10 I'm not complaining.

I found the "dancers" on stage during an otherwise potent performance of Sympathy kind of distracting and unnecessary.

It's too bad the camera angles didn't catch a shot of the stage petals opening from the front at the beginning. It was truly dramatic from my 15th row location at MSG to see Mick coming over the top as the front petal of the lotus came down. If I recall correctly, unlike this show, "Fanfare" ended BEFORE the stage opened and they went into Honky Tonk as it opened. So you heard Keith's powerful chords before you actually saw them. Again, that is just my recollection. Also, as the stage closed at the end, Keith stuck his head out and gave us a big wave goodbye and a classic Richards smile.

All in all, a nice, nostalgic treat for me. Ragged, raunchy and loose.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: November 28, 2014 01:21

It's worth the price for Tumbling Dice alone. The last 45 seconds, just treat yourselves, it's good to see the audience going crazy too.

Date: November 28, 2014 10:04

flairville
It's worth the price for Tumbling Dice alone. The last 45 seconds, just treat yourselves, it's good to see the audience going crazy too.

+1

LA Forum DVD
Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: November 28, 2014 07:49

Just watching this show for the first time, and while it's not the perfect Stones show it's fun hearing an adventurous setlist (can you imagine hearing You Gotta Move or Fingerprint File these days?) and the Stones looking like they're having fun, although on some of the long shots it appears the crowd down front is actually sitting down politely.

Re: LA Forum DVD
Posted by: Papo ()
Date: November 28, 2014 08:48

Before starting a thread you should look if there is already one with the same subject. There is, in this case.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 28, 2014 22:34

john lomax

What? No Jagger does what jagger did best that year. Being Jagger. And that's what he does best. Just listen to If you cant rock me at Buffalo.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 28, 2014 23:11

L.A. Friday debuts at #1 on the US video chart replacing Hampton (now at #2) at that position:

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2014 23:20

Good being #1 that's the kind of thing that flatters Mick.

And a flattered Mick will likely give us more material from the past.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 28, 2014 23:39

dcba
Good being #1 that's the kind of thing that flatters Mick.

And a flattered Mick will likely give us more material from the past.

thumbs up

Date: November 29, 2014 00:57

georgelicks
L.A. Friday debuts at #1 on the US video chart replacing Hampton (now at #2) at that position:

[www.billboard.com]

That's kind of cool...I wonder in the history of the video chart how many acts have had positions 1 and 2 simultaneously?

Date: November 29, 2014 01:03

Listening/watching the DVD now for the first time.

I can understand the concerns voiced. MJ's vocal is annoying to the point of distraction. You Got To Move right now...sounds great. The first tune I've liked.

I'm hoping it 'picks up' as so many have opined it does.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 29, 2014 02:14

Fingerprint File is fantastic. I never really cared for that song until now.

The only complaints I could possibly have about the whole thing is the lack of audience presence and Mick's singing on most songs. But the whole thing is so insanely energetic it hardly matters.

And I would also like to complain about Amazon pushing back the ship date on my Vinyl LA Friday show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-29 02:16 by Sipuncula.

Date: November 29, 2014 16:43

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
vertigojoe
liddas
Eleanor Rigby

Love them.

C

In fairness, there's nothing wrong with Mick's singing on tracks like Angie, Wild Horses, Fingerprint File, Star Star, You Gotta Move, YCAGWYW and Heartbreaker.

Midnight Rambler from Brussels Affair, a rendition hailed by many fans as one of the best live track ever, features a Mick that sounds like he's having major trouble on the John smiling smiley

Ill give you that smileys with beer

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 29, 2014 23:00

just watched my LA DVD last night it starts off like a pay per view IMO with some of those backstage shots very cool, quality is a major upgrade as far as I can tell from even the jointrip version, and I was also very pleased that we got the wasted keith version of happy it just blows away the boots

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1926
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home