Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: The way forward for Keith?
Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: June 29, 2014 04:00

DandelionPowderman
[[/quote]

It's not like he fvcks up every time, and how do you explain his great playing on SFM and ADTL? They require three fingers as well.

And he plays on YGTS.

Watch the video of "Street Fighting Man" from Shanghai. I agree with you it's a great, spirited performance. But Keith is playing with a CAPO, and using a lot of open chords. Watch the video closely -- pay attention to his left hand. He is almost NEVER moving his ring finger or middle finger, independently of his index finger. His fingers are NOT moving independently of each other -- something is very wrong there.

And watch the video of You Got THe Silver from Waldbuhne in Berlin, which is where I really noticed this trend, listening to that recording.... While youcould technically argue he is "playing," he only plays the first 40 seconds or so -- watch around 1:09 as he stops playing completely, flails his right hand around in the air, pointing, he holds the guitar, not strumming, for HUGE chunks of the song. Don't deny it. And when he does play, watch closely. He is holding chord shapes with his fingers, but NOT MOVING THEM AT ALL, relative to each other. And again, it's open strings. But how much does he actually PLAY on that song? Maybe 30%? 40%? Be honest. Everyone has known for years that Ronnie is doing the heavy lifting on that number, to his great credit.

My point again, is that Keith can't play his signature barre chords and hammer-ons reliably anymore -- using the index finger, and two fingers hammering on.

Yes he gets occasionally gets "Start Me Up" right once in a while, as he did in Paris....but at this point it's really about 50/50 crapshoot whether he will mess it up or not. Be honest. Listen to the recordings.

I just listened to Berlin the other night, and I was SHOCKED to hear how much the sound guy was turning Keith down. Whole chunks of songs are missing Richards, and then when he's playing ringing chords on open strings (no left hand requireed), as on "Honky Tonk Women" and "Jumping Jack Flash," that's when they GOOSE his volume ridiculous amounts! Because it's a signature lick of his, but when it's open chords on open strings, it's the only thing they KNOW he will 100% not screw up.

He plays a decent solo on "Sympathy" -- a little fractured sounding but decent. Because that's almost all single string work. One note and one finger at a time.

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" -- again that's open strings with a capo, but clumsy and awkward, his fingering is no longer fluid....also in Berlin, I swear I am hearing Chuck helping him out a bit, with an electric piano in there.....

"Midnight Rambler" -- which is by far the BEST song the Stones are playing right now -- also uses the capo and open strings. The ones that are giving him serious problems, are the ones that require him to apply pressure with his index finger and move his other two fingers independently. He just can't do it reliably anymore. All you have to do is watch and listen, it is there to see, plain as day.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 29, 2014 04:09

Deluxtone
Yet it does strike me as odd that they don't make more use of Taylor on more songs - even the usual ones - unless they are worried about the risk of spontaneous combustion

They probably are worried about that, and having to rehearse something they already know a hundred times. Exceptions would be No Expectations and perhaps YCAGWYW. But something like "Shine a Light" or "Sway" --different story imo.

But given Ronnie's sweet playing on this tour, it would be sweet to see him and MT trade off on Sway.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 29, 2014 05:31

Bastion
tioms
BV,
Please put away this item.
+1

I second this.
so i'm the third. but i think it should stay.
because a player like Keef is immune to such kind
of "criticism". just watch what people have to say.
last year, i was seriously worried about him. after
the last few concerts, we know how stupid all this is.
i am drunk and going to sleep now. i missed Werchter
(both a pain in my ass and my heart) but i know,
wherever Keef will turn up, he will give it his all
and everything. and that is enough for me.
so, anybody who says Keef isn't good enough,
just shut the F up

edit: holograms? what a freakin' bullshit. it's LIVE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 05:39 by Nikkei.

Date: June 29, 2014 05:35

sorry, i should wait with posting until tomorrow

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 29, 2014 07:09

crumbling_mice
I think we would all agree that Keith, whilst having flashes of his old self, is finding the touring hard. He is still having those moments where he seems to just blank out in songs and loses his way. Very similar to the major issue he had on stage following the surgery.

Maybe the way forward is to switch the role Taylor currently ha with Keith if they are intending to tour again. So Ronnie and Taylor are the main guitarists with Keith coming on for selected songs and the encore. He wouldn;t necessarily have to even do all the shows, but it could be the way forward if the touring is too much for the guy.

Seems that the rest of the band are having no problems at all and Ron is playing better than he has for years. Keith's health is the only thing preventing more touring and this solution could be a win win situation.

You are spot on!

Reading through this thread, I see the same old 'defend The Stones at any cost' defense mecanism.

A permanent three man guitar line up with Ron and MT playing all leads is the way to go. The music will sound so much better.

Date: June 29, 2014 16:02

deadegad
[[/quote]

You are spot on!

Reading through this thread, I see the same old 'defend The Stones at any cost' defense mecanism.

A permanent three man guitar line up with Ron and MT playing all leads is the way to go. The music will sound so much better.

There's no doubt, they could even put Wood on rhythm guitar in "open G" for certain songs, Mick Taylor on lead,and have Keith on acoustic or singing backup at the same mic with Mick (which everyone seems to always want) or playing a "second" lead part out on the catwalks and on the video screens. Ron Wood is more than capable of handling Keith's parts, in an open tuning. Listen to Berlin over in Hot Stuff, just the audio. There may be "no Keith, no Stones,' but they are already turning Kieth's guitar down to the point of being inaudible, for HUGE chunks of the set!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 29, 2014 16:14

Turning To Gold
deadegad
[[/quote]

You are spot on!

There's no doubt, they could even put Wood on rhythm guitar in "open G" for certain songs, Mick Taylor on lead,and have Keith on acoustic or singing backup at the same mic with Mick (which everyone seems to always want) or playing a "second" lead part out on the catwalks and on the video screens. Ron Wood is more than capable of handling Keith's parts, in an open tuning. Listen to Berlin over in Hot Stuff, just the audio. There may be "no Keith, no Stones,' but they are already turning Kieth's guitar down to the point of being inaudible, for HUGE chunks of the set!

As someone who was 5 foot away from Keith in Berlin, I can tell you that the loudest thing on stage that whole night was Keith. Chuck was completely inaudible.

The entire show was far better than the one I saw in Hyde Park last year, and that was simply down to Keith. So don't sit at home on your computer analysing every last second and decibel. The lasting memory I will have of the Berlin show is how damn loud and on fire Keith was.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 29, 2014 16:21

There's so much crap on this thread I don't know where to begin. The way some of you are talking, you would think that Keith is shuffling out on stage gripping a walker and strumming a few shaky chords while Pierre holds his guitar for him.

He looks great, is playing better than he has in years, by all reports, and he is limber enough to run around the stage when he feels like it. He's still very lucid and intelligent in interviews and is clearly connected again with his old friend Mick Jagger.

Years ago when I was grieving and worried about my mother, a wise person told me to simply enjoy her now because soon enough she will be gone too. I feel the same way about Keith and all the Stones. At their ages, there is no guarantee how long any of them will be healthy enough to tour and that includes Mick Taylor. Bobby Womack was set to tour next month and now he's gone. Not a bad way to go really, doing what you love best right up until the end.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 29, 2014 16:27

<<Reading through this thread, I see the same old 'defend The Stones at any cost' defense mechanism.>>

Whereas what I see reading through it are some unbelievably patronising attitudes - starting with its title - that are altogether misplaced IMHO.

And I second latebloomer's comments above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 16:29 by Beast.

Keith
Posted by: Yman56 ()
Date: June 29, 2014 14:35

No Keith no Stones!

Re: Keith
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: June 29, 2014 14:38

No Chuck, no Stones either now.... smiling smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 29, 2014 14:42

Yman56
No Keith no Stones!

Gosh, that's really profound. No Keith no Stones huh ?? Whoever would've thought ??

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: June 29, 2014 14:56

No public, no Stones.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 29, 2014 15:05

No drinks, no fun smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 29, 2014 15:12

"Everything awrite in the critc's section?! Got plenty o' drinks, have you? "

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: June 29, 2014 15:13

Sorry, but....No Brian No Stones smiling smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 29, 2014 17:00

No Stones no life as we know it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 17:00 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: June 29, 2014 18:11

Bastion

As someone who was 5 foot away from Keith in Berlin, I can tell you that the loudest thing on stage that whole night was Keith. Chuck was completely inaudible.

The entire show was far better than the one I saw in Hyde Park last year, and that was simply down to Keith. So don't sit at home on your computer analysing every last second and decibel. The lasting memory I will have of the Berlin show is how damn loud and on fire Keith was.

Your experience sounds very familiar to my own experience seeing Ray Davies perform at a large festival in 2012. I was 5-10 feet away from Ray (right in front of his dancing Hi-top tennis shoes) and I was amazed at how loud his guitar and vocals were. The keyboard player was also almost inaudible from center front of stage in front of Davies' monitors. But of course later when I was sober I heard a recording of the show, from out in the audience, and the keyboard player was of course in the mix.

Different portions of the stage have different mixed sound, due to onstage monitors for each individual musician. I am not sure if you are aware of that but it is true of any professional gig. And that would certainly color one's impressions of the show. I am sure that five feet in front of Keith, he WAS the loudest thing YOU heard -- but loudest thing in the arena? Can you really judge that?

One can also listen to the recordings of the recent Tokyo rehearsals, taken from Mick's earbud monitors, for further evidence of this...very little guitars but VERY prominent Mick, Chuck and backups singers in that mix....because that is what Mick needs to hear, to perform well....I am sure the music on those "monitor" recordings did not sound like that, either, when one was five feet from Keith, or in front of Mick Taylor's amp, Wood's amp, in the back of th hall, etc.

If you have a rational explanation for how Keith would be the loudest thing in the arena, but inaudible to someone taping the show from in the crowd, from a vantage point directly in front of the PA, I would love to hear it. If he was the loudest then how come he is so erraticly in the mix, on the otherwise excellent audience recordings on this tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 18:12 by Turning To Gold.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: June 29, 2014 18:15

More Hot Rocks
No Stones no life as we know it
Spot on. Leave Keith be, it's a small miracle ANY of them are still up there doing it. Does everyone have a great time at a Stones show? Yeah, i thought so. That's all we should care about. If Keith wants and feels able to do it still then good for him and good for us too. Everyone's a winner.

Date: June 29, 2014 18:23

geordiestone
Does everyone have a great time at a Stones show? Yeah, i thought so.

I certainly had a great time. I've been told in this particular thread however that in actual fact, I should be judging a show from my computer and not when the Stones are onstage right in front of me.

Seems I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 29, 2014 18:37

latebloomer
There's so much crap on this thread I don't know where to begin. The way some of you are talking, you would think that Keith is shuffling out on stage gripping a walker and strumming a few shaky chords while Pierre holds his guitar for him.

He looks great, is playing better than he has in years, by all reports, and he is limber enough to run around the stage when he feels like it. He's still very lucid and intelligent in interviews and is clearly connected again with his old friend Mick Jagger.

Years ago when I was grieving and worried about my mother, a wise person told me to simply enjoy her now because soon enough she will be gone too. I feel the same way about Keith and all the Stones. At their ages, there is no guarantee how long any of them will be healthy enough to tour and that includes Mick Taylor. Bobby Womack was set to tour next month and now he's gone. Not a bad way to go really, doing what you love best right up until the end.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
Nate

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 29, 2014 18:43

Turning To Gold
DandelionPowderman
[[/quote]

It's not like he fvcks up every time, and how do you explain his great playing on SFM and ADTL? They require three fingers as well.

And he plays on YGTS.

Watch the video of "Street Fighting Man" from Shanghai. I agree with you it's a great, spirited performance. But Keith is playing with a CAPO, and using a lot of open chords. Watch the video closely -- pay attention to his left hand. He is almost NEVER moving his ring finger or middle finger, independently of his index finger. His fingers are NOT moving independently of each other -- something is very wrong there.

And watch the video of You Got THe Silver from Waldbuhne in Berlin, which is where I really noticed this trend, listening to that recording.... While youcould technically argue he is "playing," he only plays the first 40 seconds or so -- watch around 1:09 as he stops playing completely, flails his right hand around in the air, pointing, he holds the guitar, not strumming, for HUGE chunks of the song. Don't deny it. And when he does play, watch closely. He is holding chord shapes with his fingers, but NOT MOVING THEM AT ALL, relative to each other. And again, it's open strings. But how much does he actually PLAY on that song? Maybe 30%? 40%? Be honest. Everyone has known for years that Ronnie is doing the heavy lifting on that number, to his great credit.

My point again, is that Keith can't play his signature barre chords and hammer-ons reliably anymore -- using the index finger, and two fingers hammering on.

Yes he gets occasionally gets "Start Me Up" right once in a while, as he did in Paris....but at this point it's really about 50/50 crapshoot whether he will mess it up or not. Be honest. Listen to the recordings.

I just listened to Berlin the other night, and I was SHOCKED to hear how much the sound guy was turning Keith down. Whole chunks of songs are missing Richards, and then when he's playing ringing chords on open strings (no left hand requireed), as on "Honky Tonk Women" and "Jumping Jack Flash," that's when they GOOSE his volume ridiculous amounts! Because it's a signature lick of his, but when it's open chords on open strings, it's the only thing they KNOW he will 100% not screw up.

He plays a decent solo on "Sympathy" -- a little fractured sounding but decent. Because that's almost all single string work. One note and one finger at a time.

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" -- again that's open strings with a capo, but clumsy and awkward, his fingering is no longer fluid....also in Berlin, I swear I am hearing Chuck helping him out a bit, with an electric piano in there.....

"Midnight Rambler" -- which is by far the BEST song the Stones are playing right now -- also uses the capo and open strings. The ones that are giving him serious problems, are the ones that require him to apply pressure with his index finger and move his other two fingers independently. He just can't do it reliably anymore. All you have to do is watch and listen, it is there to see, plain as day.

thumbs up

Date: June 29, 2014 18:44

latebloomer

+6 (me amd 5 other people who wouldn't post on a forum like this)

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 29, 2014 18:51

Bastion
geordiestone

I certainly had a great time. I've been told in this particular thread however that in actual fact, I should be judging a show from my computer and not when the Stones are onstage right in front of me.

If that's all what counts - having a good time and a beer or two - then, thought a little further, they could as well have a full playback for the music, as long as they're still on stage in person, posing like in the old days and "the show" (lights, fireworks, video screens) being bombastic fantastic as always. I'm sure that this won't change the fun and "good time" feeling of many in attendance, they probably won't even notice it.

Date: June 29, 2014 19:03

alimente
Bastion
geordiestone

If that's all what counts - having a good time and a beer or two - then, thought a little further, they could as well have a full playback for the music, as long as they're still on stage in person, posing like in the old days and "the show" (lights, fireworks, video screens) being bombastic fantastic as always. I'm sure that this won't change the fun and "good time" feeling of many in attendance, they probably won't even notice it.

I don't think I follow. Are you seriously suggesting that because I enjoyed a Stones show, I'm extremely simple minded; so much so that I would equally enjoy a playback of music and the Stones pretending to play?

My god this thread has a hit a new low. As someone has already pointed out, people are talking as if their current playing is completely unintelligible. Are we discussing the same band here? Please forgive me If I read your post wrongly.

Date: June 29, 2014 19:30

Turning To Gold
deadegad
[[/quote]

You are spot on!

That is indeed the way forward for The Stones to sound their best. It is simple. It is true.

Sentimentality, and, uderstandable sympathy, aside.

Imagine SFTD with Ron and Mick playing the lead while Keith plays his best rhythm?

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: June 29, 2014 19:53

Mick T should be the third guitarist and that would let Keith to have more freedom in his playing. I don't care he chose to quit 40 years ago so I'd let him back as a full member (but I'm not Mick J). It's funny how some people here are so adamant about his departure: he left so no full-time membership for him. I think life's too short for that.

And of course Keith is the core member and without him (or Mick J) there wouldn't be Rolling Stones. I mean, it's very hard for me to think about future concerts without Keith and Mick J introducing the band: "...and finally, the magnificent keyboard magician mr. Chuck Leavell" and Chuck then performs Back To Zero grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 19:55 by Single Malt.

Date: June 29, 2014 20:16

Agree. The "he quit yearago" thing is stupid,but, likewise, The Stones without Keith on stage is unthinkable.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 29, 2014 20:29

deadegad
Turning To Gold
deadegad
[[/quote]

You are spot on!

That is indeed the way forward for The Stones to sound their best. It is simple. It is true.

Imagine SFTD with Ron and Mick playing the lead while Keith plays his best rhythm?
0h my.... So Ronnie could just master keith's open tunings because he's shown so much expertise of the years? Not gonna happen. Jagger may understand Keith's style best but still Richards is irreplaceable.

Date: June 29, 2014 20:56

DoomandGloom
deadegad
Turning To Gold
deadegad
[[/quote]

You are spot on!

0h my.... So Ronnie could just master keith's open tunings because he's shown so much expertise of the years? Not gonna happen. Jagger may understand Keith's style best but still Richards is irreplaceable.

Yes. Both Ron and Mick T would make SFTD sound much better if they shared the lead guitar.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2254
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home