Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Black and Blue, great LP
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 24, 2013 05:45

Liked it in the 70's and still like it now. Great sound.

Always loved Hot stuff (on the 76 tour they did some great live renditions).
Hand of fate and Memory Motel were album highlites.
Hey Negrita and Melody a bit different but nice.
With Fool to cry they tried to do another Angie which had been a huge hit in Europe.Like with Streets of love the song often worked better live. I remember some grooving versions in 76.
The album benefited from the very good guitar players auditioning.

Only lowpoints to me the subpar reggae and a rather average album closer.
The Stones always had good openers and closing numbers. But Crazy Mama didn't belong to them and it was too overproduced.
In fact with 1 or 2 more good songs - incl. a better closer - it would have been a great album!

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: November 24, 2013 12:02

Rockman
Jamaican noise for a UK winter ....try King Tubby Presents The Roots Of Dub

Okey Smokey, it's on the Christmas list(y).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-24 12:03 by Deluxtone.

Date: November 24, 2013 12:13

CousinC

With Fool to cry they tried to do another Angie which had been a huge hit in Europe.Like with Streets of love the song often worked better live. I remember some grooving versions in 76.

The Stones always had good openers and closing numbers. But Crazy Mama didn't belong to them and it was too overproduced.
In fact with 1 or 2 more good songs - incl. a better closer - it would have been a great album!

That's exactly how I felt/feel about the album.

Hot Stuff isthe highlight of Love You Live - really cooking.
And Fool To Cry, as i remember too, was a very poignant moving moment in their '76 live shows. Keith Wah-wahing is tranced heart out.

Yeah, the pace of Crazy Mama was too pedestrian. Love Keith's return to lead motif in that - and Ronnie's jiterry fretboard magic at fade out and in middle - but overlall a rather plodding closer.

But what an album opener!

And is it three guitar slos on Hand of Fate - all fresh. I used to be sure that one at least was Keith (so Keithesque) - but all Wayne i believe. He really would have been a good choice.

Pity the Faces split up, eh?!

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: November 24, 2013 12:19

Hand of fate...
Best guitar solo on a Rolling Stones record.

Only Sympathy comes close...

Date: November 24, 2013 12:23

treaclefingers
Deluxtone
Well, as it's one I don't know, I'll get a copy in your honour and let you know - next year!

It's now a cold, cold winter in the UK - so I'll settle for GHS or any winter Reggae record you may compatibly recommend.

Isn't Bob Marley Legends the 'go to' for Reggae.

I'd HIGHLY recommend my favourite reggae album of all time, the soundtrack to the early 70s film, The Harder They Come, featuring Jimmy Cliff, Toots and the Maytals, Desmond Dekker and others.

Fama dem fayaka! Manacle, and den go sacka! ...or something.

That's my favourite too!!!

Anything Cliff Jimmy.

Toots was highlight of Stones Ahoy gig in 2003!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-24 12:25 by Deluxtone.

Date: November 24, 2013 12:35

FortuneTeller800
GasLightStreet
Still astounds me to this day that they left Slave and Worried About You unfinished. Just imagine the album with those tracks on it as well.

Had they finished them, of course.

I can't see
"Slave" on same album as "Hey Negrita" - riff too similar. 253413
Other than that I can listen to the whole album just to hear the two instances on "Hey Negrita": one @ 2:53 when Jagger goes "shtickkatikkasuckkadupanow", and @ 4:13 right after a slightly atonal piano run by BillP, when Ollie answers with the cowbell.

Stones were really adept on B&B - picking up on so many various rhythms that were in vogue at the time -

Latin American, Reggae, Funk.
Don't really know where the rhythmic fusion started - but toms toms were almost de riquer at the time.

cf Clapton's Carnival from his '76 album, No Reason To Cry (in answer to Mick's Fool To .....!)

and townsend's first Solo one with Ronnie Lane -also that year.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 24, 2013 18:01

Deluxtone
treaclefingers
Deluxtone
Well, as it's one I don't know, I'll get a copy in your honour and let you know - next year!

It's now a cold, cold winter in the UK - so I'll settle for GHS or any winter Reggae record you may compatibly recommend.

Isn't Bob Marley Legends the 'go to' for Reggae.

I'd HIGHLY recommend my favourite reggae album of all time, the soundtrack to the early 70s film, The Harder They Come, featuring Jimmy Cliff, Toots and the Maytals, Desmond Dekker and others.

Fama dem fayaka! Manacle, and den go sacka! ...or something.

That's my favourite too!!!

Anything Cliff Jimmy.

Toots was highlight of Stones Ahoy gig in 2003!

Yes, it really is a magnificent album...too bad most people will probably never hear it, or even hear about it.

Date: November 24, 2013 18:06

Yup. You sometimes see the fil on TV (to which the album was a soundtrack).

I have the album on Vinyl- I've no idea if it ws ever re-released on other formats - can quickly check on Amazon.

I like that kind of Reggae cos it's still light and upbeat - kinda positive - in contrast to a lot of Marley's 'heavier' tendency and message-based stuff. Kaya album being the notable eception.

Date: November 24, 2013 18:17

Deluxtone

I have the album on Vinyl- I've no idea if it ws ever re-released on other formats - can quickly check on Amazon.

I like that kind of Reggae cos it's still light and upbeat - kinda positive - in contrast to a lot of Marley's 'heavier' tendency and message-based stuff. Kaya album being the notable eception.

I've also got it on vinyl. I'm pretty sure I've seen it sold at Starbucks on CD (a few years ago now). I remember hearing 'Draw Your Brakes' and I nearly dropped my Venti.

Regarding the film, never seen it and NEVER even heard of it being played on TV. What part of the world are you located in Deluxtone?

Date: November 24, 2013 18:27

treaclefingers
Deluxtone

I've also got it on vinyl. I'm pretty sure I've seen it sold at Starbucks on CD (a few years ago now). I remember hearing 'Draw Your Brakes' and I nearly dropped my Venti.

In the UK. It might have been the nineties the last time I saw it screened though.

A 1972 original release. There was some TV show not long ago (in last five years) -BBC I think - about the making of the film and its social signifiance at the time.

J Cliff was the most likely rising star to make it big out of Jamaica until the release of No Woman No Cry and the ensuing Marley Mania.

I'll check out youtube for clips of the film.

Regarding the film, never seen it and NEVER even heard of it being played on TV. What part of the world are you located in Deluxtone?

Date: November 24, 2013 18:32

YEAH BABY>

complete film is there on Youtube.

You Can Get It If You Really Want It!!!!!!!

Positive vibrations.

A SONIC Sunday.

If only gangsters had that in their hymn books these days .....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 25, 2013 05:48

Deluxtone
[
cf Clapton's Carnival from his '76 album, No Reason To Cry (in answer to Mick's Fool To .....!)

Pete's Who Came First solo album was released in 1972.

Townshend and Lane's Rough Mix album came out in 1977.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 25, 2013 06:33

loog droog
Deluxtone
[

Pete's first true solo album was 1980's Empty Glass. Rough Mix is a collaboration that also has Ronnie Lane's name on it, and on Who Came First there were guest artists (four in all) singing and performing on three of the nine tracks.

Some would argue though that his first solo album was Who By Numbers.smiling smiley

Date: November 25, 2013 07:20

stonehearted
loog droog
Deluxtone
[

Pete's first true solo album was 1980's Empty Glass. Rough Mix is a collaboration that also has Ronnie Lane's name on it, and on Who Came First there were guest artists (four in all) singing and performing on three of the nine tracks.

Some would argue though that his first solo album was Who By Numbers.smiling smiley

I love Empty Glass...one of my favourite Who albums, in the way Wandering Spirit is one of my favourite Stones albums.

Date: November 25, 2013 07:47

treaclefingers
stonehearted
loog droog
Deluxtone
[

I love Empty Glass...one of my favourite Who albums, in the way Wandering Spirit is one of my favourite Stones albums.

Heh-heh-heh! Yes, in fact The Who treated Empty Glass like a Who album--by touring behind it in 1980, well sort of.

Ever hear the "Who" version of the Empty Glass title track? They recorded it in April 1978, with Keith and John playing over Pete's demo. Gives you an idea of what the track might have sounded like had Moon lived and a sooner follow-up to Who Are You been recorded.

Date: November 25, 2013 11:03

Deluxtone
CousinC

And Fool To Cry, as i remember too, was a very poignant moving moment in their '76 live shows. Keith Wah-wahing is tranced heart out.

Yeah, the pace of Crazy Mama was too pedestrian. Love Keith's return to lead motif in that - and Ronnie's jiterry fretboard magic at fade out and in middle - but overlall a rather plodding closer.

And is it three guitar slos on Hand of Fate - all fresh. I used to be sure that one at least was Keith (so Keithesque) - but all Wayne i believe. He really would have been a good choice.

Finally someone who agree with me on this one!

It is indeed a smoking version, and all the Woody bashers who keep on ranting about him only copying Taylor should have a closer listen to these solos thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 25, 2013 11:16

Deluxtone
CousinC

+1

The album I love the most.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 25, 2013 17:19

stonehearted
loog droog
Deluxtone
[

OK, but none of those records came out in '76....

Whether or not Who Came First was or was not a Pete solo album is subject to friendly debate. Empty Glass was called his first solo record when it came out, but I viewed that as Atco promoting it as such.

Prior to that, I think most viewed Who Came First as a Pete solo project, even though it did have a lot of fellow Meher Baba enthusiasts taking lead roles as they were sitting in.

Similarly, there were guests like Mikey Dread and Tymon Dogg taking lead roles on Sandinista! tracks, but no one would say that it couldn't be credited as a work by The Clash.

And yes, the songs on The Who By Numbers are so personal that when you hear Daltry sing them you wonder, "What's HE doing here??"

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 25, 2013 23:11

EddieByword
Maindefender
Save Me or Plundered my Soul may have made their way to TY, never know. I think Hey Negrita bumped Slave and Worried Bout You got bumped by the two existing ballads. Black & Blue might make for an interesting deluxe package?

Oh yes, especially if it had high quality sound versions of the 11 minute Hey Negrita and the long Slave.....

Is the Jeff Beck material from these sessions deluxe worthy?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 25, 2013 23:42

................................................................................................................................................ Painting by The Paris Rebel

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 26, 2013 02:45

Any reason why they went to Sanibel, FLA for the album cover?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 27, 2013 23:44

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2013 02:24

Maindefender
EddieByword
Maindefender
Save Me or Plundered my Soul may have made their way to TY, never know. I think Hey Negrita bumped Slave and Worried Bout You got bumped by the two existing ballads. Black & Blue might make for an interesting deluxe package?

Oh yes, especially if it had high quality sound versions of the 11 minute Hey Negrita and the long Slave.....

Date: November 28, 2013 03:48

stonehearted
Maindefender
EddieByword
Maindefender

Love this...lots of good stuff still in the can...does need a heckuva lot of polish though.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 28, 2013 03:51

talkcheap
I think Black and Blue is a really great LP from the seventies. Not a bad song and great guitarplayers. What do you think?

i agree

Date: November 28, 2013 20:55

loog droog
stonehearted
loog droog
Deluxtone
[

OK, but none of those records came out in '76....

Whether or not Who Came First was or was not a Pete solo album is subject to friendly debate. Empty Glass was called his first solo record when it came out, but I viewed that as Atco promoting it as such.

Prior to that, I think most viewed Who Came First as a Pete solo project, even though it did have a lot of fellow Meher Baba enthusiasts taking lead roles as they were sitting in.

Similarly, there were guests like Mikey Dread and Tymon Dogg taking lead roles on Sandinista! tracks, but no one would say that it couldn't be credited as a work by The Clash.

And yes, the songs on The Who By Numbers are so personal that when you hear Daltry sing them you wonder, "What's HE doing here??"

Yes, I think you are right that Who Came First is a Pete solo work. But the single Let's See Action was released as a Who single I think. And the album had a lot of Lighthouse Project material which was intended as Who output.

Yes, Rough Mix is '77. I was just classing it in there as another example of high use of percussion players in mid seventies. (Recorded in '76?) A guy called Julian Diggle is on some tracks. He was from a band called The Movies - and had sole role as Tom-Tom/percussion player in that band.
Maybe Elton's Ray Cooper set the trend - or was a large part of it in Seventies - he on IORR album ofcourse.

Oh ....... and for those not in the know ..... Charlie plays on Rough Mix's opening track ......

And now for another post about Black and Blue ......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-28 21:20 by Deluxtone.

Date: November 28, 2013 21:08

A VERY signifiacnt aspect of B & B album is that Bill is back in the fold and appears on just about every track.

On GHS and IORR a lot of, if not most of, the bass duties were taken by Taylor and Richards. Partly cos Bill didn't much like working to a Keith lifestyle/timekeeping - and largely cos Bill was into his own album at the time. He had Stephen Stills' band and that first album of his was very coherent and the songs were strong.

(His second album, Stone Alone, was a bit 'dodgy' - but he bviously enjoyed the freedom, like Ronnie, of doing his own album his own way and with whomsoever he chose. (I suppose he was recording for Stone Alone in '75 before the Stones' Munich sessions?).

I guess the importance of the guitar auditions for finding a compatible man made it important that Bill was there as part of the band unit. So B & B has a unified, organic band sound of which Bill is a key ingredient. Keith did overdub him on Crazy Mama, however. (I'm not completely sure if it's Bill on Fool to Cry, though it's credited to him on the album).

A strong band feel on Some Girls too ofcourse with Bill really making his presence felt. A patchy presence on ER but then he's the star of the '81-82 outing and an essential part of Undercover and Steel Wheels, (the latter being the last real BAND record - some great GROOVES going on).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-28 21:23 by Deluxtone.

Posted by: MP ()
Date: November 29, 2013 06:28

B&B was a great highly underrated album deserving of a listen since it contains some great stuff.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: November 30, 2013 03:50

Sorry but NO I do not believe this was a great album. I did like some of it. And I was a fairly rabid loyal Stones fan back at that time. Just couldn't quite place this record up there with the favorites up to that time however, and it's always felt like the first "weak" album of their career. Nothing like what's come after though and I really do think they've only put out two better than B+B since 1975. Some Girls and Tattoo You were the last good Stones records in my opinion. Everything besides these is basically shit.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 30, 2013 16:03

Black and blue is good album and maybe the first RS' CD that i bought. Crazy Mama is just fantastic!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home