Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 40
Re: R.I.P. L'Wren Scott :- (
Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: March 18, 2014 18:48

Munichhilton
hbwriter
Bellajane

I was so afraid of this. These bastards have no shame, and it's only the beginning.

but it's nothing really new- come on- spectacular celebrity crash and burns have always been tabloid cat nip - why? because the people will pay for it.

I feel cheated without a white Ford Bronco...

I'm assuming you're referring to OJ..who is safe and sound in prison where he should be!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 18, 2014 18:49

Rev. Robert W.
latebloomer
treaclefingers
hbwriter
Screamer
[www.facebook.com]

I am still struggling to understand how my lover and best friend could end her life in this tragic way.

We spent many wonderful years together and had made a great life for ourselves.

She had great presence and her talent was much admired, not least by me.

I have been touched by the tributes that people have paid to her, and also the personal messages of support that I have received.

I will never forget her,
Mick

i just saw this too - and found it curious that the photo he chose to include was of her alone- not the two of them together.

I think he wanted a picture that captured her spirit, which this one does. It's about her life, not their life together. As to the formal nature of the message, Mick is a very private person, for him to write this much is probably more than he feels comfortable with. I think we can all agree that there's no right or wrong in how people express their grief.

So well said, hbwriter. Spot-on, I think.

Jagger's statement was perfectly lovely and perfectly dignified.

that eloquence was from latebloomer - and yes it was beautifully put

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: March 18, 2014 18:49

hbwriter
Bellajane

I was so afraid of this. These bastards have no shame, and it's only the beginning.

but it's nothing really new- come on- spectacular celebrity crash and burns have always been tabloid cat nip - why? because the people will pay for it.

True, but the Leveson inquiry was meant to get rid of this type of tabloid behavior.

It hurts so many people regardless of how much £'s it can make. The UK press just not give a damn and if anything I (and thousands of others) are completely embarrassed by their actions.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 18, 2014 18:50

Reading through these posts I see a general disconnect between being a fan, enjoying the fantasy of the greatest band in the world and these people's real life troubles. By speculating you embarrass yourself, by stating the obvious you embarrass everyone here including the band. Comments contained here can only distance the tiny influence we may have in song choices et et.. BV is doing his best to fight off the censorship claims from some here but my point is self censorship or self control are in order instead. We don't need links, for example to every dirty detail in the press, certainly we all have the acumen to find these ourselves if we wish to.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 18, 2014 18:55

Unfortunately with all the media coverage Mick is getting,Mick and his team have got to tread so carefully in what he says and does at this difficult time.

The British gutter press are unrelenting at times and I do hope they leave him alone , and give him plenty of space and privacy that any person in grief deserves.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 18, 2014 18:56

latebloomer
I think he wanted a picture that captured her spirit, which this one does. It's about her life, not their life together. As to the formal nature of the message, Mick is a very private person, for him to write this much is probably more than he feels comfortable with. I think we can all agree that there's no right or wrong in how people express their grief.

His sentiment was lovely. I have never seen him make such a personal gesture, I wasn't expecting anything at all from him.

I also agree somewhat with LadyJayne - I think the "great presence" was a little lacking, and would probably feel a little hurt too. But seeing that fashion and beauty was her thing, maybe that's a thoughtful compliment that she would like.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: March 18, 2014 18:58

Wow.. this is sad news...

RIP L'Wren...
My condealances to her family and friends...

-Menno

[www.bbc.com]

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-18 19:01 by MononoM.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:02

Very sad.
I like Mick´s sentimental sentences. All the best to him.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:04

petewasbristol
hbwriter
Bellajane

True, but the Leveson inquiry was meant to get rid of this type of tabloid behavior.

It hurts so many people regardless of how much £'s it can make. The UK press just not give a damn and if anything I (and thousands of others) are completely embarrassed by their actions.

Maybe this isn't the best time and place to debate press morals/freedom but Levison was actually mostly about phone hacking and other illegal activities, not publishing photos of public figures, however grief stricken, taken in a public place. I deplore some of the activities of the media (more the lazy recycling of PR placed stories than intrusive reporting) but the most hard hitting stories on this topic have actually been in the US press which has gone with on-record sourced stories from former employees/friends of Ms Scott suggesting her unhappiness was as a result of relationship breakdown. Both Jagger and Scott are media veterans who court publicity for their business activities and I don't see anything immoral, much less illegal in the coverage of this tragic event, which is newsworthy and plainly of interest to many.

Posted by: andrewt ()

DoomandGloom
Reading through these posts I see a general disconnect between being a fan, enjoying the fantasy of the greatest band in the world and these people's real life troubles. By speculating you embarrass yourself, by stating the obvious you embarrass everyone here including the band. Comments contained here can only distance the tiny influence we may have in song choices et et.. BV is doing his best to fight off the censorship claims from some here but my point is self censorship or self control are in order instead. We don't need links, for example to every dirty detail in the press, certainly we all have the acumen to find these ourselves if we wish to.

The notion of self censorship worries me as much as imposed censorship. In fact, when it comes to depression and anxiety, self censorship can be fatal. It is good to discuss these things if for no other reason than to reduce the stigma surrounding suicide. However, forums like these can create a false sense of intimacy, and it is wise to be mindful of the fact that things said here can be broadcast further than intended. This situation is unprecedented so there will be some missteps, but as hbwriter mentioned earlier, I think overall people are being pretty good about the whole thing. Speculation is a natural reaction in times likes this as people try to give meaning to the meaningless. I agree it's best not to encourage the bottom feeders who come out to make a quick buck off of, or gain quick notoriety, out of tragedy, and I think for the most part the people on this board are not taking the bait.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-18 19:06 by andrewt.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()

CindyC
latebloomer

His sentiment was lovely. I have never seen him make such a personal gesture, I wasn't expecting anything at all from him.

I also agree somewhat with LadyJayne - I think the "great presence" was a little lacking, and would probably feel a little hurt too. But seeing that fashion and beauty was her thing, maybe that's a thoughtful compliment that she would like.

thumbs up

Date: March 18, 2014 19:05

DoomandGloom

i will keep saying- I think this thread (and the others) have been respectful, impassioned, honest and forthright - everyone approaches things differently; I think the balance here has been impressive and more than mindful of taste standards.

Posted by: Roll73 ()

hbwriter
Rev. Robert W.
latebloomer
treaclefingers
hbwriter
Screamer
[www.facebook.com]

I am still struggling to understand how my lover and best friend could end her life in this tragic way.

I have been touched by the tributes that people have paid to her, and also the personal messages of support that I have received.

I will never forget her,
Mick

i just saw this too - and found it curious that the photo he chose to include was of her alone- not the two of them together.

Think you'll find it was Treacle fingers who said it. Shows how easy it is to incorrectly report something I guess.

Munichhilton
hbwriter
71Tele
Way too much speculation here. Sometimes it is appropriate to simply say nothing at all. We do not need to express our opinion about every situation or tragedy. Nature abhors a vacuum, and it's human nature to try to fill the void of things we don't know - or can't know - with our own speculation. But sometimes it is best to resist that natural urge and just let it be. Why can't we just agree that we can't possibly know what was in the mind of someone who chooses to take such horrific and tragic action?

i agree with the spirit of this in part, but i don't see any wild speculation here- just fans sharing their thoughts and feelings, which is natural. I don't think anyone claims to know what was in her mind, but on a fan board where dissection and opinion is sort of the purpose of it all, i actually think people here have been respectful, reflective and classy. There are facts here that can't be ignored - i don't see the problem with acknowledging them, as part of the process of shock and grief. Everybody approaches these things in their own way -some are more spiritual, some are more clinical and everything in between. And if some have opinions that stem from those, within the bounds of taste and decency, i'd say those observations are fine. But overall, again, i'm impressed with all of the voices here - everyone is just being who they are.

hb, you keep up that kind of level headed talk coupled with your measured and well thought approach and you could be a writer someday!

a hard boiled writer maybe.

Posted by: stonesmog ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:08

I wasn't going to post until I saw the picture on Mick's facebook & my eyes filled with tears. It's a beautiful image and his words are heartbreaking.
Many condolences and best wishes to the ones who'll love and miss her so much.
So sad.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:10

Post written, without my having read many following posts:

Bliss
Just as all the would-be censors around here expect to air their opinions freely, would they kindly allow others the same freedom?

Another way of seeing it, there are different standards.

1) A few want to express their opinions freely, be it on the basis of facts, speculations and gossip alike, and at any time, without any regard for events that have so newly happened, and for shocked and sad feelings that have not yet started to be grieved.

2) Some more, though with a distance of time from sad events, would possibly censure some ways of life, but not other ways, provided that the basis mainly is facts and not primarily speculation. Where we cannot know what we are confronting here. [There are probably not two attitudes only, but maybe instead a continuum of attitudes from 1 to 2.]

3) A small group of persons think, even when the opinions may be facts based, that there are not in any respect common standards for ways of life, from which always to be able to evaluate morally the life of other people, be they unknown persons or celebrities.

(Myself I tend to belong to 3. To my eyes, for the kind of challenging and at times dangerous band the Rolling Stones have been, I find that is the attitude I only have to take.)

hbwriter
mickschix
I personally think it is inappropriate for any of us to run wild with speculation and repeat what the tabloids are saying because right now Mick is in bad pain...no matter the circumstances, and if we care about MICK, the man, we should simply send positive, healing thoughts and prayers his way (and to her family and friends.)..nothing else should matter...this was someone very close to him, end of story...all of the gossip and guessing about this VERY PERSONAL MATTER is frankly disgusting.

where are people running wild with speculation? simply by citing high profile reports? where is the "gossip and guessing"? i think you are wildly overstating - these are highly public people that make news - a reasonable discussion of events hardly seems untoward. That's all that is happening here. Do you discuss the missing malaysian plane? crimea? those all have personal components as well- this is also a "news" story. Personally, i do not care about "MICK the man" (whatever that means) - I care about music. And i feel for *anyone* that must endure this sort of loss as an order of humanity - not because they are a rock star i admire.

If I'm tired of anything here it is the sanctimonious preaching about things that are not even happening - and being told what I *should* be feeling.

It may be correct that not so many enter into gossip and guessing at the moment, but a few posters have. You state that you care about music, not about "Mick the man". For those here who are most thankful for what they over the years have received and receive of music, what you write will by some, me included, be taken as rather coldhearted, my apology if that is an unkind address. Maybe, those of us have to learn that we are a minority, possibly a greater minority than what transpires. Then this is to me a reminder that much of the community of Stones fans maybe is not that deep, but mostly on the surface, as soon as there starts to be some heart and love concerned, as well, for the members of the band, for us having been admitted to take part in a musical and emotional journey (most often, thankfully, in a non-sentimental way) over the decades. For quite many it seems that it will be not more than they feel that they have paid for as customers.

To me, and probably not only me, it was nice and moving to read your post, mickschix, thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-18 19:19 by Witness.

Date: March 18, 2014 19:11

Roll73
hbwriter
Rev. Robert W.
latebloomer
treaclefingers
hbwriter
Screamer
[www.facebook.com]

I will never forget her,
Mick

Think you'll find it was Treacle fingers who said it. Shows how easy it is to incorrectly report something I guess.

am i misreading this then?

latebloomer

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:19

Bellajane
Munichhilton
hbwriter
Bellajane

I feel cheated without a white Ford Bronco...

I'm assuming you're referring to OJ..who is safe and sound in prison where he should be!

Indeed I am and indeed he is...on unrelated charges no less!!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:21

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
hbwriter
71Tele
Way too much speculation here. Sometimes it is appropriate to simply say nothing at all. We do not need to express our opinion about every situation or tragedy. Nature abhors a vacuum, and it's human nature to try to fill the void of things we don't know - or can't know - with our own speculation. But sometimes it is best to resist that natural urge and just let it be. Why can't we just agree that we can't possibly know what was in the mind of someone who chooses to take such horrific and tragic action?

i agree with the spirit of this in part, but i don't see any wild speculation here- just fans sharing their thoughts and feelings, which is natural. I don't think anyone claims to know what was in her mind, but on a fan board where dissection and opinion is sort of the purpose of it all, i actually think people here have been respectful, reflective and classy. There are facts here that can't be ignored - i don't see the problem with acknowledging them, as part of the process of shock and grief. Everybody approaches these things in their own way -some are more spiritual, some are more clinical and everything in between. And if some have opinions that stem from those, within the bounds of taste and decency, i'd say those observations are fine. But overall, again, i'm impressed with all of the voices here - everyone is just being who they are.

hb, you keep up that kind of level headed talk coupled with your measured and well thought approach and you could be a writer someday!

With a critical eye and a knack at solving crime...

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:22

hbwriter
Bellajane
parislocksmith
Lurid coverage of L'Wren Scott's death shows British tabloids at their worst

This is an opportunity to avoid feeding the machine.
Don't buy their magazines, watch their TV shows, or click on their websites.
The tabloids exist for days like these. Don't reward them for it.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:32

During these difficult times you want to be left alone and grieving, but this is to deaf ears towards the gossip press, the Stones know and fortunately they have their security people and I myself can't stand gossip

Date: March 18, 2014 19:37

but gang - face it- this is a news story - there is no shame in reading details about this - someone just sent me a ny daily news story about l'wren's maid - now, for sure they are trying to get more readers with it- but as a journalist, i recognize a couple of telling things within the article - a matter of being able to separate the tawdry from the actual facts? perhaps - but when a highly accomplished woman that also happens to be (or have been) the paramour of the most famous rocker in the world commits suicide - especially in such a dramatic way - guess what? it is news.

Posted by: ndhan ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:39

I don't personally know L'Wren or Mick but the shocking news of her death has really shaken me. I always admired her classy presence and thought she had it all, personally and professionally. It certainly reminds me that we can never really know what's going on in someone else's life and mind by judging it from outward appearances. My heart goes out to Mick, their families and friends, and the many people who are today mourning her loss.

Lurker Nancy

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:39

Witness, I think you greatly underestimate the proportion of those here who *do* care about the man as a human being, as well as appreciating his professional gifts, though usually not knowing him personally. In my view, most of us do care, whatever category of yours we might fit into, and on whichever other matters we may disagree.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: March 18, 2014 19:44

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
hbwriter
71Tele

With a critical eye and a knack at solving crime...

...or something

Posted by: SPellegrino ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:46

We care because we too live on this planet and suffer the same triumph, heartbreak, grief, and renewal that humanity offers to us without explanation or guidance. Regardless of money, stature, success and heritage we all have to do our best to get through each day.

Some have an easier time than most but we all face these issues eventually.

I hope the world will step back and give the Jaggers and Scotts the time to grieve and heal.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:46

Yes,

I am finding the tabloid coverage of L'Wren's demise disturbing: did they have to be so intrusive to take a photo of Mick Jagger, when it appeared that he was deeply upset ?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:47

I don't think that photo of Mick coming out of the restaurant did him a disservice.

Lou Reed once wrote "there's a bit of good in everything".

Rightly or wrongly over the decades Mick has had to wear the reputation of a "take or leave it - heartbreaking heart of stone".

The report that he had tears rolling down his face in the restaurant and that photo............well it kicks all that previous crap into touch, you never know, he might find that he's treated a bit more humanely as a result.........

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:48

angee
Witness, I think you greatly underestimate the proportion of those here who *do* care about the man as a human being, as well as appreciating his professional gifts, though usually not knowing him personally. In my view, most of us do care, whatever category of yours we might fit into, and on whichever other matters we may disagree.

Maybe I did in the state of the moment, confronted with what I had read, and I would really hope so, but that was also the reason why I added the following reservation:
"possibly a greater minority than what transpires"

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:50

The Rolling Stones are deeply sorry and disappointed to announce the postponement of the rest of their 14 ON FIRE tour of Australia and New Zealand following the death of L’Wren Scott.

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood wish to thank all of their fans for their support at this difficult time and hope that they will fully understand the reason for this announcement.

The Rolling Stones are planning to reschedule these postponed shows at a later date.

The postponed shows are:

Perth Arena – 19 March - postponed
Adelaide Oval – 22 March - postponed
Sydney Allphones Arena – 25 March - postponed
Melbourne Rod Laver Arena – 28 March - postponed
Macedon Ranges Hanging Rock – 30 March - postponed
Brisbane Entertainment Centre – 2 April - postponed
Auckland Mt Smart Stadium – 5 April - postponed

Australia/New Zealand promoters ask ticket holders to please hold on to their tickets until further notice. A new schedule of dates is presently being worked on and will be advised as soon as possible. Information will be made available via rollingstones.com and frontiertouring.com as soon as available.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 40

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home