Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: The way forward for Keith?
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 3, 2014 13:38

The way forward for Keith is to keep doing what he's doing until he can't do it anymore, and that includes writing and recording, preferably with The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 3, 2014 13:50

Why do you say that what he is doing is writing and recording, preferably with the Stones? He hasn't done that in years and years, just recorded a few one offs with other people.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 3, 2014 14:05

Rokyfan
Why do you say that what he is doing is writing and recording, preferably with the Stones? He hasn't done that in years and years, just recorded a few one offs with other people.

You may not think it's enough, (I wish it were more too) but it's still called writing and recording, Rockyfan.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: June 3, 2014 14:27

Nate
This idea is ludicrous you might as well of suggested having Christmas without Santa Claus

Nate

Haha, I don't wanna get too religious, but my Christmasses have been without Santa Claus having a noticeable part for my entire life.
Or: which was first, Christmas or Santa Claus? winking smiley

Santa is not Keith, he's Blondie. There's been plenty of Christmasses before him.

Date: June 3, 2014 14:34

Rokyfan

His solo album is coming up, and there was a poster here who actually listened to Keith and his band play some of the new material, outside of Keith's rehearsal room.

Until then, I guess...

Date: June 3, 2014 15:48

OK I missed the announcement of an LP release. I am a big fan of all of keith's solo stuff, including the most recent (helps that I am a big reggae fan). I"m not putting him down, I think he is doing what he wants, having fun and making some good music. I wonder if an actual LP is to come and I sincerely doubt that he and Mick are going to work together, write new songs, etc. He's winding down, good for him. I just think people have unrealistic expectations sometimes, think he is still the Keef of the 60's and 70's.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: June 3, 2014 15:56

crumbling_mice
I think we would all agree that Keith, whilst having flashes of his old self, is finding the touring hard. He is still having those moments where he seems to just blank out in songs and loses his way. Very similar to the major issue he had on stage following the surgery.

Maybe the way forward is to switch the role Taylor currently ha with Keith if they are intending to tour again. So Ronnie and Taylor are the main guitarists with Keith coming on for selected songs and the encore. He wouldn;t necessarily have to even do all the shows, but it could be the way forward if the touring is too much for the guy.

Seems that the rest of the band are having no problems at all and Ron is playing better than he has for years. Keith's health is the only thing preventing more touring and this solution could be a win win situation.
This is a Joke ... Right ?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 3, 2014 15:57

people do expect more of the Stones. Jagger in particular just goes hard and is very professional. I don't think Keith is any less so. none of them would do it less than 100% ..

Keith has so many intros that hes played thousands of times..allowing for the times he's played them, uh ...different ....its a pretty high success rate..

Date: June 3, 2014 16:33

duke richardson
people do expect more of the Stones. Jagger in particular just goes hard and is very professional. I don't think Keith is any less so. none of them would do it less than 100% ..

Keith has so many intros that hes played thousands of times..allowing for the times he's played them, uh ...different ....its a pretty high success rate..

If he flubs intros, we gotta remember that those moments are probably only a couple of seconds combined - out of a 2 hrs 20 minutes show.

Just saying... smiling smiley

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 3, 2014 17:19

But surely this is the big secret that RS Inc desperately tries to keep quiet. Sure on this board we all know about it but i bet 95% of ticket buyers dont have a clue the Iconic Human Riff guitarist is crippled by arthritis.
The proof? Its never mentioned once in Life. You'd imagine coping with the realisation of his onsetting problems might have caused KR a few sleepless nights etc. The horror of knowing your outstanding redeeming defining feature is being taken away from you slowly. A bit like Beethoven going deaf. But no! According to Life, not even worth a mention. Never crossed his mind.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 3, 2014 17:33

well he's playing, arthritis or no..getting the best care for it no doubt.

he looks to be happy and having fun..

and if Keith ain't happy...
cool smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 3, 2014 17:43

On the board there are people who want to "crycify" Keith for two bum notes or for a bad intro, claiming that he is (almost) dead as musician, even when he plays well during the 98% of the show. I wonder if these people have ever noticed how many times Keith botched the intro of "Under My Thumb", on 1981/82 tour. Or the "Brown Sugar" intro, in 2003. So, why on earth do we have a new "accusation" now?

Keith once said "it bothers me the fact that many people are reflecting on me their own agony as for death". Now it seems like somewhat similar happens. Many people are reflecting on Keith their own agony about the time, about old age...

But i think there is a second explanation, too: The so boring "Taylor- mania" (which seems very strong here, even it is almost non- existent out there) needs atleast ONE "dead" guitarist... Ronnie cannot be easily "crycified" in the current period, his playing is obviously excellent. So...

While the eternal "trial" goes on, the crowds have great time, once again, attending the Stones who seem to be appreciated much more by the so called "general audiences" than some "hard-core" fans. Fortunatelly!

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 3, 2014 18:05

laertisflash
On the board there are people who want to "crycify" Keith for two bum notes or for a bad intro, claiming that he is (almost) dead as musician, even when he plays well during the 98% of the show. I wonder if these people have ever noticed how many times Keith botched the intro of "Under My Thumb", on 1981/82 tour. Or the "Brown Sugar" intro, in 2003. So, why on earth do we have a new "accusation" now?

Keith once said "it bothers me the fact that many people are reflecting on me their own agony as for death". Now it seems like somewhat similar happens. Many people are reflecting on Keith their own agony about the time, about old age...

But i think there is a second explanation, too: The so boring "Taylor- mania" (which seems very strong here, even it is almost non- existent out there) needs atleast ONE "dead" guitarist... Ronnie cannot be easily "crycified" in the current period, his playing is obviously excellent. So...

While the eternal "trial" goes on, the crowds have great time, once again, attending the Stones who seem to be appreciated much more by the so called "general audiences" than some "hard-core" fans. Fortunatelly!

I Dont want to crucify him (If thats what you mean) I love the guy. Its just a shame whats happened to him.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: June 3, 2014 18:41

IMO :

99% of the show. good.
1 % of the show: bad.

So it's well worth .

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 3, 2014 18:55

Rokyfan

Well now, hold on, technically he has recorded with The Rolling Stones.

He did some overdubbing for the EXILE extra disc in 2009 (the same studio where Mick Taylor recorded his parts for Plundered, which, somehow, Keith did not know about), overdubbing for the SOME GIRLS extra disc in 2011 and the two new songs for FIFTY LICKS that were recorded in 2012. That's "recording with the Stones".

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 3, 2014 19:52

laertisflash

I do agree that Keith has always played awful stuff on stage but the Taylor thing is wrong, Keith could use the help. Clearly MT ups the game on stage, The Stones are keeping him rusty but if he'd been a part of this show from O2 the music would be better and Keith would have a cushion who's part of the legacy. It's one of the few irreparable bad decisions this band has made.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: June 3, 2014 20:03

He becomes 71 of age.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-22 17:34 by tioms.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 3, 2014 20:23

[www.youtube.com]

...that solo sad smiley

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 3, 2014 20:43

I'm really shocked this thread is still going. I would have thought it would have been shut down for being critical.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 3, 2014 21:16

I've tried to ignore the teachers pets shouting to BV to close the thread, jumping up and down and getting their soiled knickers in a twist and I hate to crash in on your blinkered narrow vision of the world where if you don;t like something you call for censorship, but you need to consider a couple of things a) this is a forum and whilst it has rules I don;t believe I've broken any or harmed anyone in my posts, just a little bit of thinking ahead and b) There are other people in the world who may have differing thoughts to you - unless of course you believe in solipsism in which case you have invented me and my posts. Either way at some point in the future the time will arrive when one or more of the stones will for what ever reason decide to call it a day. Now, my idea was that rather than it all ending for us if it was Keith, he could continue within his limits and still retain mega hero status by coming on for selected numbers and travelling as much as he wanted. There, not so painful was it? Just a Keith fan trying to find a way of taking things forward rather than calling it the end.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 3, 2014 21:20

eye popping smileyeye popping smiley Are you serious??

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 3, 2014 21:59

crumbling_mice
I've tried to ignore the teachers pets shouting to BV to close the thread, jumping up and down and getting their soiled knickers in a twist and I hate to crash in on your blinkered narrow vision of the world where if you don;t like something you call for censorship, but you need to consider a couple of things a) this is a forum and whilst it has rules I don;t believe I've broken any or harmed anyone in my posts, just a little bit of thinking ahead and b) There are other people in the world who may have differing thoughts to you - unless of course you believe in solipsism in which case you have invented me and my posts. Either way at some point in the future the time will arrive when one or more of the stones will for what ever reason decide to call it a day. Now, my idea was that rather than it all ending for us if it was Keith, he could continue within his limits and still retain mega hero status by coming on for selected numbers and travelling as much as he wanted. There, not so painful was it? Just a Keith fan trying to find a way of taking things forward rather than calling it the end.

That's what he's already doing. Except he doesn't leave the stage, because that would be ludicrous.

I think he's improved quite a bit since the first shows in '13, and was doing very well on the far east tour before it was cut short. Like really well.

Anyhoo, he does rock out plently still. At the shows he's fuvkin' a loud in the mix so it's not like anyone's trying to keep him to pantomime.
He crushed my skull (in a good way) during SFM at the first show I saw, then butchered HTW a few songs later, but most of the crowd was too busy singing the chorus to notice or care.

Date: June 4, 2014 01:07

tioms
BV,

Please : STOP THIS ITEM.

PUT IT OFF.
I also heard the opening of Hyde Park.(Start Me Up)
I'm 64 of age, do you think everything you do is in the perfect way?
No, and I can live with that.
He becomes 71 of age.

What do you do monitor the board and beg for BV to close and delete any thread you don't like? Too bad you don't run the universe, huh, you could get to dictate what people say everywhere.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 4, 2014 04:22

vertigojoe
But surely this is the big secret that RS Inc desperately tries to keep quiet. Sure on this board we all know about it but i bet 95% of ticket buyers dont have a clue the Iconic Human Riff guitarist is crippled by arthritis.
The proof? Its never mentioned once in Life. You'd imagine coping with the realisation of his onsetting problems might have caused KR a few sleepless nights etc. The horror of knowing your outstanding redeeming defining feature is being taken away from you slowly. A bit like Beethoven going deaf. But no! According to Life, not even worth a mention. Never crossed his mind.

i'm far from a keith apologist,i have no problem saying what i think about keith or mick or any of the stones.but plain and simple-keith needs to get a pass on this for the exact reason vertigojoe posted above.

the fact that he gets out there and plays at all with those hands in that condition is a marvel.its as amazing as jagger moving the way he does at his age.

and he never complains about it or uses it as an excuse ,he just carries on and keeps working,it really shows his toughness and resolve.mick knows,the whole band does and they work through it.

just looking at those fingers makes my own hands hurt,his fingers are swollen to almost double their size to the point the ends nearly cover the beginning of his fingernails,you know how fcking bad that must hurt at times?

to hit a note precicely every time on something as small as a guitar neck is just not possible,it shows what a great player he is that he gets it as right as he does.when he pauses-he's setting and resetting his hands alot of the time,not "getting lost out there"he knows exactly what he's doing.

a casual fan wouldn't know any of this and probably barely notice a mistake during the excitement of the show,a "harcore fan" should understand.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 4, 2014 04:30

lem motlow
a casual fan wouldn't know any of this and probably barely notice a mistake during the excitement of the show,a "harcore fan" should understand.

So true. My friend and I always discuss the shows at length afterwards and reference little things that only the really sick fans notice.

Date: June 4, 2014 05:27

lem motlow
vertigojoe

i'm far from a keith apologist,i have no problem saying what i think about keith or mick or any of the stones.but plain and simple-keith needs to get a pass on this for the exact reason vertigojoe posted above.

the fact that he gets out there and plays at all with those hands in that condition is a marvel.its as amazing as jagger moving the way he does at his age.

and he never complains about it or uses it as an excuse ,he just carries on and keeps working,it really shows his toughness and resolve.mick knows,the whole band does and they work through it.

just looking at those fingers makes my own hands hurt,his fingers are swollen to almost double their size to the point the ends nearly cover the beginning of his fingernails,you know how fcking bad that must hurt at times?

to hit a note precicely every time on something as small as a guitar neck is just not possible,it shows what a great player he is that he gets it as right as he does.when he pauses-he's setting and resetting his hands alot of the time,not "getting lost out there"he knows exactly what he's doing.

I think these two comments are the most accurate. It is sad to see what arthritis has done to him and it is somewhat noble to see him carrying on when he does not have to, and, like a pro, pulling it off.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 4, 2014 05:50

I believe Keith's mind is still strong as we see him handle the vocals to his tunes time after time. I believe the arthritis is a real issue. I imagine wearing rings on his fingers night and day are part of the cause. I've known quite a few people who've had to have their rings cut off their hands as the knuckles swelled over them. So a hint for you hipsters, take your jewelry off when you sleep...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2014 07:23

KRiffhard
[www.youtube.com]

...that solo sad smiley

Oh my. Wow.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 4, 2014 12:16

Could we at least agree that he should play a lot less solos?

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 4, 2014 12:45

I suppose we could not. Because he usually does good job soloing on HTW, IORR, Satisfaction.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1277
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home