Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 24
Re: OT: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014
Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: February 12, 2014 19:15

yep and now 6 gold medals !

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 12, 2014 19:22

jpasc95
man, it goes too fast for me ..Norway is on fire on ice !

The athletes out of Norway and Canada (the two leaders) are on 'fire on ice.' But they must get a lot practice if they live in those areas (my little joke).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 13, 2014 00:07

Now has the ice hockey tuornament began as well. Sweden was so powerful as they were expected to be. An impressive performance for the first 30 minutes or so during which The Czechs did not have any chance. After that they calmed down, and the game was rather even. But altogether a great hockey match - there was so much skill on the ice. Damn that Jagr guy is still an excellent player!

Switzerland had trouble with Latvia, but with a little luck in the last seconds, they won the - rightly - game 1:0. Based on the highlights I saw, an amazing goalie the Latvians had.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 00:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 13, 2014 00:45

Yes, Doxa they are looking impressive (Swedes). I don't know if that is a good sign though. Sometimes it isn't...
Only one player from the Swedish Hockey Leauge in the team though. All the others are NHL players.

Date: February 13, 2014 10:52

Big game tonight. Can Zuccarello lead Norway to the impossible?

If so, I'm gonna have fun with treacle tonite grinning smiley

But it will never happen, of course, although we managed a draw a couple of years back.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 13, 2014 17:31

DandelionPowderman

But it will never happen, of course, although we managed a draw a couple of years back.

It would have been fun Dandy, but my prediction is that you'll not be having fun tonight...like lamb's being led to the slaughter, sadly.

Quite interesting how closely the top 5 countries are bunched together. At this point it seems "anyone's Olympics" but I have a feeling the Germans are going to stay pretty strong.

Date: February 13, 2014 18:00

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

It would have been fun Dandy, but my prediction is that you'll not be having fun tonight...like lamb's being led to the slaughter, sadly.

Quite interesting how closely the top 5 countries are bunched together. At this point it seems "anyone's Olympics" but I have a feeling the Germans are going to stay pretty strong.

Any sane person would say you're right about this smiling smiley

The swedes look strong...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 13, 2014 18:07

The Swedes looks extremly strong...at least on the paper...we'll see and Watch...

2 1 2 0

Date: February 13, 2014 18:44

wow spoiler

Evgeni Plushenko has withdrawn from skating the mens individual competition ending his olympic career. what a legend

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 13, 2014 18:50

Ryan Miller is still better than Quick. Miller plays on a crap team but not for long. As long as Pegula owns this team it will never be a winner. He's in it for the money and nothing more. For the last 3 years he has raised the price of EVERYTING and Sabres are the worst team in the NHL.

Date: February 13, 2014 18:51

keefriffhard4life
wow spoiler

Evgeni Plushenko has withdrawn from skating the mens individual competition ending his olympic career. what a legend

Why? Whaddup?

Date: February 13, 2014 19:00

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life
wow spoiler

Why? Whaddup?

hurt his back

Date: February 13, 2014 19:07

No surprises in ice-hockey so far - Finland, USA and Russia easily won their games as was expected. I didn't see the game, but seemingly USA's performance was very impressive - smashed Slovakia 7:1. It doesn't look too good for neither Slovakia or Czech at the moment.

Finland won Austria 8:4 with a so-so performance, and very difficult to draw any conclusions. But the Swedish press did, and declared that no medal hope for Finnish Team [www.expressen.se] angry smiley We see that, we see that, my dear sweet neigbours...winking smiley

Now, good luck, Norway!thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 19:09 by Doxa.

Date: February 13, 2014 19:15

Doxa
No surprises in ice-hockey so far - Finland, USA and Russia easily won their games as was expected. I didn't see the game, but seemingly USA's performance was very impressive - smashed Slovakia 7:1. It doesn't look too good for neither Slovakia or Czech at the moment.

Finland won Austria 8:4 with a so-so performance, and very difficult to draw any conclusions. But the Swedish press did, and declared that no medal hope for Finnish Team [www.expressen.se] angry smiley We see that, we see that, my dear sweet neigbours...winking smiley

Now, good luck, Norway!thumbs up

- Doxa

You just want Norway to take out the competition to make it easier on you!

Date: February 13, 2014 19:20

grinning smiley Well, Canada is not doing too well (yet...)

- Doxa

Date: February 13, 2014 19:25

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

we will get tired, eventually.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 13, 2014 19:44

It's fun to see Holland among the bigger countries grinning smiley
It's not over yet!

Date: February 13, 2014 20:02

Oops!

Date: February 13, 2014 20:40

smileys with beer Norway!

Date: February 13, 2014 21:00

DandelionPowderman

Congratulations!

Although you realize that will be your only goal of the game! smileys with beer

Date: February 13, 2014 21:25

A good effort by Norway! A good team effort and lots of guts. Canada wasn't anything spectacular, but they are just warming up... But a nice game to watch.

Interesting game tomorrow... Not too much time to rest for Norwegians, so Finland is gaining a bit in that. People here in Finland are just thinking in how many goals we will win to get advantage in following rounds (to get the best 2nd place position), but that way of thinking will lead to disaster. I hope Norway are able to maintain that energy level, so that we will get a great match, since me thinks that tight, exciting matches, with a lot of passion, are the best thing in hockey.

- Doxa

Date: February 13, 2014 22:24

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Congratulations!

Congrats! Canada is in a different league smileys with beer

Date: February 13, 2014 22:33

I missed it, what was the score?

Date: February 13, 2014 22:35

3-1

Date: February 13, 2014 22:37

DandelionPowderman
3-1

Congratulations

Date: February 13, 2014 22:58

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Congratulations!

Congrats! Canada is in a different league smileys with beer

Thanks but Well it's sort of like basketball at the Olympics now...you just presume the 'professionals' are going to win so there will always be that imbalance.

I liked the days when it was strictly amateur. On the other hand, that was also when the east bloc government subsidies were rampant, so that wasn't particularly fair either.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: February 13, 2014 23:19

Yeah, the days when the Soviet National Team was made up largely of players from Central Red Army wasn't exactly a level playing field. They were technically amateurs as they weren't paid to play hockey, they were paid soldiers who happened to play a lot of hockey and see very little military action.

Date: February 14, 2014 02:35

Yeah, those were the days when Olympic Games were just for "amateurs". In hockey that basically meant that NHL was ruled out, and anyone not playing in that only proper 'professional league' in the world (there was WHA as well for some time I recall) was "amateur". We know the Soviet Union/Red Army arrangement, but honestly, there were similar kind of systems to offer some sort of economical support to players in Swedish and Finnish national leagues already during the 70's, if not even earlier. For example, I recall most of the players in my local team being firemen, but I am sure those brave fire fighters didn't rescue many burning houses... In another Finnish team most of the players were technically employed by a hockey stick company but I suppose didn't waste many days working in the factory... Does not so sound very professional, but still I suppose about the only real amateur teams in the tournamants those days were the bunch of college kids Canadians and Americans brought there...

Anyway, the whole idea of "amateurism" in regards to today's Olympics sounds such a romantical, old-fashionable funny notion. It all changed idealogically rather rapidly during the 80's. Good or not, but let's say, less double standards now (and in that, I think ice hockey was not even the worst). And we have to remember that the original amateurs (from whom we get the idea) were the upper class British gentlemen some 100 plus years ago - who just do it for a moral training, and being so pure that refused even to rehearse (since that was unfair, doping-like)... So when a guy from Finland named Paavo Nurmi started training systemically long-distance running - and to win 8 golds in early Olympics - that was considered unfair by some high-moral folks of the day. Anyway, later Nurmi was banned from Los Angeles 1932 games for taking some money for running, what a bastard he was...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-14 02:36 by Doxa.

Date: February 14, 2014 09:01

A bad day for Norwegian ice!

Curling has not been a lot kinder to the Norwegian vis a vis Canada.

Just watched 4 points in the 7th end...yikes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-14 09:31 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 14, 2014 09:45

bv
When I say NO POLITICS here I mean it. And there will be no pardon. There are millions of places where you can talk politics, but not here. Sorry.

I do love Spain, but I don't like bull fighting. I do love USA, but I don't like death penalty. I do love The Netherlands, but I don't like free drugs. I do love my own country, but I don't like everything about it. And so on and on and on. But I don't start a political discussion every time something is happening in some country because of some law or some politics.

By the way I love France but I hate it when they park their cars on the sidewalk where I walk, and also when they have so cold weather as it is now...

Enjoy the olympics. There are many great athlets coming!

bv, you must be pleased about how well Norway is faring...Olympics always so much fun to watch; I appreciate viewing excellence in so many sports I wouldn't dream of attempting .....and, not all the US has death penalty,.think it's a shame California continues to support Charlie Manson et al for life....
Hope the Olympiad remains safe! winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1467
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home