Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 40
Re: R.I.P. L'Wren Scott :- (
Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 19, 2014 17:39

Really, really nice stuff from all three, you can feel the warmth, especially from Keith.

Thanks, Cristiano.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 17:41 by angee.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 19, 2014 17:45

StonedInTokyo
proudmary
However, I find it strange that CindyC with her respectful desire to understand what happened was ostracized and banned while this puritanical finger-pointing does not cause any ill feeling

Puritanical finger-pointing? I can see where my interjection of some common sense into ill-mannered public discourse could be taken that way.

Now I gently invite you and others to note the subject line for this thread isn't Cindy C.

I said in my post that I agree with you, StonedInTokyo
by puritanical finger-pointing I mean what you call "ill-mannered public discourse"
I find all this blaming game that Bliss started totally inappropriated

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 19, 2014 17:46

rollingon
It's so strange that she apparently didn't leave any message to explain her decision, it could be even a little easier to understand then???

Keith's statement that "no-one saw this coming" seems to debunk the reports she had harmed herself about a month ago.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 17:57 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 19, 2014 17:47

angee
Really, really nice stuff from all three, you can feel the warmth, especially from Keith.

Thanks, Cristiano.

Yup, I thought the same. Short but warmful words from all three, and anyone who've lost a dear and close person knows the meaning of this kind of gesture.

Posted by: SPellegrino ()
Date: March 19, 2014 17:49

Some comments are just tasteless. Maybe out of respect for the current situation, the families and the memory of Ms Scott BV should close the Tell Me Forum for a little while.

I'd ask people to just cool it but we know that won't work.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2014 17:54

DandelionPowderman
It's popping up new L'Wren-threads all the time now. I wish, if possible, we could have this condolance-thread, and leave it at that...

CindyC was probably on to something in terms of creating a separate thread for those that felt the need to 'speculate'.

Obviously there are a few people, enough that needed an outlet to bash the topic around. It was unfortunate that all this happened so soon after the news, just hours really. Not enough time for most people to even digest the tragedy.

It was horrible to see all the speculation, and blaming that was occurring, so soon after, and without any facts. I understand people have a need for answers but it's unreasonable to expect answers so soon after.

What was needed was a bit of space. I was pretty shocked at those that immediately found blame with MJ. How completely unfair.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 19, 2014 18:04

StonedInTokyo
rollingon
It's so strange that she apparently didn't leave any message to explain her decision, it could be even a little easier to understand then???

Keith's statement that "no-one saw this coming" seems to debunk the reports she had harmed herself about a month ago.
or that Keith is not aware of everything that happens. Or that something happened that only close friends were aware of and kept under wraps. Or something else that you and I can't conjure. Who knows? This type of detective work is not really worth much, no?

Date: March 19, 2014 18:08

SPellegrino
Some comments are just tasteless. Maybe out of respect for the current situation, the families and the memory of Ms Scott BV should close the Tell Me Forum for a little while.

So you frequent the internet but you seem surprised to find tasteless comments and think that because of that the board should be shut down. I see tasteless comments everywhere. It is an unfortunate byproduct of freedom. Maybe you don't get to decide what is tasteless or not for everyone?

Date: March 19, 2014 18:10

EDIT: I give up. Pollute this board with gossip and speculations from rags - as much as you like. I'm outta here...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 14:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 19, 2014 18:12

Rokyfan
StonedInTokyo
rollingon

or that Keith is not aware of everything that happens. Or that something happened that only close friends were aware of and kept under wraps. Or something else that you and I can't conjure. Who knows? This type of detective work is not really worth much, no?

My only point is that thus far what the media is reporting and what the band members are saying are two very different things. No surprise, but something to be mindful of.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: March 19, 2014 18:19

Rokyfan
SPellegrino

So you frequent the internet but you seem surprised to find tasteless comments and think that because of that the board should be shut down. I see tasteless comments everywhere. It is an unfortunate byproduct of freedom. Maybe you don't get to decide what is tasteless or not for everyone?

Freedom...?
Freedom to blame people with self-built bad rumours... ?
That's crossing the border of freedom.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 19, 2014 18:26

Bliss
proudmary
DandelionPowderman
<to make judgmental pronouncements on Mick's relationship with L'Wren, particularly at this time.>

That's exactly what I don't get. Why do anyone think that this is an appropriate thing to do NOW?

The only reason I can think of is that one has insider knowledge, and doesn't think too highly of Mick...

the only insider knowledge this poster has are the gossips in tabloids
regard low opinion about Mick -on the contrary it is somewhat inverted too high opinion of him as super male who can bring any woman - this weak fragile creation who is not able to live without man - to suicide.
as if there was no feminism

I do not know what feminism has to do with anything. But if L'Wren was not driven to despair by a business failure, as has been widely reported, is it not reasonable to think that it was due to her personal life?

Let's not drag gender stereotypes into L'Wren Scott's death
Coverage of the designer's apparent suicide has focused on her childlessness and unmarried status, when the truth is that 90% of those who kill themselves suffer from psychiatric disorders
[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 19, 2014 19:11

to expect that no one on a Stones message board would not speculate and discuss the biggest Stones related event in...since...who know when.. is a bit silly and just not realistic. How can we be expected to ignore this massive news bombshell? I suppose there should be zero news coverage about it and no one should ever discuss it amongst eachother too??

We can ONLY discuss the music itself now? This holier-than-thou BS has really gotten out of hand. If some of you are really SO appaled by the posts here post elsewhere and just dont read it!! You hate to discuss this but keep coming back for more.....?

Date: March 19, 2014 19:20

EDIT: I give up. Pollute this board with gossip and speculations from rags - as much as you like. I'm outta here...

Date: March 19, 2014 19:21

lettingitbleed
to expect that no one on a Stones message board would not speculate and discuss the biggest Stones related event in...since...who know when.. is a bit silly and just not realistic. How can we be expected to ignore this massive news bombshell? I suppose there should be zero news coverage about it and no one should ever discuss it amongst eachother too??

We can ONLY discuss the music itself now? This holier-than-thou BS has really gotten out of hand. If some of you are really SO appaled by the posts here post elsewhere and just dont read it!! You hate to discuss this but keep coming back for more.....?

Nice rant and wonderful hyberbole

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 19, 2014 19:22

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman
<to make judgmental pronouncements on Mick's relationship with L'Wren, particularly at this time.>

That's exactly what I don't get. Why do anyone think that this is an appropriate thing to do NOW?

The only reason I can think of is that one has insider knowledge, and doesn't think too highly of Mick...

This. I mean...I hold no candle for Mick Jagger whatsoever, he's a conservative multimillionaire rock star who totally betrayed the spirit of the 60s, his ticket prices are outrageous, he treated Mick Taylor like shit for years and continued to do so on this tour, and - yes - there's not insubstantial evidence to suggest that his attitude towards women is deeply distasteful, to say the least. Do I feel bad for him right now on a human level? Of course I do. That sympathy doesn't exclude the possibility that he was in some way responsible for L'Wren's suicide, nor is it based on that possibility. Whatever the circumstances, someone he (perhaps formerly) cared about is dead in awful circumstances. That entitles him to sympathy and understanding, period.

This is an individual tragedy that has taken place amidst a vast showbiz circus. So it isn't surprising that many here and elsewhere have failed to differentiate the private from the public (CindyC having been an extreme case in point: even if you accept that Jagger was definitely to blame, what is anyone on this board going to do about it? Give him a stern talking to?) Most of the discussions on this board have said far more about fan psychology than they do about these actual events: the need to feel close to the band, the need to intimate that we all understand more than we do and that we're all insiders in a sense, and above all the need to share in the tragedy - which is precisely what we cannot do. No-one here was a part of L'Wren's life. It is not our loss, no matter what spin you put on it. That's it.

For the life of me, I can't understand the need to draw attention to oneself in a condolence thread. I guess that's why I'm not a psychologist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 19:25 by drbryant.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 19, 2014 19:29

This story has been published by the Daily Mail. Excuse me if it has been posted before.

BySara Malmand Meghan Keneallyand Candace Sutton

PUBLISHED: 09:21, 19 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:35, 19 March 2014

One of Mick Jagger's Rolling Stones bandmates today told how the 70-year-old singer is in poor health following the death of his long-term partner L'Wren Scott.

Stones drummer Charlie Watts told the MailOnline that Jagger had been left dazed and unwell following the fashion designer's apparent suicide on Monday.

'He's holding up. He's okay,' Watts shrugged, but then added: 'He's not really well. He's not really here. It was such a shock.'

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 19, 2014 19:30

I would agree that would be in poor taste. Sometimes people say things or float ideas out there some may not agree with. I feel they should still have the right to say it. You know, free speech and all that....

Date: March 19, 2014 19:34

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 19, 2014 19:36

lettingitbleed

I am here for the music, I had no idea who this lady was until the tragedy. Same goes for the others and their families, simply not on my radar. I go to shows and show up here for the latest, greatest versions of their tunes. Is this a Stones event or a personal event? I think more personal even though it effects the tour and all that... I am sad for Mick the person but have little interest in the grisly details. Blaming the survivor is an idiot's miscalculation. Mick Taylor has had his life resurrected by Jagger as he's been in his court since the ugly article showing his shoddy life came public. Ticket prices and betrayal of the 60's spirit??? give me a break, if you knew them for a minute you'd sense their genuine spirituality. In this world you are worth what you can get paid, these guys like to live big or they wouldn't tour. Take it or leave it, Stoneburst.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 19:41 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 19, 2014 19:52

DandelionPowderman
lettingitbleed
I would agree that would be in poor taste. Sometimes people say things or float ideas out there some may not agree with. I feel they should still have the right to say it. You know, free speech and all that....

Is it not ok to respond to what one find tasteless?

Cheers to that Dandelion.

And as far as 'free speech' is concerned...this is BVs website, his not-for-profit passion.

We post here as his clients. He certainly is in it at least partially to keep his clients (and in many cases I'm sure his friends) happy.

Hard to find the right balance, and I'm sure he makes his share of mistakes, however NO WHERE is it stated that on his website we have a right to free speech, to say whatever we want, without moderation.

In fact, he's gone to great lengths to explain his position on these matters.

So, if you want completely free speech, you can get it anywhere on the web. Go join a yahoo 'chat room' (am I dating myself?) and have 'at-er'.

But if BV wants a little civility exercised, especially in view of this tragedy, the last thing I want to hear is ranting of 'my freedom of speech!' on a condolences thread.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 19:56

Silver Dagger
This story has been published by the Daily Mail. Excuse me if it has been posted before.

BySara Malmand Meghan Keneallyand Candace Sutton

PUBLISHED: 09:21, 19 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:35, 19 March 2014

One of Mick Jagger's Rolling Stones bandmates today told how the 70-year-old singer is in poor health following the death of his long-term partner L'Wren Scott.

Stones drummer Charlie Watts told the MailOnline that Jagger had been left dazed and unwell following the fashion designer's apparent suicide on Monday.

'He's holding up. He's okay,' Watts shrugged, but then added: 'He's not really well. He's not really here. It was such a shock.'

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Wow, the Daily Mail really broke this story! Pulizer prize winning investigative journalism at its finest. Of course he's not well, his lover just committed suicide while he was thousands of miles away on tour. It's not like he's going to be, "well, yeah it's a real drag man but y'know birds whatcha gonna do? Oh my drummer please pass me another scone!" Unbelievable how stating the obvious can be considered newsworthy. In other news, "Mick Jagger woke up today, details to follow."

But in all seriousness it must really be gutwrenching for Charlie, Keith, Ronnie, hell all of them seeing their good friend in such a state. That's really the story how long-time friends, despite differences and the past, rally around their dear friend in such a time of devastating sorrow.

Date: March 19, 2014 19:58

treaclefingers

And as far as 'free speech' is concerned...this is BVs website, his not-for-profit passion.

We post here as his clients. He certainly is in it at least partially to keep his clients (and in many cases I'm sure his friends) happy.

Hard to find the right balance, and I'm sure he makes his share of mistakes, however NO WHERE is it stated that on his website we have a right to free speech, to say whatever we want, without moderation.

So, if you want completely free speech, you can get it anywhere on the web. Go join a yahoo 'chat room' (am I dating myself?) and have 'at-er'.

But if BV wants a little civility exercised, especially in view of this tragedy, the last thing I want to hear is ranting of 'my freedom of speech!' on a condolences thread.

BV can delete what he wants and have whatever rules he wants, I certainly agree with that; it's his site. I would never respond to any decision that BV made with respect to this site with a reference to free speech.

What that has to do with one poster telling another what should or should not be posted is beyond me. Someone said what we can't do "here" and nobody has the right to say that except the owner of the site. BV can decide what is appropriate, tasteless, whatever. The opinion of others are irrelevant. If you think that is a rant, you have a problem.

Date: March 19, 2014 20:02

DandelionPowderman
lettingitbleed

So for you it's perfectly ok to post that Mick was responsible for her death, hours after her passing?

It should be ok to respond to what one considers to be offensive behaviour, no? It's got nothing to do with being "holier than thou"...

I don't know who posted that, I haven't read that. To say Mick was responsible would be idiotic and facile. I believe what I have read about her being distraught over Mick breaking up with her. If that was a motivating factor, that is not blaming Mick. Nobody can know what anybody else will do, he is not responsible for her actions. He may think so, who knows, that's between Mick and his conscience.

And to call her his ex-girlfriend is not to minimize his grief. I believe from what I have read and what I am inferring that Mick is truly devastated by this event. I don't think their breaking up makes it easier for him I think it makes it harder for him. I feel tremendously for mick at this moment, he seems distraught and it is understandable.

But that doesn't mean that things should be swept under a rug; that PR bullshit should be swallowed hook, line and sinker,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 20:03 by Rokyfan.

Date: March 19, 2014 20:03

Rokyfan
treaclefingers

BV can delete what he wants and have whatever rules he wants, I certainly agree with that; it's his site. I would never respond to any decision that BV made with respect to this site with a reference to free speech.

What that has to do with one poster telling another what should or should not be posted is beyond me. Someone said what we can't do "here" and nobody has the right to say that except the owner of the site. BV can decide what is appropriate, tasteless, whatever. The opinion of others are irrelevant. If you think that is a rant, you have a problem.

You are certainly within your right to think I have a problem.

But with respect to your last post, your suggesting that anyone should be allowed to throw up whatever they want, and if BV doesn't like it, he can clean it up.

Why should he have to do that? That's time and effort that is completely unnecessary, if your using the forum as intended.

Remember, you have other resources to post your free speech. BVs clearly stated that's not what this forum is for. You need to get over yourself.

Date: March 19, 2014 20:04

Date: March 19, 2014 20:06

treaclefingers
Rokyfan
treaclefingers

You are certainly within your right to think I have a problem.

But with respect to your last post, your suggesting that anyone should be allowed to throw up whatever they want, and if BV doesn't like it, he can clean it up.

Why should he have to do that? That's time and effort that is completely unnecessary, if your using the forum as intended.

Remember, you have other resources to post your free speech. BVs clearly stated that's not what this forum is for. You need to get over yourself.

I'm not saying he should do that, I'm saying he makes the rules not you. Is someone posting something against applicable rules? He's not aware of the discussions here?

And "you need to get over yourself"?? You need some new cliches.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 19, 2014 20:07

drbryant
For the life of me, I can't understand the need to draw attention to oneself in a condolence thread. I guess that's why I'm not a psychologist.

I resent this comment. What I posted was not about highlighting my own views: it was a reminder that fandom conflates the public and the private, and that this is something we should all be wary of in the aftermath of such tragedies as this. Did you actually read what I wrote?

Frankly, if you're looking to condemn narcissistic reactions to L'Wren Scott's death, there are many, many more obvious targets on this board than me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 20:07 by Stoneburst.

Date: March 19, 2014 20:09

I suggest another look at DoomandGloom's fantastic post from yesterday

"Reading through these posts I see a general disconnect between being a fan, enjoying the fantasy of the greatest band in the world and these people's real life troubles. By speculating you embarrass yourself, by stating the obvious you embarrass everyone here including the band. Comments contained here can only distance the tiny influence we may have in song choices et et.. BV is doing his best to fight off the censorship claims from some here but my point is self censorship or self control are in order instead. We don't need links, for example to every dirty detail in the press, certainly we all have the acumen to find these ourselves if we wish to."

I will only add that it is actually the non-obviousness of these recent events that dictate self censorship and restraint.

Date: March 19, 2014 20:09

DandelionPowderman
There is a difference between telling people what they can't do and telling them why they find a post offensive.

IMO, it's the latter people have done here...

Fair enough. I have no problem with anyone giving their opinion. Others have called for topics and people to be banned, that's what I don't like (not saying you have done that), but as everyone notes, BV is entitled to have the site that he wants.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 40

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home