Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 12
Re: OT: Rumor - Paul and Ringo To Mark 50th With Live Performance On Letterman
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 11, 2014 05:19

stonehearted
tomk
I'm also about halfway through Lewishon's new tome

whitem8
Lewishon, however, is a researcher

I find it profoundly amusing how the Lewisohn supporters in this thread can't even spell the man's name. Dyslexia, perhaps?

Oh, please. Is that the best you got? My mistake. I admit it. Will you admit yours?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 11, 2014 05:26

What's with all the angst about Emerick and Lewisohn?

confused smiley

They both got stuff wrong. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-11 05:31 by His Majesty.

Date: January 11, 2014 05:35

His Majesty
It is a simple fact that Paul is not the only guitarist on Sgt Pepper.

He along with either George (most likely) or John on guitar with Ringo on drums created the most basic take of the song, that being a captured live in the studio, all 3 playing at same time performance on to track 1 of the first four track tape.

Emerick had simply mis-remembered, it's supposedly not the only thing he mis-remembers in his book.

None of the facts I posted came from Lewisohn.

The only speculation posted is my opinion on who the other guitarist was on Track 1 of the first (pre bounce down) 4 track tape. The arranged playing style of the more interesting rhythm guitar with some fills is typical Harrison.

Again, it is a simple fact that someone else plays guitar along with Paul on Track 1 of the first (pre bounce down) 4 track tape.

Emerick has mis-remembered a few things, which I have no problem with, that's gonna happen with the passage of time. He's wrong in this case.

Here's Ken Scott's take on Emerick's book. Oh, by the way, he worked on Beatles' recordings, in case some didn't know.

[www.royalgenes.biz]

Date: January 11, 2014 05:41

His Majesty
What's with all the angst about Emerick and Lewisohn?

confused smiley

They both got stuff wrong. grinning smiley

I have nothing against both. Lewisohn's (got it spelled right!) new book is excellent. Emerick's book was a good read. He did seem to have a problem with George's guitar parts.

Date: January 11, 2014 05:57

smileys with beer for the link.

Date: January 11, 2014 08:59

My last post for this (hopefully), here's a good interview with Ken Scott.

[daytrippin.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 11, 2014 11:43

Certain of us here who wish to debunk the accounts presented in Geoff Emerick's book should simply read it before doing so.

Date: January 11, 2014 12:06

His Majesty

P.S.: Your video clip comes from Guitar World magazine [www.guitarworld.com]. You are deferring to a piece of rock journalism over the first-hand experience of one of the studio engineers who was actually there as it was happening.

We may as well defer to Mojo, Uncut, or Q.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 11, 2014 14:20

tomk, thanks for those posts, those links were very interesting. So much so I got the Kindel version of From Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust. So far it is an ok book. Not amazing. But that first link with the errors laid out from Emerick's book is pretty telling. Instinctively, his book didn't do much for me, and that link furthers my loss of confidence in the facts from the book. So far Tune In (which I finished a few weeks ago) is the most exhaustively researched and interesting book on The Beatles I have read, and it only goes up to 1962! The stuff on Hamburg was worth the price alone. I am looking forward to the other two volumes. Bring it on!

Date: January 11, 2014 15:04

stonehearted
His Majesty

P.S.: Your video clip comes from Guitar World magazine [www.guitarworld.com]. You are deferring to a piece of rock journalism over the first-hand experience of one of the studio engineers who was actually there as it was happening.

We may as well defer to Mojo, Uncut, or Q.

The information I posted does not come from guitar world and the youtube clip was not uploaded by them either.

The youtube clip lets you hear the tracks from the final 4 track tape. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-11 15:52 by His Majesty.

Date: January 11, 2014 15:17

stonehearted
Certain of us here who wish to debunk the accounts presented in Geoff Emerick's book should simply read it before doing so.

A fellow engineer's take on the book doesn't count for anything? He was there too.

I don't care who is wrong or right, but if he say's Macca is the only guitar player on Sgt Pepper he is wrong, mis-remembering or his co author got it wrong.

Memories and co authors often leads to errors.

The multitrack tapes in tandem with studio notes are the best source. They tell us that for the basic take of Sgt Pepper 2 guitars and drums, were recorded on to Track 1 of the first (pre bounce down) 4 track tape. That is a fact.

Incase you aren't understanding this...

2 guitars and drums recorded at the same time on to Track 1 = atleast 3 people playing at the same time. No bounce-downs or anything to achieve that, Just a captured to tape live performance in a studio.

Thus Paul isn't the only guitarist on Sgt Pepper. Your strange hang ups about all this is blinding you to that basic fact.

Why does it matter so much to you that Emerick has to be 100% right? You really think every single fact in a book based on memories filtered through a co-author can't have any mistakes?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-11 16:01 by His Majesty.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 11, 2014 16:22

stonehearted

I've read the book. It's an OK book, adds to our knowledge of the Beatles in the studio. But like the Beatles and every other Beatles insider, they're only human and bound to have faulty memories or suffer the indignities of bad editing in the book they're writing, etc.

And the gossipy crap and dissing of John, George and Ringo in the book about the Beatles working in the studio is an unnecessary distraction. That ruined the book for me personally.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: January 12, 2014 07:33

BlackHat
owlbynite
tatters
michaelsavage
Sunds so boring

Sons are so boring? Agreed.

Lucky their fathers were born first...grinning smiley

But their sons are the future.....

future....of what? winking smiley

Date: January 12, 2014 07:37

still looking forward to the show. cool smiley

Date: January 12, 2014 08:03

I hope they don't do it, Letterman being the schmeckle he is.

Date: January 12, 2014 08:07

tomk
I hope they don't do it, Letterman being the schmeckle he is.

Paul Schaeffer probably exerting any influence he may have...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 13, 2014 00:31

Paul & Ringo-- do the performance on Jimmy Fallons show--- Letterman is a douche.....

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 13, 2014 15:21

Letterman's show is taped at the Ed Sullivan Theater. Obviously, he would have the inside track on something like this.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 14, 2014 02:47

George never got over being told by Paul to not play answering guitar phrases on "Hey Jude". The bad feeling from this carried over into the Get Back (Let It Be) sessions. It didn't help that most of George's songs were pretty much dismised by both John and Paul during those sessions.

Date: January 14, 2014 04:27

Apparently, George's resentment of Paul was such that it has been chronicled in a book of its own.

George Harrison 'hated being pushed around by Paul McCartney'
Friends of late Beatles star recall 'descent into paranoia'

Former model Patti Boyd, who was married Harrison from 1966 to 1977, confirmed their fractious relationship.

"George saw Paul as difficult," she said. "They would tolerate each other, but I think George basically didn’t like Paul’s personality. I just think they really didn’t love each other."

As the band's fame escalated, it is claimed that Harrison escalated into a spiral of paranoia, fearing he would be shot. This fear still remained even a decade later, when Harrison had gone solo. David Acomba, who filmed Harrison's 1974 solo tour, said: "George was constantly worried about being shot".

‘George Harrison: Behind The Locked Door’ by Graeme Thomson is out now.

Further details at: [www.gigwise.com]

Date: January 14, 2014 04:32

However, to return to the topic of the thread, as of January 8 such a Letterman appearance is 'still unconfirmed'.

Representatives for Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr told Beatles Examiner Jan. 8 that stories circulating on the internet that the two Beatles would be performing together on “The David Letterman Show” next month are, at this point, not yet a done deal and are still unconfirmed.

Full details at: [www.examiner.com]

Date: January 14, 2014 04:35

71Tele
George never got over being told by Paul to not play answering guitar phrases on "Hey Jude". The bad feeling from this carried over into the Get Back (Let It Be) sessions. It didn't help that most of George's songs were pretty much dismised by both John and Paul during those sessions.

It goes further back than that, probably to school days. Of all the relationships in the Beatles, the one between George and Paul was certainly the most strained and tense; odd, too.

Date: January 14, 2014 04:40

I hope they do it. Play some old rock n' roll. That would be perfect. And a few Beatles numbers as well.

For sure the entire group bickered, and Paul and George had at times a volatile relationship, like brothers often do. I am reading the Ken Scott book, and he gives a very interesting perspective of the making of The White album, saying that the years and journalists of significantly overstated the making of the album was so fractious. He did most the engineering and mastering on that album, and said they actually had some great times, joking, and worked very hard to together. Ringo, however, was often waiting around a lot to play drums and often getting board and felt un-needed. So he left for a week! Or so and was back.

Paul has said that George was irritated because he wanted to do a call and response lead (much like Isn't it a Pity!) and Paul said no, "and I was right you know! It was my song and I had it laid out. But I suppose I could have been a bit insensitive..."

Stonehearted you might like From Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust, it isn't an amazing read but has some nice nuggets.

Date: January 14, 2014 05:22

bob r
Paul & Ringo-- do the performance on Jimmy Fallons show--- Letterman is a douche.....

No. Please no. No Jimmy Fallon.

Date: January 14, 2014 09:44

<<Paul has said that George was irritated because he wanted to do a call and response lead (much like Isn't it a Pity!) and Paul said no, "and I was right you know! It was my song and I had it laid out. But I suppose I could have been a bit insensitive...">>

Paul could be a bit bossy even in the early days, like in take 9 of I Want To Hold Your Hand--"RingooooOOO!!! We're taping." Then he proceeds to tell Ringo how to play the drum bits for the opening.

Then there's the Day Tripper sessions where Paul is anxious to get a master backing track down, and he scoldingly says to the others, though probably George, "Okay, put your tea down!"

On the other hand, maybe Paul did have a point about Hey Jude, if you've never heard the infamous "call and response" guitar idea from George in this early take (about 10 seconds in).

The Hey Jude sessions of July 30 were filmed.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 14, 2014 15:44

stonehearted

On the other hand, maybe Paul did have a point about Hey Jude, if you've never heard the infamous "call and response" guitar idea from George in this early take (about 10 seconds in).

There's nothing George could have added to Hey Jude. The call and response guitar would only have detracted from it.

Date: January 14, 2014 17:14

Yes, Paul knew what would work perfect for his song. That probably is part of what irked both John and George at times. And to be fair, Paul often participated on George's stuff, and he is often the most prominent background vocalist on George's stuff.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 14, 2014 18:08

Yes, and safe to say that McCartney was the best arranger and producer of the songs (apart from George Martin) and could work faster than the others. He had excellent handle of his own tunes and knew what he wanted where John and George either took their time or were unsure.

Seems McCartney could be impatient but at least he had energy, confidence and hard work ethic to make the songs happen and shine for the fans. But it also must've drove John and George nuts, especially during 1967-69.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-14 18:20 by nightskyman.

Date: January 14, 2014 20:54

stonehearted

The Hey Jude sessions of July 30 were filmed.

That's Lennon playing acoustic, so not the idea George had with an electric guitar responding in between the lines.

There is a brief electric guitar part in the released version.

I think a modern hint is to be found in Real Love where George does some nice call and resoponse licks.

I think his idea could have been used sparingly and made Hey Jude a bit more interesting to listen to.

Date: January 14, 2014 21:09

whitem8

Stonehearted you might like From Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust...

Not if it contradicts Emerick. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1396
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home