Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Black and Blue, great LP
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 19, 2013 17:05

DandelionPowderman
All the Black And Blue-bashing here just motivated me further to pick the ol' album up again.

It is a classic - lovely album!

It may be short on songs, but the amount of music on it is just as much as other albums.

Vinyl CD or download...just curious.

Also, rather amazed that an aficionado such as yourself didn't already have it. Are you missing other albums out of the catalogue?

Date: November 19, 2013 17:45

Vinyl, of course! confused smiley

And by "picking", I actually meant literally doing a detective search for it in my collection - it's been a while grinning smiley

The only "album" I don't own right now is Flowers. Dunno why, but I reckon I have to buy it some day...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 19, 2013 18:06

One slightly negative thing about B&B, for me, is that the pruduction is too clean and the mix is maybe a bit too open and transparent.
Not enough "mysterious" instrumentation in the background that you can't quite hear but can add so much to the feel.

Does that make sense to anybody else ?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 19, 2013 18:52

Oh yeah, I agree totally about the lack of interesting production. I think the sound quality and overall EQ (balance between bass and treble and so on) is great, it's very punchy and good sounding, better than Some Girls in that regard.

But B&B doesn't have that wicked feel that Beggars Banquet and Exile has tons of, where you can listen for years and still wonder what's going on in there, who's playing what, and what instrument is that, and so on. I think it was partly because Jimmy Miller wasn't involved anymore (although he according to some people didn't influence Exile all that much either).

Date: November 19, 2013 22:17

DandelionPowderman

And by "picking", I actually meant literally doing a detective search for it in my collection - it's been a while grinning smiley

The only "album" I don't own right now is Flowers. Dunno why, but I reckon I have to buy it some day...

OK that makes sense!

Regarding Flowers, that's probably the only stones album I only have one copy of!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 19, 2013 22:46

treaclefingers

Regarding Flowers, that's probably the only stones album I only have one copy of!

Is it sealed?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 19, 2013 23:26

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 19, 2013 23:33

No. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: November 19, 2013 23:40

Rockman

thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 20, 2013 00:31

LieB
Oh yeah, I agree totally about the lack of interesting production. I think the sound quality and overall EQ (balance between bass and treble and so on) is great, it's very punchy and good sounding, better than Some Girls in that regard.

But B&B doesn't have that wicked feel that Beggars Banquet and Exile has tons of, where you can listen for years and still wonder what's going on in there, who's playing what, and what instrument is that, and so on. I think it was partly because Jimmy Miller wasn't involved anymore (although he according to some people didn't influence Exile all that much either).

I think by the time of B&B it was a whole different setup. The musicality of Mick Taylor was gone. The Stones were spread out around the world and were spending less and less time with each other. Exile was sort of the end of that musical sprawl where you could come up with all sorts of interesting sounds layer upon layer. After Exile they just game together to slam out songs for an album and got away from each other as fast as possible.

Still, Black and Blue is a good half album. HOF and CM are boring, and probably their first retro songs, trying to come up with a couple classic
'Stones' songs because it was expected of them. They should have stuck to the theme and made an entire album of funk and reggae.

Date: November 20, 2013 00:37

ROCKMAN

Date: November 20, 2013 02:59

His Majesty
treaclefingers

Is it sealed?

Actually, I just checked. I have a sealed copy AND an open copy. I don't even remember when I bought it!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 20, 2013 03:07

Interesting comment by Keith in the quote posted above about The Stones being "an English band" and that "It would have been too big a breech to start going international".

B-B-B-B-B-But, the music--the band is based on and inspired by American music. So if Muddy Waters or Chuck Berry or someone from their bands wanted to become a Rolling Stone they wouldn't have been allowed because.... they're not English?

They'll take the non-English music, just not the non-English musicians. Curious.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 20, 2013 03:10

This album is a masterpeice!! Song election, order, is correct. It's a personal fav that does not get credit where due. I've listened to this album just as much as any other Stones' work. Please do not open the sealed album. That is a great personal asset!

Side one

1."Ruby Tuesday" – 3:17 A January 1967 single release also featured on the American edition of Between the Buttons

2."Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?" – 2:34 A September 1966 single release

3."Let's Spend the Night Together" – 3:36 A January 1967 single release also featured on the American edition of Between the Buttons

4."Lady Jane" – 3:08 Also featured on Aftermath in 1966, as well as the b-side of the U.S.-only "Mother's Little Helper" single in July 1966

5."Out of Time" – 3:41 An abridged alternate mix of the version originally released on the British edition of Aftermath in 1966

6."My Girl" (Smokey Robinson/Ronald White) – 2:38 Previously unreleased; recorded in May 1965, with strings added in fall 1966

Side two

1."Backstreet Girl" – 3:26 Originally released on the British edition of Between the Buttons

2."Please Go Home" – 3:17 Originally released on the British edition of Between the Buttons

3."Mother's Little Helper" – 2:46 Originally released on the British edition of Aftermath; first released in the U.S. as a single in July 1966

4."Take It or Leave It" – 2:46 Originally released on the British edition of Aftermath

5."Ride On, Baby" – 2:52 Previously unreleased; recorded during the 1965 sessions for Aftermath

6."Sittin' on a Fence" – 3:03

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 20, 2013 03:11

stonehearted
Interesting comment by Keith in the quote posted above about The Stones being "an English band" and that "It would have been too big a breech to start going international".

B-B-B-B-B-But, the music--the band is based on and inspired by American music. So if Muddy Waters or Chuck Berry or someone from their bands wanted to become a Rolling Stone they wouldn't have been allowed because.... they're not English?

They'll take the non-English music, just not the non-English musicians. Curious.

And the two musicians we bitch about the most, Darryl and Chuck, are Americans. Keith should have stuck to his guns.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 20, 2013 03:15

^ Not to mention Bobby Keys--I think Keith was referring to the core band, the one that appears on album covers and promo posters and the like.

Date: November 20, 2013 03:29

Chris Fountain
This album is a masterpeice!! Song election, order, is correct. It's a personal fav that does not get credit where due. I've listened to this album just as much as any other Stones' work. Please do not open the sealed album. That is a great personal asset!

Thanks Chris,

I would be remiss in not pointing out that it is an 80s ABKCO reissue, so my enthusiasm for it is qualified. Having said that I certainly wouldn't open it!

I've collected quite a few sealed. Some of the more interesting ones:

The Rolling Stones (debut album) on DECCA - I'm sure it's a reissue, but even still I don't know the last time they released this. I think it may be a 70s issue.

Out Of Our Heads US, on the LONDON label - it's in stereo but looks as though it's pasted over a mono sleeve.

Between The Buttons US, on London label in stereo

Beggar's Banquet US, on London label in stereo also the 2002 DSD remaster

Through The Past Darkly US, two of them, both on London label in stereo, both are octagonals (Love these)

GYYYO again US on London label

Sticky Fingers reissue, without working zipper

Hot Rocks with gold promo stamp London label...

Beyond that I have everything in still sealed stated after GHS.

I did a lot of collecting a few years ago. I'm feeling much better now.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 20, 2013 03:38

treaclefingers
Chris Fountain

Thanks Chris,

I would be remiss in not pointing out that it is an 80s ABKCO reissue, so my enthusiasm for it is qualified. Having said that I certainly wouldn't open it!

The Rolling Stones (debut album) on DECCA - I'm sure it's a reissue, but even still I don't know the last time they released this. I think it may be a 70s issue.

Out Of Our Heads US, on the LONDON label - it's in stereo but looks as though it's pasted over a mono sleeve.

Through The Past Darkly US, two of them, both on London label in stereo, both are octagonals (Love these)

Nice - Through the Past Darkly octangular album cover is awesome.

December's Children is not on the list. Any particular reason? BTW- the album cover pic is awesome! Not to mention the song list "I'm Free, "Blue Turns to Gray" Singer not the Song" etc..

Date: November 20, 2013 03:52

Chris Fountain
treaclefingers
Chris Fountain

Thanks Chris,

Nice - Through the Past Darkly octangular album cover is awesome.

December's Children is not on the list. Any particular reason? BTW- the album cover pic is awesome! Not to mention the song list "I'm Free, "Blue Turns to Gray" Singer not the Song" etc..

Just never came across a sealed copy!

I've got a few other ABKCO reissues that I hadn't listed. The early sealed ones have gotten insanely expensive. Try even finding an original Let it Bleed or Sticky Fingers. I saw an original Exile sealed go for over $900 if my memory is serving me correctly, just crazy.

And those are the US albums. I'm sure any original DECCA's would go for a king's ransom. I've never even seen any listed on ebay before.

Can you imagine what an original debut album on DECCA in sealed condition would go for? I wonder if any even exist.

Actually, as we're quite far off topic, I'm going to sign off on this, and post this entire conversation to the Let's Talk Rare STONES vinyl thread.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 20, 2013 16:29

Munichhilton
LeonidP
Munichhilton
LeonidP
kleermaker
His Majesty
michaelsavage
Thousands???? Not

Yes, thousands.

Name them please.

Now that's fu@&ing funny!

sonomastone
B&B is an awful album by anyone's standards. even mid-70s stones.

Wrong.

Piss off...black and blue is the only Stones LP with glory and guts
Damn good listen until FTC happens.
s
Umm... we were in agreement

I know Leo...I can't figure out who the hell I'm talking to anymore...

No problem - I will spin this album again and listen to its brilliance (especially Hand Of Fate ... and Cherry Oh Baby)

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: November 22, 2013 22:52

Rockman

Good thinking Keith -

I wish the same 'logic' had applied to Chuck and Darryl choices - but I guess they were Mick's, eh?

Oh and Keith - Ian Stewart wasn't English!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 22, 2013 22:57

Rockman
It's a hot-weather album ...PLAY LOUD when the sun is scorching down
Doesn't sounds as good during the winter months...same thing with Burning Spear albums....

Effing bang on the money again, RockitMan.

In the UK it was hottest and dryest summer ever recorded.
The hottest summer record ever recorded too.

Fool To Cry and Memory so floaty.

But released at start of an Australian winter - was that hot too that year?!

Date: November 22, 2013 23:16

...I kid you not ...try listening to Dry & Heavy in the winter...it ain't quite the same

ROCKMAN

Date: November 23, 2013 00:16

Well, as it's one I don't know, I'll get a copy in your honour and let you know - next year!

It's now a cold, cold winter in the UK - so I'll settle for GHS or any winter Reggae record you may compatibly recommend.

Date: November 23, 2013 00:25

Jamaican noise for a UK winter ....try King Tubby Presents The Roots Of Dub

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 23, 2013 21:24

DandelionPowderman

The only 1960s albums I have are Beggars and Bleed. I have yet to get the rest of the 2002 reissues for some reason.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 23, 2013 22:01

DandelionPowderman

Well, you could always download Ride On Baby, Sittin' On A Fence and My Girl. I suspect you have!

Date: November 23, 2013 22:10

Deluxtone
Well, as it's one I don't know, I'll get a copy in your honour and let you know - next year!

It's now a cold, cold winter in the UK - so I'll settle for GHS or any winter Reggae record you may compatibly recommend.

Isn't Bob Marley Legends the 'go to' for Reggae.

I'd HIGHLY recommend my favourite reggae album of all time, the soundtrack to the early 70s film, The Harder They Come, featuring Jimmy Cliff, Toots and the Maytals, Desmond Dekker and others.

Fama dem fayaka! Manacle, and den go sacka! ...or something.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 23, 2013 23:33

treaclefingers

Isn't Bob Marley Legends the 'go to' for Reggae.

It's usually the 'one' reggae album in most households! It's one of the top-20 biggest-selling albums in the U.K.

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: November 24, 2013 03:51

GasLightStreet
Still astounds me to this day that they left Slave and Worried About You unfinished. Just imagine the album with those tracks on it as well.

Had they finished them, of course.

I can't see
"Slave" on same album as "Hey Negrita" - riff too similar. 253413
Other than that I can listen to the whole album just to hear the two instances on "Hey Negrita": one @ 2:53 when Jagger goes "shtickkatikkasuckkadupanow", and @ 4:13 right after a slightly atonal piano run by BillP, when Ollie answers with the cowbell.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home