Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: Black and Blue, great LP
Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 00:21

Yes.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 14, 2013 00:24

Hey Negrita is the last sleazy, funky Stones song. It has a lot of magic to it. As for the album I really don't like it, particularly Hand Of Fate and Crazy Mama. The only other songs on it I like are Melody and Fool To Cry.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 14, 2013 00:57

I really love B&B. The sound. The soul. Mick's vocals. To me the stand out tracks are Melody, Memory Motel and Fool to Cry. The only track I dislike is Cherry Oh Baby. B&B has aged very well!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 14, 2013 01:16

Quite some mixed opinions.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 14, 2013 02:19

The monthly Goats Head Soup/It's Only Rock 'n' Roll/Black And Blue/Emotional Rescue/Undercover is a great album-thread!

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 14, 2013 02:40

I love Black and Blue,if I remember it was my 1987 soundtrack

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 14, 2013 03:52

EddieByword
2000man
great LP. one bad song

Cherry oh baby? If so I'll go with that too..........I love Black & Blue

I agree. Yet. That's what's so great about it, how bad it really is. Black And Blue is a great album. OK it's not "great" in the classic sense of what a great Stones album is, your Big 4 and all that. To me it's just as important of an album in their discography as Undercover is. It's different. Maybe Some Girls is different too since they've not sounded like that one ever again but it's gotten so much airplay that it seems like one of the normal sounding Stones albums.

Date: November 14, 2013 03:55

Still astounds me to this day that they left Slave and Worried About You unfinished. Just imagine the album with those tracks on it as well.

Had they finished them, of course.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:09

Would have been a cracking EP. I think it was the longest gap between Stones albums ever by that point (about 18 months - those were the days, eh?) and an 8-song release with no really anthemic songs must have been a bit underwhelming.

The sound on it is superb. A couple of songs are great hooks which dont get fully developed but are enjoyable enough workouts (Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita). 'Hot Stuff' has impressed me live on the few occasions theyve tried it in recent years. They should try it more often.

Crazy Mama always struck me as the Stones copying the Faces copying the Stones. Great tune but something just missing to make it a top drawer Stones gem. 'Hand of Fate' is pretty good. 'Fool to Cry' was an odd choice as first single - its a bit of a curate's egg of a song. Not overly fussed on the lyrics, but musically its really nice.

'Memory Motel' is the one bonafide classic song on the album. One of their finest ballads, and they did a great job in blending two separately written songs by each of the Glimmer Twins into a song of such beauty. I've always liked 'Cherry Oh Baby''s quirkiness.

Never liked 'Melody' at all. One of my least favourite Stones tunes - saying that, I did enjoy hearing it when they played it at Shepherds Bush in 1999.

Worried About You and Slave were both improved when they had bits added to them for Tattoo You, although maybe Worried About You was good enough in '76 to be released. As far as I'm aware, 'Slave' had no lyrics until years later, so saying it should have been on the original album is a bit of a moot point. The versions on Tattoo You are both better records than anything on Black and Blue with the possible exception of Memory Motel.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:00

double post ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 05:10 by LeonidP.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:01

I've always loved it ... especially Cherry Oh Baby!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:32

That trifecta of albums (GHS, IORR and B&cool smiley, I think has aged pretty well, like Satanic Majesties and Buttons. But for some reason, there's someting missing from B&B, and I could never figure out what it was. Love the tunes. Maybe it's the "album experience". Like Steel Wheels, I though thought they were good tunes on their own, but as an album, something seemed to be missing. Then again, there were a lot aof albums in the '70s like that.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:44

GasLightStreet
Still astounds me to this day that they left Slave and Worried About You unfinished. Just imagine the album with those tracks on it as well.

But this would have lessened the effect of Tattoo You, and TY was very important in bringing the younger generation into the fan fold at the time because it made them seem like a great and credible, viable band--otherwise, the last glimpse of greatness would have been Some Girls, and with just Emotional Rescue and Undercover defining their music for the first half of the 80s, perhaps my generation wouldn't have taken to them so readily and completely. Also without TY Undercover wouldn't have had the same impact. TY was a very important release that was done at the right time, and every track was crucial to its success.

Plus with Black and Blue being so-so and hit or miss with so many fans, it magnifies the effect of Some Girls, which was seen at the time as a major comeback--and if B&B had been the flawless major blockbuster that some here like to envision, then Some Girls might have been viewed at the time and retrospectively as just another Stones album.

Date: November 14, 2013 07:15

stonehearted
GasLightStreet

But this would have lessened the effect of Tattoo You, and TY was very important in bringing the younger generation into the fan fold at the time because it made them seem like a great and credible, viable band--otherwise, the last glimpse of greatness would have been Some Girls, and with just Emotional Rescue and Undercover defining their music for the first half of the 80s, perhaps my generation wouldn't have taken to them so readily and completely. Also without TY Undercover wouldn't have had the same impact. TY was a very important release that was done at the right time, and every track was crucial to its success.

Plus with Black and Blue being so-so and hit or miss with so many fans, it magnifies the effect of Some Girls, which was seen at the time as a major comeback--and if B&B had been the flawless major blockbuster that some here like to envision, then Some Girls might have been viewed at the time and retrospectively as just another Stones album.

No it would not have - because if they were released on BAB then you wouldn't be able to say that about TY knowing what you know. Perhaps more ER leftovers would have been used. Or other BAB or SG leftovers. More songs than appear on the LP were worked on. How many exactly I don't know. One site shows two more songs. But I recall Jagger saying they started out with 20 something tracks. Maybe one day they will be released if they were finished.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 14, 2013 08:02

Save Me or Plundered my Soul may have made their way to TY, never know. I think Hey Negrita bumped Slave and Worried Bout You got bumped by the two existing ballads. Black & Blue might make for an interesting deluxe package?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 08:14

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:24 by camper88.

Date: November 14, 2013 10:19

DandelionPowderman
Lovely album. Very versatile, and with fantastic production.

I like all the tracks.

+1

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:41

buttons67
i agree black and blue would be great, if some songs were replaced by others, and more were added on.

but they wernt, so judging black and blue on its own merits, its a great sounding album, buts its too short and as such needs most of the songs to be strong, which they are not.

crazy mama
memory motel

are the high points.

hand of fate
fool to cry
hey negrita

are average at best, although sound quality is clearer than previous albums.

melody
hot stuff
cherry o baby

are disappointing.

the albums not really my cup of tea but i can see how others like it.

you need a shot in your tea smiling smiley

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: November 14, 2013 11:19

GREAT ALBUM
GREAT ARTWORK
GREAT SONGS
GREAT SOUND
JUST GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 14, 2013 15:11

Maindefender
Save Me or Plundered my Soul may have made their way to TY, never know. I think Hey Negrita bumped Slave and Worried Bout You got bumped by the two existing ballads. Black & Blue might make for an interesting deluxe package?

Oh yes, especially if it had high quality sound versions of the 11 minute Hey Negrita and the long Slave.....

Date: November 14, 2013 15:49

Someone that bothers with Wikipedia needs to correctly fix the Black And Blue page, partly because of this lack of information right here:

"Fool to Cry" was the only track from Black and Blue to appear on the Stones' career-spanning greatest hits albums Forty Licks in 2002 and GRRR! in 2012.

Oh I see. So Sucking In The Seventies, Rewind and Jump Back don't count.

Date: November 14, 2013 16:07

GasLightStreet
Someone that bothers with Wikipedia needs to correctly fix the Black And Blue page, partly because of this lack of information right here:

"Fool to Cry" was the only track from Black and Blue to appear on the Stones' career-spanning greatest hits albums Forty Licks in 2002 and GRRR! in 2012.

Oh I see. So Sucking In The Seventies, Rewind and Jump Back don't count.

But were those compilations "career-spanning"?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 14, 2013 20:18

crumbling_mice
Love it all...a great record and as many of you have asserted, the production/mix is perfect and they never really got back to this standard, although Some Girls came close. It captures the Stones sound and the boys are playing really well. The various guitarists who were being 'auditioned' also do a great job. Hey Negrita is just the funkiest and raunchiest Stones song thanks to Ron's brilliant riff. I'm off to give this a spin, it;s been too long!

Yeah, mthe over-all sound is great, nice 'temperature dynamics', feels like the music's happening IN you!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 14, 2013 20:54

Yeah, the sound on this is absolutely great, for whatever you think of the songs.

I love the songs, even Cherry Oh Baby I can live with.

Hey Negrita, Hand Of Fate (Jagger's vocal is sublime on this one), Memory Motel all classics IMHO.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 21:02

I love a lot of this record, including Cherry Oh Baby (!) and the sound is wonderful but it's a minor Stones album, like a minor novel or film in an artist's canon. It definitely holds up though, and has worn well.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 14, 2013 21:10

I did a lot of good shagging to that album. Yeah, happy memories.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: November 14, 2013 21:42

I love the album and it does sound great - in fact, I always use it as my "reference" album when testing out stereo equipment.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: November 14, 2013 22:25

Try playing it after playing Exile. You'll be amazed at the difference in sound quality.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 14, 2013 22:31

EDIT - wrong thread!...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 22:32 by treaclefingers.

Date: November 14, 2013 22:58

Definitely one of my favorite Stones albums. You've got your big FIVE (as GHS should always be included in that--all 5 of the Jimmy Miller records are great and GHS is one of the 2 best!), your Black And Blue, Tattoo You, Satanic Majesties (total masterpiece, I agree with His Majesty on this one--a psychedelic masterwork!), Some Girls, Emotional Rescue.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home