Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14
Re: OFFICIAL - AUS NZ TOUR POSTPONED
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:09

Wuudy
It all depends on logistics and Jaggers state of mind but I think they will try to reschedule just before the European Tour or just after.

I really cant imagine them rescheduling these shows before Europe. Thats a commitment of three weeks for playing down under, a very short break and then a 6 week tour of Europe.

What you do have in your favour of an early reschedule is the need to have outdoor shows rescheduled at times when the venue is still available. Against is the fact that the postponement of the whole tour (as opposed to the alternative option of postponing a few dates at the start until after Auckland) would suggest that Mick is (quite understandably) not going to want to be anywhere near a concert stage (or in the public glare at all for that matter) for the next few weeks at least.

I honestly think you're looking at about six months before they'll play these shows. If that happens, then a lot depends on how far advanced the plans are for the South American dates which are rumoured to happen towards the end of the year. Doing both tours in late 2014 may be more practical, especially as the Aussie leg is just seven shows. Again, though, a lot may depend on how practical it is to play the outdoor shows at any given time.

I do think that they'll reschedule the shows, however.

Anyone who is looking to offload spare tickets though is going to have a bit of a job on their hands, because rescheduling shows always frees up a lot of returned tickets for people who simply cant make the rescheduled dates. Aside from the price of the tickets to begin with, thats a lot of money for airfare and maybe pre-booked hotel accommodation and maybe holiday time from work too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 02:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:16

Montrealsuperfan

Any ideas of what I can do in Melbourne and Sydney next week, let me know.

These are 2 of the coolest cities on the planet. You will have a great time. And a train ride to Canberra (from Sydney) is extremely worthwhile. Check pollstar.com for concert info.

Posted by: SPellegrino ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:39

How is everyone doing in Perth that is already there?
I hope you are trying to make what you can of the trip and are able to handle the delays. Is BV still there? Guess he gets to go home two weeks early.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:40

Montrealsuperfan

Take the great ocean road, south of Melbourne, it is amazing. Melbourne itself is a great city to be in for a couple of days.
As for Sydney, go to the Blue Mountains and visit the northern beach (skip bondi beach as it just a massive tourist trap) it is stunning up there and I'm not not just saying that because I live there smiling smiley

If you want more detailed tips about Sydney feel free to email me!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:42

<<Any ideas of what I can do in Melbourne>>

Visit the "Wentworth Detention Center" aka the Channel 10 Studios (ATV10) in Nunawading, Melbourne, where the TV show Prisoner: Cell Block H (known in Australia as Prisoner) was filmed from 1979 to 1986.

All 692 episodes are currently up on YouTube (uploaded by PrisonerCellBlockH95). It is said that the building is soon to be demolished, as the adjacent land and lots has recently been bought up by developers, so this may be your last chance while you are visiting now. The show Neighbors was also filmed there, which included several members of the PCBH cast.

The building is located at the corner of Springvale and Hawthorn Rd in Nunawading.

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:52

Wuudy
Montrealsuperfan

Take the great ocean road, south of Melbourne, it is amazing. Melbourne itself is a great city to be in for a couple of days.
As for Sydney, go to the Blue Mountains and visit the northern beach (skip bondi beach as it just a massive tourist trap) it is stunning up there and I'm not not just saying that because I live there smiling smiley

If you want more detailed tips about Sydney feel free to email me!

Thanks appreciate it. Will need the names of some good pubs/bars in due course....

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:58

It is hoped the Rolling Stones will perform at Adelaide Oval in October after the band's current tour was cancelled, due to the death of leader singer Mick Jagger's partner in the United States.

The Stones were to be the official launch event for the upgraded Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

The head of the Stadium Management Authority Andrew Daniels hopes fans will get to see the band in October.

"We've been advised by the promoter please hold onto your tickets until further notice, they are looking at rescheduling the Australian tour, so [there are] plenty of discussions still to happen," he said.

South Australian Infrastructure Minister Tom Koutsantonis says the Government's $450,000 backing for the show will not be wasted.

"If the Rolling Stones don't play we get our money back," he said.

The finished upgrade of the Oval will now be revealed at Saturday-week's AFL Showdown between the Crows and Port Adelaide.

[www.abc.net.au]

Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:33

If the SA state election held last weekend and still undecided is won by the opposition, will they honour the $450000 payment? I have my doubts as the opposition leader stated strongly at the time back in November that he was against this "frivolous waste of taxpayers money" (paraphrased).

With the expected loss of a great percentage of tickets sales due to the high number of international and interstate guests that have no choice but to demand refunds, I speculate that it will be found that a return to Adelaide at this particular venue is truly not financially viable for the band or the promoters.

This event was hyped to be, and would have genuinely been an epic event for this small city had it occurred. The state was going to shut down half the city and spend a squillion on auxilliary events and public transport etc.

I would still attend a rescheduled show in October with my teenage daughter, but instead of being a sold out grand opening with the whole city behind it, the hype and spirit of the event will have been completely deflated and any sympathy for the band over their loss forgotten and replaced by apathy at best.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:43

I think the Jagger love on the return show would surpass the Keef love.

Any show will be amazing.

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 04:08

You can't imagine the opportunity (even Stones-free) that lies in front of you. I wish I were you, mate! I would DIE for the opportunity to go to Sydney and Melbourne!

Whatever happenned to "The show must go on"?
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:29

Its very sad that Mick's girlfriend took her life,but what happened to that old show business idea that the show must go on no matter what? I mean when Brian died,they were on stage two days later at Hyde Park..
Before anyone has a sissy fit,this is a valid question,jus askin....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: Whatever happenned to "The show must go on"?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:33

ROPENI
Its very sad that Mick's girlfriend took her life,but what happened to that old show business idea that the show must go on no matter what? I mean when Brian died,they were on stage two days later at Hyde Park..
Before anyone has a sissy fit,this is a valid question,jus askin....

I guess it's rock'n'roll...........no rules, play it by ear, whatever fits the occasion .....you know......

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:33

A sissy fit? grinning smiley

Without getting into the difference in relationships with Brian and L'Wren, "the show must go on" IS an OLD show business adage. Older generations believed you had a duty to be on stage no matter what, later generations have more flexible ideas.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:39

Brian was dead man walking, and Mick wasn't sleeping with him.

And, like others have said, no one wants to see Mick prancing around and asking, "Are you having a good time?" Too weird.

It reminds me of seeing Madonna and Billy Idol 2-3 days after 9/11. It was a huge elephant in the room, and no one was focused.

But it's a valid question.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:45

I'm sure the old saying "the show must go on" was never meant to mean that in every single circumstance, putting on "the show" should take priority over everything else. It was understood to be a general premise that professional performers have a job to do, an obligation to entertain the paying audience, regardless of their own personal feelings or emotional state. Much like people in other professions have a job to do and must carry on even when they would rather not be there. Ask yourself this question, would you enjoy being at a show where the main entertainer - Mick for example - is only there out of a sense of duty or contractual obligation? And he is just going through the motions of a performance when you feel his heart and mind is somewhere else but on the stage? I know I wouldn't.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 02:02 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:58

Nothing has changed. "The show must go on", and will go on.

Just at a new date.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:59

TornAndFried
I'm sure the old saying "the show must go on" was never meant to mean that in every single circumstance, putting on "the show" should take priority over everything else. It was understood to be a general premise that professional performers have a job to do, an obligation to entertain the paying audience...regardless of their own personal feelings or emotional state. Much like people in other professions have a job to do and must carry on even when they would rather not be there. Ask yourself this question, would you enjoy being at a show where the main entertainer - Mick for example - is only there out of a sense of duty or contractual obligation? And he is just going through the motions of a performance when you feel his heart and mind is somewhere else but on the stage? I know I wouldn't.

Agreed T&F....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:01

Write a song about it...move on...hours are like diamonds...

Date: March 19, 2014 02:04

Here it is!

Date: March 19, 2014 02:05

TornAndFried
I'm sure the old saying "the show must go on" was never meant to mean that in every single circumstance, putting on "the show" should take priority over everything else.

There was a time when it really did mean exactly that, though. I agree that there are/were occasions when this wasn't necessarily a good idea, but it was nevertheless expected--the old "stiff upper lip" mentality.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:15

I think its an awful, meaningless cliched expression which takes no account of individual circumstances or a person's feelings.

As paying customers, I dont think we have the right to demand that a performer just shuts a personal tragedy out of their life for a few hours for the sake of entertaining us.

If the Stones were to play shows this week, the entire focus of the show gets shifted away from the music to being some kind of bizarre and macabre voyeurism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 02:18 by Gazza.

Date: March 19, 2014 02:16

This expression probably came out of the old Vaudeville Trouper mentality, but even then I'm sure there were circumstances when it was not acceptable for "the show to go on." For example, during a time of national mourning following the death of a monarch or president. Or when there was some type of state crisis or calamity.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 02:19 by TornAndFried.

Date: March 19, 2014 02:21

Gazza
I think its an awful, meaningless cliched expression which takes no account of individual circumstances or a person's feelings.

As paying customers, I dont think we have the right to demand that a performer just shuts a personal tragedy out of their life for a few hours for the sake of entertaining us.

If the Stones were to play shows this week, the entire focus of the show gets shifted away from the music to being some kind of bizarre and macabre voyeurism.

I totally agree. That doesn't alter the fact of what it used to mean, though! I'm sure that TornAndFried is right that there were certain exceptions, but none that were purely personal. That's just the way it was.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:23

Gazza

Quoted for truth

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:28

Stoneburst
Gazza

Quoted for truth

Quoted for truth too....it would have been the end of the Stones

Date: March 19, 2014 02:31

Aquamarine
Gazza

I totally agree. That doesn't alter the fact of what it used to mean, though! I'm sure that TornAndFried is right that there were certain exceptions, but none that were purely personal. That's just the way it was.

Sure. Also keep in mind that up until recent times most stage performers and musicians were, class-wise, just a few steps up from ordinary household servants. They were often poorly paid and had few rights or privileges, and little in the way of personal choices. The decision whether or not to go on with the show was not often their's to make.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 02:52 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:34

I'm sure Mick is devastated, notwithstanding the old cliche. Every situation is unique.

Brian was someone they didn't even like; someone whose funeral Mick and Keith didn't even go to.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:37

I supposed one could ask themselves "would I go to a Stones concert 2 days after my girlfriend died?"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:44

The Stones know that they must go on and that they will, just as the old (cliched) saying goes.

What the saying does not stipulate is when exactly the show should go on.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:00

Jeez, Mick is damned no matter what he does! Imagine this: What would people say if Mick had "gone on with the show"? I can just hear it now, something along the lines of what a cold SOB he is, he doesn't care about anyone except himself, etc., the list goes on.

Please let the poor man grieve in peace, I can't even begin to imagine what he must be going through right now. The show will go on when he's good and ready.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2161
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home