Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Rocks Off
Date: June 10, 2016 15:17

LieB
DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
matxil
Perfect song for a perfect album.
And with perfect I mean perfect: everything is exactly as it should be, despite (or thanks to) the overall ad-lib, loose feel of it.

Not quite perfect IMO. The machine-like vocals in the bridge I find somewhat grating. But it's a brilliant song of course. And like many of the their brilliant songs, not worth a dime live.

Er...

Hehe, I can see what matxil means. It's not an obvious straight away live song, it's a bit quirky for a Stones rock 'n' roll song. (I can see a more virtuoso rock band like Led Zeppelin do a song like it.)
Either way, it's one of my all-time favourite Stones songs, and I've been discovering new things in the studio recording so many times.

Did you listen to the half-speed master of Exile? All of a sudden, Taylor's guitar was audible in-between Keith's two guitars during the intro smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 10, 2016 15:59

slew
Mick Jagger has the perfect voice for the Rolling Stones it is part of the band.

Yep,

It's an integral part of that big , chaotic and beautiful ball of noise that is the Rolling Stones smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 10, 2016 16:03

DandelionPowderman
LieB
DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
matxil
Perfect song for a perfect album.
And with perfect I mean perfect: everything is exactly as it should be, despite (or thanks to) the overall ad-lib, loose feel of it.

Not quite perfect IMO. The machine-like vocals in the bridge I find somewhat grating. But it's a brilliant song of course. And like many of the their brilliant songs, not worth a dime live.

Er...

Hehe, I can see what matxil means. It's not an obvious straight away live song, it's a bit quirky for a Stones rock 'n' roll song. (I can see a more virtuoso rock band like Led Zeppelin do a song like it.)
Either way, it's one of my all-time favourite Stones songs, and I've been discovering new things in the studio recording so many times.

Did you listen to the half-speed master of Exile? All of a sudden, Taylor's guitar was audible in-between Keith's two guitars during the intro smiling smiley

If you ever find a 800 * slower Exile, please let me know.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 10, 2016 16:40

Come On
He He, Yeah what to say...Brilliant opening number for a rock-album or what? grinning smiley

The word Brilliant made its way into this thread very early.

Its one of 18 good songs on EOMS but should never be played live. One of the songs the Stones just can't do live.

Date: June 10, 2016 16:41

winos
Rocks off should never be out of the live set list - I'd replace Tumbling Dice with RO........!

IT should never be on the set list. They can't play it live.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 10, 2016 17:23

One of the best songs on (overrated) Exile but unfortunately it doesnt work live - very much like One Hit To The Body from fantastic DW. Certain songs work only in the studio, the Stones should stop trying to play Rocks Off live, it will never work.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 10, 2016 17:43

This song rulez!!! Both studio and live versions and anyone who doesn't think so is... well... it is probably safe to assume they are also probably the type who loves to disrespectfully argue minutiae on a RIP thread.

This song is brilliant... IT GETS MY ROCKS OFF, EVEN WHEN I AM AWAKE!!

ROCKSOFF would even be a cool names for a web site about the Stones.

Date: June 10, 2016 17:44

DandelionPowderman
jambay
This freekin song ROCKS!!!!! both studio and LIVE!!

Esp The part when Mick sings...
Feel so hypnotized, can't describe the scene.
Feel so mesmerized all that inside me.

Followed by one of the best band comes crashing in rocking and rolling, of all time!!! every time

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me!!!

e.g. @ 2:28 [youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

Can you believe that they edited away that line on Live Licks.

Sacrilege...

Ouch!!! No, I can not believe that... Did they really?
I have not listened to LL much... why in the world would they do that?

Date: June 10, 2016 17:54

I think Rocks Off (the several times it has been played live) has been one of the (many) highlights for me listening to various periscopes of recent Stones concerts. That song gets my feet moving, gets my body dancing around happy... even 1000-3000 miles away, over a bad connection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-10 17:56 by jambay.

Date: June 10, 2016 17:57

jambay
This song rulez!!! Both studio and live versions and anyone who doesn't think so is... well... it is probably safe to assume they are also probably the type who loves to disrespectfully argue minutiae on a RIP thread.

This song is brilliant... IT GETS MY ROCKS OFF, EVEN WHEN I AM AWAKE!!

Of course its Brilliant. Everything is brilliant.

Anyone who thinks this plays well live obviously is the type of person who accepts anything just because its the Stones. If they play it then it must be good.

Date: June 10, 2016 18:04

jambay
DandelionPowderman
jambay
This freekin song ROCKS!!!!! both studio and LIVE!!

Esp The part when Mick sings...
Feel so hypnotized, can't describe the scene.
Feel so mesmerized all that inside me.

Followed by one of the best band comes crashing in rocking and rolling, of all time!!! every time

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me!!!

e.g. @ 2:28 [youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

Can you believe that they edited away that line on Live Licks.

Sacrilege...

Ouch!!! No, I can not believe that... Did they really?
I have not listened to LL much... why in the world would they do that?

Wow, they sure did edit that out... that is crazy.
I wonder why they did that.... that is nuts.

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: June 10, 2016 18:08

Regarding live versions, Dallas last year was a pretty good one, probably the best live version of this song out there.

My favorite track in Exile, and one of my favorites overall, it just gets you rolling.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 10, 2016 18:16

The true sound of great a rock and roll band - a living, breathing, steaming beast of a tune.

Has me thinking that later 'fast tunes' like Respectable, Lies, Whip, etc. could have benefited from a middle section that slows the pace down - giving them a bit more character.

Date: June 10, 2016 18:18

bbeliko
Regarding live versions, Dallas last year was a pretty good one, probably the best live version of this song out there.
thumbs upsmileys with beerspinning smiley sticking its tongue out>grinning smiley<drinking smileysmoking smileysmiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]

My favorite track in Exile, and one of my favorites overall, it just gets you rolling.
smileys with beer

dat one part @ 2:20... [youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

Date: June 10, 2016 18:22

PS Bless the good people who take their time and efforts to record and post ^^^ awesome moments like that

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 10, 2016 21:17

Look at that lineup! An absolute Murderers Row of the pinnacle of Stones performers. And even though Bill's participation is spotty on Exile, he's absolutely essential to this one. And that drummer is dynamite. Those horns cut, the piano pumps, and that lead guitarist lifts the whole thing to a new level at the end.

This ain't no 'next single off our blah blah album', this is the artistic heights.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 10, 2016 21:17

24FPS
Look at that lineup! An absolute Murderers Row of the pinnacle of Stones performers. And even though Bill's participation is spotty on Exile, he's absolutely essential to this one. And that drummer is dynamite. Those horns cut, the piano pumps, and that lead guitarist lifts the whole thing to a new level at the end.

This ain't no 'next single off our blah blah album', this is the artistic heights.

agreed!
i still remember the first time i heard the song, it changed my impression of the band completely.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 10, 2016 22:49

HMS
One of the best songs on fantastic Exile but unfortunately it doesnt work live - very much like One Hit To The Body from (overrated) DW. Certain songs work only in the studio, the Stones should stop trying to play Rocks Off live, it will never work.

What was that?

I do agree with you, regardless, regarding the live performances of both songs.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 10, 2016 22:53

Rocks Off is one of those Stones songs that has the studio excellence that they simply can not conjure up live ala Gimme Shelter, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Respectable and Start Me Up just to give a glimpse.

The chugging guitars, Mick's tearing and searing voice with moments of being stoned off his ass, the ease of the drums yet the intensity of them; the horns: one of the most brilliant rock'n'roll songs ever.

Truly a masterpiece from an outstanding album.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: June 10, 2016 23:42

I remember feeling I t was a very exciting start when I played the album for the first time way, way back in 1972. It's a powerhouse of a song that still takes me back there.

I agree with the comments about the half speed version from Abbey Road, great to hear with new perspective

I also enjoyed hearing it live over the last couple of years, although some energy is lost as Mick (understandably) can't shout it out like he did in 1972

A personal favourite of mine, not technically perfect, but nor am I

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 11, 2016 00:08

Hey man ya should get out a little more ....hhhaaaaa -- [rocksoff.org]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 11, 2016 00:32

Hahahaaahaaaa!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 11, 2016 01:25

Love it. Got the album as soon as it came out and that first track was hypnotically stunning and boom off we go with the rest of it. "oh yeaahhh" the best way to start that album off. >grinning smiley<wow that Perth '73 clip was so great, raw and powerful, easily handling the time-change bridge. Everything so good about this. Totally ferociously guitar driven, both guitarists working so beautifully together amidst this explosion. Mick gives it his all. Thank you for posting that! "Rocks Off" gets more amazing with time, there's a purity in it's confessional haze. The sunlight bores the daylight out of me. I have felt that way but couldn't express the darkness behind the feelings. They COULD, and somehow make it jubilant. Here's a scratchy alternate track without vocals. I don't know which boot it was uploaded from, nor do I know how much they were recording basic tracks live together. The pics don't match the track but it's a fascinating thing for me to hear, and I hope somebody likes it. I really like to hear as things develop on their way to final dubbing and mix. It sounds pretty live to me. I wish I knew more about it in context.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 11, 2016 05:04

The way the guitar parts are put together...genius....

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 11, 2016 05:20

A great first track for EOMS. I love the beginning when Charlie first starts playing, that first cymbal crash is so perfect!

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 11, 2016 05:34

Da track is uber awesome. I view it as a signature song that gives you the "Stones vibe" on overdrive with all cylinders firing.

I love the "raging bonfire" of the instruments in the mix. I am assuming that there are more than three guitars and the flames and licks randomly flash and stand out above the driving bonfire. It's a hornet's nest of a song.

I agree that it's hard to play live and capture the vibe. Ironically, don't be surprised if there are other bands out there that can do it better than the Stones. Also, age rears it's ugly head. This is a "young" song all the way.

Some people may say sacrilege about other bands being able to do it better. As an example, take a look at some band called the Stereophonics doing Gimme Shelter. It's tight and mean and driving.

[www.youtube.com]

One thing about Stones songs, when you are a kid and your friends go through that garage-band phase, Stones songs always sound so intense and gritty watching that garage band rehearse on the stage of the high school auditorium. You can just feel that amazing Stones vibe being channeled through the song itself.

Date: June 11, 2016 07:08

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 20:34 by jambay.

Date: June 11, 2016 07:09

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 20:33 by jambay.

Date: June 11, 2016 07:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 20:33 by jambay.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 11, 2016 08:49

Billy Idol said that at Mick Jagger’s birthday party Keith and Ronnie were drinking Rebel Yell Bourbon and he asked them could he borrow the brand name to write a song and they didn’t cavil.

So I’ve idly wondered if the Stones’ sex-with-a-dancer lines in ROCKS OFF at all influenced Billy to include his sex-with-a-dancer lines in REBEL YELL.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home