Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14
Re: Whatever happenned to "The show must go on"?
Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:04

Strangely the stones did continue with their gigs in Paris after Keith's son died in 76. Am I right in thinking they took the recording from that very night for LYL? I don't know what the difference is except maybe Keith was on drugs or maybe wanted to go on so as to take his mind off it. I don't know what I'd want to do in either situation and hope I never have to find out.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:12

sjs12
Strangely the stones did continue with their gigs in Paris after Keith's son died in 76. Am I right in thinking they took the recording from that very night for LYL? I don't know what the difference is except maybe Keith was on drugs or maybe wanted to go on so as to take his mind off it. I don't know what I'd want to do in either situation and hope I never have to find out.
the thing you are correct about is when you said "I don't know what the difference is" and "I don't know what I'd want to do." Nobody does, yet we have people's opinions on what Mick should do.

That people are knocking him is incredible; actually not given the general level of stupidity that prevails on the internet.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:16

Seriously people, it's the Stones World...like nobody's come and gone in the midst of it all...must be a bunch of newbie's here.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:20

Thru and Thru
Jeez, Mick is damned no matter what he does! Imagine this: What would people say if Mick had "gone on with the show"? I can just hear it now, something along the lines of what a cold SOB he is, he doesn't care about anyone except himself, etc., the list goes on.

Please let the poor man grieve in peace, I can't even begin to imagine what he must be going through right now. The show will go on when he's good and ready.

thumbs up ...and..."does this man's greed have no limit"?.........even if he'd had the emotional energy to carry on he would have been slaughtered by the media. No doubt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 03:22 by EddieByword.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:21

Rokyfan
sjs12
the thing you are correct about is when you said "I don't know what the difference is" and "I don't know what I'd want to do." Nobody does, yet we have people's opinions on what Mick should do.

That people are knocking him is incredible; actually not given the general level of stupidity that prevails on the internet.

Strike through.......Just because to stop further discussing ..........

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:25

Aquamarine
A sissy fit? grinning smiley

Without getting into the difference in relationships with Brian and L'Wren, "the show must go on" IS an OLD show business adage. Older generations believed you had a duty to be on stage no matter what, later generations have more flexible ideas.

Pearl Jam cancelled a summer tour after Kurt Cobain committed suicide. They said it took the wind out of them.

The days of 'the show must go on' are over. Back when the Stones were cocky and against the world it "didn't matter" that Brian Jones had died or that Keith's infant son Tara died while on tour in 1976.

They've evolved. People grow up.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:30

Cafaro
I supposed one could ask themselves "would I go to a Stones concert 2 days after my girlfriend died?"

You can change that to "Would I go to work 2 days after my girlfriend died?"

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:41

@#$%& off all of you. Don't any of you have a heart?????? what is wrong with you?????

This sort of shit and cyberbullying god knows, the mick chicks and jerry have a lot to answer for.

the man is in pain. LEAVE IT ALONE.

LET"S SAY YOUR WIFE KILLED HERSELF> DOES THAT HELP YOU UNDERSTAND??

Date: March 19, 2014 03:42

GasLightStreet
Aquamarine
A sissy fit? grinning smiley

Without getting into the difference in relationships with Brian and L'Wren, "the show must go on" IS an OLD show business adage. Older generations believed you had a duty to be on stage no matter what, later generations have more flexible ideas.

Pearl Jam cancelled a summer tour after Kurt Cobain committed suicide. They said it took the wind out of them.

The days of 'the show must go on' are over. Back when the Stones were cocky and against the world it "didn't matter" that Brian Jones had died or that Keith's infant son Tara died while on tour in 1976.

They've evolved. People grow up.

Also, there was a different dynamic at work in each of the relationships.

First, Brian was/had been a male friend/gang member, who by all accounts already on the way out from the rest of the band emotionally anyway...........
Second, Keith's little son was just that, a tiny baby who Keith didn't actually know.....an attachment sure, but in reality a very embryonic one.........but by all accounts I've read, nevertheless, Keith's playing that night was particularly intense, plus he had loads of substances to help numb any pain.
Third, Mick's father, he knew he was ill, this time, a very personal situation that wasn't headline news all over the world so Mick could internalise it in private even if he was on stage.
This one, global coverage, not only in relation to Mick and who he is but also L'Wren and the fashion world.
They were togethor 13 years or so and she wasn't ill.
Lastly, nothing stuns you like suicide or murder. (1st hand experience)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 03:45 by EddieByword.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:52

<<First, Brian was/had been a male friend/gang member, who by all accounts already on the way out from the rest of the band emotionally anyway>>

Not by Bill Wyman's account, as given in the Crossfire Hurricane movie:

"The day of the Hyde Park concert, Mick was sitting over in the corner in tears. I said, 'Come on mate, you've got to pull yourself together.'"

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: March 19, 2014 03:56

I don't want to be entertained by wounded /wounding animals (humans)

Date: March 19, 2014 04:09

stonehearted
<<First, Brian was/had been a male friend/gang member, who by all accounts already on the way out from the rest of the band emotionally anyway>>

Not by Bill Wyman's account, as given in the Crossfire Hurricane movie:

"The day of the Hyde Park concert, Mick was sitting over in the corner in tears. I said, 'Come on mate, you've got to pull yourself together.'"

I mean generally speaking, (on the way out - ie - not completely departed) obviously they'd known him good few years and got on fairly well so they weren't going to be completely indifferent, I just mean there's a big emotional difference between the loss of a co-worker/mate who was very apparently starting to lose ground in relation to the band and his own welfare (too many drugs which he wasn't handling too well) and a lover of that many years who hadn't indicated anything like that was seriously on the cards.........

Re: Australia & New Zealand "14 On Fire" shows postponed
Posted by: Karlos123 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 04:48

So does anyone, insiders, maybe BV, know whether they really have a go for rescheduling the dates? Or is it just to calm the fans for a few days? And do you know what timeframe we are looking at? I can't make any date after June. So are we talking "soon", meaning before the European tour or after? Ocotober-ish?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 19, 2014 04:52

It kind of reminds me of the last Led Zeppelin tour of the US in 1977. I had never seen them and I was super excited to have my ticket to the show on August 6 1977 with a bunch of friends and family. The reviews were fantastic and the energy was exploding for the sold out general admission show in Rich Stadium.

Then less than two weeks before the show Robert Plant's son died of a stomach virus and the rest of the tour was cancelled along with:

New Orleans
Chicago
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia

Needless to say I was devastated. When they were rehearsing for the 1980 tour, Buffalo was again rumored to be on the tour stop but John Bonham died and it was over. They never toured again. To this day, I feel a huge loss for missing them twice in my mind but at least once with a ticket. It still hurts.

Re: OFFICIAL - AUS NZ TOUR POSTPONED
Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: March 19, 2014 05:01

Montrealsuperfan
Any ideas of what I can do in Melbourne and Sydney next week, let me know.

There's always plenty happening in Melbourne and Sydney. Bobby Keys' band is still doing a show on Monday night at The Basement in Sydney. The opening games of the Major League Baseball season are being played in Sydney for the first time ever, on Saturday and Sunday. Sydney is a great city to explore, especially at this time of year when the weather is neither too hot nor too cold. If this is your first time in Sydney you will have a huge number of things to see and/or do. If you'd like to indicate what you're interested in, I can suggest some options.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 19, 2014 05:03

NICOS
Rokyfan
sjs12

Strike through.......Just because to stop further discussing ..........
NICOS I'm not sure if we don't misunderstand each other. I don't tell anyone what to say and I don't say that anything should not be discussed. Not at all. If I say something is stupid, then that's my opinion, it's not a statement that they shouldn't say it. To me, any one knocking mick for cancelling is being stupid. But I think everyone should say what they want.

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: March 19, 2014 05:05

I read the news just before boarding the plane to Oz.

Incredible san news, I'm speechless...

For me it's too late to change travel plans as I've just arrives. Will be in Adelaide for the weekend if any of you are still going.

Incredibly sad turn of events

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:01

zgubi
I read the news just before boarding the plane to Oz.

Incredible san news, I'm speechless...

For me it's too late to change travel plans as I've just arrives. Will be in Adelaide for the weekend if any of you are still going.

Incredibly sad turn of events

I feel your pain. I was in Atlantic City when they cancelled in 2006. I was pretty pissed off then, but these are very different circumstances. I haven't left yet, so I got my money back on the air tickets and hotels (minus penalties) and will spend a weekend in Hawaii with the family. No Stones but a relaxing vacation and a chance to enjoy life. Tha seems fitting.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:02

I am waiting for the conspiracy theories.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:19

There is no book or plan written about these kinds of sad events occuring. I mean there are limitations on what you do planning for. Just let Mick and the band find their ground floor and have some time to think and talk. They are not machines or airplanes you caan just book on a certain date. They have to be there physically and emotional. Give them time. Then we will see.

For those whop are worried about the investmeent in your concert ticket: That investment will be returned if you are unable to attend the show at a later date.

For those who invested in travel and other external costs: That investment would be taken care of by your travel agency and your travel insurance. Just read the fine print and talk to them. It is always wise to be able to cancel flights and hotels on a short notice, but that is of course a choice and an option everyone have to look into. Following the Stones will always be a cost and a risk, cancellations and changes of the schedule do happen from time to time.

And please do not blame anyone - life is not easy alway.

Bjornulf

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:22

Frontier Touring have added this to their web site.

"Please note for ticket holders wishing an immediate refund, this option is now available to you via the ticketing agency you purchased from."

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:31

I'd be surprised if travel insurance covers circumstances involving other people.
It is generally for things that happen to you such as lost suitcases, health problems etc..
Good luck trying to claim accommodation and flights etc.. because a rock band cancelled their plans.
The only way would be if you bought tickets in a package (flight/accomm/concert).

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:35

Adelaide October

[www.adelaidenow.com.au]

PROMOTERS have confirmed The Rolling Stones will return to Adelaide Oval at the conclusion of this year’s football season.

A new date for the concert is expected to be made “in a very short space of time”, promoter Tony Cochrane told Advertiser.com.au

“It’s been an interesting 48 to 72 hours,” Mr Cochrane said.

“The band absolutely want to include Adelaide Oval in the new schedule ...

“We’re reworking what we can do after football season. It certainly won’t be during football season and as you’re are it’s an outdoor show so we can’t play an outdoor show in the winter.”

“The band are fully aware of that. One of the reasons the stadium was built was to get football there — and, as you are aware, you have got a football game there every week. We had a small window to do this concert and that window is now gone.”

The Rolling Stones announced this morning their Australasian tour had been postponed to enable frontman Mick Jagger to return to New York to mourn the death of his girlfriend, fashion designer L’Wren Scott.

Ms Scott was found dead in her Manhattan apartment on Monday.

The State Government spent $450,000 for the Rolling Stones to perform its only large-scale outdoor concert on Saturday as part of a tour of Australia and New Zealand.

Mr Cochrane said a new venue in Adelaide was never a choice for the iconic band.

“No, all the focus is currently keeping the Adelaide Oval date in the schedule,” he said.

“We sold over 50,000 tickets so we don’t have a choice. The Stones genuinely wanted to be the first act at Adelaide Oval and we’re still aiming for that. Both Mick and Charlie are huge cricket followers and all of that really counted for something when we did the deal back in August. None of that has changed.”

Mr Cochrane also confirmed the $450,000 invested by taxpayers to bring the band here will be returned to the government.

“That will be returned,” he said.

“There’s no question that the opening (won’t) go ahead as planned so from our point of view the government's $450,000 will be returned.”

The rescheduled show will include the giant stage used from Hyde Park and a decision will be made on what to do with the larger than life build in the coming days.

“That’s why we’re working around the clock to make sure this happens at Adelaide Oval exactly as it was,” he explained.

“It’s a big exercise — does that stage go back to Europe or do we hold it here? — we will answer those questions as soon as we can.”

Stadium Management Authority chief executive Andrew Daniels said the money had been paid by the government to the authority, which had paid it to the concert’s promoters.

STONES POSTPONE AUSSIE TOUR 0:53
Play video

The Rolling Stones have postponed their tour of Australia and New Zealand after L'Wren Scott's death.
“The Government will be receiving its money back, there is no doubt at all,” he told 891 ABC Adelaide.

“There were a number of insurance policies in place in the unlikely event that the concert could not go ahead.”

Most of the money went towards the large outdoor stage which was only to be used in Adelaide after being used by the band in England.

Mr Daniels said construction of the the stage - shipped out from the UK - was well advanced when the concert was postponed.

“Until we got the word about the cancellation or postponement of the concert it had to go ahead,” he said.

Work has now started on dismantling the stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 06:44 by Deathgod.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 19, 2014 06:40

band still in country

Maybe arena shows in a week or two, then back in Oct for one off mega Adelaide show

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 07:05

Don't forget also about Adelaide Oval. What, 50000 tickets? On a particular pre-sold seat/standing plan? I may be wrong but Adelaide Oval may be the only venue in the city that can the show.

We saw them putting up the stage yesterday for Saturdays show. So let's assume 3-4 days to put it up. Let's then assume another 2-3 days to get it down. Plus show day. So we need 6-8 days.

AFL footy season has started here and a quick look at the fixtures tells me they simply can't have this venue until after Sept in any event. Certainly no time in April/May, they they tour Europe.

I reckon October. If at all....

Have tickets for Perth in tier and front row seat in Adelaide so I want the tour, but I for one aren't really holding my breath. It would not surprise me to see it move from Postponed to Cancelled.

Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 07:23

Am I wrong to suggest (based on local knowledge), that the only reason the Adelaide concert had sold out 50000 tickets was due to very unique circumstances?
The govt support not only financially but in promotion and PR was top notch and we were promised a world class event.

It was the first show announced and drew outside interest as no one knew of the other dates for the rest of the nation until a few weeks later,

If we lose all the ticket holders from outside this state that jumped in early,then we could be down from 50000 to the kind of numbers that turned up for Voodoo Lounge in 1995, 30000 @ only $90 each.

I am very concerned that unless every seat is sold, the business minded types either in the band or the promoters will not be willing to take a loss just to present the concert.
Do you think that they'd show up if the stadium was only going to be two thirds full?

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: March 19, 2014 07:30

bitusa2012
AFL footy season has started here and a quick look at the fixtures tells me they simply can't have this venue until after Sept in any event. Certainly no time in April/May, they they tour Europe.

How about Hindmarsh Stadium? It holds 24,000 in concert mode. Perhaps two concerts may be needed to cater for the tickets sold for the Adelaide Oval show?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 07:42

Hindmarsh? Perhaps, but 2 shows?? So would everyone be able to have the seats they bought for the 1 big show? I think not. The seating area on the flat couldn't be as big as at Adelaide Oval so some like me with great seats could end up with not so good ones. I think they have to replicate the one big gig. So Adelside Oval it would have to be, surely? That means Oct at earliest.

I also would find it hard to think they would play some form of Arena Tour in April and return for one show in Adelaide in Oct. It's too far away isn't it - distance wise?

And if Hindmarsh could be done, would band be paid for 2 shows??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 08:07 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 19, 2014 07:43

Fair point Macnee2 but I was under the impression that it sold out immediately. It is very common here in Australia to travel interstate for concerts or sport events. I think pretty much everybody in Australia assumed that they would play more shows then just Adelaide. It's like going to the US and only play New Orleans.
The tickets for all the Aussie concerts went so fast, they know that there's a massive demand for them here.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 19, 2014 07:48

Do you think that they'd show up if the stadium was only going to be two thirds full?

YES... they put a 14 number on this tour and THEY WILL MAKE IT 14 SHOWS! at least

STONES!!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home