Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12
Re: OT: Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr reunion
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: February 13, 2014 16:48

tatters
Long John Stoner
tatters
Long John Stoner
stonehearted
That's right--"Wix". Got the names confused, thanks. smiling smiley Wickens is Macca's longest serving band musician--ever.

Hah- true that. That's a great trivia question.

Except that the correct answer is still Linda McCartney (27 years).

You're seriously going to count her as a musician?

There's no band on earth that wouldn't benefit from a talent like this.

Oh man oh man oh man. Makes me shiver.

You know, since if a man marries a woman he's EXPECTED to be devoted to her, monogamy included, it seems somewhat over the top to say his devotion to her was admirable. But the way he always included her in his music, and then well, this stuff, all I can say is there likely (or better have been) were other areas she rather excelled at to account for her "solo" career. If you know what I mean. and I don't mean just a good mother to his children, which by all accounts she was.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 13, 2014 17:03

In defense of the "Lovely Linda", I always loved her b-vocals on the early albums...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 13, 2014 17:48

She makes the track Long Haired Lady. Its missing a huge element without her.

Of rock star wives, she is one of the better ones. Never intrusive and all around seemed like a very nice person without malicious intent. I loved how devoted her and Paul were. He's never had anything close to a stable relationship after she passed.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 13, 2014 18:18

Hound Dog
Ringo looks like a child trying to play drums with a back up drummer.

I still don't know what people like about his drumming.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: February 14, 2014 01:34

mighty stork
I recorded it and am still watching in bits and pieces but for me the low point was Katy Perry singing while dressed in a shower curtain.

Yeah that was stoopid! And what was it with her and all of the hand waving?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 14, 2014 05:25

Why Julian Lennon Skipped the Beatles Anniversary Celebrations

by Jeff Giles February 13, 2014 1:02 PM

The world recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Beatles‘ first trip to America with a series of all-star affairs that included appearances from younger artists as well as former Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr — and extended family members Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon, and Olivia and Dhani Harrison. Conspicuously absent from the crowd was Julian Lennon, who discussed the reasons for his no-show during a recent interview.

“To me, the last thing I wanted to do was stand in the audience with everybody else,” Lennon told Brooklyn Vegan, adding he had no interest in “clapping my hands and being filmed in front of millions while watching a Beatles karaoke session.”

As it happened, Lennon wasn’t even in the country when it all went down — instead, his charity work for the White Feather Foundation took him to Africa, where he’s been trying to advance a number of initiatives on behalf of groups like Millennium Villages. Of particular importance to Lennon right now is his partnership with Charity: Water, which seeks to restore and increase clean water availability for people living without reliable access.

Even if he’d been available, Lennon insisted that he’d rather enjoy the band’s classic records anyway. “Give me the originals any day. I’ll listen or watch the originals any day, and that’s my cup of tea,” he explained. “That’s why I decided that I much more preferred to be in a state of reflection and appreciation and doing something much more subtle and much more heartfelt, in my mind, than the glitz and the glam of those kind of shows.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-14 05:27 by tatters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 14, 2014 05:30

Good for him. And seems like a very reasonable reason. Julian has grown to an interesting man with a lot of integrity and honesty.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 14, 2014 08:15

than the glitz and the glam of ""those kind of shows""

...and that is exactly what it was. I refrained from saying much
towards that idea, and I wont start now, but he is correct as he can be.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 14, 2014 09:56

I was sorry Julian & Cynthia Lennon weren't at the Grammys or Night That Changed America shows, after all, they're as big a part of the legacy as their relatives and associates. But, would rather see the original Beatles, no matter how grainy the film & sound quality now, than a bunch of people covering their songs. Anybody can do that. Channel-surfed back to the Olympics throughout. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 14, 2014 14:18

It is doubtful whether Julian or Cynthia would have wanted to have been in the presence of Yoko. Julian has been very public about his bitterness toward his father and his resentment toward Yoko, and Cynthia's life as a Beatle wife was less than spectacular and the humiliation she suffered once Yoko entered the scene was very public and traumatic. I don't think they were present for the Beatles' induction to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame either.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 14, 2014 19:11

From Julian's photography exhibit in NYC, September 2010...

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: February 14, 2014 19:43

More Hot Rocks
Hound Dog

Ask any drummer and they will tell you that Ringo is as precise as a click track. He can maintain the right beat all day. He is pure and steady. And the drumming on I Feel Fine is pretty cool.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: February 14, 2014 19:58

Shantipole
More Hot Rocks
Hound Dog

Ask any drummer and they will tell you that Ringo is as precise as a click track. He can maintain the right beat all day. He is pure and steady. And the drumming on I Feel Fine is pretty cool.

Charlie and Ringo, and then you can go from there....

Date: February 15, 2014 01:35

Buddy Rich, who I guess knew a thing or two about drumming, said Ringo was "adequate, no more than that." Of course, coming from Buddy, that's high praise!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-15 16:58 by tatters.

Date: February 15, 2014 02:39

<<Buddy Rich, who I guess knew a thing or two about drumming>>....

....obviously knew nothing about rock music or what it took to make a rock record and band sound at their best. But that's understandable, since the world of Buddy Rich was jazz and from the generation before. I'm sure he thought little of Watts or Moon or Bonham either--that is, if he even thought of them at all.

Date: February 15, 2014 03:35

stonehearted
<<Buddy Rich, who I guess knew a thing or two about drumming>>....

....obviously knew nothing about rock music or what it took to make a rock record and band sound at their best. But that's understandable, since the world of Buddy Rich was jazz and from the generation before. I'm sure he thought little of Watts or Moon or Bonham either--that is, if he even thought of them at all.

He thought Ginger Baker was pretty good.

Date: February 15, 2014 03:44

Date: February 15, 2014 05:39

tatters
stonehearted
Buddy Rich

Of course he would--Ginger Baker is a jazz drummer.

Baker still rails against the suggestion he’s a rock musician. “I hate rock music – it’s so banal. I’m a jazz drummer,” he says.

Full profile at: [www.classicrockmagazine.com]

Date: February 15, 2014 16:54

stonehearted
tatters
stonehearted
Buddy Rich

Of course he would--Ginger Baker is a jazz drummer.

Baker still rails against the suggestion he’s a rock musician. “I hate rock music – it’s so banal. I’m a jazz drummer,” he says.

Full profile at: [www.classicrockmagazine.com]

I guess in Buddy's opinion, any good jazz drummer could sit in with any rock band, but very few rock drummers could sit in with a good jazz band. It's a self-serving view, of course, but that doesn't mean it isn't accurate. There's a great story about someone asking Buddy what he thought of John Bonham, and Buddy stares at the guy for a minute, then proceeds to do a perfect John Bonham imitation, and says, "Anybody could do that."

Date: February 16, 2014 23:13

<<There's a great story about someone asking Buddy what he thought of John Bonham, and Buddy stares at the guy for a minute, then proceeds to do a perfect John Bonham imitation, and says, "Anybody could do that.">>

Which is my original assumption, that Buddy Rich simply had no regard for rock musicians. Typical jazz snobbery. Ginger Baker has a similar attitude, having stated recently that "Bonham had technique, but he couldn't swing a sack of shit--or Moonie for that matter." Other than revealing the elitist element of their character, I don't see how such opinions could hold any importance for the general music listener.

To bring this post back on topic, I was watching the Grammy Beatles tribute last Sunday with my mother and stepfather. My stepfather happened to mention that Buddy Rich was his all-time favorite drummer. His second-favorite drummer of all time: Ringo.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 17, 2014 01:59

Ginger Baker is such a big bag of pompous wind. He wasn't a jazz musician, he was in a rock n' roll band. And was a rock drummer. He may have wished he was some legendary jazz drummer, but he wasn't. And man is he a mean S.O.B.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 19, 2014 07:37

stonehearted
It is doubtful whether Julian or Cynthia would have wanted to have been in the presence of Yoko. Julian has been very public about his bitterness toward his father and his resentment toward Yoko, and Cynthia's life as a Beatle wife was less than spectacular and the humiliation she suffered once Yoko entered the scene was very public and traumatic. I don't think they were present for the Beatles' induction to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame either.

Yoko does appear pretty obnoxious...while watching her antics, thought she appeared pretty good at riding the coattails of the fame gravy train. Bet she made the later-year Beatles rehearsals miserable....eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1155
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home