Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Rocks Off
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 20, 2014 20:30

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Deltics
The "Nicky Hopkins" instrumental version.

Strange, but apart from the intro I don't like this track that much without Jaggers' vocals. Too straightforward.

Agreed.

Agreed here too. But listen at 3:45 -- there's a fantastic little guitar run in the right channel at the turnaround there. It's either Keith, Taylor or a combination of the two (mix is to distorted to know for sure). Then about 10 seconds later there's a great piano or guitar fill in the middle too. Love those things.

But yeah, the song is barely half a song without Jagger.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: January 20, 2014 20:40

Listened to it on a rock radio special looking at the music of 1972 several years ago. It's really the song that first hooked me on the Stones. A friend had his older brother's casette of Exile, but he never played it. I knew a few tracks from it: TD, RTJ, Happy and RO but the rest were a mystery.

My friend didn't think too much of Exile, and it hadn't yet become the highly revered album it would go on to become. So after saving up some cash I went out and bought EOMS. From the first listen I was blown away. I had really liked UC, SG and to a lesser degree TTY. But after EOMS my fandom for the Stones took off. It all started with listening to RO on that The Rock Years program look back at 1972. It really is the sound of 5 meen playing as one with the horns adding the icing to a very dense cake. You can feel the musty, damp basement of Nellcote in the groove and rhythm of RO. Who cares if it probably didn't really come together till they got to LA. Sometimes the myth is stronger than the reailty. And that's ok.

"Oh yeah, I hear you talking when I'm on the street
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak."

"And I'm always hearing voices on the street
I want to shout, but I can't hardly speak"

To me those verses always captured where the Stones were at the time. So much had happened since 1969: Brian Jones departure, Mick T's arrival, BJ's Death, Altamont, Klein, Decca, Tax Exile, Keith's Heroin addiction. They couldn't speak for a generation anymore because they really didn't know what to say or how to say it. The Street Fighting Men were on the lamb from the tax man and an intense 18 mos. that probably would've destroyed most other bands.

The fact they could produce their ultimate recordings during this period of transition 1968-1971 is a testament to their greatness.

It's also not a big surprise that GHS, fine as an albume that it is, started the Stones mid-70s malaise.

"Headed for the overload, splattered on the dirty road
Kick me like you've kicked before, I can't even feel the pain no more"

As a song Rock's Off doesn't really go anywhere, and that's the beauty of it. The song just chugs along like a wayward train on warped and winding tracks. It doesn't kick the door in like BS, or capture the mood of a time like Gimme Shelter or usher in a whole different Stones sound like Sympathy. But despite these things RO is a great album opener and the perfect song to start EOMS.

"And I only get my rocks off while I'm dreaming
I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeping"

It's the reflects in its sound and lyics a band weary and disillusioned, for the first time cracks are starting to show between the Glimmer Twins, they've been forced to leave their homeland, Mick and Keith are both now fathers and married (sorta in Keith's case) on top of that they aren't writing songs together as much anymore-changing the dynamic of the band in subtle but down the road profound ways.

RO and EOMS's ultimate message might be the '60s and its dreams (both personal and world-wise) are over welcome to the '70s.

RO wouldn't have it fit soundwise onto GHS but in retrospect the lyrics and murky feel of the track hint of what was to come for the band, where it was and where it was headed.

Date: January 20, 2014 21:38

Another thing that has kept me "mesmerized" about this song:

The dreamy sounding bridge has one bar that's only 2 beats.
It goes:
| 4 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | (repeat)

I love it, but it's a bit uncommon for a Stones song. Could it be the only time they've ever come close to using an odd time signature (not counting 3/4 or 6/8 time)?

I'm also impressed by the fact that they never seemed to have screwed this up in concert. I would have been a typical thing for them to do, especially after 1973 when they only played the song occasionally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-20 21:39 by LieB.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 20, 2014 21:48

When the album came out it was my favorite track..
I played it a million times.

It was not just another rocker.. It has so much more to keep you
coming back.

Funny I was young and after RO i would play TD, Happy and then flip to side 4 to really rock out..

RO is a lot like Sway I never get bored playing it..

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 20, 2014 21:51

Listening to "Live Licks" for the first time it physically hurt me when I heard the brutal edit that removed the "The sunshine bores the daylight out of me" verse,

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: FP ()
Date: January 20, 2014 21:53

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
RobberBride
DandelionPowderman

He probably didn't. Wasn't his track audible on the Nicky Hopkins-mixes, btw?

Yeah you hear more of his sliding doublestops (or whatever its called)earlier in the track, but not more of the solo at the end.

That's what I thought, thanks! So, Taylor's track is probably the third guitar track (after Keith recorded his two tracks) they recorded, to spice up the song. They used the best piece, if memory serves.

On the Hopkins outtake there's three guitars: the two Richards rhythm guitar left and right, and Taylor's ryhtm guitar just off the right of the spectrum. Taylor plays throughout the song, mainly jazzy chords on the A and B chords, and some slide runs here and there. In my opinion, it just really clutters up the song. They decided, rightfully so in my opinion, to make Hopkins' piano the melodic central point of the track. Thus, two steady driving guitars and one melodic piano doing all the fills and runs. Taylor's guitar just messes up the tightness of the track. The little solo run at the end was kept, which works fantastically: just when you think the track is finished Taylor draws all the attention, making you want the track to continue, making you long for more. Just as with Sway, the fact that the solo ends makes it much more interesting than a long solo.

Mathijs

Very interesting to hear the Hopkin's instrumental, and this breakdown of who plays what. I think most of Taylor's guitar parts are audible on the finished version, they are just reverbed out and often sound like backing vocals. I think the mixing was the secret for making his parts work, as ghostly extra textural parts they are a key part of the song and it would be a lesser track without them IMO. Live he actually played far more promenant country style licks that may have worked well on the recorded version as well but he obviously had not come up with them earlier.

Date: January 20, 2014 22:06

Why do you think that?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 20, 2014 22:28

LieB

It goes:

I love it, but it's a bit uncommon for a Stones song. Could it be the only time they've ever come close to using an odd time signature (not counting 3/4 or 6/8 time)?

I'm also impressed by the fact that they never seemed to have screwed this up in concert. I would have been a typical thing for them to do, especially after 1973 when they only played the song occasionally.

Never screwed it up in concert? I've never heard it played right. The worst offending version is on Live Licks.

What the hell goes on at the end of the bridge here? It's a travesty.

Date: January 20, 2014 23:52

Silver Dagger
LieB

It goes:

Never screwed it up in concert? I've never heard it played right. The worst offending version is on Live Licks.

What the hell goes on at the end of the bridge here? It's a travesty.

I was only referring to the 2-beat bar, the fact that they skip two beats (as opposed to playing a normal 4-beat bar) and never seem to forget this. Actually, while shaky, the Live Licks version is played right in this regard (Charlie hits his China splash on the 2nd beat which doesn't sound that good, IMHO, but it's not off beat). The infamous edit isn't really of the bridge itself (depending on how you prefer to name things), but of the part immediately following it, where they normally sing "the sunshine bores the daylights out of me" but we get thrown directly into "I only get my rocks off ..." But yeah, I agree it's terrible. Otherwise I think the song is a pretty decent energetic example of the modern day "weaving" Keith goes on and on about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-20 23:52 by LieB.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 21, 2014 04:43

damn, the thread is too long already to read thru ... well, if there are any negative comments to this song then those posters don't deserve to be part of a Stones group. One of the best rockers in their history, but still not the best on the album (that honor goes to All Down The Line).

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: January 21, 2014 06:06

Carster
You should all hear the genuine mono mix, extended outro.
Rocks Off: Three collectible versions (full-time collectors only, I should know)
What genuine mono mix are you referring to?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 21, 2014 07:54

LieB
DandelionPowderman
<Is this song meant to get the adrenaline pumping? If so, it fails, at least for me. Or is it meant to be a downer? If so, it succeeds.>

It's both, I'd say.

The verses and the bridge are kinda melancholic. The choruses are upbeat.

Heroin mixed with cocaine...
Got some??? Yeah man, the bridge is a gas. The beautiful mess of Keithness while the John's Brothers big flangers flange.... To make this effect you employ 2 slab back machines and rub your hand against the edge of the tape flanges (Reels)... Thus the flanging effects you hear a few times on Exile. Now you were sayin' something about some bits, .... let me follow you down...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-21 07:57 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 21, 2014 08:01

I bought EXILE for Rocks Off alone...(and was then comparatively disappointed by the rest).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 05:16 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2014 08:50

dcba
Exactly!
The thing that "does" it for me is the faded-out MT guitar solo at the very end of the track. I suspect Jagger is the one that turned the knobs to make the solo slip into darkness as the song finishes.

Most of the guys in other bands (J. Page for ex) would have added 16 bars of backing tracks and would have mixed the solo really high, to give the osng an extra edge. Wrong! The extra edge is created byt the "fading out" effect.

Brilliant idea = the Stones are the best! grinning smiley

I agree here. A classical instance of how they are able to maintain a drama in the song - adding an 'extra' (wonderful) guitar solo in the end of the song when you already have thought you have heard everything. And like Mathijs mentioned above, it gives you a wish to hear more. Genious.

Also an example of how the Stones - especially in this album - approach the songs. Everything - even Jagger's vocals - is done to serve the wholeness, and none of individual efforts is 'bigger' than the songs themselves. There is no place for distinguished personal spotlights, it is always the whole thing - the band effort, the song - that matters. The result is an incredible mess!

- Doxa

Posted by: maremma ()
Date: January 21, 2014 09:57

René
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Rocks Off
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Rolling Stones Mobile Recording Unit, Villa Nellcote, Villefranche-sur-mer, France,
July 10 - late July & October 14 - November 23, 1971, Sunset Sound Studios,
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, December 4 - 19, 1971 & January - March
1972 and Wally Heider Studios, Los Angeles, California, US, March 24 & 25, 1972

Mick Jagger - lead vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, harmony vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Mick Taylor - electric guitar
Bill Wyman - bass
Nicky Hopkins - piano
Bobby Keys - saxophone
Jim Price - trumpet, trombone

Oh yeah, .......................

/quote]

===
For those who better understand french than english.
C'est tout un programme hot smiley
Oh yeah !
Oh ouais !
I hear you talking when I'm on the street
J'entends ta voix quand j'suis dans la rue
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak
Tu n'bouges pas les lèvres mais j't'entends quand même dire :
What's the matter with the boy ?
" Qu'est-ce qui se passe avec le garçon ?
He don't come around no more
Il ne vient plus par ici
Is he checking out for sure ?
Est-ce qu'il s'est fait la malle pour de bon ?
Is he gonna close the door on me ?
Est-ce qu'il va me claquer la porte au nez ? "

And I'm always hearing voices on the street
Et j'entends toujours des voix dans la rue
I want to shout, but I can hardly speak
Je veux crier mais je peux à peine parler
I was making love last night
Je faisais l'amour hier soir
To a dancer friend of mine
Avec une amie danseuse
I can't seem to stay in step
Je n'arrive pas à suivre la cadence
'Cause she come ev'ry time that she pirouettes over me
Car elle jouit chaque fois qu'elle fait des pirouettes sur moi

And I only get my rocks off while I'm dreaming
Et c'est seulement en rêvant que j'arrive à jouir
(Only get your rock off, only get your rock off. You only)
(tu t'éclates seulement, tu t'éclates seulement)
I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeping
Je ne m'éclate que quand je dors
(Only get your rock off. You only, only get your rock off)

I'm zipping through the days at lightning speed
Mes journées passent comme l'éclair
Plug in, flush out and fire the @#$%&' feed*
Piquer, purger et envoyer la putain d'sauce
Heading for the overload
Je file tout droit vers l'overdose
Splattered on a dusty road
En vrac sur la route empoussiérée
Kick me like you've kicked before
Donne-moi des coups de pied comme tu sais le faire
I can't even feel the pain no more
Je ne sens même plus la douleur

Et je m'éclate seulement quand je rêve
Je n'arrive à jouir qu'en dormant
(Only get your rock off. You only, only get your rock off)

Feel so hypnotized, can't describe the scene, ah !
Je suis comme hypnotisé, j'arrive pas à décrire la scène, ah !
(Get out of those shoes, guy)
(Débarrasses-toi de tes chaussures, mec ! )
It's so mesmerized all that inside me. Whoa !
J'ai tant de magnétisme en moi, waoh !
(oh let go)
(Oh laisse aller)

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me
La lumière du soleil m'ennuie tellement que je ne vois plus celle du jour
Chasing shadows moonlight mystery
Chassant le mystère des ombres du clair de lune
Heading for the overload
Je file droit vers l'overdose
Splattered on a dirty road
Eclaboussé de boue sur la route
Kick me like you've kicked before
Fiche-moi des coups de pied comme tu sais le faire
I can't even feel the pain no more
Je ne sens même plus la douleur

Et je n'arrive à jouir qu'en rêvant
(only get your rock off. You only, only get your rock off)
Et je n'arrive à jouir qu'en rêvant
(only get your rock off. You only, only get your rock off)

Only, woo !
Seulement, hou !
(only get 'em off, only get 'em off, get 'em off
(Eclate-toi seulement, éclate-toi seulement, éclate-toi)
Only get 'em off, get 'em off, only get 'em off) (woo ! )
(Eclate-toi seulement, éclate-toi, éclate-toi seulement) (hou)

ou “Plug in, flush out and find a @#$%&' feed”
Brancher, lessiver, et trouver la putain d'bouffe
Ou “Plug in, flush out and fight and @#$%& and feed”
Brancher, lessiver et se battre et baiser et se nourrir

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 21, 2014 15:53

A great opening Rock-track from Exile.thumbs up

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 21, 2014 16:11

drewmaster
I know I’m gonna be Exiled from the IORR for writing this, but I gotta be honest, I don’t especially dig Rocks Off. I mean, it’s okay and all, and there are some nice country-blues licks in there, but I certainly don’t get what all the fuss is about. So sue me.

The opening riff sounds tentative and mushy, and when Jagger comes in he sounds beaten down and depressed. To be sure, that dispirited Jagger voice works brilliantly in the context of their finest ballads (for example, the vastly superior Moonlight Mile, which has similar lyrical themes to Rocks Off), but his torpor here deflates the experience of Rocks Off, as opposed to elevating it. None of the other members of the band, with the exception of Charlie, sound particularly awake or thrilled to be here. And to make matters worse, when those rather shrill horns come in (as they do far too often on the rest of Exile as well) they seem to imply that the Stones themselves are too zonked out to carry the song without some outside assistance.

Is this song meant to get the adrenaline pumping? If so, it fails, at least for me. Or is it meant to be a downer? If so, it succeeds.

Drew

You're not alone on this, as I agree with you for most part. I do think it is an effective opener, but honestly, some people here are saying it is their best recording ever. I think not (there are so many other Stones songs that qualify for that).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2014 17:06

nightskyman

I do think it is an effective opener, but honestly, some people here are saying it is their best recording ever. I think not (there are so many other Stones songs that qualify for that).

I don't think people are saying that. They just recognize that "Rocks Off" hits something that is actually perfect in its own terms. As a song it is not any "Satisfaction" or "Jumping Jack Flash" or "Gimme Shelter", not having any of those hit-caliber, universally capturing elements in it, but it succeeds to 'say' something that really is The Stones at their best - so relaxed, so self-conscious, so strong. It simply emerges such strong vibes by the very strong terms of its own that it very much defines the Stones as as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. The simple idiom of rock and roll just can't sound any better than this.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-21 17:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 21, 2014 17:45

Not so straightforward and a really hypnotizing middle part:

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 21, 2014 21:36

DoomandGloom
LieB
DandelionPowderman
<Is this song meant to get the adrenaline pumping? If so, it fails, at least for me. Or is it meant to be a downer? If so, it succeeds.>

It's both, I'd say.

Got some??? Yeah man, the bridge is a gas. The beautiful mess of Keithness while the John's Brothers big flangers flange.... To make this effect you employ 2 slab back machines and rub your hand against the edge of the tape flanges (Reels)... Thus the flanging effects you hear a few times on Exile. Now you were sayin' something about some bits, .... let me follow you down...

ive always thought that bridge is fascinating ..it comes out of nowhere..

thanks for the insight doom&gloom on how its done.

its a crazy piece of music but it sure does work..

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 21, 2014 23:19

..I wonder why.......but I don't like it ???

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 21, 2014 23:37

jp.M
..I wonder why.......but I don't like it ???

don't like the bridge? or the whole song?

Date: January 21, 2014 23:49

Doxa
nightskyman

I do think it is an effective opener, but honestly, some people here are saying it is their best recording ever. I think not (there are so many other Stones songs that qualify for that).

I don't think people are saying that. They just recognize that "Rocks Off" hits something that is actually perfect in its own terms. As a song it is not any "Satisfaction" or "Jumping Jack Flash" or "Gimme Shelter", not having any of those hit-caliber, universally capturing elements in it, but it succeeds to 'say' something that really is The Stones at their best - so relaxed, so self-conscious, so strong. It simply emerges such strong vibes by the very strong terms of its own that it very much defines the Stones as as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. The simple idiom of rock and roll just can't sound any better than this.

- Doxa

Spot on!

Date: January 22, 2014 01:45

duke richardson
DoomandGloom
LieB
DandelionPowderman

It's both, I'd say.

They've got the other crazy bridge in Loving Cup, which I always thought was influenced by The Band...

Date: January 22, 2014 10:49

DoomandGloom
duke richardson
DoomandGloom
LieB
DandelionPowderman

It's both, I'd say.

They've got the other crazy bridge in Loving Cup, which I always thought was influenced by The Band...

I wouldn't rule that out.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: January 25, 2014 13:32

smokeydusky
Carster
You should all hear the genuine mono mix, extended outro.
Rocks Off: Three collectible versions (full-time collectors only, I should know)
What genuine mono mix are you referring to?

I´m very interested too ! Please come up with some details ! -
especially if this mono-mix has had an official release !

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: January 25, 2014 16:53

LieB
Mathijs
On the Hopkins outtake there's three guitars: the two Richards rhythm guitar left and right, and Taylor's ryhtm guitar just off the right of the spectrum. Taylor plays throughout the song, mainly jazzy chords on the A and B chords, and some slide runs here and there. In my opinion, it just really clutters up the song. They decided, rightfully so in my opinion, to make Hopkins' piano the melodic central point of the track. Thus, two steady driving guitars and one melodic piano doing all the fills and runs. Taylor's guitar just messes up the tightness of the track. The little solo run at the end was kept, which works fantastically: just when you think the track is finished Taylor draws all the attention, making you want the track to continue, making you long for more. Just as with Sway, the fact that the solo ends makes it much more interesting than a long solo.

Mathijs

I agree. I get frustrated because I wanna hear more of the solo, but I still think the fadeout makes for a great ending.

sure , and see also heartbreaker (taylor) and star-@#$%& ( prob keith ) both have little solos in or just before the fade-out.

Date: January 25, 2014 17:23

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
RobberBride
DandelionPowderman

He probably didn't. Wasn't his track audible on the Nicky Hopkins-mixes, btw?

Yeah you hear more of his sliding doublestops (or whatever its called)earlier in the track, but not more of the solo at the end.

That's what I thought, thanks! So, Taylor's track is probably the third guitar track (after Keith recorded his two tracks) they recorded, to spice up the song. They used the best piece, if memory serves.

Mathijs
They are The Rolling Stones and are always right...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 25, 2014 17:28

One of my favorite songs. Captures the essence of the Rolling Stones and rock and roll itself, I have never liked most of the live versions that much. Ladies and Gentleman and Perth are pretty good. I thought the Stones played well in 2013 but this song was a mess the few times I heard it on youtube.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 25, 2014 19:05

slew
One of my favorite songs. Captures the essence of the Rolling Stones and rock and roll itself, I have never liked most of the live versions that much. Ladies and Gentleman and Perth are pretty good. I thought the Stones played well in 2013 but this song was a mess the few times I heard it on youtube.

No RO on L&G.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home