Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T The Dave Clark Five 'Glad All Over..And Beyond' PBS in April
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 2, 2014 01:40

Great news for fans of the DC5 -- PBS in the US has scheduled in April on its 'Great Performances' series, the History of the Dave Clark Five---a special called "Glad All Over..and Beyond" should be terrific !
According to the news reports, Dave Clark was reluctant to allow it, until Bruce Springsteen ( a life long fan ) contacted Clark and persuaded him--
the show will feature rare footage, concert footage and of course the great DC5 songs--- they will go through the history of the band--- should be really nice !

Re: O/T The Dave Clark Five 'Glad All Over..And Beyond' PBS in April
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 2, 2014 01:46

Only two of them are still alive, it seems, which is sad--makes you realize how lucky we are with the Stones.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 2, 2014 02:17

Well if you can persuade Dave Clark to do this that's really great....... Glad All Over. is the best Brittisch invasion songs ever, even better then the Beatles grinning smiley....I'm curious........

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 2, 2014 02:22

1964/5?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 2, 2014 02:30

My guess is '64...or the first of January '65

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 2, 2014 02:41

NICOS

According to this thread, it's from 14 February 1964. This photograph was also used on a Vox ad published on Downbeat magazine in 1965.

Date: February 2, 2014 03:28

Cristiano Radtke
NICOS

According to this thread, it's from 14 February 1964. This photograph was also used on a Vox ad published on Downbeat magazine in 1965.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 2, 2014 03:41

Can a documentary on the Herman's Hermits be far behind?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 2, 2014 03:52

71Tele

They already have this one:

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 2, 2014 05:46

I've never understood Dave Clark's reluctance to share the band's recordings and videos. I believe he also controls all the Ready Steady Go footage?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 2, 2014 08:31

Cristiano Radtke
71Tele

They already have this one:

Awesome!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 2, 2014 16:36

Check this out. Love these guys.

Date: February 2, 2014 16:40

Induction ceremony!

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: February 2, 2014 18:26

Aquamarine
Only two of them are still alive, it seems, which is sad--makes you realize how lucky we are with the Stones.

Are you sure only two are alive. I know Mike Smith died a couple of years ago.

Rob

Date: February 2, 2014 18:31

originalstones
Aquamarine

Rob

Only Dave and Lenny still here:

Dave Clark (born David Clark, 15 December 1942, Tottenham, North London, England), was the drummer

Mike Smith (born Michael George Smith, 6 December 1943, North Middlesex Hospital, Edmonton, North London – died 28 February 2008, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire), was the lead vocalist and keyboardist.

Lenny Davidson (born Leonard Arthur Davidson, 30 May 1944, Enfield, Middlesex) (ex The Off Beats, The Impalas) on lead guitar.

Rick Huxley (born Richard Huxley, 5 August 1940, Livingstone Hospital, Dartford, Kent - died 11 February 2013) (ex The Riverside Blues Boys, The Spon Valley Stompers) on bass guitar.

Denis Payton (born Dennis Archibald West Payton, 11 August 1943, Walthamstow, East London – died 17 December 2006,[13] in Bournemouth, Dorset) (ex The Renegades, The Les Heath Combo, The Blue Dukes, The Mike Jones Combo) on tenor and baritone saxophones, harmonica, and guitar.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: February 2, 2014 19:12

2000 LYFH
originalstones
Aquamarine

Rob

Only Dave and Lenny still here:

Dave Clark (born David Clark, 15 December 1942, Tottenham, North London, England), was the drummer

Mike Smith (born Michael George Smith, 6 December 1943, North Middlesex Hospital, Edmonton, North London – died 28 February 2008, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire), was the lead vocalist and keyboardist.

Lenny Davidson (born Leonard Arthur Davidson, 30 May 1944, Enfield, Middlesex) (ex The Off Beats, The Impalas) on lead guitar.

Rick Huxley (born Richard Huxley, 5 August 1940, Livingstone Hospital, Dartford, Kent - died 11 February 2013) (ex The Riverside Blues Boys, The Spon Valley Stompers) on bass guitar.

Denis Payton (born Dennis Archibald West Payton, 11 August 1943, Walthamstow, East London – died 17 December 2006,[13] in Bournemouth, Dorset) (ex The Renegades, The Les Heath Combo, The Blue Dukes, The Mike Jones Combo) on tenor and baritone saxophones, harmonica, and guitar.

No, he wasn't.tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-02 19:15 by Thommie.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 2, 2014 21:14

Now are you just being a "smarty-pants" because they used session musicians on the recordings? haha cause he was indeed the drummer on stage...or is it the birthdate or place of birth?

Date: February 2, 2014 21:49

Yes, i was refering to the fact that he didn't play on the records. Haven't checked the birthdate or place - I bet there's something wrong there, too!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-02 21:49 by Thommie.

Date: February 2, 2014 23:31

originalstones
Aquamarine

Rob

Lenny Davidson and Dave Clark are the only 2 left.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 3, 2014 00:08

@Thommie...I was a bit let-down when years later I realized that trademark drum intro to so many DC5 songs was someone else! I would have like to have actually seen a live performance by them to check out their "real" chops! I really don't know too much history of them, for instance if they were a bona-fide performing band before fame...

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 3, 2014 09:01

thanks bob r, will look for the show. Kicks! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
One of my friends saw Herman's Hermits @ the Westbury Music Fair in NY a couple years back, Peter Noone autographed a double CD set for her. cool smiley

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 4, 2014 10:59

The DC5 had some excellent singles, and the 'History Of' CD released about a decade ago was a great example of what a wonderful singles band they were

Albums though, very patchy. They released something like 4 albums in '64, 4 in '65, an amazing output but quality suffered greatly. The albums had a brilliant song or two (usually the singles), and an awful lot of filler to make up the numbers.

Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: February 5, 2014 04:30

scottkeef
@Thommie...I was a bit let-down when years later I realized that trademark drum intro to so many DC5 songs was someone else! I would have like to have actually seen a live performance by them to check out their "real" chops! I really don't know too much history of them, for instance if they were a bona-fide performing band before fame...

I saw them twice, afternoon rehearsal for the Ed Sullivan Show, in '64 and '65. They played live, and it was great, Mike was just the best. They also played more songs than were broadcast that night, which I never understood if it was a timed rehearsal, but it happened both times and I was very young and very, very excited. I've never been a big fan of Dave Clark, the man. I applaud his protecting himself when so many of his contemporaries were being ripped off, but it seems he held on a little too tight for a little too long, glad Bruce was able to persuade him to loosen up, shame he couldn't do it when Mike needed a wheelchair. Seems that a lot of people are afraid of him. Pathetic.

Date: February 5, 2014 10:36

IrelandCalling4
The albums had a brilliant song or two (usually the singles), and an awful lot of filler to make up the numbers.

Like most bands of the time, really. Except . . . winking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 5, 2014 10:46

Aquamarine
IrelandCalling4
The albums had a brilliant song or two (usually the singles), and an awful lot of filler to make up the numbers.

...The Beatles! Yeah I know! cool smiley

Posted by: ash ()
Date: February 5, 2014 16:21

I don't understand DC's unwillingness to reissue the DC5 output properly or even badly for that matter.
No-one seems to know why unless he's worried that such a programme would leave him open to legal action from other songwriters (Ron Ryan ?) and musicians/estates. He must be spending a certain amount to store all the tapes unless he's junked everything bar the greatest hits. Why bother to keep the tapes ? Why not sell them or chuck them away ?
A quick read of a DC5 board suggests the guy's less popular than Mike Love at a Van Dyke Parks poetry evening or Tom Keylock at a "My friend Brian Jones" charity swimming gala.
If what was reported at the beginning of the thread is correct, why would he not be keen on a PBS show on the DC5 ? They'll have to fork out some dough to licence the songs. The other guys in the band apparently have/had such airtight contracts with him that they've never said anything bad about him beyond "i can't talk about that" and most of them are dead anyway. Maybe there isn't anything bad. Everyone knows Bobby Graham drummed on the records. So what, he drummed on all the best Kinks tracks too till Face To Face iirc.
The RSG debacle did him no favours but i suspect he couldn't care less and that was 30 years ago.
Is there any firm factual information on DC and the DC5 as far as the running of the band etc. is concerned both then and now ? It seems crazy that there appears to be some kind of a problem 50 years after the event.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 5, 2014 16:44

Come On
Aquamarine
IrelandCalling4

Yeah ! The Beatles and The Stones were so consistent through the years for having so many good songs on all albums.
Can't think of many others. Maybe Led Zep,Beach Boys,Kinks maybe but not nearly as many as the Big Two.

Also ,Dave Clark has always been a bit reclusive in his private life and business life.
Not seen many interviews since the end of DC5.

Date: February 5, 2014 20:29

crawdaddy
Come On
Aquamarine
IrelandCalling4

Yeah ! The Beatles and The Stones were so consistent through the years for having so many good songs on all albums.
Can't think of many others. Maybe Led Zep,Beach Boys,Kinks maybe but not nearly as many as the Big Two.

Also ,Dave Clark has always been a bit reclusive in his private life and business life.
Not seen many interviews since the end of DC5.
Not surprised about Led Zep, they were operating in the album era and I wouldn't compare them with the others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-05 20:30 by Thommie.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 5, 2014 20:36

Very true about Led Zep.
Could probably count their singles on two fingers let alone one hand. winking smiley

Date: February 5, 2014 21:42

The Animals had pretty solid albums too.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2161
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home