Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12
Re: Undercover -A really great L.P
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 24, 2013 15:52

LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS
Too Much Blood is the only highlight on this album

Seriously? I mean if you like Too Much Blood, how is it that you don't like Undercover of the Night, or Pretty Beat Up or Tie You Up?

I can get not liking the album, but to like that song and not the rest is perplexing to me.

You just listed your top stones albums above, and put Tattoo You and Undercover above albums like Sticky and Exile ... and you question where this guy is coming from??? (although I do have to agree with one thing, as Too Much Blood is the only bad song on this album).

You need to reread my post, that isn't at all what I said...

Actually its exactly what you said:

"You've got your big four, Tattoo You, Some Girls, Between The Buttons, Aftermath, Black and Blue, Undercover."

Although I guess if I didn't scan over it too quickly I would have seen that you listed more than 4 and possibly figured it out.

Dear lord, you've reread it and you still don't know what 'your big four' means? I'm hereby revoking your fan club membership and placing you on citizen's arrest.

You'll be detained for questioning...oh you're in real trouble now my friend.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 24, 2013 18:00

treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS

Seriously? I mean if you like Too Much Blood, how is it that you don't like Undercover of the Night, or Pretty Beat Up or Tie You Up?

I can get not liking the album, but to like that song and not the rest is perplexing to me.

You just listed your top stones albums above, and put Tattoo You and Undercover above albums like Sticky and Exile ... and you question where this guy is coming from??? (although I do have to agree with one thing, as Too Much Blood is the only bad song on this album).

"You've got your big four, Tattoo You, Some Girls, Between The Buttons, Aftermath, Black and Blue, Undercover."

Although I guess if I didn't scan over it too quickly I would have seen that you listed more than 4 and possibly figured it out.

Dear lord, you've reread it and you still don't know what 'your big four' means? I'm hereby revoking your fan club membership and placing you on citizen's arrest.

LeonidP, how is "your big four, Tattoo You, Some Girls, Between The Buttons, Aftermath, Black and Blue, Undercover" confused for not including Beggars, LIB, SF and EOMS?

He did not say "your big four" meaning Tattoo You, Some Girls, Between The Buttons, Aftermath, Black and Blue, Undercover" because, in case you can't count that, that's SIX albums. Nor did he list those 6 albums before the Big Four.

You must've eaten a funny cookie.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 24, 2013 21:59

Please send me a few "funny cookies".

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 25, 2013 13:54

treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS

I know what the 'big four' is, but that doesn't mean that i know what you think those same big four are. If you (and a couple others) really need the grammar lesson, then it should have read something like this: "You've got your big four AND Tattoo You, Some Girls, Between The Buttons, Aftermath, Black and Blue, Undercover." Obviously I didn't know what you thought the big four is ... now I do, not that big a deal really.

Date: October 25, 2013 15:11

LOL! grinning smiley

Date: October 25, 2013 17:02

LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS

I know what the 'big four' is, but that doesn't mean that i know what you think those same big four are. If you (and a couple others) really need the grammar lesson, then it should have read something like this: "You've got your big four AND Tattoo You, Some Girls, Between The Buttons, Aftermath, Black and Blue, Undercover." Obviously I didn't know what you thought the big four is ... now I do, not that big a deal really.

Thanks...all I wanted was your complete capitulation, a sense that you were being completely contrite, and a heart felt apology.

Now we're good.

Date: October 25, 2013 20:56

"There is a moment early on in "Too Tough," a terrific song on the second side, that sums up all of the Stones' extraordinary powers. With the guitars locked into a headlong riff and Mick Jagger hoarsely berating the woman who "screwed me down with kindness" and "suffocating love," the track is already off to a hot start; but then Charlie Watts comes barreling in on tom-toms and boots the tune onto a whole new level of gut-punching brilliance. That the Stones are still capable of such exhilarating energy is cause enough for wondrous comment; that they are able to sustain such musical force over the course of an entire LP is rather astonishing. Undercover is the most impressive of the albums the group has released since its mid-Seventies career slump (the others being Some Girls, Emotional Rescue and 1981's remarkable Tattoo You) because, within the band's R&B-based limits, it is the most consistently and energetically inventive."
-Kurt Loder - Rolling Stone

Date: October 25, 2013 21:28

What kurt said...is he spanish speaking by any chance?

Date: October 25, 2013 21:30

treaclefingers

smoking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: October 25, 2013 21:40

treaclefingers

no....he is speaking in the language of music - the universal language of mankind, and womankind and babykind... communing with the heart of the music and in our communion we become inseparably one....and silence is the source of everything.. or something like that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-25 21:41 by wanderingspirit66.

Date: October 25, 2013 21:52

Errrr, I think treacle was referencing the song "Memo From Turner".

Date: October 25, 2013 21:56

Elmo Lewis
Errrr, I think treacle was referencing the song "Memo From Turner".
my bad...in English, I think Kurt Loder is correct about Undercover

Date: October 25, 2013 22:14

Always loved Too Tough...such sleazy sounding guitars and vocals...just love it.

Who said this album has no guitars?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 25, 2013 22:32

treaclefingers
Always loved Too Tough...such sleazy sounding guitars and vocals...just love it.

It is a great album. Million times better than this "Say, Say, Say" or "Evony and Ivory" crap.

Date: October 25, 2013 22:38

mtaylor
treaclefingers

It is a great album. Million times better than this "Say, Say, Say" or "Evony and Ivory" crap.

Yes, the early eighties was a lot of that. Undercover was brilliant for it's time.

Such an unusual song, Undercover of the Night, and interesting choice for lead single.

I don't think people really knew what to make of it...it killed album sales unfortunately. People were probably expecting a more anthemic, "Start Me Up-ish" lead single and Undercover of the Night certainly wasn't that.

But I like better. No ballads on the album, a real departure.

But just because it didn't sell as well doesn't detract from the quality of the music.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: October 25, 2013 23:31

It took me many years before I even heard this album, mainly because I became a fan only in the mid-90s and had so much to explore! But it is one of those albums that has evolved for me, and although it is by all means no LIB, I still like it a lot. She was hot and Too tough are especially good, listened to SWH just this evening on my mp3 - coincidentally.

---

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Date: October 26, 2013 06:21

treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS

Thanks...all I wanted was your complete capitulation, a sense that you were being completely contrite, and a heart felt apology.

Now we're good.

Great! Now that we know you were wrong, let's address the fact that you still rank Undercover above albums like, IORR, RS NOW, England's Newest etc. Still makes one question whether you're qualified to question that poster's inclusion of Too Much Blood as a great tune.

Date: October 26, 2013 06:23

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS

LeonidP, how is "your big four, Tattoo You, Some Girls, Between The Buttons, Aftermath, Black and Blue, Undercover" confused for not including Beggars, LIB, SF and EOMS?

He did not say "your big four" meaning Tattoo You, Some Girls, Between The Buttons, Aftermath, Black and Blue, Undercover" because, in case you can't count that, that's SIX albums. Nor did he list those 6 albums before the Big Four.

ummm... like I said, I scanned and did not count. Nonetheless it would have been his miscount, not mine, as it was his list.

Date: October 26, 2013 17:11

LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS

Now we're good.

Great! Now that we know you were wrong, let's address the fact that you still rank Undercover above albums like, IORR, RS NOW, England's Newest etc. Still makes one question whether you're qualified to question that poster's inclusion of Too Much Blood as a great tune.

LOL...you're too much

Date: October 26, 2013 17:14

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS

ummm... like I said, I scanned and did not count. Nonetheless it would have been his miscount, not mine, as it was his list.

Don't make your denseness my issue please. It would have been my 'miscount', had I miscounted anything...but I didn't, you did. Why you're trying to justify your miscalculation is mystifying. Let it go dude.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 26, 2013 17:25

Besides, U is better than IORR.

Date: October 27, 2013 19:40

treaclefingers
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS

Don't make your denseness my issue please. It would have been my 'miscount', had I miscounted anything...but I didn't, you did. Why you're trying to justify your miscalculation is mystifying. Let it go dude.

How would it be my miscount? It was your post.

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 22:34

I found it very random, but great to see they played Wanna Hold You in some of the set lists during the ABB tour. Can't believe Mick gave it the green light that late in the game.

Date: October 27, 2013 22:42

LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS

Look...proving you're dense over & over stopped being fun for me days ago.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 27, 2013 23:38

brownsugar86
I found it very random, but great to see they played Wanna Hold You in some of the set lists during the ABB tour. Can't believe Mick gave it the green light that late in the game.

Did they really? Anyway, I don't think Jagger has a say whatever Keith does with his solo numbers.

- Doxa

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 23:51

Doxa
brownsugar86

Did they really? Anyway, I don't think Jagger has a say whatever Keith does with his solo numbers.

- Doxa
Yeah, according to the set list fm web site they played it at the o2, London in '07. Must of been a sea of wealthy casual listeners and corporate sponsor types heading for the bar & toilets.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 28, 2013 04:13

brownsugar86
Doxa
brownsugar86

- Doxa
Yeah, according to the set list fm web site they played it at the o2, London in a '07. Must of been a sea of wealthy casual listeners and corporate sponsor types heading for the bar & toilets.

It was also played throughout the 1997/1998 Bridges to Babylon tour.........almost every night

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-28 04:14 by EddieByword.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 28, 2013 04:46

The first album by the Rolling Stones where the majority of songs are sub-standard, plain and simple. Unfortunately it wasn't the last.

Date: October 28, 2013 06:07

treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
NICOS

Look...proving I'm dense over & over stopped being fun for me days ago.

Okay, I'll stop, proving you wrong was enough, no need for me to rub it in!

Date: October 28, 2013 12:26

Doxa
brownsugar86

- Doxa

It was a staple in the Keith set on the european leg of the tour smiling smiley

First time in standard tuning, btw - but then again, Keith didn't play much on it...

From the infamous 2007 Gothenburg concert:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-28 14:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1307
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home