Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12
Re: OT: Rumor - Paul and Ringo To Mark 50th With Live Performance On Letterman
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 27, 2014 22:14

tatters
RollingFreak

Here's what should have happened. I'm fine with them playing together and having it on a new Paul song. BUT, what they should have done (and I said this from the beginning) is had Paul and Ringo as the finale, similar to what Paul did a year or two ago with all the guitar special guests, and have them do a Beatles song then. Paul gets to plug his record and the world gets to see the surviving Beatles play a Beatles song together. And really, when the surviving Beatles are at an event, how are they NOT the closing act. That was stupid from the get go. But that would have been the best thing to happen.

Beatles fans are old and tired and need to go to bed. I'm glad they put them on early so I could see it and then turn it off.

I thought it was so the very young fans would get to see them before bedtime.winking smiley

I didn't realize that Ringo had a public concert for his 70th. I must not have been paying attention that year. Found a clip where Paul sings Birthday at the event.

I think it's funny how the band has two drummers--gives Ringo a chance to flash some peace signs during the opening of a song.

Date: January 27, 2014 22:35

gotdablouse
Yeah it wasn't a very nice thing to say, so I'll apologize, fact is Macca should have known better than plug his latest song yesterday if only because Ringo was there because of the 50th. stonehearted was also wrong in (repeatedly) asserting that this reaction is why we get "old songs" at concerts, it's not...and it's barking up the wrong tree so that's what you get, an annoyed reply by an annoyed poster, now if you will excuse me I'm off for a little Stones related trek ;-)

No need to apologize--I was just having a discussion, but you apparently were having an argument.smiling smiley

I'll say again why I think the Queenie Eye song was perfectly appropriate. The song is about a ballgame they used to play in the streets of Liverpool while growing up. So in celebrating their 50 years since becoming big in the U.S., Paul marks the occasion with a song that looks back on their humble origins. A way of saying, Thanks for all the recognition, now here's where we're from and how we were before making it big.

But since you think they should have played a Beatles song, I'm curious to know exactly which Beatles song you think they should have played.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: January 28, 2014 00:28

gotdablouse
Yeah it wasn't a very nice thing to say, so I'll apologize, fact is Macca should have known better than plug his latest song yesterday if only because Ringo was there because of the 50th. stonehearted was also wrong in (repeatedly) asserting that this reaction is why we get "old songs" at concerts, it's not...and it's barking up the wrong tree so that's what you get, an annoyed reply by an annoyed poster, now if you will excuse me I'm off for a little Stones related trek ;-)

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: January 28, 2014 00:33

stonehearted
gotdablouse

No need to apologize--I was just having a discussion, but you apparently were having an argument.smiling smiley

I'll say again why I think the Queenie Eye song was perfectly appropriate. The song is about a ballgame they used to play in the streets of Liverpool while growing up. So in celebrating their 50 years since becoming big in the U.S., Paul marks the occasion with a song that looks back on their humble origins. A way of saying, Thanks for all the recognition, now here's where we're from and how we were before making it big.

But since you think they should have played a Beatles song, I'm curious to know exactly which Beatles song you think they should have played.

I truly admire you're whole-hearted attitude! smiling smiley One of the very few being very constructive...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 28, 2014 00:50

Well if you're wanting to have a discussion, try not to make definitive statements, like "this jukebox mentality" especially when it couldn't be more off the mark and don't lecture others (Kampuchea, off topic anyway since there was no other Beatle) about subjects they might know more about than you (someone who knows that he played FALTOF at the CFNY and how he introduced it should have given you a hint).

Having said that I know the story behind "Queeny Eye", but Macca didn't know Ringo when he played that game (likely not George yet either) and it would be more convincing if he had actually told the story. Who in the audience or watching the video or even here, has ever heard that story that only diehards would have a passing interest in? As to what they could have played, any single from the 1963/1964 period would have been appropriate naturally.

...oh and unfortunately my Stones trek was not fruitful but it was nice to see friendly faces again ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 28, 2014 02:16

Oh dear, I've been given a slap on the wrist and told how to post and what not to say. Well, so much for discussion.

By the way, I'm well aware of what Paul played at the Concert for New York. I listened to it over the radio as it was happening. So you don't know more than me in that respect, we just differ on whether it was acceptable for him to present the songs that he did. The fact is, Paul believes in his new material and is always happy to present it, because he wants it to be heard. I don't imagine you would have enjoyed a Wings concert back in the day, what with so few Beatles songs in the set list.

Oh, and Paul wasn't the only Beatle when Ringo was in his movie playing drums on only new songs and not Beatles songs. Love his "New" album by the way. If you play his best albums at 8- or 9-year intervals back to back like I did recently--Ram, McCartney II, Flowers in the Dirt, Flaming Pie, Chaos and Creation, and New--you'll find that New compares favorably with his best work, though I must admit that Chaos and Creation was the only clunker of the bunch, too many forced melodies that reach without satisfying.

OK, "lecture" over. You may administer another slap on the wrist if you like.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 28, 2014 02:19

I loath the Grammys but saw Paul and Ringo's performance and thought it was fantastic. I think it is great he played a current new song and involved Ringo. It's rock n' roll and Ringo fit in great! And Paul was very passionate about a new song that also really highlighted the best of Paul's Beatle instincts. Catchy melody, with great vocals and harmonies, and some great semi experimental aspects to make it interesting. Ringo did a good job drumming, and my only gripe was that the other drummer wasn't necessary this time. He is great! I love his work in the Macca band, but spotlight should have been on Ringo alone... But all in all a great song highlighting new music.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 28, 2014 03:59

Ole Abe Macca's drummer

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: January 28, 2014 04:01

I'm with ya, Whitem8. Great, quirky new Paul song with Ringo on drums! it was Fab! Loved it!

Maybe they didn't do a Beatles song out of respect for the brand since this was sort of part of the 50th anniversary of their arrival in the US and 2 key members are missing. Does that make sense? It's NOT a Beatles reunion, so doing Beatles songs somehow seems a little inappropriate. Are they being careful NOT to try to pass this off as a "reunion"? Are we all over thinking this? After all, it's just a couple of guys playing a little rock n roll!

We'll see what goes down on Feb 9.

Ross

Date: January 28, 2014 04:31

Dreamer
I truly admire you're whole-hearted attitude!

Dreamer, my good buddy! Thanks for all the kind words and support. Hope the writing's going well. Feel free to send me some of your work if you like, you know my email. If you're ever back in the U.S., in the Boston area, let me know and we'll meet up for a few rounds of lager.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 28, 2014 16:13

Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr Reunite Again on Grammy Salute

Posted on 1/28/2014 8:27:00 AM by Gary Graff

Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr reunited for the second time in two nights on Monday (January 27) in Los Angeles during the taping of "The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute to the Beatles," which CBS will air on February 9 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the group's first appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

The duo performed "With a Little Help From My Friends," which Starr sang on 1967's landmark "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album, and then led the entire all-star cast through the finale of "Hey Jude."

McCartney also played five Beatles songs -- "Magical Mystery Tour," "Birthday," "Get Back," "I Saw Her Standing There" and the "Sgt. Pepper's" title track -- with his own band, remembering for the audience that the Fab Four wasn't certain the Sullivan show was a good move when they were invited back in 1964.

After asking some American friends for their opinion, "They said, 'You don't understand the importance of 'The Ed Sullivan Show' in America.' And I didn't understand it then."

Starr, meanwhile, played "Matchbox," "Boys" and "Yellow Submarine" with a house band led by Grammy Award-winning producer Don Was and featuring Peter Frampton and Toto's Steve Lukather on guitar.

The show also included a jam on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by Joe Walsh (Starr's brother-in-law) and the previous night's Grammy Award winners Dave Grohl and Gary Clark, Jr., a duet on "Something" by Walsh and Jeff Lynne, Lynne and Grohl's rendition of "Hey Bulldog," a Eurythmics reunion for "Fool on the Hill" and Stevie Wonder recreating his cover of "We Can Work It Out."

Other performers on the special included Maroon 5, Katy Perry, John Mayer and Keith Urban, Imagine Dragons, Ed Sheeran, Alicia Keys and John Legend, and Pharrell Williams and Brad Paisley. The full song list for the show, hosted by actor/rapper LL Cool J included:

Maroon 5 - “All My Loving," “Ticket to Ride”
John Mayer and Keith Urban - “Don't Let Me Down”
Ed Sheeran - “In My Life”
Alicia Keys and John Legend - “Let it Be”
Imagine Dragons - “Revolution”
Katy Perry - “Yesterday”
Eurythmics - “Fool on the Hill”
Pharrell Williams and Brad Paisley - “Here Comes the Sun”
Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne - “Hey Bulldog”
Joe Walsh and Jeff Lynne - “Something”
Gary Clark Jr., Walsh and Grohl - “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”
Stevie Wonder - “We Can Work It Out”
Ringo Starr - “Match Box,” “Boys,” “Yellow Submarine”
Paul McCartney - “Magical Mystery Tour,” “Birthday,” “Get Back,” “I Saw Her Standing There,” “Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band”
McCartney and Starr - “With a Little Help From My Friends”
McCartney, Starr and ensemble - “Hey Jude”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 16:14 by tatters.

Date: January 28, 2014 17:02

stonehearted
Dreamer
I truly admire you're whole-hearted attitude!

Dreamer, my good buddy! Thanks for all the kind words and support. Hope the writing's going well. Feel free to send me some of your work if you like, you know my email. If you're ever back in the U.S., in the Boston area, let me know and we'll meet up for a few rounds of lager.

I would but I have to prepare a complicated production. And more coming my way. Very busy but very nice work as well!
Have to say no to the lager sad smiley : I'm a wino! smiling smiley smoking smiley
Splendidly superiour "Oh dear" / "lecture" post by the way...one could stick that in da blouse tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 17:20 by Dreamer.

OT: Paul and Ringo Played TEN Beatles Songs Last Night ....
Date: January 28, 2014 16:34

.... but mostly not together.

Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr Reunite Again on Grammy Salute

Posted on 1/28/2014 8:27:00 AM by Gary Graff

Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr reunited for the second time in two nights on Monday (January 27) in Los Angeles during the taping of "The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute to the Beatles," which CBS will air on February 9 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the group's first appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

The duo performed "With a Little Help From My Friends," which Starr sang on 1967's landmark "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album, and then led the entire all-star cast through the finale of "Hey Jude."

McCartney also played five Beatles songs -- "Magical Mystery Tour," "Birthday," "Get Back," "I Saw Her Standing There" and the "Sgt. Pepper's" title track -- with his own band, remembering for the audience that the Fab Four wasn't certain the Sullivan show was a good move when they were invited back in 1964.

After asking some American friends for their opinion, "They said, 'You don't understand the importance of 'The Ed Sullivan Show' in America.' And I didn't understand it then."

Starr, meanwhile, played "Matchbox," "Boys" and "Yellow Submarine" with a house band led by Grammy Award-winning producer Don Was and featuring Peter Frampton and Toto's Steve Lukather on guitar.

The show also included a jam on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by Joe Walsh (Starr's brother-in-law) and the previous night's Grammy Award winners Dave Grohl and Gary Clark, Jr., a duet on "Something" by Walsh and Jeff Lynne, Lynne and Grohl's rendition of "Hey Bulldog," a Eurythmics reunion for "Fool on the Hill" and Stevie Wonder recreating his cover of "We Can Work It Out."

Other performers on the special included Maroon 5, Katy Perry, John Mayer and Keith Urban, Imagine Dragons, Ed Sheeran, Alicia Keys and John Legend, and Pharrell Williams and Brad Paisley. The full song list for the show, hosted by actor/rapper LL Cool J included:

Maroon 5 - “All My Loving," “Ticket to Ride”
John Mayer and Keith Urban - “Don't Let Me Down”
Ed Sheeran - “In My Life”
Alicia Keys and John Legend - “Let it Be”
Imagine Dragons - “Revolution”
Katy Perry - “Yesterday”
Eurythmics - “Fool on the Hill”
Pharrell Williams and Brad Paisley - “Here Comes the Sun”
Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne - “Hey Bulldog”
Joe Walsh and Jeff Lynne - “Something”
Gary Clark Jr., Walsh and Grohl - “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”
Stevie Wonder - “We Can Work It Out”
Ringo Starr - “Match Box,” “Boys,” “Yellow Submarine”
Paul McCartney - “Magical Mystery Tour,” “Birthday,” “Get Back,” “I Saw Her Standing There,” “Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band”
McCartney and Starr - “With a Little Help From My Friends”
McCartney, Starr and ensemble - “Hey Jude”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 16:35 by tatters.

Re: OT: Paul and Ringo Played TEN Beatles Songs Last Night ....
Date: January 28, 2014 16:42

Thank goodness none of those annoying Sons appear to have been involved in this.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2014 16:43

Sounds classic...a must watch for when it airs, Feb 9 I believe.

Date: January 28, 2014 16:58

Why can't they do a tour like this? You know, come out together and play a few songs, then Ringo does a set with his own band, then Paul does a set with his band, and then they do a short set together. It would still be the hottest concert ticket imaginable.

Date: January 28, 2014 16:59

They could call it the "Two Little, Two Late" tour.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: January 28, 2014 17:01

Any videos up?

Date: January 28, 2014 17:03

Lorenz
Any videos up?

Probably not until the show airs on Feb. 9.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:02

Hopefully there will be non-stop playing of Breaking Bad that day on another channel

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:37

tatters
They could call it the "Two Little, Two Late" tour.

Hey-ooooo!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:41

I've never heard a HEY BULLDOG cover, ever, so I'll be curious to hear that.

Incidentally, I saw the Stones' last Anaheim show, and Dave Grohl played the guitar solo on BITCH, and it killed me to know that Mick Taylor was back stage and was not playing the solo—his BITCH solo is one of my favorite rock solos ever. But I had to concede Grohl did a pretty good soloing job. Maybe because he knew people like me were in the audience. So I'll be interested to hear his attempt at a HEY BULLDOG solo, since George's solo on that song is one of my other all time favorite rock guitar solos.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:49

Lots of Ringo peace signs expected

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: January 28, 2014 18:58

Seems a bit short on Lennon music.

Posted by: tarmon ()
Date: January 28, 2014 19:19

Listen to the Hey Bulldog version by Fanny Hill.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 28, 2014 19:53

A girl in junior high school first told me about The Beatles. She said she was a fan, but I had never heard of them. Somehow or another it was a big deal that they were appearing on the ES Show. Mom, Dad, me and my two sisters sat in front of the TV and saw them for the first time. I was just short of 13. It struck me how professional they seemed for a new group. The songs seemed familiar to me (Buddy Holly?) and I wondered if they wrote their own songs. But it was my Mom's comment that I remember: "At least Elvis had hair on top of his head!" And all of a sudden HAIR was a social issue. I tend to resist fads and although I enjoyed Beatle songs it was not until I saw A Hard Day's Night that my resistance fell. Those are great and infectious songs (and it is a great album). I left the theater walking on air with those songs playing in my head. They've never left...really. I am not the only one. Hence the great affection people have for that band.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: January 28, 2014 20:50

tatters
Thank goodness none of those annoying Sons appear to have been involved in this.

Dhani Harrison played Something with Joe Walsh and Jeff Lynne.
Yoko and Sean Lennon were in the audience but did not participate.

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: January 28, 2014 20:53

Actually, that cover of Hey Bulldog was done by an all-female group called Fanny, led by young women (not anymore) named June and Jane Millington - and it is very good.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 28, 2014 21:59

Paul has distorted the history of The Beatles... He's had plenty of time and keeps pounding at it... Let It Be Naked was the boldest attempt and now we see the result of his success... A Beatle celebration without Strawberry Fields, Walrus, or Norwegian Wood... On to add insult to injury the hipster industry butt kisser Dave Grohl get's the juiciest guitar songs..... The Grammys hijacked this event but according to my memory The Beatles never got a Grammy while an active band... They best they did was lose to Bridge Over Troubled Water against Let It Be...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 22:02 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 28, 2014 22:03

Grohl and The Grammies according to GWAR video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-28 22:06 by DoomandGloom.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home