Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: OT: Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr reunion
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 11, 2014 02:44

DoomandGloom
I wanted to hate it, Stevie Wonder was great, Dave Grohl led the cast of Grammy nobodies but it changed when Ringo then Paul hit the stage. It's not just an illusion any Beatle is miles better. They both still are light hearted and masters of dynamics. Paul's range is astounding and Ringo can still hit even with help.. In another universe all 4 played tonight with a little help from Chuck Levell and they rocked...

Jeff Lyne,and Peter Frampton, Kenny Arnoff

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 11, 2014 14:35

The show's being repeated Wednesday night at 8:30 for anyone who missed it.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 11, 2014 15:19

tatters
The show's being repeated Wednesday night at 8:30 for anyone who missed it.
Where is it being shown? I'm not seeing it on CBS.

Date: February 11, 2014 15:46

Date: February 11, 2014 16:56

tatters
[www.cbs.com]
Cool.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 12, 2014 00:05

gotdablouse
Talking of the crowd, was that Dhani just before Sean during ISHST? Hope not because he looked a lot like George but way older than 35...

Downloaded the whole thing on Dime and that guy is not Dhani fortunately, must be a nephew of George? Dhani looked his age when playing Something with Walsh (a bit disappointed by his guitar playing this time...) and Lynne, unfortunately they didn't show him much, less than some people in the crowd (WTF was Tom Hanks doing in the first row next to Paul?!)...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 12, 2014 00:23

According to the NY Post:

Sunday night’s CBS special, “The Beatles: The Night That Changed America,” celebrated the 50th anniversary of The Fab Four’s live appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show” which did, indeed, “change America” and provided a seismic sociological shift in our culture.

The night featured a reunion of surviving Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, and A-list artists (Stevie Wonder, John Mayer, Dave Grohl et al.) performing classic Beatles songs.

The night also provide many lasting images — some good, some not-so-good — that everyone’s talking about in the typical Monday-morning quarterback kind of way.

So, in that spirit, here’s my take on the night’s “Five Best” and “Five Worst” moments from Sunday’s night’s CBS special.

Five Best Moments:
1.) Ringo Starr singing onstage singing “Yellow Submarine” and “Boys.” He was vibrant and seemed to be enjoying himself, despite singing songs he’s sung thousands of times before in the past 50-plus years. He’s 73 now, but you wouldn’t know that from his energetic performance. We’ll cut him some slack in the vocal department.

2.) Ringo and Paul McCartney together on stage, performing “With A Little Help From My Friends” and, with Ringo on the drums, “Hey Jude.” Brought a tear to the eye, especially when they gave a shout-out to late Beatle brothers John Lennon and George Harrison.

3.) Glorious black-and-white clips from the Beatles Feb. 9, 1964 live appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show,” which reminded us of the magic. The excitement was still tangible, 50 years later.

4.) Quick-hit bios of all four Beatles — informative and illustrative, without overdoing it.

5.) Adam Levine and Maroon 5 performing “All My Loving” (who knew Levine played the guitar?). They were obviously nervous, but found their groove and delivered a dynamic performance.

Five Worst Moments:
1.) Any of the roughly 48 times the CBS cameras cut to Rita Wilson dancing and singing along. Because when people think “The Beatles,” they think Tom Hanks’ wife. WTF?

2.) Yoko Ono dancing in the aisle. That should never happen in public. Awkward, and reminiscent of Elaine’s infamous embarrassing dance moves on “Seinfeld.” And please, Yoko, take the huge sunglasses off already.

3.) Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart. Maybe the tens of people awaiting their reunion were in heaven, but they butchered “The Fool on the Hill.”

4.) Imagine Dragon and its reworking of “Revolution.” John Lennon’s snarling anthem reduced to acoustic dinner-theatre music.

5.) Katy Perry’s interpretation of “Yesterday.” Why? (Honorable mention to Ed Sheeran’s crooning of “In My Life.”)

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 12, 2014 01:08

tatters
How the hell did these two threads get mashed together like this?

I was wondering the same thing. Has nothing to do with Paul or Ringo. Seems someone is trying to keep things tidy and combine threads because I started a different one about the TV special that I found on this one the next day but that was at least related. I don't have sound on my computer so haven't listened to Bruce but was wondering if he mentions Bon Scott or just a tip of the hat to AC/DC?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 12, 2014 03:55

Ringo looks like a child trying to play drums with a back up drummer.

Date: February 12, 2014 04:22

Overall I thought Ringo did a good job. His rendition of Matchbox was enthusiastic and true to the original, something some of the other artists forgot to do. Boys was also well done with Ringo behind the drum kit doing what he does best, playing a solid non-pretentious beat behind the song kind of like Charlie does for the Stones. I'll admit he is no front man but he still is entertaining in his own way. A little bit fun and a little bit comical in a way that brings a smile to your face. Now myself I would have preferred something other than Yellow Submarine but I guess it worked good as a crowd sing a long. Would have liked to see he and Paul do more together instead of Paul playing it safe and sticking with his touring band of yes men. At times they seemed uninspired and playing it the way they probably do for every show on tour. The other fault of the show is that they didn't show full song performances of that famous night on Ed Sullivan when they did capture the hearts of America. Wasn't that what was being celebrated?

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: February 12, 2014 04:54

Max'sKansasCity
Long John Stoner

I give you props once again for turning us on to that sound camera of that Chicago McCartney show a couple of year back... that was awesome.. thanks again.

why that's very nice of you. You're welcome.

Re: OT - Springsteen in Perth - Bon Scott tribute
Date: February 12, 2014 05:12

Wry Cooter
hbwriter
i think it's awesome.

Oh man, that's cool! Who is the guitar player besides Bruce, Little Steven, and Nils?

Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine. He's practically become a full time member of the E Street Band.

Date: February 12, 2014 05:14

mighty stork
Overall I thought Ringo did a good job. His rendition of Matchbox was enthusiastic and true to the original, something some of the other artists forgot to do. Boys was also well done with Ringo behind the drum kit doing what he does best, playing a solid non-pretentious beat behind the song kind of like Charlie does for the Stones. I'll admit he is no front man but he still is entertaining in his own way. A little bit fun and a little bit comical in a way that brings a smile to your face. Now myself I would have preferred something other than Yellow Submarine but I guess it worked good as a crowd sing a long. Would have liked to see he and Paul do more together instead of Paul playing it safe and sticking with his touring band of yes men. At times they seemed uninspired and playing it the way they probably do for every show on tour. The other fault of the show is that they didn't show full song performances of that famous night on Ed Sullivan when they did capture the hearts of America. Wasn't that what was being celebrated?

That "touring band of yes men" are one damn fine band. You're barking up the wrong tree trying to denigrate them.

There were really only three guys in a band who would ever say no to McCartney, and two of them are dead.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 12, 2014 05:44

<<That "touring band of yes men" are one damn fine band.>>

Paul seems to think so, as he's kept this band together longer than either the Beatles or Wings were together. His keyboard player Hamish Stewart has been with him since 1989 or so.

One of the things that disillusioned Paul about the Wings format was that band members started to come and go with a disheartening frequency, and for quite a few years after Paul was a one-man studio band.

It appears that this current band of supporters are well taken care of, and Paul must treat them with due respect, as they seem quite happy to work for him after more than a decade at least. He had this band with him when he headlined Glastonbury in 2004.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 12, 2014 05:49

Long John Stoner
Max'sKansasCity
Long John Stoner

I give you props once again for turning us on to that sound camera of that
Chicago McCartney show a couple of year back... that was awesome.. thanks again.

why that's very nice of you. You're welcome.
smileys with beer
It was very nice of you.

I have told(retold) that story, about how one time, on this website I post to, a good man told us about this web cam outside Wrigley field, and he told us it had sound, and if we wanted to, we could hear live McCartney concert RIGHT THEN, LIVE!!!. And it worked really well and I was(am) very impressed with McCartney!

Of course we were in the cheapest seats, very very from the stage (about 800 miles away) and of course the sound was not perfect, but it was free... AND ACTUALLY SOUND WAS PRETTY DANG GREAT!! I was so impressed that I stopped what I was doing that night and I virtually "went" to a live McCartney concert... and I was amazed at how many great songs he did, it was a lot of fun, and fun is a good thing to have. Thanks again LJS.

Date: February 12, 2014 06:33

Long John Stoner
mighty stork

That "touring band of yes men" are one damn fine band. You're barking up the wrong tree trying to denigrate them.

There were really only three guys in a band who would ever say no to McCartney, and two of them are dead.

Didn't mean to disrespect them as players but you must admit Paul calls the shots and I doubt any of them say it should be done another way. I guess Paul has earned that but the yin/yang with Lennon is what made them special. Perhaps I worded it wrong or should have explained further.

Date: February 12, 2014 06:57

stonehearted
<<That "touring band of yes men" are one damn fine band.>>

Paul seems to think so, as he's kept this band together longer than either the Beatles or Wings were together. His keyboard player Hamish Stewart has been with him since 1989 or so.

One of the things that disillusioned Paul about the Wings format was that band members started to come and go with a disheartening frequency, and for quite a few years after Paul was a one-man studio band.

It appears that this current band of supporters are well taken care of, and Paul must treat them with due respect, as they seem quite happy to work for him after more than a decade at least. He had this band with him when he headlined Glastonbury in 2004.

The keyboard player is Paul "Wix" Wickens. Hamish Stuart was a guitarist in a previous McCartney solo band, the Average White Band for ten years, and also played with Ringo's All Star Band. The current touring band got their McCartney start by way of producer David Kahne, who suggested them to McCartney when he needed a back up band while making Driving Rain in 2001. Rusty Anderson and Brian Ray were in various bands knocking around Los Angeles, while the drummer, Abe Laboriel, Jr. played with Stevie Vai, Seal, k.d. lang and Sting before hooking up with McCartney

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 07:05 by Long John Stoner.

Date: February 12, 2014 07:39

That's right--"Wix". Got the names confused, thanks. smiling smiley Wickens is Macca's longest serving band musician--ever.

Date: February 12, 2014 08:07

For anyone interested-
This will be reshown on Wednesday night in the U.S.

CBS will present an encore broadcast of “The Beatles: The Night That Changed America – A Grammy Salute” from 7:30 to 10 p.m. Wednesday, according to a news release.

The all-star lineup featured performances and presentations by The Beatles LOVE by Cirque du Soleil, Kate Beckinsale, Jeff Bridges, Gary Clark, Jr., Johnny Depp, Dave Grohl, Eric Idle, Imagine Dragons, Alicia Keys and John Legend, Anna Kendrick, David Letterman, LL COOL J, Jeff Lynne, Maroon 5, John Mayer and Keith Urban, Katy Perry, Brad Paisley and Pharrell Williams, Sean Penn, Ed Sheeran, Joe Walsh, Stevie Wonder, and a one-night-only reunion of Eurythmics’ Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart.

The house band for the event included notable musicians Kenny Aronoff (drums), Lenny Castro (percussion), Chris Caswell (keyboard), Peter Frampton (guitar), Rami Jaffe (organ), Steve Lukather (guitar), Greg Phillinganes (keyboard) and Don Was (bass), who also served as musical director.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 08:09 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 12, 2014 15:34

stonehearted
That's right--"Wix". Got the names confused, thanks. smiling smiley Wickens is Macca's longest serving band musician--ever.

Hah- true that. That's a great trivia question.

Date: February 12, 2014 15:55

Long John Stoner
stonehearted

Except that the correct answer is still Linda McCartney (27 years).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 16:16 by tatters.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: February 12, 2014 20:19

I continue to be gobsmacked by the inane questions David Letterman comes up with. Standing onstage at the Ed Sullivan Theatre--Ground Zero of rock and roll's Big Bang--with the only surviving members of perhaps THE most important band of the "rock era" (as Casey Kasem would say), and what does he ask them? "How many theatres did you play in before this one?"

Paul: Uh, gee Dave...562 I think.

Ringo: Ah, Paulie it was 563. You're forgetting that cinema in Blackpool.

At the end, McCartney brought it. McCartney always brings it. Has he ever done a bad show? Ringo does the only thing he can: sing Yellow Submarine and With a Little Help from My Friends, flash peace signs, and bounce around like a Beatles mascot. As a drummer myself, I'm disappointed that the man who gave us some of the most wonderful grooves in rock and roll (I Feel Fine, Ticket to Ride...) is no longer a drummer. His comment "Well, I guess I have to do one with drums now" says it all. It seemed to me that he mimed his way through "Boys"--drum mics off, Kenny Aronoff taking over.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 12, 2014 22:28

stonehearted

Ringo might dispute that! cool smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 12, 2014 22:41

TheBadRabbit
His comment "Well, I guess I have to do one with drums now" says it all. It seemed to me that he mimed his way through "Boys"--drum mics off, Kenny Aronoff taking over.
That surprised me as well. I mean, come on, you were the drummer of the Beatles. Why wouldn't you want to play drums?

Date: February 12, 2014 22:49

Elmo Lewis
stonehearted

Ringo might dispute that! cool smiley

Not if Ringo can count, because aside from the odd cameo in concert and guest spot on record, he and Paul only worked together just over 7 years. smiling smiley

Date: February 13, 2014 00:55

Max'sKansasCity
For anyone interested-
This will be reshown on Wednesday night in the U.S.

CBS will present an encore broadcast of “The Beatles: The Night That Changed America – A Grammy Salute” from 7:30 to 10 p.m. Wednesday, according to a news release.

The all-star lineup featured performances and presentations by The Beatles LOVE by Cirque du Soleil, Kate Beckinsale, Jeff Bridges, Gary Clark, Jr., Johnny Depp, Dave Grohl, Eric Idle, Imagine Dragons, Alicia Keys and John Legend, Anna Kendrick, David Letterman, LL COOL J, Jeff Lynne, Maroon 5, John Mayer and Keith Urban, Katy Perry, Brad Paisley and Pharrell Williams, Sean Penn, Ed Sheeran, Joe Walsh, Stevie Wonder, and a one-night-only reunion of Eurythmics’ Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart.

The house band for the event included notable musicians Kenny Aronoff (drums), Lenny Castro (percussion), Chris Caswell (keyboard), Peter Frampton (guitar), Rami Jaffe (organ), Steve Lukather (guitar), Greg Phillinganes (keyboard) and Don Was (bass), who also served as musical director.

Just saw them say that they will show 1/2 hour more than was shown Sunday night, they said it would be more of Paul and Ringo talking.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 13, 2014 01:16

Yeah it would be nice to see Magical Mystery Tour, which was cut. I think Ringo was great! He always has had a self effacing humor. And his comment about the drums was tongue and cheek. I and for a guy his age singing his heart out belting Boys and playing drums, well he seemed pretty darn fine to me. And I was surprised how into it the crowd was, and how they knew Boys. A great song done wonderfully with some great memories.

Ringo and Macca were the best thing about the show. There were not really many of the versions by the other stars that resonated with me. Grhol is a terrible vocalist and should have played drums on it. His head banging schtick is old, and he really didn't capture the intensity of Lennon's vocals on it, not by a long shot. Something was very good. Probably my favorite of the cover versions. Was very well done and nice to see Dhani playing.

And what's wrong with Yoko dancing? Again, look how old she is and having a blast. Sean was joyfully singing along, very emotional too. George's wife also was having a blast. Very nice.

A pretty moving show in places, but Cool just isn't a very good MC, and Depp seemed stoned out of his mind, and not very clear why he was there... But Jeff Bridges was fantastic! A true rock n' roller clearly a fan and honored to be part of the proceedings. Pretty cool.

Date: February 13, 2014 03:55

Amazing how much Jeff and Dhani, when they're singing together, sound like John, Paul and George. Of course, Jeff's voice, all by itself, has always sounded amazingly like John and Paul, singing in unison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 03:56 by tatters.

Date: February 13, 2014 15:50

tatters
Long John Stoner
stonehearted

You're seriously going to count her as a musician?

Date: February 13, 2014 16:09

Long John Stoner
tatters
Long John Stoner
stonehearted

You're seriously going to count her as a musician?

There's no band on earth that wouldn't benefit from a talent like this.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home